What anime are you watching right now? Sep2011-May2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 pm

answered Azathoth in EVOL topic

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Watched episode 1 of Macross zero today. CG is pretty dated but I don't really mind all that much, show is good so far but there is a lack of Jpop so far. And lol I remember this from macross frontier so that movie Bird human was based of macross zero :lol:

Funny thing is I thought so too (about CG) when I first watched Zero but as time has passed on and I've rewatched bits of it (plus MADs and such) I've reversed my opinion about that and think it's really superb for all VF and combat material. Some of the other CG is a bit undertextured but mecha CG is superb.

Zero is the title in franchise least focused on music - which was understandable corrective move after excesses of 7 but is also one reason why it isn't anywhere near my favourite.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:@child of Lilith:
What exactly did you not like a about durarara? Granted, it's not the show of the century, but it is entertaining, isn't it?
Basically everything. The characters, music, story. . . everything. It all sucked hard. Though the worst of all was the behaviour of the characters and how they related to each other. So much of what they did to each other was reprehensible and vile. It's as if the people who made this show have no idea how a real relationship works.

View Original PostFireball wrote:>That feel of accomplishment from finishing something no matter how crappy it is.

I know where you are coming from. Might not be the most rational thing to do but you can at least say you have full knowledge of it. There are also anime that start rather slow and pick up in the last seconds or you are desperately waiting for that special moment to redeem itself. I can't remember if I ever dropped a show before but I'm also more careful in what I choose to watch.
Not really. When I was finally free of this show I felt more numb then anything else, but also relieved it was finally all over and I could set this particular burden aside.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
Allow yourself a three-episode rule, or something, if you can't do a simple cost-benefit of "Is there something I could do that is more entertaining than this?" If it comes to that, having /a/ open and seeing whether you pause the player to F5 more than watching would be a pretty basic test of whether it's time to look out a better series.

And even if you've bought the disks, don't let the sunk cost fallacy drag you down, tempting though it might be (yeah, I'm the one to talk -- I made the mistake of watching the second episode of Texhnolyze that way). You can't take back the mistaken economic signal.
This is a very good idea, but sadly one I cannot use. As I said before, I must finish what I start.
------------

Watched Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing Episode 12. This episode was pretty good, even though it was taking place 10 years in the past. It was nice seeing the way things used to be but rather sad knowing what a wreak their world would become. Even worse was seeing the what happened to the Queen.
SPOILER: Show
Seeing her die trying to save someone who would grow up to make a mockery of all her ideals was simply awful. And further cemented my hatred for that worthless fool of a princess.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Allow yourself a three-episode rule, or something, if you can't do a simple cost-benefit of "Is there something I could do that is more entertaining than this?" If it comes to that, having /a/ open and seeing whether you pause the player to F5 more than watching would be a pretty basic test of whether it's time to look out a better series.

I am going to have to do, wasted too much time during the fall season on duds.
"Doctor, Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"
"Well, stop doing that, then."

I like to call that the anal sex dilemma
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:56 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing Episode 12. This episode was pretty good, even though it was taking place 10 years in the past. It was nice seeing the way things used to be but rather sad knowing what a wreak their world would become. Even worse was seeing the what happened to the Queen.
Seeing her die trying to save someone who would grow up to make a mockery of all her ideals was simply awful. And further cemented my hatred for that worthless fool of a princess.

While I agree with you that it is a good episode, I do feel a little more sympathetic for Liliana since we now have, if not an explanation, at least a motive for her heel turn in the previous episode.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I dunno, the ED is much better IMO.
http://youtu.be/n88HQdXEDkM

Did I say the "best"? I said "most effective", meaning it got stuck in your head the easiest. The ED of "Kill Me Baby" is better I would agree (just look at the dances) but still the OP is most effective.

View Original PostXard wrote:that's no nekomimi moodo as far as I'm concerned with denpa. I like Space Pirates's OP "denpaness" (yes yes it doesn't fit the genre exactly but) a lot more.

Expecting Nekomimi mode in Denpa just misses the point of denpa entirely. Denpa is denpa; nekomimi mode is nekomimi mode.

Not checking Aquarion Evol yet. I am back to my old self, which means choosing fan-service anime like "Highschool DxD" to feed the lust in me first and foremost :p

And then there is "Amagami SS+". Did not expect it would start with Ayatsuji arc right at the beginning. Yes yes yes...

