DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Put it on a sticky note and place it on the tv :wink:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Shinichiro Wantanabe's new work, Space Dandy

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:01 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That has a very period feel, but the A fancies B fancies C fancies D fancies E ... romance plot grew too large a graph for me to keep caring. YMMV.

Funny, I don't remember the romance plot of Kids on the Slope being remotely that complicated. And in the end, romance wasn't really even the main focus of the anime.

*ahem* Anyway...

On the topic of Space Dandy, I'm sure it'll at least be good since it's the work of Shinichiro Wantanabe, but the zaniness of it is kinda off-putting for me. Not that I have anything against zaniness in and of itself... done right, zaniness can be amazing (FLCL). But here it just looks kinda, well, dumb. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong though.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 am

Dub for this seemed good, obviously no Japanese version yet to compare it to. Not sure what to think other than it seemed like a fun first episode. I'm not big on T&A fanservice, but it wasn't as bad as other shows. lol fapping QT.

My random thoughts:

Episode 1  SPOILER: Show
Lady Liberty in bondage gear? Er. I wonder if this show will take a serious turn at all (whether or not to the point of Bebop) or stay completely goofy.
The villains are looking for a pie element? What, did Dandy steal the main Big Bad's last piece of pie so many years ago? :lol:
An auto-tuned robot? Cute.
A space kitty? I'm okay with this.
Dandy's "Just go with the flow" philosophy seems similar to Spike's "Whatever happens, happens.", huh?
No Yoko Kanno for the music? :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 am

While the fist half started off slow it did pick up the pace fairly quickly.
I laughed a few times at stupid Dandy.
Overall it was a solid first ep. Let see if the rest of the series can stay just as good
if not better.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 am

First episode was a bit underwhelming, but I'll give it at least a few more weeks to see where it's going. The Excel Saga-esque ending (Watanabe borrowing from Watanabe?? WHAT IS HAPPENING) was encouraging, though.

Dub was okay. Dandy and the narrator aren't hammy enough, but I like the cat-guy and the autotuned robot.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 am

I've only seen some of the PVs, but if anyone is expecting anything more serious in tone than Dirty Pair, I can see them being very disappointed. The big question will be whether something in that vein can succeed in these cynical times.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:12 am

wisdom

Last 10 minutes made up for the dull first half. I think I'll watch the next episode in Japanese. Can't get into dubs anymore.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm

So the Japanese version's out already somewhere? Thought it wasn't.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:(Watanabe borrowing from Watanabe?? WHAT IS HAPPENING)

I'm okay with this.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:22 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:This is true. It's a veritable all-star lineup... although I'm not familiar with the actual director director. (do we know who any of the episode directors will be?)

Not sure how trustworthy this list is right now but:

yes SSD, Kanno will score at least one ep

Shingo Natsume's list of credits almost entirely consists of unit/episode/assistant director credits and given how Space Dandy's staff roll doesn't give any kind of assistant director credit at all you can be pretty much sure this will be his main role in the production, as Watanabe's hands-on guy who's there to keep production rolling, animator slaves whipped etc.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I'm not super familiar with its use in anime but in video games "executive director" often means "big name who provided general direction for the project and gave it their seal of approval". But even though they tend to get all the publicity, the games themselves usually bear the mark (for better or worse) of the real director, and it often translates to a noticeable dilution of the "executive" director's trademark style as a less auteurist director (so as not to come in conflict with the executive) leads the project.

Well, of course cases sorta like that exist in anime too. However more often than not those cases get some other credit. Shoji Kawamori is easiest example for me to think of. Escaflowne was created and largerly written by Kawamori but it wasn't directed by him. For Macross 7 he came up with the storyline, characters, mecha designs etc. but he didn't direct or write the script (for tv series, at least). He did however oversee production of both series under their actual directors and received "Supervisor" credit in both cases. Basquash, another Kawamori show not scripted or directed by him a la Macross 7, credits him as "Project Director" and original creator.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:At any rate, I hope Space Dandy will have at least a few key episodes directed by Watanabe personally.

No doubt about that and again, who knows how tight leash he keeps on episode directors. Typically director of the series checks all storyboards done and makes whatever changes he wants. It's also series director who makes big calls like number of cels given to each particular episode and who tends to set the "style" for anime in early production, leading episode directors trying to emulate/keep consistent with the directing style established by the director (this is why director usually storyboards first or first few episodes personally). These reasons are partly why input of episode director can vary so wildly from being pretty much grunt running the production of the episode to having great deal of creative autonomy. (Usually truth is somewhere in the middle). I think likes of Goro Taniguchi and Masaaki Yuasa have very free hands indeed but even then he'll make sure what they'll do will fit the series in whole. For example they won't be bringing any 80s synths :hahaha:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I've only seen some of the PVs, but if anyone is expecting anything more serious in tone than Dirty Pair, I can see them being very disappointed. The big question will be whether something in that vein can succeed in these cynical times.

Yeah, Thomas Romain has tweeted often those hoping for another Cowboy Bebop will be very disappointed and that it's going to be VERY zany and comedic.

As for feel of the era, Watanabe has decreed that no instruments not avalaible in golden disco 70s can be used in OST :hahaha:

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Just finished watching it, dubbed and subbed, though the dub narrator adds some clever puns that don't appear to be in the original I still liked it better subbed, mostly because the voices fit the characters better in my opinion, specially the villains (I did like the robot in the dub though).

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 pm

The series is over already? :hahaha:

View Original PostFireball wrote:

These are the Funi subs:
People have not forgotten this award winning work I trust?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm

not digging the autotuned voice for the toilet looking robot
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:First episode was a bit underwhelming, but I'll give it at least a few more weeks to see where it's going. The Excel Saga-esque ending (Watanabe borrowing from Watanabe?? WHAT IS HAPPENING) was encouraging, though.

Dub was okay. Dandy and the narrator aren't hammy enough, but I like the cat-guy and the autotuned robot.

Agreed on all counts. It doesn't even begin to live up to the hype, but the cat and robot were great. Also, great ED. The tune is standard fare, but the lyrics are top notch.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 am

This new episode was pretty funny.
Good fight scenes as well, much better than last weeks.

- Suicidahlia

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Definitely one of the more stylish anime to have come out in recent years (and topped with quite a few references, I might add). I was also surprised that the currency used was Woolong (if I heard correctly).
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 am

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:I was also surprised that the currency used was Woolong.

Yep! you did that hear correctly. Maybe a Dandy x Bebop crossover one day? :lol:
Hell, throw in Outlaw Star as well (Since that show uses Woolongs as well)

- Suicidahlia

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am

I liked the second episode much more. Loved the animation. I'll stick to subs, sounds much more natural.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 pm

This time, the show didn't end and waiting for some new aliens to be brought in and registered. The Boobies sequences are entertaining but could get old quickly.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote: Maybe a Dandy x Bebop crossover one day? :lol:

Now that would be interesting! It would probably involve Dandy becoming infatuated with Faye Valentine's... Assets.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

I wouldn't say episode 2 was bad, but I'd never say it was good, either. It was distinctly average. Which is to say, it was still better than episode 1. The jokes are repetitive and for the most part unfunny, the constant 4th wall breaking is quite simply irritating, and the drama at the end of the episode was just weak.
This show has style in droves, but very little of anything else so far. Classic case of style over substance. Which, honestly, is a much bigger shame than it would be for your average show simply because of the enormous production value. When I finished episode 2, the biggest question I was left with was:

"I wonder what more Trigger could have done with KlK if they had Dandy's budget?"
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Return to “Anime and Manga”