Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Did anyone understand the first few minutes of this episode? Can they fill me in on what happened?

SPOILER: Show
Exactly what was the deal with Saki tripping on acid? And with her fixing Satoru's cantus? I figured that they didn't truly have it "sealed," that it was just a trick and/or hypnosis, but how'd she bring it back, and what prompted her to try that? Also, what was the deal with the explosion? Was it just a bomb or something?

Anyway, good episode. Definitely wasn't as "off" as the last episode, which was nice. And to state what I think everyone's thinking: I don't trust that mole rat.
Not sure if you still need help but I wrote quite a lot about this episode (and this anime) in MAL. You may want to check
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18124597
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18125005
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18124629
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Not sure if you still need help but I wrote quite a lot about this episode (and this anime) in MAL. You may want to check
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18124597
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18125005
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=5 ... sg18124629

Fireball mentioned the gas and panic but the rest of the stuff was still vague. Thanks for the posts symbv! Judging from your posts, though, it seems they screwed up episode 5 even more than I thought. Funny, after watching that one of the first things I saw was someone comparing that episode to the episode of TTGL with the bad animation. Seems like Episode 5 will be remembered the same way.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm just surprised how sexually liberal the kids are now what with the girls pairing up with girls and boys pairing up with boys, dating, frolicking, etc..... Oh and that french kiss between Shin and that other boy? Wow....never thought they would go that far!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:I'm just surprised how sexually liberal the kids are now what with the girls pairing up with girls and boys pairing up with boys, dating, frolicking, etc..... Oh and that french kiss between Shin and that other boy? Wow....never thought they would go that far!

It's funny that people are talking about that when the real issue, at least to me, is Shun's fate. More and more I don't see how this show can possibly end well. I guess that's hardly news by this point, but still . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's funny that people are talking about that when the real issue, at least to me, is Shun's fate. More and more I don't see how this show can possibly end well. I guess that's hardly news by this point, but still . . .

No need to fret! We'll find out soon enough in the next episode. The show seemed to have a very ominous tone right from the start. I'm sure people will start dying very soon.....

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:58 am

Well episode 9...

The seem to done something with Shun and everyone from pinewind, though the erratic weather patterns have me scratching my head. We also got a bit on Saki's siblings and her parents ingenious naming system.

Also that chimera looks wimpy

Great episode can't wait for the next one.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:16 am

Expect saber toothed tigers, get high-heeled pussycat with flower frill.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Expect saber toothed tigers, get high-heeled pussycat with flower frill.

I was expecting it to be all transparent and blue and magical and shit like the library. Poor things kind of cute.

I suppose the assumption might be that Shun's charm worked, but looking at that scene it reminded me a lot of the goo spitting dinosaur in Jurassic Park. I'm just waiting for it to turn it's head to the side and hiss acid in Saki's face.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 am

Maybe the thing will eat Saki in the next episode. One can always dream after all. . .

Anyway I hope things start picking up soon. Getting rather tired of all this silly running around.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:56 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Maybe the thing will eat Saki in the next episode. One can always dream after all. . .

wat

That's unlike you.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm

How so?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:35 pm

It seems unlikely, given that she's the narrator. My guess is that Shun will intervene to save her, at which point they'll get to wrecking society in earnest. I suspect the moral of the whole affair will be "if this is what we have to do to survive, is survival really worth it?" Not quite sure of the answer to that myself.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:15 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:How so?

You wanting a character to die seems odd.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It seems unlikely, given that she's the narrator. My guess is that Shun will intervene to save her, at which point they'll get to wrecking society in earnest. I suspect the moral of the whole affair will be "if this is what we have to do to survive, is survival really worth it?" Not quite sure of the answer to that myself.

Meh, I'm still leaning towards them finding some rogue civilization hiding beyond the admittedly small known world. I guess we'll find out soon, though, depending on how this event plays out.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You wanting a character to die seems odd.
I suppose it does, it certainly isn't my usual response to annoying characters. I'm probably just projecting all my frustrations with the show onto her.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 am

Why is she annoying and why are you frustrated? I mean the pacing is kind of slow but that's the only complaint I have so far.