"Space Pirate" is more conventional than I expected. Wonder how it can be stretched in 2 cours -- a 2cour original anime is quite some investment.

"Ano Natsu de matteru" - I got a good Anohana vibe... Not the story itself, but the background the setting and the ensemble cast.... not to say a story about growing up, friendship and love.

Detailed discussion of "Nisemonogatari" goes to the Monogatari thread
thread/12374/The-Monogatari-Thread/
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Though the worst of all was the behaviour of the characters and how they related to each other. So much of what they did to each other was reprehensible and vile.
I'm not surprised, given that this was from the same author as Baccano!, a series I dropped like a brick during episode 3 for much the same reasons.

Not really. When I was finally free of this show I felt more numb then anything else, but also relieved it was finally all over and I could set this particular burden aside.
Man, you do need to work on that OCD. Saying "NOPE!" early feels even better, man.

Since AoD seems to have gone full subscription and to have picked up no new titles this quarter, well, there went Tiger + Bunny and Un-go. There are enough titles on Crunchy to keep me going, even if none of them are "must see the next episode now!" level (I think Letter Bee was the last title that did that).

Crunchy are also giving me the chance to explicitly not watch Nisemonogatari this quarter -- the first time they pick up a season's high profile show and they did have to choose that one. If it had been last year's Q1 SHAFT show, that would have been a different matter entirely.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 am

hahahaha...

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 am

^
Methinks of that strange-looking face at the old Expo site. :lol:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:^
Methinks of that strange-looking face at the old Expo site. :lol:

That's what she was mimicking. That whole sequence is just hilarious.

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

Postby Noriko is my wife » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:17 am

Rinne no Lagranne's first episode was pretty awesome. I liked the cheerful and innocent mood.

Ano natsu was a surprisingly sober take on the magical girlfirend genre. The characters are the kind you wouldn't find outside of anime but still depicted with a sense of naturalism. More importantly, the Uon/Tanaka combination results in delicious character deisgns. It only gets marked down for pretentious voice-overs.

Another
this sucked

Nisemonogatari was more of the same but maybe with some art improvements and more animation? Can't really tell. That's high praise anyway.

Milky Holmes 2 was also more of the same as in everyone/everything is just as dumb as last time. That's also praise, maybe.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 am

^So two anime in this season refer to Evangelion? Interesting...

Daily Lives of High School Boys 男子高校生の日常 - Slice-of-life of high school boys?? I don't really find the manga too interesting, but the anime is actually quite funny. A lot of credit have to go to the seiyuu -- amazingly they got quite many well known seiyuu to take part: Miyu Irino, Tomokazu Sugita, Daisuke Namikawa, Yuuki Ono; even the female characters (which as the title suggests are all lesser characters) use well-known seiyuu: Ayahi Takagaki, Yoko Hikasa, Yuuki Aoi, Chiwa Saitoh, Yuu Kobayashi.... The teacher is Misato of Eva (Kotono Mitsuishi)... Most of the girls are not in ep.1 but I look forward to seeing/hearing them. It even has the self-deprecating sense of humor to admit they failed to meet the deadline of making a proper ED animation....

Anyway, some interesting moments:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

Postby Noriko is my wife » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^So two anime in this season refer to Evangelion? Interesting...

eeh that was about the kanji in her name meaning "scream" or something but now its a comment about her looks.

I also watched Daily Lives of High School Boys. The writing could be sharp and funny, especially when it got a bit more absurd like in the last part with the girl. But aside from the all-star voice cast there wasn't anything special about the execution. If the manga is well done I think I would prefer it.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^So two anime in this season refer to Evangelion? Interesting...

Those are doctored subtitles, but the parrot´s name is Rei and the MC´s mother´s name is Ritsuko so yeah.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:

:rofl: Caught in the act.

Good to hear that Mitsuishi is back once more, probably playing a bit of her Episode 26 persona. :) Would like to check that out.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 am

^What's the other anime that refers to eva?
Watched Mirai nikki episode 13 ,My favorite part in the manga is coming up soon. also watched Gintama 241. Yay more tranies along with Nisemonogatari 1 and Zero no tsukaima F. Anime pope.:lol:
I actually had high hopes for Another. :(
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:^What's the other anime that refers to eva?

