What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat May 23, 2015 6:18 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well I finished Night on the Galactic Railroad. I enjoyed the style, and the extended farewell aspect of the journey; but in the end the religious content spoiled it for me. The film as a whole came over as proselytising, which I don't want; and as Mr. Tines hinted, the religious viewpoint is unsound, at least as seen from within from the catholic and orthodox tradition which I was brought up in. So I would not recommend it unless you're prepared to make a very clear demarcation in your mind of the style and the content.

Miyazawa was devout Pure Land Buddhist. He obviously had some interest in Christianity and western thought and culture in general but Galactic Railroad isn't failed attempt at presenting Christian orthodoxy anymore than Eva is with its abuse of Christian symbology. It is definetly weird, metaphysically loaded and spiritually engaged piece of work - a really rare example of bona fide serious art tackled within infantile medium - but its fairly extreme take on themes of self-sacrifice and (im)mortality owe more to Buddhism of "you poor hungry tiger eat me" variety than Christian agape. The metaphorical story about burning scorpion is really the key for unlocking both that classic work of "children's" literature as well as Mawaru Penguindrum which is very derivative of Miyazawa's seminal work.

In fact rewatching Penguindrum after reading the book (and having rewatched the anime film adaptation) was one long march of "oh snap" realizations. Thematically they differ very little - the afterlife aspect in Penguindrum is considerably toned down but that's about it, really.

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:...Words fail me. That was simply perfect.

VERDICT: Yes, I definitely remember love.

Of course you do. Macross is the best the best the best.

best animu fuck youre insufficiently shaded moeshit

As I haven't watched Macross I haven't really seen any new worthwhile anime in a while... Oh I rewatched Mouryou no Hako in order to show it to couple of friends. It held up remarkably well and is still great and fairly unique title which I recommend. Storytelling around the mid-point is pretty awkwardly transitioned from book to screen though so I won't give it two thumbs up glowing GOAT reception I gave it first time around all those years ago. Nevertheless great work is a great work.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks for the useful comments on Night on the Galactic Railroad. I'm just reading the book right now, as it happens, and it's helping me understand it better. I also plan to watch Giovanni's Island shortly, because I understand that is also heavily influenced by it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Just finished Dai Mahou Touge. That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. The only flaw is that there isn't enough of it. 8 15-minute episodes and 4 omake just isn't enough, I want a second season.

Lyrical Tokarev, Watch It All! /10
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:57 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:UBW

2chuuni4me

Pretty much the main thing that stood out for me. We finally had a half-decent episode (yay Lancer) and the *BAM* we have 'People die if they are killed' 2.0. Although, just like the aforementioned 'people die if they are killed', I think it's more a result of the fan translation and should mean something more like 'Just because you're correct doesn't mean your actions are justified' or something like that.

Although I do find it a bit funny (in both senses of the word) that Saber doesn't seem to have any reaction to Shirou using the healing factor from Avalon (complete with Archer outright talking about it while this is going on) and seems to just think healing severe puncture wounds with glowy magic effects is a natural thing for Shirou. I know she's not supposed to get it back in this route (which in itself makes very little sense) but a little 'Hey, it's my scabbard' would have been nice.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun May 24, 2015 6:08 am

That line is more like "you're technically correct, but that doesn't mean anything in this context", I think. I don't see what the big deal is.

Anyway, that EMIYA + UBW reveal was brilliant. So was The Answer, and in all three the OST nails the dramatic timing. The new nods to connectivity with f/z don't feel heavy-handed either. I'm very excited for next saturday.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:28 am

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:That line is more like "you're technically correct, but that doesn't mean anything in this context", I think. I don't see what the big deal is.

It's not really a big deal, just a bad translation that's vaguely funny.

And I'm nothing like you

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun May 24, 2015 7:37 am

It's not the best translation but funnily enough, it sums up why I can't into UBW.

Waiting for HF instead, I guess.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun May 24, 2015 7:53 am

HF should be pretty great. Curious how many films it gets, though.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:06 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:It's not the best translation but funnily enough, it sums up why I can't into UBW.

Ikr.

The number HF movies really depends on whether they split it in half, or do it in separate acts like Kara no Kyoukai (although there aren't defined chapter endings this time). I'm really hoping they don't do what the UBW film did and try to cover everything in one film, though, since there definitely isn't any way to cover it all in one movie.

And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun May 24, 2015 2:10 pm

@Xard: Yeah, DYRL might be my new favourite filum.

Now that I've recovered from the awesomeness a little and have stopped humming DYRL (the song that is) in the shower I think I should give a proper review of it.

So let's start with the technical side of things. The animation is orgasmic. Not a single animation goof (a welcome change from the rather spotty animation quality of the series), superb movement and flow, beautiful backgrounds, excellent mechanical animation and of course SHADING SHADING EVERYWHERE. I am by no means a "hurr, everything was so much better back in my day, durr" person but I do miss the heavily shaded animation style of the 80s, which IMO DYRL is the absolute pinnacle of. Mikimoto's designs are wonderful as always (it helps that Minmay keeps her eyes this time) and oh, the mecha design. Somehow they managed to make the valkyries look even sexier.

