Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:48 pm

I'ma stickin' with IBO, since it's actually good.

(also, is it weird to anyone else that people are hyping the shit out of Thunderbolt when it hasn't even been released, but aren't talking much about IBO, which is currently airing? You'd think the show that was currently on-air would be the one getting all the buzz, but instead it's all about what's coming next (and when what's coming next has some absolutely dismal prospects, at that).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:20 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:4 episodes...250 yen an episode in the country that brought us 70 dollar DVDs with 5 episodes on them? :huh:

Sounds like QUALITY.

This doesn't mean anything. Net animation is something new for Sunrise and Gundam so let's see how it turns out. Judging from the trailer and the pics it looks like it will have high anime quality. People were suspicious when Unicorn was announced as an OVA and not a TV Series. Let's see how this will turn out.

Also, the number of 4 episodes was expected since the manga is still running with no end in sight.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:54 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:(also, is it weird to anyone else that people are hyping the shit out of Thunderbolt when it hasn't even been released, but aren't talking much about IBO, which is currently airing? You'd think the show that was currently on-air would be the one getting all the buzz, but instead it's all about what's coming next (and when what's coming next has some absolutely dismal prospects, at that).

My best answer, IMO, is that Thunderbolt is being presented as a gritty war drama with adults as protags instead of juveniles, which is standard fare in Gundam. There could be hope amongst the fandom that this could bring all of (in their opinion) the best elements of the franchise, such as combat scenes and serious story, while keeping away the worst of them, such as orphans as comic relief, Haro, etc...

Also, could you explain why the choice of director does not bode well for the show? I haven't seen Valvrave so I don't know what you're getting at. And for the record, IBO is excellent.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Also, could you explain why the choice of director does not bode well for the show? I haven't seen Valvrave so I don't know what you're getting at. And for the record, IBO is excellent.

Valvrave is nicknamed "Valvrape", if that tells you anything. I don't have an awful lot of confidence in the director of such a show for obvious reasons.

And, as you likely know, IBO has not resorted to Haro, orphans as comic relief, or any of the other standard Gundam tropes. It has in fact treated child soldiers as actual child soldiers, and made people uncomfortable as a result. This is a good thing, IMO.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Souther
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Souther » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm not worried about the director because this is just going to be an adaptation of a previously existing work. Based on what I've heard about it, the Thunderbolt manga isn't really all that spectacular in the first place. It does have some great mobile suit designs and I imagine the action will look great in animation, but the physical maturity of the characters won't necessarily make the story anything special. The limited running time also seems to be an obstacle, so we should keep our expectations low. I'm assuming it will be vaguely comparable to MS Igloo, which also had adults and tons of (predictable) deaths in order to reiterate that war is gritty and terrible, without bringing anything new to the property.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/11/11000-scale-strike-freedom-gundam-by.html I don't have steady enough hands for something like this
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:20 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/11/11000-scale-strike-freedom-gundam-by.html I don't have steady enough hands for something like this

What is this? A Gundam for ants?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 pm

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:56 pm

time to see the tears of time in glorious HD
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Annual stream soon, all who wish to join in should message me on here or the other ways.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:33 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:time to see the tears of time in glorious HD

This might be a title I'm willing to double dip on and replace my Bandai DVDs. I wonder if we'll get the opening and closing songs this time?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:32 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:This might be a title I'm willing to double dip on and replace my Bandai DVDs. I wonder if we'll get the opening and closing songs this time?

No, they would have to pay Neil Sedaka millions.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 pm

So I caught up on Gundam IBO... is it just me or are there wayyyy too many sex references in this show?

It is annoying how that one random guy with the earrings keeps talking about tits and getting laid, obviously pointing out he banged a hooker that one time, pointing out the blond guy slept with a hooker, that little girl imagining sharing Mikazuki with the princess girl, the other captain guy having his own sex harem on the ship, and even the smaller boys talking about boobs and so on. I get that they're un-educated simple guys who have low IQ and nothing better to talk about, but c'mon, we get it.

It feels like too much, especially since they're all kids, stahp. :uhh:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:04 am

Doesn't seem that unrealistic, honestly. It's just part of the characterisation, as you describe yourself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Look what Santa Asia brought!

with that the collection is finally complete

--------

Reading the whole sequence again had me in tears ;_;

BELIEVE

SPOILER: Show

thank you Yoshikazu Yasuhiko for this masterpiece. You can rest now.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:38 pm

YES MY SWEET YES MY SWEETEST

I got up to volume 11 of the origin for Christmas now i just need to get 12 can't wait for it.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:38 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:with that the collection is finally complete

Indeed. All of them together look grand on my bookshelf. Makes me wonder if Yas can be nominated for a Hugo.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 pm

IBO 13: This show gets better by the ep. I continue to be impressed by its treatment of child soldiers (both as protags and antags), and the consequences that go along with, and the emphasis on family throughout is just so damn refreshing for a Gundam show that I can barely stand it. Anyone who isn't watching this is seriously missing out.

Thunderbolt 1: . . . and then we have what might be the most dismal U.C. entry to date. We have jazz, because we gotta be edgy. We have shit protags, because I guess that's good somehow? You know something's wrong if the space nazis are looking like the good guys (plenty of precedent for that, what with the Titans and all, but this is less a matter of politics than the fact that the Feddies really suck and the Zeons are just seriously fucked up). This show's pretty, and I guess the whole "find the sniper" trope has its place, but I'm not finding anyone to root for and I'm feeling like I'm seriously wasting my time. Glad this isn't a full-on series, meaning I can do my due diligence watching it without unduly wasting my time.

How the hell can something so dreadful be produced simultaneously by the same studio that's producing the beauty of IBO? It's absolutely amazing to me.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 am

Probably because one is a manga adaptation.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:IBO 13: This show gets better by the ep. I continue to be impressed by its treatment of child soldiers (both as protags and antags), and the consequences that go along with, and the emphasis on family throughout is just so damn refreshing for a Gundam show that I can barely stand it. Anyone who isn't watching this is seriously missing out.

I really like the plot too, but the romance feels so shoehorned and out of place forced in. Kind of killing the enjoyment of the show for me with all the forced relationships.

Return to “Anime and Manga”