Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I don't think I'd call it my favorite, but Daily Lives of High School Boys was hilarious.

aka NichiBros; I found it became old very fast; managed four episodes before I gave up, I think.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 am

FLCL and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.
[Redacted]

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Nippon enough? BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:53 am

View Original PostBryant wrote:Because i'm incredibly lazy and this was the first Eva forum I found

You were using an English search engine? Or is this site a listed Japan hotspot?

Arakawa Under the Bridge is funny, but I'd say it ultimately tries too hard.

I remember laughing a lot at Naruto. and not just because of the jokes.

Though in all honesty, its comedy made sitting through its half a dozen or so filler arcs a breeze compared to sitting through the totality of Gundam Wing.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Nippon enough? BP

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Arakawa Under the Bridge is funny, but I'd say it ultimately tries too hard.

I'm watching Arakawa Under the Bridge right now. I felt that it was trying too hard at first, and nearly dropped it after a handful of episodes; but now I'm nearing the end of the first season, I'm feeling it's improving and it's growing on me as a result.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bryant
Adam

Re: Nippon enough? BP

•      
  •      

Postby Bryant » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:You were using an English search engine? Or is this site a listed Japan hotspot?.

I looked for a Eva forum and Google linked me to this site and I decided to stay here. This also helps out my English if I ever wanted to visit anywhere that spoke English.
Bryant Keitel

Been a fan of Evangelion for 19 years! I hope to continue be a fan till the day I die!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I always found Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, Excel Saga, and Ouran High School Host Club (yes that, don't mock me) to be pretty funny.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm in the middle of Excel Saga ATM. It's pretty stupid, I think-- I'm mostly watching it because it's an old Gainax work and it isn't totally shitty (yet.)

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:58 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm in the middle of Excel Saga ATM. It's pretty stupid, I think-- I'm mostly watching it because it's an old Gainax work and it isn't totally shitty (yet.)

Excel Saga is a JC Staff production. Gainax never worked on it.
Voluntary Illusion.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:22 pm

kirino mosiac and azumanga diaoh, azumanga for general laughs and awkward moments and kirino because 4th wall humor and basically canon yuri
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Excel Saga is fekkin' brilliant. It goes beyond breaking the fourth wall and simply demolishes it, whilst also damaging the sofa the viewer is sitting on. I really need to finish it- it is, to put it simply, the most utterly batshit insane anime in the universe.

Squid Girl is pretty good; it never takes itself seriously and all the characters are fun to watch, fresh and original- there are almost no cliched character archetypes that normally appear in comedy anime. It's extremely tasteful and almost devoid of fanservice despite being a beach series (seriously, the entire series is set in a coastal town) and the VAing is consistently good (at least, in Japanese anyway). It's also possibly the only good thing Diomedea has ever made.

Mad Bull 34 dubbed is the funniest thing ever. I've only seen clips and by god I need to watch the whole thing.

There's a series whose name evades me that I've seen either 1 or 2 episodes of; it sets itself up as a generic highschool harem comedy and then subverts the living shit out of the genre. The main character is a generic highschool boy who finds himself at a largely female highschool, and for no good reason is press-ganged into the school student council. Unlike most male leads, this guy is an upstanding student with a spine, and refuses to be pushed around or played for a fool- if your average tsundere love interest went full "kyaaa you saw my pantsu baka ecchi hentai" on him he'd most likely respond "wear a longer skirt then you numbskull". Unfortunately, the 3 members of the student council are anything but your average haremshit love interests. One of them is a sociopathic loli, another is a kind but openly nymphomaniac girl, and the head of the council is borderline insane. If only I could remember the name...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:33 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:a generic highschool boy who finds himself at a largely female highschool, and for no good reason is press-ganged into the school student council
Setokai Yakuindomo? Seitokai no Ichizon?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:55 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

Totally forgot about that.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Excel Saga is a JC Staff production. Gainax never worked on it.

Well, there goes half my motivation to watch it-- but it still isn't totally terrible, so I guess it stays on the currently watching list. For now.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:43 pm

FLCL (obviously I'm not the first to mention it) and Cromartie High School because
SPOILER: Show
If Freddie Mercury is a student at your school and rides a horse in every morning, life is good. Or you just might be a little insane.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Setokai Yakuindomo? Seitokai no Ichizon?

Those names ring a bell.

I think it's the origin of My Jambo Jet Fries Cheerfully.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:My Jambo Jet Fries Cheerfully.

That’ll be Seitokai Yakuindomo then.
I wouldn’t say SYD “subverts the sh*t out of the (harem) genre” exactly, it’s just a straight-forward gag comedy which just so happens to have a large cast of females… who have no qualms discussing genitals and their functions.
This exchange more or less sums up the show’s humour:
SPOILER: Show
Juvenile, but satisfying. One of my favourites.

If you prefer your comedy to come from character interaction rather than gags, then Working!! / Wagnaria!! should scratch that itch quite nicely. A very down-to-earth show made memorable by its quirky cast of characters. Pretty much any scene involving Popura makes me laugh.

I would recommend the second season over the first however.

Here are a handful of short, 5-minute (or so) episode shows that might be good for a quick chuckle:

Teekyu – High-school girl slice of life on speed (the drug). I remember a certain someone once describing this as “cute girls doing un-cute things”. If nothing else- this is a good exercise in speed-reading.

Plastic nee-san / +tic nee-san – I suppose this might fall under the category of screwball comedy, as this is nuttier than a bag of Squirrels.
I’m certain it was created as an excuse to flood the internet with silly GIFs…
A silly GIF   SPOILER: Show

Tonari no Seki-Kun – A simple premise with a repetitive formula, but executed very well: Boy wastes time; girl is distracted by boy’s activity; boy introduces a bizarre twist to the activity; girl overreacts to/sabotages boy’s activity.
In the second episode, a simple game of Shogi becomes very interesting. Worth watching for the ED alone.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Anime and Manga”