Speaking of designs, the Zentradi are far, far more intimidating than in the series. The biotech theme of their ships is taken up to 11, with tendril-like cables, clusters of metallic coral and fleshy detail all over the inside of their ships. Likewise, Bodoolza has been turned from a big grey guy into a horrific organic computer, and Exsedol has traded his silly hair for a kinda gross pulsing brain.

Now, the score. Oh my goodness the score is gorgeous. A lot of music is reused from the series (which is fine by me as the series had a superb soundtrack) but the original songs somehow manage to make the series soundtrack seem fairly average. The crown jewel in the score is of course DYRL itself, but Tenshi no Enogu and the song without [s]lyrics[/s] lee-rics are some other favourites of mine. Overall I'd say that it eclipses even Akira as having the best score of any anime movie ever.

One detail I liked was having the Zentradi speak their own language as opposed to just speaking Japanese. It added a great deal of immersion to the film, although there were some moments where the actors were struggling a little to deliver their lines.

Now, how does the movie fare as a compilation of the Macross series? Surprisingly well in my opinion- it probably helps a lot that it's an AU retelling of the story rather than a true compilation movie. There are a lot of changes (most notably the removal of the Supervision Army and their replacement with the Meltrandi, and how instead of just living separately the Zentradi and Meltrandi are actually at war with each other) but nothing that negatively impacted the film. Indeed, one of the best bits of the film- where Misa Hayase and Hikaru Ichijo are stranded on the ruins of the Earth, discover the alien city and begin to fall in love with each other- is completely original to DYRL (at least, as far as I can remember).

I only have 2 complaints with the movie, and they are very, very minor. The first is that the love triangle wasn't quite as superbly handled as in the series, but to be fair that's to be expected given the vastly decreased amount of time the movie had to develop the characters compared to the series. The second is that Minmay seemed a little more shallow and less well developed than in the series, although once again this can be attributed to the decrease in development time- as loathesome as Kaifun is, his relationship with her in the series did contribute masses to her growth as a character. These are both very, very minor quibbles, but they are worth mentioning.

Overall I'd say that the series had a slightly stronger story than DYRL, simply by virtue of being a 36 episode series. It's definitely not an alternative to the series- but then it wasn't meant to be. That said, DYRL is an absolutely phenomenal film that did a fantastic job of adapting the series, and is absolutely required watching for any anime fan. It's also quite possibly my new favourite movie ever.

...Which makes it all the more tragic that it will most likely never get a proper western release.

Well, that wraps it up for the original Macross saga. Next stop: Zeta Gundam! Or Bubblegum Crisis. Or Sailor Moon R. Or Macross Plus. :hahaha:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 24, 2015 2:19 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Sailor Moon R

It's good stuff--lots of nice mirrors to season 1 and the start of its own season, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 27, 2015 2:43 am

Currently catching up with The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. I thought it might perk up once Haruhi appeared, but it didn't, not much. This really is "Haruhi Suzumiya Lite", with everything that made the original worthwhile leached out in favour of alternation between moe and chibi. However cute Kyon's design may be (I like it, but it's not really right for the character as I remember him), he has none of the spark he had before - not least because he has nothing to work with. I'll probably come up to date, just to see if Haruhi warms up a bit, but it's really disappointing so far.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:@Xard: Yeah, DYRL might be my new favourite filum.

I just want to say Macross DYRL makes the Sistine Chapel look like the finger paintings of a not particularly creative child it's so great. As for the song itself I'm sorry to be a monster but I might prefer Ranka's up tempo version of it at the end of Frontier~ Macross Plus and Zeta Gundam are so amazing, both my favorite of their respective meta series! Also, it's not entirely clear but in Macross Frontier it seems to be hinted at that DYRL was a movie in universe as well. So it's the equivalent of us going to see some movie about World War II, the characters look different because they're being played by actors, talk about meta!

As for what I'm watching, I've started watching both Area 88 series and Yukikaze. I just finished the Area 88 OVA from the 80's and wow it was so good. Yes of course I wish it covered everything from the manga but as far as an stand alone project goes it's really, really great. The animation is top notch, the attention to realism in the planes is great and it just feels like you're actually in the cockpit, in the desert, and so on it makes the animation, music, story, and voice acting all so great. To be honest the tv show is pretty lame so far, cheaper animation and just kind of boring, with a weird abrasive techno soundtrack that would make Initial D roll its eyes. I've only read a little of the manga though so I don't know which is closer. The reason I'm watching all these aviation anime though is because I'm meeting up with my favorite doujinshi artist in Japan in a few months and he's a total aviation otaku so I want to be able to chat with him about something after I just gush like a fan over him.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

More wrongs, as expected. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri May 29, 2015 4:30 am

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (Oregairu) Zoku ep. 9

IT'S A TRAP! ... Oh, no wait, that would be Totsuka in a dress. :tongue:

~Anyway~

The light novel translation switches "help" with "save" in the conversation that follows. "So I can do the saving". I think the former better captures the severity of her motive, both in what she wants to achieve, and what she wants Hachiman to do for her. Not to say I even know what she wants of him just quite yet.

