What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 pm

:(

That aside, I'm nearly done with Arakawa. I've loved it, Sister is my favorite character.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Finished 0083: Stardust Memory recently, I thought it was alright. Its pretty much what a Gundam show is; good animation, good sountrack, lots of action, lots of people screaming, and an overabundance of characters that get little to no development at all, and honestly I was fine with that. It was pretty much what I expected, however I do understand why others think this wasn't very good and I would have to agree that there really was so much lost potential with this OVA, also I didn't feel for any of the characters at all especially Gato, and then you have those silly plot moments like the feddies not taking the threat of a mobile suit with nuclear launching capabilities seriously :facepalm:. That being said I still found it entertaining to sit through, the action was pretty good and the mech designs were designed very well.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:51 am

I was rendering a scene, so figured I'd watch something in the meantime...

Chronicles of the going home club
ImageVery

…what a bad idea.
I'm not exactly a fan of the whole straight-man loudly points out the supposedly funny thing (tsukkomi?) approach to comedy, but it never made me want to inflict self-harm like this did. Clearly- this show would have benefitted from a two-minute episode format; on that note-

Teekyu 2 – appears it will be as awful as it was in its first outing. I expect to enjoy it greatly.

Servant x Service - Young adults doing young adult things... it's missing a healthy dose of Poplar, but I'll keep an eye on this one.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:25 am

Finished watching Wolf's Rain, I'll watch the OVAs tonight or tomorrow.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Code Geass episode 22

well, that escalated quickly

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:27 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Code Geass episode 22
Don't worry, it will never reach the level of awesomeness of Evangelion, I can tell it. R2 won't be any better. :tongue:

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:30 pm

ugh I've been putting off chode gayass forever, probably gonna watch that next
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:Don't worry, it will never reach the level of awesomeness of Evangelion, I can tell it. R2 won't be any better. :tongue:

You are comparing apples with cocaine.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:36 pm

^Still can't see why I'd subject myself to that.

Mirai Nikki: YUKIIIIIIII!

SPOILER: Show
This show was amazing. What really gets me about it is that Yuno's love for Yuki was, for lack of a better word, pure. I expected her yandere bullshit to devolve into selfish obsession over time, but it never quite reached that point -- even at the end she genuinely cared for the guy, and absolutely everything she did had the end goal of making him a deity. That selflessness (crazy, twisted, insane, absolutely mad selflessness, but selflessness nonetheless), combined with the plaintive tone of her voice whenever she spoke the guy's name, elevated this show above the absurdity of its premise in short order. And that ending! It's totally a cheat, but somehow they made it seem completely legit. I found myself strangely satisfied as a result.

My verdict: Utterly absurd, but they packaged it well enough that I was eager to buy what they were selling. Would watch again.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:^Still can't see why I'd subject myself to that.

You haven't seen Geass either?
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Hellsing Ultimate

Picked up the first four OVAs. Let it begin.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:41 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You haven't seen Geass either?

Nope.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

^You should give it a shot. First season is worth a look, though the second isn't worth anyone's time.
View Original PostBagheera wrote:Mirai Nikki: YUKIIIIIIII!

My verdict: Utterly absurd, but they packaged it well enough that I was eager to buy what they were selling. Would watch again.
Just started this myself. Your post gives me hope there's a chance I'm not wasting my time with it.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Nope.

Jesus, you, Fireball, IO, you just kind of assume everyone's seen it considering the age and popularity. Anyway, to answer your question of why you should subject yourself to it, it's for the same reason (it seems like) you subjected yourself to Mirai Nikki. It's a wild ride and it's a helluva lot of fun. I think if there was ever a roller coaster in anime form, it'd be Geass.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:12 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Hellsing Ultimate

Picked up the first four OVAs. Let it begin.

Wait you have actual physical copies of the OVAs?

mad jelly ova hyah :lol: but you're going to love it :D

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:14 am

I haven't touched Code Geass either. To be honest, I shied away because it was so popular.

Speaking of Mirai Nikki, I believe an OVA recently came out. Mirai Nikki Redial. Need to put that on the list.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 am

Getter Robo Armageddon

I loved this. Every single moment of it was great.

The who-done-it, the art, the OST, those Openings, that animation.

It looks and sounds like an 80s series, though, but don't be fooled: this was made in 1998 and you can tell they put effort to make a genuinely good series. Imagawa directed the first three episodes, and you can tell as they quickly grab your attention with a mix of action and characters. They also established teh who-done-it mood for a critical plot point.

This is, in a way, simplistic: it's the Getter teams punching the hell out of the Invaders, who are essentially several million of the Thing in amorphous gellatine and horrific protrusions and tons of eyes all over them.

The voice acting is superb: Ryoma sounds basically like an older, wiser but still rash and hotheaded/blooded Kamina (and more badass if you ask me), Hayato sounds like the suave, smart guy who is also a goddamn bruiser, and Benkei and Musashi sound like the best friends they're supposed to be, and as the family men they are. Saotome's voice is perfect, his villanous laughs and his rants are priceless. Stinger and Cowen's voices are...well, funny, but at the same time somewhat disturbing considering their nature.

The performances by the new Getter Team are equally amazing, and Go is the stoic without being an annoying stoic, Kei is a hot action gal, and Gai is the most normal of them without being annoying normal.

The show delivered completely: it had the horror element without going overboard with it, the action was excellent, even with all the obligatory CHANGE GETTER sequences (which themselves were actually very well woven into the action on screen), and yet it was still over the top as the good Super Robot series that it is.

Overall, great series. If there is a good Super Robot series, this is it.

Ryome is a handsome man.

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:You are comparing apples with cocaine.
I won't tell ya anything, watch R2.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 am

We have some dedicated Code Geass threads

thread/2171/Code-Geass/
thread/5441/Code-Geass-Lelouch-of-the-Rebellion/

The season it came out, I was watching Hataraki Man, Soukou no STRAIN, Marimite 3rd season, Fist of the Blue Sky, Busou Renkin, and Black Lagoon Second Barrage instead, and when CG started to make waves, it was usually in the context of the crass Pizza Hut sponsorship (as later disfigured Marimite S4), so I never felt inclined to pick it up. However, the show did enrich my Japanese vocabulary with the word "角オナニー" (kado-onanii) .
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 am

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Old Stickies”