Edit: Rereading, that might have come off as confrontational. It wasn't meant to, I'm just curious.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:12 am

It's frustrating because my fears proved true and they used the time jump to reset the show and now it's the beginning all over again only without proper character development to make the situation believable.

As for why I don't like Saki, take your pick. She's weak, indecisive, and worst of all a moron. She has access to almost all of the secretes behind her society yet she runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to figure out what happened to Shun when it's obvious she should already know. To be fare they all act this way, but the fact she gets the most screen time plus all the other annoying crap she does (dinner with the folks) makes her insufferable. So thanks to all that I wouldn't exactly mind if a certain kitty got in a few bites in the near future.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Well, I wanted to see why people were talking so much about this anime, so I finaly watched all the available episodes. Now I´m hooked. Waiting for the episodes is going to kill me. Damnit.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:It's frustrating because my fears proved true and they used the time jump to reset the show and now it's the beginning all over again only without proper character development to make the situation believable.

I suppose it could have been handled better, but they didn't reset the show. They spent like two episodes setting up "Where we're at now" and are diving right back into it. Yes relationships changed during those years, but that's adolescence. They can't show all of that, it'd take years and most of those changes are meaningless anyway because they're overwritten two days later.

As for why I don't like Saki, take your pick. She's weak, indecisive, and worst of all a moron. She has access to almost all of the secrets behind her society yet she runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to figure out what happened to Shun when it's obvious she should already know. To be fare they all act this way, but the fact she gets the most screen time plus all the other annoying crap she does (dinner with the folks) makes her insufferable.

She's a child in a society where talking is punishable by, presumably, death or exile. Her parents are hiding things from her, her teacher is hiding things from her, the village elders are hiding things from her, hell her friend is even hiding things from her. How does she have access to almost all the secrets? She doesn't even know if what that library thing said was true. Everyone she knows is telling her one thing, her entire culture is claiming that it was a demon and a liar, and it's claiming something entirely opposite. Try imagining how a villager from the 13th century would act if someone from 500 years in the future used a time machine to appear in front of him and reveal to him the secrets of the world, to explain to him how all these facets of Christianity have been disproven and his entire belief system is one big manipulation by people in power. Do you think he'd believe them or do you think he'd think that person was a demon sent to try and lead him astray? It wouldn't be an easy process by any means, he'd struggle very hard with the concept that everything he believes in is an utter lie, and very likely go into denial about it.

And I don't know how you're saying it should be obvious what happened to Shun when we don't even know for sure. Did he run away on his own knowing the jig was up? Did he get exiled by the elders? Did he kill the people from the cordoned off area or did someone else? Are they even dead for sure? Seems to hint that way but who knows. And most importantly unanswered before the next episode preview: What about Shun? Is he alive or dead?

And what's wrong with her having dinner with her parents? She's freaking lost. Her world is crumbling down around her.

I don't... I don't get you. You don't like Kirito because he's a flawless self insert and you don't like Saki because she's a (believably) flawed character. What do you like?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I think CJD has the right of it here. Nothing Saki's said or done seems particularly foolish to me, and I don't agree for a moment with the notion that she has access to all of her society's secrets. I also really doubt that Shun's fate is all that obvious; his isn't a case of lack of talent or breach of ethics, but rather something more serious. And unlike the others, I don't think this one will go away -- it will be a central plot point defining the rest of the show.

What happened to him? I dunno, but it was something big. I think the other kids recognize this. I think their elders do, too. And I think dismissing it as "obvious" is premature; the buildup so far is too great for it to be discarded so casually.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Shinsekai Yori Episode 10 was..
Very tragic it's seems there really wasn't anything Saki could have done to save Shun,it seems his lack of control over his Canti was at the root of his problem. They even ended up killing his dog in the process, all I have to say is damn do I feel horrible for Shun right now. It going to be interesting to see what Saki's plan of action is next time. Well other than just staying alive.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Return to “Anime and Manga”