I only know, that Onee-chan doesn't approve.

Other Episode notes:

SPOILER: Show
Regardless, this is as good of an explanation as any for why she wanted the Student Council job. *Something* to distinguish herself both from her sister, and (surprise) from Hachiman. Distinguishing herself from the former may be why she founded the club to begin with.

To its detriment, the episode cut out self-depreciating exchanges Yukinoshita had with Hachiman following the Christmas event meeting, highlighting the inferiority-complex issues she's struggling with, and how she's come to put Hachiman on something of a pedestal. Not unlike how she's done with someone else close to her...

Tobe's heroic task of trying to keep Hayato's clique running smoothly is a bit glossed over here. Among other things, he wanted Hayato to ride with him because the roller coaster was a 2-seater, meaning the latter would of had to choose between Ishikki and Yumiko as to who to sit with if Tobe had not intervened.

The two girls getting along afterward was surprising in light of not only each them pining after Hayato, but that they had a big, public fight with each other during an exhibition match of the Judo club (over Hayato).

This gave a moment for Yumiko's equally glossed-over motherly instincts to shine. These are the only moments that Hachiman considers her to be "cute".

Next episode will likely wrap up Volume 9, and after that the series will start on Volume 10.

I'm interested to see how they will work in the anonymous Memorandums:

Possibly, it’s no one’s monologue  SPOILER: Show
Mine has been a life of much shame.

My eyes abruptly focused on that sentence.

I was in the middle of a lot of cleaning with the upcoming New Year. As I organized my book collection, I found myself reaching out to a book.

The reason why I ended up picking out this book amongst the many was because I felt some kind of link with the three worded title.

No Longer Human.

I think it was about the time I got into middle school that I read this book.

When I made it halfway through the second memorandum, I closed the book in a hurry and never managed to read much of it beyond that. Back then, the difficulty was a little out of my league and as a middle school student, it was fairly tedious as well. I had plenty of other fun things to read too, so it wasn’t like I was starving for entertainment that I needed to go through the trouble of reading a fastidious and offensive book like this.

That’s exactly why I closed the book.

In that book, it felt as if I was getting dragged to the surface, as if my true nature that I was still continuing to hide to this day was getting exposed.

I felt it was possible that even the reason why I attempted to read this book when I was in middle school was written in that book as well.

Despite that, the reason I was reading this book this late now was because I thought it was just something to be thrown out. I took it with my hands in astonishment.

But thinking about it even more, there was no way I could throw out this book.

They say that bookshelves are a reflection of a person’s personality.

In that case, I’m sure this book was a reflection of my true nature. That’s why, the only thing I could do in the end was just put it away without tossing it and pretend as if I had never seen it.

Yet here I am, reaching out to it again.

Could it have been a divine oracle, or possibly fate?

I wasn’t one to take those words seriously, but it wasn’t very pleasant knowing how it seemed like I was reinforcing the notion instead by being up in arms and denying it.

I wiped off the collected dust on the book and dropped onto the couch.

Let’s continue the book; continue on from where I couldn’t back then.

Because it’s likely that I needed to see what will happen from there on.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 29, 2015 8:35 am

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. I'm dropping this as of now. Viewed as an entry into the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, it is missing everything that made that distinctive and interesting. Viewed as a generic moe-blob harem SoL series it's OK but mediocre; I find Nisekoi considerably more engaging.

It's quite good-looking and well animated, though. You will become aware after a while that the animators have decided that their strong point is pointing fingers. They deploy them whenever reasonable, and occasionally completely unnecessarily. They're pretty good pointing fingers, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

Postby robersora » Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You will become aware after a while that the animators have decided that their strong point is pointing fingers. They deploy them whenever reasonable, and occasionally completely unnecessarily. They're pretty good pointing fingers, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

That's the most hilarious positive critical assessment for anything I've read in a while. :lol:
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

JoJo's episode 45:
Stupid sexy Dio, felt like he was seducing me the whole episode
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat May 30, 2015 7:18 am

I simultaneously feel they spent too much time on the senator and that they should have included him running people over.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Your Lie in April. I'm 2/3 through this, and while the focus is on romantic aspects I am feeling more composed. But I might not be able to give a dispassionate assessment of the series because so many things strike home personally.
No, I am not Kousei, and my story is not the same as his. And yet the first half of the series pressed buttons that I've not had pressed since I was having psychotherapy twenty-five years ago. In my early teens I won a regional piano competition one year, and then fell apart never to compete again. I didn't regain my performing ability (only vicariously through my son), but hey, I married a violinist; and our relationship started with a lie (as I found out twenty-five years later). I still have never resolved what happened in my teens...

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Zeta Gundam 1-3:

The LOLTOMINO is already flowing freely, but to be honest it actually works pretty well. The first episode was kinda ludicrous but 2 and 3 are much, much better.

Poor Kamille's mum though... :sniffle:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Old Stickies”