Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3x3 thread

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:40 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Is this supposed to be a guessing game? I feel like some of the images chosen are deliberately cryptic
Like your choices for Lain and Evangelion?

The character ones (including the giant robots as characters) are generally easy, even for shows one's not seen -- of those, the ones most likely to rate as tricky would be the "Which Gundam are you talking about here, or is it the whole franchise?" That's not to say that there aren't any where I go "I don't know these people."

The other ones are actually more interesting when they show what each person thinks is iconic of a series, like the pink room which I cannot identify in TDK's.

The only one of mine that has yet to be mentioned is the NGE replacement with Mushishi (a vignette from a scene in the first episode showing a mushi in action, rather than yet another picture of Ginko looking mysterious).

@Director Black : 5/5
@A.T. Fish : 4/4
@bobbyfischer's ghost : 1/2
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:59 pm

All manga (they all have anime adaptations or are adapted from anime - though 1, 5 and 8 are each from part of the manga that has not been animated):

Key...  SPOILER: Show
We were There
Honey and Clover
The Voices of a Distant Star

Rurouni Kenshin
Noragami
Evangelion

Pupa
Akira
Nausicaa

Honourable mentions (not in image):
FLCL
Azumanga Daioh
Fullmetal Alchemist
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Well pwhodges isn't blocked on my work computer, what filth are you all tossing in the rest of yours that it'd get blocked? As for yours 3/6. Again some great titles and I've been wanting to read some of yours for a long time. Hardest thing to decide now once I finish Rough is what manga to read next you've all given me so many good titles! Also, um, with all the 0/0 on my chart I'm pretty surprised, I'll put a cheat sheet since I only think two of them are obscure really and a lot have their name on the picture ...

SPOILER: Show
Ten - Nobuyuki Fukumoto
Battle Angel Alita - Yukito Kishiro
Devilman - Go Nagai

Kinnikuman Nisei - Yudetamago
Crayon Shin Chan Movie 09: Yoshio Sawai
MW - Osamu Tezuka

Video Girl Ai - Masakuza Katsura
Zeta Gundam - Yoshiyuki Tomino
Slam Dunk - Takehiko Inoue

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:17 pm

I host my material on my own server, which is not on any blocklists.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:Also, um, with all the 0/0 on my chart I'm pretty surprised
I recognised the majority of those manga (and most of the rest had titles), but I just haven't read any of them. I did see the Z Gundam anime, but manga!Kamille looks rather different to anime!Kamille, and there was no obvious Char (or Char-alike), so I wasn't sure of my identification.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Like your choices for Lain and Evangelion?

That's what I meant when I said I'd play along. I just thought a thread like this would benefit from more information instead of less, or we may end up with a lot of posts like "what is x series in your chart?". I'm editing my post to include the names of the shows, in spoiler tags in case someone wants to play the guessing game.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The other ones are actually more interesting when they show what each person thinks is iconic of a series

I tried to go for this with some of my picks.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:25 pm

I think Lain has just about won this thread.

Tried to include my favorite/most memorable single shots or moments from each series.

Edit; Key

SPOILER: Show
Top: Lain -- Millennium Actress -- Kiki
Middle: Gunbustah -- Ping Pong :heart: :heart: -- Voices of a Distant Star
Bottom: Madoka -- Angel Beatz -- Cowboy Bebop
Last edited by Joy Evangelion on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:50 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The character ones (including the giant robots as characters) are generally easy, even for shows one's not seen -- of those, the ones most likely to rate as tricky would be the "Which Gundam are you talking about here, or is it the whole franchise?" That's not to say that there aren't any where I go "I don't know these people."

Each Gundam has a different cover.
The other ones are actually more interesting when they show what each person thinks is iconic of a series, like the pink room which I cannot identify in TDK's.
It's Yuri Kuma.
The only one of mine that has yet to be mentioned is the NGE replacement with Mushishi (a vignette from a scene in the first episode showing a mushi in action, rather than yet another picture of Ginko looking mysterious).

I did ;_;

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:09 pm

So much harder to select just nine anime from those I know, simply because of the number, and the fact that I don't tend to rate things comparatively. Anyway, here's my anime offering to complement my manga one, but on another day perhaps not even one selection would have been the same! I deliberately avoided those whose manga I'd already used.

Key....  SPOILER: Show
Texhnolyze
Elfen Lied
Monster

Clannad
Mindgame (film)
Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family)

EscaFlowne
Infinite Ryvius
Now and then, here and there

Too many honourable mentions to mention, as it were...

