Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:56 am

I haven't watched 0080 in 2 decades and I wonder whether the character of Chris Mackenzie's superior voice actress is Megumi Hayashibara or Wendee Lee? Personally, I have always been more of a Wendee fan while Megumi seems to always get type casted with stoic or tomboy characters.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:49 am

So a new multi-platform Gundam game was announced yesterday, SD Gundam Battle Alliance.
Gameplay looks like a ton of fun, and the show roster is something to behold.
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack Beltorchika’s Children
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
Mobile Suit V Gundam
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie -Awakening of the Trailblazer-
Reconguista in G
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

It's no secret that I generally enjoy AUs more than mainline UC content, so the inclusion of just about all of them makes me quite happy. The hardcore completionist in me wishes we got some stuff from Blue Destiny/Missing Link, HF, Age, Stargazer, EW, GS and the Build Series as well, but that's really just nitpicking at this point; the inclusion of X alone has me beyond happy. I'm definitely gonna go get this one as soon as it goes live.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:27 am

https://twitter.com/Char_Tweet/status/1 ... 4050270210
Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack Char's official setting material collection says that the ban on Mamoru Nagano's design sketches has been lifted for the first time. In addition, Mr. Omori's reference setting / interview, director Tomino's rough sketch, and Gainax battleship sketch will also be recorded. From Hidetoshi Omori YouTube Live.

holy shit, it will happen.

I hope the book gets every bit of CCA design too, they promised the book with the EVOLVE designs years ago and nothing.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Huh, interesting. I know Nagano has quite a reputation of being... difficult to work with to put it charitably, so I am more surprised by the fact that he now appears to be going back on a decision like that more so than learning that he made it in the first place
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:22 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Huh, interesting. I know Nagano has quite a reputation of being... difficult to work with to put it charitably, so I am more surprised by the fact that he now appears to be going back on a decision like that more so than learning that he made it in the first place

We kinda already did saw it, It was posted the rough designs but soon deleted it, but there is more that we never saw it

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gorovion/archives/9490611.html

Takuya Io even made an illustration using this design

https://twitter.com/io_takuya/status/14 ... 3095636993

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:02 am

New Gundam Series! (first in 7 years apparently)

The Witch From Mercury!
https://youtu.be/I6MHD1BSjTA

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:47 am

Yeah, Witch looks pretty cool.

although it's not really the first show in seven years; it's just the first TV release in seven years, the shows in between have been simulcast to streaming and have thus been classified differently :emogendo:

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:41 pm

Looks great. I hope that if they do give her a love interest that it's not because it's what expected of Sunrise by the casual viewers like me.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:47 pm

Watched:

Gundam 0083 OVA and movie (Bluray): This was my first time watching the OVA, and boy did they cut a lot to make the movie (also, the movie version I have on DVD is a different one than the one included in the Bluray). It does not really change my opinion of the series though: Great mecha design and animation, but the plot is so-so and some of the characters really annoying (well, Nina, mostly). The two "Mayfly of Space" shorts suck, especially the second one (panned stills and text, really, Sunrise?).

Turn A Gundam (Bluray): This series is certainly quite lighthearted but also pretty serious, and the first half was a bit hard to get through, especially with the scenes of wounded soldiers and civilians being tended to, which I watched just as the real life war in Ukraine started - I had to take pauses between episodes to get through that. The second half is better, much faster paced, with quite a few revelations. I had to get used to the way characters are drawn, as the art is quite simple (especially the eyes), almost early 1970s like. The rest of the art and animation is top-notch for the most part, ignoring some places where animation gets reused in quick succession. I found it amusing how the second opening's lyrics could almost be read as meta-commentary on the Gundam series various seasons as a whole (perhaps it was intentional, considering the series being the end of all other series and how there is some other lampshading strewn throughout the series). The second ending is kinda creepy, with Diana morphing into a
SPOILER: Show
butterfly
. The Bluray also includes a nice interview with Syd Mead.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:18 am

The 0083 movie is honestly one of the better compilation movies I think the franchise ever did, at least when it comes to the "compilation" part. Like its hard to think of it being pared down to 2ish hours or whatever much better...

The problem though is that 0083 is also fundamentally just not that great a story.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:36 am

Turn A has to be one of my all time favorite Gundam works, glad you enjoyed it as well!

