Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Rewatched CCA recently thanks to the BD special edition release, reminded me of the discussions I used to have on this thread, Tomino's got a certain energy to him that makes every fight brim with energy.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Once Uni stops being a pain in the ass, I'll definitely get to watching the original four, really looking forward to CCA (and Zeta even more so) already.
After 0079 didn't exactly impress me when I tried getting into it back in... 2016 I think, I'm really looking forward to seeing how my enjoyment of the show is gonna change now that I have a few AUs under the belt and have absorbed enough later plot points through pop culture osmosis to know what to look forward to
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 pm

That's good. I'd still advise any newcomers to the franchise to start Gundam through the original MSG film trilogy as opposed to the TV series, as it smooths out many of the animations and condenses the show in a satisfying manner. This is only for the original series however, do not attempt this with Zeta Gundam, A New Translation is a mess, the Zeta's TV series is superior in everything but animation. Always a good idea to check the start of the thread if in doubt, though it's not completely up to date, it holds the relevant data on UC.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 am

Yeah, when I tried getting into it I just entered "Gundam" into the searchbar of my streaming provider, and was immediately hit over the head with a metric fuckton of entries (some 4 or 5 pages of results, each isting between 80-100 titles) - although most of them were alternative names listed seperately (along the lines of "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" vs "New Mobile Report Gundam Wing" vs "Shin Kidou Seni Gundam Wing", and so on). About half an hour of reading wikipedia production history later, I figured I'd just start with the original show, and boy did I not have a good time.
I don't remember much apart from the two Zakus attacking the colony in the first Ep and Kai Shiden (I think was his name, the Gun...tank? pilot with the black hair) being absolutely insuffrable every time he appeared, but two more things stuck:
The monster of the week fight shoehorned into absolutely every episode (which ultimately led me to put the show on a hiatus until I forgot which episode I was on, something around 10 or 15ish, I think) and the ridiculously goofy music going along with it
The first opening, which I to this day hate
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 am

It's part of the trouble with being western fans, you have to ask other folks for help in where to start, almost everyone from my generation saw Wing as their first taste as kids and young teens.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:54 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Kai Shiden (I think was his name, the Gun...tank? pilot with the black hair) being absolutely insuffrable every time he appeared

I remember Kai. He was a Guncannon pilot and had blue hair, plus he stopped being cowardly and annoying after losing his girlfriend Miharu who was knocked to the sea by a rocket launched from a Gunperry.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:44 pm

I wouldn't spoil it all, but Miharu was a meme in Gundam San for a while. Her seiyuu is married to Toru Furuya

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I wouldn't spoil it all, but Miharu was a meme in Gundam San for a while. Her seiyuu is married to Toru Furuya

Furuya in turn before marrying Miharu's seiyuu he was married from 1976 to 1983 to Mami Koyama, another Gundam royalty who voiced Kycilia Zabi in 0079 plus Talia Gladys in Seed Destiny.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:11 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:We could take this recent news as clickbait given how long we have been waiting for this particular project to get off the ground:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... us/.150855

Really late response to that -
The other day, three brand new Seed model kits (High Grade Windam, new HG Infinite Justice and Real Grade force Impulse) were rather surprisingly announced all at once - this might not mean anything, but there is a chance Bandai is using that as a way to build some subtle hype.
I am cautiosly looking forward to whatever may come of it, neither Gundam sequel movies nor Seed Spinoffs have an exacly great track record all things considered.
On the flip side, Stargazer is both of these and was rather solid

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 am

In other news, I've finally gotten around to watching the new Build Divers show, and I am pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
I skipped out on the old one because of a whole array of issues, and I am glad to report that none of them are present in ReRise.
the battles require actual skill and tactics instead of just having a bigger kamehameha, the characters are likeable, and there are some actual stakes for a change.

Second season comes out in April, I'll definitely be watching that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:58 am

Trailer for Gundam Hathaway movie -- the 40th anniversary project is continuing into the new year.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Trailer for Gundam Hathaway movie -- the 40th anniversary project is continuing into the new year.

And it's being directed by Shuko Murase(Ergo Proxy) which I think is pretty exciting.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:31 pm

After War Gundam X
As of writing this line, it is currently 5:13 in the morning, I stayed up all night to watch the final ten episodes of this hidden gem of 90s animation.