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Mah rankings;
Pwhodges; 2/2 Loved the Eccentric Family. Clannad was a bit too hyped for me by the time I watched it, but I had a good time with it.
Joy: 9/9 Great picks, man!
Pwhodges manga; 2/2, too. Eva(duhhhhhhh) and Hoshi no Koe. Loved the bit about the hair clip in that one. Liked both animes better though(but the mangas are still sweet too).
Bobbyfishcer: 1/1 Ping Pong, my favorite series since the 90s one about the purple robot.
AT Fish: 5/5, my brother. Watched Hanasaku Iroha a couple weeks ago and really liked it(love that PA Works style!) so it was nice to see it on one of these lists, Lain, Kyousougiga, Gunbustah, NGE
Director: 5/6 NGE, Bebop(nice episode reference), Lain, Tatami. FLCL and NHK get a .5 for each as I never really was crazy about either. NHK's beach episode arc and the pyramid scheme arc were a pretty fun watch though(positivity!).
Rose: 3/3 NGE, Lain, and Haibane Renmei, which I'm long overdue for a rewatch of.
Muscle Robo: 0/0 Sorry, I'm not much of a man ga man.
Donut: 4/4, though I feel like I've seen the one on your upper left corner, though I can't place it. Bebop, Clannad, TTGL, and Samurai Champloo.
Hui: I get the feeling you hate mech shows ;) 4.5/5 Eureka Seven, NGE, Akira(Tetsuooooooo), FLCL and Rahxephon.
Tines: One with NGE: 3/3 One with Mushishi: 3/3 Princess Tutu and Yuki Yuna, which definitely has one of my favorite concepts in any anime.
and
Javik: 3.5/4: Lain, NGE, FLCL, Tatami.

What I've learned about myself from this thread; I need to watch more annimay.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 am

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:For some reason my work computer is blocking all the images besides tehdonutking's so let me say for yours I've seen '97 Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, read Clannad, and read Azumanga. What is that kitchen show it looks familiar for some reason; is it Nia_7? You have quite a few shows I've been wanting to watch for a while though. Thanks for making me feel worse it's taken so long to get to them!

You're welcome. I haven't seen all of '97 Berserk; that image just fits better than a manga panel lol. The kitchen is from Mawaru Penguindrum.`

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: like the pink room which I cannot identify in TDK's.

Yurikuma Arashi

@Joy, it's Berserk
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:44 am

I have no idea what the vast majority of stuff people have listed is, but here's my quick offering (leaving out the obvious NGE).

Or you could just look at my MAL profile... seems a lot more useful, really.

Oh, right, the key:  SPOILER: Show
Cowboy Bebop, Kill la Kill, Samurai X Trust/Betrayal
Ghost in the Shell SAC, Monster, Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent, Madoka, Jin Roh
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:22 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:AT Fish: 5/5, my brother. Watched Hanasaku Iroha a couple weeks ago and really liked it(love that PA Works style!) so it was nice to see it on one of these lists, Lain, Kyousougiga, Gunbustah, NGE

Coincidentally, that's also my score on your chart, and also my best score out of all charts so far. Other than Lain and Gunbuster, which we both picked, shows from your chart that I've watched and liked are Ping Pong, Madoka and Voices of a Distant Star.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:13 am

View Original PostJavik wrote:Each Gundam has a different cover.
It's Yuri Kuma.

I did ;_;

My apologies for missing the Mushishi mention. And in retrospect, Yuri Kuma is obvious -- it had Utena-esqe echoes, but then Utena was right next door, and it certainly wasn't Penguindrum, so...

As for the Gundams -- I don't have the covers in wetware, so was going by the parts (like the uniforms), rather than the whole.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I have no idea what the vast majority of stuff people have listed is,
Or you could just look at my MAL profile... seems a lot more useful, really.

Not everyone links a MAL or equivalent (my 3x3 is a matter of guessing which ones to drop from the 9+ ratings); and besides, this is prettier than a plain top-ten list -- even if you can't immediately identify the two instances of Dennou Coil or of Ping Pong as the same title.

@Joy Evangelion : 5/6
@pwhodges : 1/2
@NemZ : 2/3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:@pwhodges : 1/2

Let me guess - Clannad and Elfen Lied?

Update:
AT Fish: 6/6
bobbiefischer's ghost: 2/4
Joy Evangelion: 6/7
NemZ: 6/6
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:03 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Let me guess - Clannad and Elfen Lied?
Texhnolyze rather than Clannad. I quite liked Elfen Lied, surprisingly so on the rewatch last year. I didn't rate Uchouten Kazoku which for one reason or another has ended up in the limbo of my backlog, rather than having entered a terminal state.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:06 pm

assuming like = anything I didn't actually dislike...

Javik: 4/4
Tines: 1/2
hui: 4/6
donut: 5/5
musclerobo: 2/3
rose: 5/6
director black: 6/6 - oh, and we grabbed the same pic from CB!
at fish: 4/6
bobyfisher's ghost: 1/1
joy: 7/7
paul (anime): 3/3
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm

@NemZ: Recognized Cowboy Bebop (Funny how we both shared the same image), Paranoia Agent third row bottom left, KIll La Kill first row middle, Monster in the middle and Madoka Magica in the third row middle.

@pwhodges: I think I might be the only one to recognize Now and Then, Here and There. Want to finish it once I finish Utena and Monster.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:48 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Tines: 1/2
And after all these years when Reichu was convinced we were the same person! Which was the one you didn't like?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:44 am

Simoun was good (and I watched it based on your recommendation) but Elfen Lied was rather meh.

Return to “Anime and Manga”