Nisemonogatari

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 am

^Nisemonogatari has Senjougahara mimicking Rei before the Ramiel battle.
"You won't die. I'll protect you"

edit: guess someone was faster than me :)
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:^Nisemonogatari has Senjougahara mimicking Rei before the Ramiel battle.
"You won't die. I'll protect you"

edit: guess someone was faster than me :)

:lol: And she makes a shoutout for Yuno.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Star Driver: Kagayaki no Nissan 01. Uhh, Rinne no Lagrange 01, I mean. I don't mean it as an insult, but the vibe I got instantly, and I do mean instantly, was that of SD - and I thought and think that SD was one of the best shows of the last decade, so I'm okay with that.

Good:
    -The protagonist, mostly. Takuto with a less interesting character design, but on the other hand, Takuto with tits is about all I ever wanted from a feMC. About a thousand times more interesting in this first episode than some other celebrated Madokas have been during their entire shows.
    -Sense of wonder. Hugely important to any mecha show, I think, is that it doesn't take its own premise for granted. This was a big failing of SD in some ways. There is a gigantic cavern beneath your island full of dormant godbots with infinite power, show a little respect before you hop in and start busting a hissatsu.
    -Writing. Should be pretty obvious.
    -The design. I'm sure /m/ already hates them, but they actually look pretty good...even if the OP does make them come off as Precure no Lagrange.
    -Speaking of OP, OP animation. Song is meh. dem colors though
    -Dem colors in general. Character animation lets itself down a few times but the background art is consistently amazing.
    -Is the kendo club president going to be a bigger character? that last shot of her was somewhat menacing.
    -Big-sister-figure cousin is a more novel road into the land of mecha than parent, I guess. Her family situation seems a little complex; it's a mark of the quality writing that nobody ever needs to ask her if her parents died in a terrible backstory accident when she was a child. I assume her real parents will show up at some point, although I guess her brother is probably dead. I hope an everyoung gay painter voiced by Akira Ishida is involved.
    -Dat homolust. Doubt it'll last, given the battle-of-the-sexes theme we see so far, but it's a proud tradition of no less worthiness than it was in Gunbuster. In fact the general homosociality of the show so far was an interesting touch. I wonder if this mightn't be the crossover point between "boring little girls doing boring little girl things" shows, and interesting anime.
    -Worldbuilding. "Marine Archaeology Labs" is a nice, subtle little touch which immediately combines with any sort of genre savvy to tell you something huge about the show.
    -Dat moon scene. lolwut but at the same time amazing. Even in StarDriver, they only had a pimping lounge. These guys have a pimping ship on the damn moon.
    -VOX herself. I hope she actually has a personality, and just as much that she doesn't turn out to be Madoka's mother/father/brother. It's a consistently underexplored element of mecha, and one of SD's bigger failings.
    -Madoka's combat hairtie. A nice touch, and a nice tribute to her presumably deceased brother.
    -The pro-wrestling gimmick. Good for laugh. Could go either way eventually.
    -Commie's sub notes. I lol'd hard at "meduka no pilot bobot"
Bad
    -Quirkinesses of Madoka. I realize that they didn't want to make her perfectly bland, but giving her dumb little mannerisms doesn't make me like her more. The "maru" thing is only sort of annoying, but her "lol i will act out the surprising thing you are telling me" is not particularly funny and could get old really fast. Honestly, I'd rather she started bland and became cool later than that they oversold her. Her character's girl Takuto with a side of EMIYA, why make more of her?
    -Character design. How bland can you get? All the more disappointing because other design aspects of the show are good to great.
    -Variable-sized tits. I know, I know, however big or small may be required for the sake of the individual animator's boner. Still, though. When they change in the time it takes her to turn around it's just a little distracting.
    -Reiclone's name. I'm not even going to try and spell it. good lord Japan, this is almost as bad as that time you wrote "Lark" as "Lal'C".
    -Defense turrets. Why does anyone even bother with defense turrets? Have they ever stopped a kaiju or enemy mech? Have they ever even slowed them down?
    -Soundtrack. Not that the music itself is terrible, but poorly used, rather. The only scene in which it felt tone-appropriate was the moon scene. Worst offender is the "just get in the damn robot, bitch" scene, which plays triumphant fanfare for seriously like a minute before she's even decided to do anything. Yikes.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:18 pm

-Defense turrets. Why does anyone even bother with defense turrets? Have they ever stopped a kaiju or enemy mech?

The super weak/fragile ones.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”