Gundam X is the overlooked, but far better brother of Gundam Wing. A slow burner for sure, but a great show in every aspect.
The first half is better at building tension than in the most literal sense of the word any other show I have watched so far. Without much going on, it kept me at the edge of my seat, convinced that it was only a matter of seconds until things take a sharp turn for the awful.
The second half is more straightforward, but no less brilliantly executed.
Another impressive thing is the amount of reused animations - exactly two, in the second to last episode.
SPOILER: Show
Another highly impressive thing is that Gundam X manages to fit no less than four (maybe even five depending on your count) Char clones in its story in a natural way - Jamil and Lancerow being the obvious examples in terms of their history and mentor role (the visual of the Double X and Crouda Custom also fit neatly into the Nu/Sazabi theme), with Olba and Shagia filling in the antagonist part. Carris as a blonde Newtype might also count.
It's a shame that the show was a financial flop and was cut short, the ending did feel a bit rushed; also I feel like it would have been the far more interesting outcome if Bloodman or Rasso had survived and change their stance from the ground up, instead of being killed off and replaced.
My thoughts are still a bit of a mess, so I won't go into too much more here.

All in all, I would rate the show as a firm 9/10, definitely watch it if you haven't already. It's a nice break from a lot of the narrative baggage that usually comes frontloaded for the Gundam franchise.

Now if you would excuse me, I have to work out a plan on how to scratchbuild the Bertigo and Crouda Custom

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Would i be correct in saying the Seed and Seed Destiny franchises have the popularity that say something like Joel Schumacher's Batman movies somewhat had?

Both are style over substance and feel like they were made with production in some form interfering with what could've been a vision just as perfect as the predecessors.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Isn't SEED like one of the most popular ones in Japan? I personally think SEED has a fantastic Gundam story - if anything, it's some characters and recycled animation that holds it back a little, not the story/substance.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:Isn't SEED like one of the most popular ones in Japan? I personally think SEED has a fantastic Gundam story - if anything, it's some characters and recycled animation that holds it back a little, not the story/substance.

I guess but another defect of bringing confirmed dead characters back to the living realm due to the popularity card in play doesn't help matters in the least. Imagine a Destiny where Murrue would've had to live without Mwu/Neo by her side and the possibility of exploring whether she would still be moving on or find at least a new lover.

EDIT: I just had an idea for a better Destiny ending that I bet would've caused a ruckus in Japan. If you're gonna bring Mwu/Neo back, have him fill the Durandal role with Murrue perhaps knowing all along about his identity or finding out later and when the fortress goes down in the final episode, have them take the place of Durandal and Gladys in terms of being there awaiting their end with Rey as their closest thing to a happy family gone in flames. That would've made for a more Zeta style ending the Destiny overall style was going for.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:21 am

I'm referring to SEED standalone, not Destiny. I think Destiny is very flawed lol.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 pm

I don't think anyone posted this but Gundam Versus Maxi Boost is coming to PS4 worldwide. Here's the Japanese website for the arcade game if you're curious about the mobile suits or gameplay https://gundam-vs.jp/extreme/acmb-on. They've also confirmed there will be PS4 exclusive suits with the first being Zaku Amazing.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am

View Original PostStan wrote:I'm referring to SEED standalone, not Destiny. I think Destiny is very flawed lol.

I like to think of Destiny as my very own Gundam equivalent of 1997 Batman & Robin hehe. No matter how much i know it sucks, i always come back for more.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I disagree that Seed (or even Destiny for the most part) is style over substance.
Seed tells an all around good story and has some interesting dynamics that I haven't seen done all that often; Destiny from a conceptual point is not a bad story either, almost all of the individual plot points sound like they should have worked.

What is style over substance however is just about anything else from the CE timeline that isn't Seed, Destiny or Stargazer.
Regular MSV has its problems but is reasonable for the most part
Astray is just off the wall insane and not bound by such puny things as logic, common sense, narrative structure or established canon

Some of the highlight (or rather, low-lights) include:
SPOILER: Show
The entire premise - hey remember those five Gundams that were a huge deal because one man army? Well there were three (/four/five in sequels) more in the exact same place that noone cared about, not even the people building them

Hey remember that giant space catapult that everyone and their mom fought over? Well there was another one, floating on the ocean

On that topic, after they successfuly defended that space catapult from an attack, they decide that "nah, it's fine, it moves all the time, noone is gonna find it" - right after they themselves and the attackers have proved that you can, in fact, find it

Hey remember that invincible shield from that space fortress that blew up? Well, not only is the fortress and everyone on it just fine and the shield now installed on a Gundam, the shield is also mass produced on another Gundam!

Various people who were super dead, both from Astray as well as from the main series were reincarnated as holograms or "carbon humans" (so everyone else isn't carbon-based or how am I supposed to interpret this?), without any rhyme or reason to who gets reincarnated and who doesn't. Worst offender has to be George Glenn (first coordinater dude), who has been dead for more than fifty years

There's also excessive amounts of unexplained space magic. Pretty sure I would find more if I would read more than Astray and X Astray, but I'd rather spend my time doing something less painful. Like watching paint dry.

Return to “Anime and Manga”