Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:12 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I disagree that Seed (or even Destiny for the most part) is style over substance.

SEED is better settei, trying to re-tell original MSG. It fails because its milking melodrama.

Destiny is a quick re-hash, brimming with stock footage, where you get a Zaft doppelganger of the 1st season cast and 90% of the plot is Shinn Asuka screaming "B-BUT MUH SISTER!"

Seed tells an all around good story and has some interesting dynamics that I haven't seen done all that often; Destiny from a conceptual point is not a bad story either, almost all of the individual plot points sound like they should have worked.

Having your story dominated by last season's cast was a bad way to go if you wanted us to care about Destiny's cast. Even more so with the Destiny cast being dominated by Asuka screaming, and everyone somehow shouldering this.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:SEED is better settei, trying to re-tell original MSG. It fails because its milking melodrama.

Implying 99% of gundam anime don't milk space opera melodrama.
(i'm not jabbing you, more so the gundam franchise as a whole)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Started watching Gundam Age just now; this show has visual style in spades, holy shit.

Only gripe is that everything just feels kinda distant and shallow, having a hard time getting invested in anything
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:14 pm

My apologies to everyone who replied to my declaration on Seed, I feel like I just made a mountain out of a molehill. Truth is, I only have limited knowledge of the Seed/Destiny workings due to having only seen some of the episodes over two decades ago as well as the Seed special edition trilogy. Also, the soundtrack to each series I feel is most recognizable and accessible to casuals because of the songs by TM Revolution.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Seed has a lot of problems, but one very strong arc a bit after the halfway point.

Destiny... well let's just say that around ep 40, there were some 2 or 3 episodes that were fun to watch
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:05 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Implying 99% of gundam anime don't milk space opera melodrama.
(i'm not jabbing you, more so the gundam franchise as a whole)

MSG hedged its bets better.

It treated having young kids fighting a war as both a bad, and an unusual development. GS treated it as normal, and then used the "innocence" to play up the death. For people who it made no sense why they had those roles to begin with [The Blitz pilot].

GS had the villian capture Flay, do ... nothing with her, and then returned her in time to have a "moving" death scene. Only it wasn't, as nothing about her character was likable.

Contrast that with the spy who died in MSG. She was only around for what, 2 episodes? Way more pathos.

Same to the buddy flying aircraft. I can't even remember the name for the guy in GS who took Athrun's spinning blade to the face. His lasting impact was making his girlfriend sad. Contrast that with Ryu, who died sacrificing himself. It wasn't sad just because someone else was made sad by it, it was sad because you knew the kind of person Ryu was. He acted as a conscience to Bright, and a mentor to the other pilots. Losing him was a blow to how the whole ship operated.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:36 pm

I'll openly admit that I did not finish 0079 when I tried getting into it back in the day, so what I say might change for the later half of the show; but calling the first part more serious or even less painful to watch than the respective parts of Seed is something I quite firmly disagree on.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 pm

The anime of 0079 aged horribly, I couldn't get through it either, had to resort to the compilation films. Even so, I don't consider SEED inferior despite some similarities.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:49 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'll openly admit that I did not finish 0079 when I tried getting into it back in the day, so what I say might change for the later half of the show; but calling the first part more serious or even less painful to watch

Character designs alone make it less painful.

0079 was a prototype show trying something new; it's missteps are the product of being limited in resources, breaking boundaries, and the odd "New age" fixations of the 1970s that didn't outlast its era.

GS was an established entry into an established genre & brand with everything going for it. It's missteps are due mostly to lazy writing, stock footage, and a "WTF were they thinking?" character designer. It screams wasted potential.

The excellent operatic score by Toshihiko Sahashi, the better Settei, and even the far more intricate Gundam designs, all deserved character and story writing to match. But they didn't get it.

MSG doesn't have that mismatch. Its kitsch goes along with everything else.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 am

You're arguing from the point that "0079 was the first, therefore it has to be better and its flaws don't matter".
I disagree; how good a show is has nothing to do with when it came out. Taking this to the logical extreme, you get to the conclusion that ancient stage plays are the best form of visual entertainment, simply because there was nothing that came before it.

