Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

n2eva
Embryo

Motoko Kusanagi Figure

•      
  •      

Postby n2eva » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Just looked over my toy collection recently and decided that maybe the Mcfaralne Toys GITS Motoko Kusanagi just doesn't go in with the rest of my stuff anymore. Lots of cables and wires. Might put it up for sale.

Also got me to wondering if it's "odd" for a dude to have a female fig.

I'm aware that it isn't an anime figurine in the strictest sense and is more of a cool cyberpunk toy. Of course if a comic accurate Fuchikoma was produced with a Motoko pilot figure that'd be a no brainer as a must have.

No disrespect intended if there are guys on here that do have female anime pieces and this doesn't apply to people into Star Wars figs where you'd kinda have to have a Leia or Padme. Just asking for thoughts on the subject. Is there a consensus opinion, majority/minority feeling, etc?

And yeah one of themes in a lot of anime is of women as central characters which is totally cool. That's part of the storytelling but having a female character item-maybe something different?

I know I maybe should be posting this on a toy collecting site but that would be yet another username/password to memorize. And it could get ugly there. Good sense of opinion and humor in these forums.

Sorry in advance if I violated any kind of forum etiquette mentioning not one but two other popular sci fi series.

Thanks

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Motoko Kusanagi Figure

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 am

View Original Postn2eva wrote:Also got me to wondering if it's "odd" for a dude to have a female fig.
If a guy has any anime figures, it would be more unusual for them not to be of girls.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 am

^+1

All my anime figures are girls. It would be unthinkable for me that they are not girls. I am not into stuff like mecha or monsters anyway. And no guys either ;wink;

Some of the figures I would LOVE to own I posted in the Anime Figure thread here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/2991/Anime-Figure-Thread/120/?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:19 am

The only anime figures I have are girls (not including model kits) and I would only get girl figures (well I might get a Shinji for the sole reason of putting him and Asuka in a lovey dovey postion.)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Female characters are more interesting and get more figures.

All my figures are female, too

:shrug:

n2eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby n2eva » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Cool. Didn't ever think there was any problem with it, just never had this discussion with any other collectors.

Actually only have one other friend who's into figs/toys but he's more into dark stuff like Misfits and Chaos comics. Now that I think of it he did have one, a female vampire called Purgatory.

Personally I'm into mecha or anything that looks cool from any series or genre. My small collection has the spectrum from a vintage Mospeada Ride Armor to Anakin's Podracer. Of course there's an Eva Unit 02/ EOE version(I think that's the version name) in there.

After I posted last night I thought I was gonna get railed on. I've read threads on toy collector forums and sometimes they get militant.

Still haven't decided on selling the Motoko fig. Probably keep it after all. Saw some google images last night with cool pose ideas.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Female characters are more interesting and get more figures.

This

I might make exception out of Solid Snake and I must admit that Woody is kind of tempting...

but no way in hell I'm going to let it in same house with my Ranka-chans, oh hell no

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32 pm

^
wouldn't want Snake or Woody hitting on the Ran siblings :lol:
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Snake is ok in the same house with all the girly girly figures and he's a manly bastard but Woody....now he's just something else, as goes without saying... -o-;

Speaking of figures, women and oddness of owning anime figures, a really funny (in a sardonic and xardian-selfmockery way) thing happened yesterday which I might as well share - though it's nothing special and it has to wait for later -o-;

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Speaking of figures, women and oddness of owning anime figures, a really funny (in a sardonic and xardian-selfmockery way) thing happened yesterday which I might as well share - though it's nothing special and it has to wait for later -o-;

Now.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes I concur with InstrumentalityOne please share the story.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am

Am I the only one here who doesn't own any figurines? I wouldn't say no to an action figure like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEsuzvNcg0 but most anime characters look creepy as fuck in three dimensions. They don't have noses.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:most anime characters look creepy as fuck in three dimensions. They don't have noses.
You're not looking at the right figurines, I guess. The figs I have all feature noses, including the adorable little nendoroids I've purchased.

The coolest part of the figs is IMO the level of detail that goes into making the features and clothing 3D. Stuff like armor details or billowing effects of skirts or hair, for instance. It always impresses me how the sculptors are able to design these things for mass market.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:It always impresses me how the sculptors are able to design these things for mass market.

Not really.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm

How not?

Unless you're buying some kind of custom-made & tailored to specification artistic sculptures, you're getting something that's effectively mass-market.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Oh, I thought you meant mainstream instead of niche markets instead of custom or tailor made.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Not that this thread has any semblance of topic left...

View Original PostRodeo wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't own any figurines?
Probably. Even I have one (a garage kit Deunan Knute assembled and painted by a keen modeller friend of mine) that sits in a display case along with various other nick-nacks, not all of them D&D related.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”