I finished up a bunch of random nonsense the other day that I hadn't gotten to watching yet
Detailed-ish opinions  SPOILER: Show
Build Fighters Try: Bad show, but not offensively bad. Characters are bland and there are about ten seconds of it that have trademark Build Fighters Magic, but I've certainly seen worse as far as Gundam works go. The lack of actual building and the fact that three quarters of Kamiki's traits being "my master told me" and then having said master on screen for all of three scenes are kind of a travesty though. Also utterly fails as a toy ad, shopping list entries per runtime I don't think I've ever gotten much lower; although that aquatic team gag was one of the genuinely funniest things Gundam has ever done. 4/10
Island Wars: It exists. More fun than Try itself, and in the span of a twentieth of the runtime has sold me on more model kits than the entirety of Try. 5/10
Fighters Battlogue: With the exception of Ep 3 that I'd go as far as call insultingly bad, quite fun! Ep 2 exists, but 1, 4 and 5 are some really good battles. 6/10 on the whole
GM's Counterattack: Without a doubt the best of the bunch; that one was really good, and one scene actually managed to give me goosebups. If you liked Fighters, I highly recommend this one. 8/10
Divers Prologue: Fun battle, if nothing special. 6/10
Perfect Mission: An AMV. Nothing to write home about, but it looks pretty. 5/10
Mission to the Rise: About as good as a two minute scifi short was ever going to be. Visuals hold up beautifully despite being turn of the century CG, and while the story is complete nonsense as far as placement in UC goes, it is quite well executed. 6/10
08th MS Battle in three Dimensions: Fun battle in between the series; some good, pretty, inconsequential big robot action. 6/10
Twilight Axis: Despite its reputation, shockingly not garbage. The story is a complete nothingburger and I don't exactly care for another iteration of Waifuzeon vs Psychofeddies, but as far as the execution of the work goes, it's serviceable; nicely animated if nothing else. 4/10 could be a lot worse
Gundam Frag: Weird CG ZZ clipshow. Probably the most entertaining part of it are the in-universe filenames, and also that one guy crashing a car into an MS' foot. Even at ten minutes total kind of a waste of time. 3/10
Gundam Evolve: A bunch of CG shorts and one really terrible 0079 footage compilation; just kind of there. Some neat battles, some kinda ridiculous stuff, CG quality varies from just barely atchable to actually decent. Models are pretty good throughout. 5/10

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:30 pm

Maaya Sakamoto (seiyuu for Lunamaria Hawke) and Kenichi Suzumura (seiyuu for Shinn Asuka) have their first child:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ld/.184878

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:30 pm

Gundam Unicorn
Great animation, good plot, likeable characters, villains a bit one-dimensional (there are better Char clones out there). Marida Cruz needs a hug. Finally, I need to know whether Banagher Links and Audrey Burne have children, and what they're like :nyao: Does crossbreeding Newtypes result in more powerful Newtypes? ^_^

Gundam Narrative
Phenex good, rest of movie...uh... Main protag is unlikeable, villain is laughable punk band reject who can't even trash things properly with a giant MS, animation looks weird compared to main Gundam Unicorn OVA's at times.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Yeah, I quite agree. Unicorn is fun, if a bit too inoffensive, Narrative is just kind of a mess; can't really get invested in the characters if the untimely demise of any one of them would make the movie a lot more bearable to watch.
And yeah, Marida definitely deserved better; I'd even go as far as saying that they probably shouldn't have killed her off for the final battle, felt a little too much like a death just to fulfll the quota. And for a much minor complaint, Mineva really should have been aboard the Unicorn when she gave her speech; would have nicely echoed Gundam X

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:39 pm

Tbh I don't mind Marida getting killed because it was like one of the only times where I was actually sad a Tragic Newtype Girl (TM) got killed (And you sort of need one for the Tomino Homage Series that Unicorn is trying to be). Most of the time those characters' deaths I think are used in kind of a detached way that doesn't leave me feeling anything.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:11 pm

That's fair, I just think that having her around until the end would have made for more interesting narrative opportunities than her admittedly very well-executed death was

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:41 am

New info on Witch from Mercury just dropped; appears to be a school setting, which I am a lot more optimistic about learning that it's gonna be directed by the same guy as Code Geass. Pharact was also designed by the Armored Core guy and I am here for it; overall cautiously optimistic

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:39 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:New info on Witch from Mercury just dropped; appears to be a school setting, which I am a lot more optimistic about learning that it's gonna be directed by the same guy as Code Geass. Pharact was also designed by the Armored Core guy and I am here for it; overall cautiously optimistic

Just dropping by to clarify that it is not the same director as Code Geass but is the writer of CG, which is maybe even more exciting in a way. The director is Hiroshi Kobayashi who directed Kiznaiver and the new Spriggan and work on other shows along the way.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:22 pm

Does one really need to watch Zeta and ZZ in order to fully understand the Universal Century era at least from 0079 to 0093? I ask because I have seen the MSG movie trilogy, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team and of course Char's Counterattack. Another reason is that the UC entries that were released after like Unicorn, Narrative, and don't even get me started on Hathaway which I couldn't even get past the first 10 or 15 minutes were all pretty darn boring. And the Unicorn Gundam always seemed too gigantic for a main Gundam which has taken away any hope or me watching it again.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:10 pm

I skipped from Z to Unicorn, with little idea of what actually goes on in ZZ and only having read in passing a few of the CCA highlights, and there wasn't anything I couldn't follow along with. Hathaway, like F91 is post UC100 and thus past the era you mentioned.

Then there's this

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”