Seed - like 0079 - has a lot of flaws, no question, but ignoring them on one and completely shittalking the other seems rather disingenuine to me.
Yure, you can say that you personally prefer 0079, but the claim that it is inherently superior to Seed is just not true, plain and simple

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:28 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:You're arguing from the point that "0079 was the first, therefore it has to be better and its flaws don't matter".

Nope, I'm saying its flaws are more justified, and are more even. They fit within the context the work was created in; a far more limited budget that got canned in the end, not nearly the same talent in mechanical design, music or art direction on board.

Mechanical design as a profession didn't even exist until MSG coalesced the demand for art designers who could produce it.

MSG is a far more raw experience where you're getting to see where Tomino's headspace was at, picking out elements before they became genre staples, and viewing others that clearly didn't survive into future adaptations. The psychedelicism of MSG never appears anywhere else; it's vastly toned down even in other U.C. installments.

GS is far more polished, it was acting on tropes lost-since established and was simply shuffling them around. It had the resources, the talent, the backing to be 10x what MSG was, yet it wasted that potential, and. it. shows. It wasted talent, it wasted passion, it threw good art and good music after bad characters and bad stories.

And oh yes, it had worse character arcs. Absolutely. Rau Le Creuset is a Char clone who doesn't get even half Char's development. He's one note, and stays that way.

Amuro never acts as if he's on a "great mission", he instead consistently acts like a 15-year old boy forced into that position. Nor is he ever characterized as "the savior" of humanity in the One-Year war, he's just one grunt in that war. >> Kira Jesus Yamato, no question.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:09 pm

I can see where you're coming from with the character arcs; but I much prefer having them this way instead of just being a carbon copy of 0079.

As far as everything else goes - the reasons why things are the way they are and why 0079 may or may not have had it harder in production does not change anything about how enjoyable the show is to watch.

I don't think there's much point in continuing this

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:14 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I can see where you're coming from with the character arcs; but I much prefer having them this way instead of just being a carbon copy of 0079.

They could have gone the Aldnoah Zero route, and went for an original story that evoked OG Gundam in minor ways, but wasn't aping the 0079 formula.

As far as everything else goes - the reasons why things are the way they are and why 0079 may or may not have had it harder in production does not change anything about how enjoyable the show is to watch.

What makes it it more interesting is it not being held down by genre conventions. It was the codifier, and as I said, other ideas it brought to the table didn't survive. It's more unique than Seed which was simply shuffling conventions around.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:09 am

Just to shuffle the topic to other series, I am getting ready to watch 0083 all over again. I have seen it a few times but from what I remember MAHQ saying is that I would understand it better if I view Zeta first. I have seen only the first 8 episodes of the latter so i'm not completely caught up so could you tell me is it better to know all of Zeta before diving into 0083?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:31 am

Gus Hanson: Nah, no need to watch Zeta. They may have said that because a character from Zeta appears very briefly in 0083, but you don't lose anything from not having seen Zeta.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:21 pm

^Yeah, I have to agree here. 0083 sets up the world in Zeta, so you'll have no problem following things.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Question about assembling Gunpla: is it complicated or what? I ask because for my first one, i want to make a RX 79 Gundam Ground Type. 08th MS Team is one of the greatest!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 pm

Not at all. Instructions are clear as day if you read them carefully.
Glad to see another one falling victim to the model kit virus :P

IF you're looking for more stuff afterwards, I highly recommend the HGIBO line, almost everything has an inner frame and is generally just a joy to work with

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 am

I've been really enjoying the new SD Gundam line based on Three Kingdoms. They're very easy but so cute and cool! I already needed to clear a shelf for all the ones I've built. I'll snap a photo later, you might want to try one of those!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am

I'm definitely gonna get myself tha Ma Chao Barbatos at some point :tongue:

Return to “Anime and Manga”