Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

Depressive movies/animes.

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

'm looking for tragic movies which doesn't feel fake, which doesn't have this stamp of Hollywood production or that just jokes with things. I want serious business (lol internets) in either a good aesthetic way, storytelling or acting. Of course if there's some anime like that you can tell me too.

To give you a few examples: NGE, obviously, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (atleast I enjoyed it, maybe because I was tired and felt melancholic - some seem to hate it.), Saikano. In movies I haven't really found something which are in the style of those animes I mentioned, but I do enjoy works by directors such as Werner Herzog, Kieslowski and so on. Enlighten me. :)
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:55 pm

What did you think of Grave of the Fireflies? or AIR?
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:56 pm

Gunslinger Girl. The entire thing is fucking tragic from start to end.

Some parts of Cowboy Bebop are really sad as well. I mean, the last two episodes are, obviously, but everyone seems to forget one like when Jet looks up his old girlfriend, or the one about the kid trying to get medicine for his sister.

Also, the death of Optimus Prime is one of the saddest moments in any film ever.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 pm

I thought Chrono Crusade was depressing as hell. The two main charecters die and the bad guy is re-incarnated? WTF?

*SIGH* I really need to see Gunslinger Girl. Everyone says it's good, but I'm just too fuckin lazy to add it to my Netflix Que.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Haven't seen AIR, but Grave of the Fireflies was awesome - perhaps I should see AIR then! Quick synopsis?

And Gungslinger Girl seems interesting and I've heard a lof of people talking good of it, so that's something else I think I'd watch. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hehe, death of Optimus Prime? Well, maybe... ;)

/edit

Aye, I've seen Chrno Crusade - the series was pretty shit but the ending was worth it since one had built up some kind of relation with the characters. But let's keep the spoilers away for those that haven't watched it. :)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 pm

Sventevith wrote:Haven't seen AIR, but Grave of the Fireflies was awesome - perhaps I should see AIR then! Quick synopsis?

I didn't mean to group the 2 together like that, AIR is probably more along the lines of Saikano and Rumbling Hearts. Yukito, this guy who travels from town to town in search of a cursed girl with wings. The show has 3 story arcs, the first is told from Yukito's point of view, the second is set 1000 years ago and goes into what the curse is, and the last is a retelling (and continuation) of the first arc told from Sora, a crow.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm

No worries, I didn't take it like that - I was just jumping from one thing to another in the same sentence.

But it sounds good, I think that's what I'll watch next then!

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 pm

Elfen Lied?

I found it depressing, but I loved it.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:13 am

The most depressing thing about Saikano was that it represents 7 hours of my life I won't get back. It was far too heavy-handed to be depressing, or even, after the first few episodes, even somewhat sad.

Chise was surprising in being even less suited to her role, and more supine, than Shinji.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 am

im going to have to see Elfen Lied...

I just watched the epsiode of Full Metal Panic: Second Raid where Sagara is told he is no longer assinged to Chidori and is forbidden to make any contact with her...

i thought that was pretty emotional...good effect with him punching the labtop screen broken...(he luvs her)...thats one of the best anime series...

I actually cried twice during Rozen Madien...first when Shinku gets her arm torn off...She sobbs that she is a defective toy and how she is no longer fit to be Alice (who she desires to become) ,the perfect girl with no flaws...

Second was at the end when Sugin-To is burning and weeps "I am not junk"...we find out that Rozen didnt even bother to finish her design and threw her torsoless body out...like a failed drawing...

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:14 am

Mundane wrote:Elfen Lied?

I found it depressing, but I loved it.

Seen it, it was damn good - but it didn't move me. :) And Rozen Maiden seems interesting, and I've had it on the computer for a good while - supose that's next after AIR.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:50 am

In Elfen Lied, they really went out of their way to make the viewers feel bad. Can't really think of any other works that can compare to that downer.

About the saddest thing I ever did, tho, was listen to Dia Psalma's 'Höstmåne' for the first time.

EDIT: A couple more songs that I find stirring. Mostly due to lyrics;

Elliott - 'Song in the Air'
Death Cab For Cutie - 'What Sarah Said'
Last Days of April - 'Aspirins and Alcohol'
Craig's Brother - 'Divorce'
The Beautiful Mistake - 'Fragile Fingers (The 23rd)'

Oh yeah, and The Juliana Theory - 'For Evangeline'.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:21 am

Sventevith wrote:Hehe, death of Optimus Prime? Well, maybe... ;)

Do not greive. Soon, I shall be one with the Matrix.
Last edited by Space Penis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

jakewashere
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jakewashere » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 pm

Speaking of depressing songs, the kind of songs I like are both melancholy and light (as opposed to bombastically dark). Something with a good melody, but sad or wistful lyrics. Much of Matthew Sweet's work falls into this category.

If I can recommend one, Mike Doughty's "Looking At The World" is a good example... it reminds me, for some reason, of NGE.

"through all the days that I have run
I've sought to lose that cloud that's blacking out the sun
my train will come on some day soon
and when it comes I'll ride it out from night to noon

and I feel as if I'm looking at the world from the bottom of a well
and I feel as if I'm looking at the world from the bottom of a well

aimless days, uncool ways of decathecting
painless face, blacked-out thoughts you've been rejecting

lonely
and the only way to beat it is to bat it down
feeling lonely
and the only way to beat it is to bat it down"

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:37 pm

a song that always made me cry...i cant remember the words...but the man wrote it for his baby daughter...she fell out of a window and died when she was one...it was like

"Would you know my name...if i saw you heaven..."

just that alone makes me tear up...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:06 pm

I was going through my DVDs looking for something and totally forgot about Voices of a distant star. It's a 30 minute long sci-fi OVA about a boy/girl relationship, girl gets chosen to pilot a mecha and chases the enemy out of the solar system. The entire time, they exchange text messages back and forth, but the farther out she is, the longer it takes for the messages to reach. It's short, but the story is beautifully written and the animation crisp and detailed. It's not as heavy as AIR or some of the others mentioned, but it's still kind of sad.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:18 pm

i saw that...i thought it was the guy that went off to war...

it was made by a Kid by HIMSELF on his own computer you know...thats why it had a big deal made out of it...

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:06 pm

Like Mundane said, Elfen Lied would be one, but it seems you've seen it. I'm currently watching Gunslinger Girl, I'm on the first episode. Anywho, its pretty sad, but nothing tragic.

BUT HOLEY SHIT TEH ACTION OF TEH P901!111

Ornette wrote:I was going through my DVDs looking for something and totally forgot about Voices of a distant star. It's a 30 minute long sci-fi OVA about a boy/girl relationship, girl gets chosen to pilot a mecha and chases the enemy out of the solar system. The entire time, they exchange text messages back and forth, but the farther out she is, the longer it takes for the messages to reach. It's short, but the story is beautifully written and the animation crisp and detailed. It's not as heavy as AIR or some of the others mentioned, but it's still kind of sad.

It's pretty good that it was made by one guy (I'm not sure, that's what I heard), but I didn't think it was that sad. The guy most likely got the idea from Enders Game, or Gunbuster.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:48 pm

master0rolando wrote:a song that always made me cry...i cant remember the words...but the man wrote it for his baby daughter...she fell out of a window and died when she was one...it was like

Great, just great. Now I'm depressed. Thanks master0rolando, thanks a lot. :(

(where's the vicodin)
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:09 pm

master0rolando wrote:a song that always made me cry...i cant remember the words...but the man wrote it for his baby daughter...she fell out of a window and died when she was one...it was like

Eric Clapton’s ‘Tears in Heaven’? Except it was his son and he was 4.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Return to “Anime and Manga”