Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

tender
Embryo

Postby tender » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:02 am

The length of this thread and the number of Kyubey-inspired avatars & signatures pleases me.

Ep. 10! So many excellent scenes... you really get a feel for Homura's misery and determination.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

There is no reaction pic that could describe that episode.

Postby Killer Bee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Reactions here are comedy gold.

Haha, I just read the whole thing. Best shitstorm of all time.

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby User-iel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 am

Rise, Akiyuki Shibo. Stand, Gen Urobuchi. Iwakami Atsuhiro, attend.
This sacrifice is good.
Become a legend!

I'm moved, in that the emotion was well played and the common ways to fault quality have been avoided. This won't be your father's Mahou Shoujo - Unless your dad watched his anime during the Battle of Iwo Jima! The effort to condense enough on-screen development to back up the history for Homura was more than justified. 'Soft' Time Travel is fun! Mami is being played as the intelligent leader - all the way down! The only wobble in characterization would seem to be Kyubey setting as superior the value of an episodic metric versus an infinite series of collections. "Silly nekko!" - said by the children from the Trix commercials. Of course, he's confirmed now as a fully synthetic being, since he displays no survival instinct at all. Makes him a little harder to deal with, really. The rest will all a great fireworks show, time to kick back and let it go down. I only wish to offer the hope that somehow the parents become the missing part of Homura's solution. After all, what makes some girls eligible as Puella Magi, and others less able or even immune?

Fanart Wishlist!

Too many to think about! But since the ending is here, Let's see the winning attack immortalized in pixels!

Kyu - - - BEEAAAMMMMM ! ! !

@Merridian Didn't I try to tip you off to that one? Master point to Urobuchi/Shinbo for inverting main character and support - with style!

@kuwisdelu I'm going to just let it happen now. But there are several key turns - and a self centered alien - still up in the air. Please, go ahead.

@symbvThis is a good episode from many of the criteria for film criticism, so please be assured. Just seeing some caps and some plot points has NOT 'spoiled' the episode. Bring popcorn!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:49 am

Nice episode this week. I wasn't sold on Homura's backstory in the beginning of the episode, but they really did find a way to make it work.

I wonder were the show will go from here?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 am

I hope today's earthquake/tsunami doesn't affect the next episode. Must be QB's revenge. :angry:

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 am

ep 10 aired

and then Madoka was 10/10 series

VENI, VIDI, VICI

I haven't been this moved and amazed by episode of a show I've followed live in a whole year.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit

GOD TIER

>> Anonymous Thu Mar 10 11:35:57 2011 No.46899515

/u/ just exploded

LOL

SPOILER: Show
Sora no Woto ep 7 live watching thread is still the best reaction thread in /a/

summa summarum:

FUCK YOU QB, FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Don't you fucking dare give me BAD END after this, Butch Gen ;____;

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 am

The girls can agree with you much. :)

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:03 am

I'm feeling a little Endless Eight after watching that. Definitely an incredible episode. symbv, you're missing out :P

I enjoyed the whole back story progression of Homura from when she was emotion full but sucked at battle, to her cold self that's in the current progression. It was interesting to see the different endings that occurred. Was a bit weird to see Mami go allcrazy on everyone though. Haha, I loved to see her steal military and law enforcement weapons. That's awesome.

I also liked how when she was about to go back that last time QB's like "Hey, wait a minute...."

Yes.

THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 am

PMMM confirmed for motherfucking instant classic...

-PMMM-
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-The rest of the anime currently airing-

No competition imo. If they don't fuck up the ending this series will be a milestone.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:Oh and something I remembered while watching, I don't remember when or where, but someone said that "Homura clenched her teeth in the 1st episode when Madoka called her Akemi, because that's her real first name."

What Shinbo and all the staff ask us to do is to re-watch Ep.1 and feel it all over again before we watch the last 2 episodes. I think it is a piece of advice that would prove very rewarding, and you have already found one insight in Ep.1 that became clearer after we saw Ep.10.

Thanks! I was about to ask if any has kept the real time reactions from /a/... I agree this is truly precious treasure :lol:

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I'm buying, hi-res and low-res. :)

You know what, now I really could feel an impulse to pre-order the BD release of PMMM... I can easily imagine many in Japan who would think similarly, and we are talking about massive Bakamonogatari scale of sales figure...

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I hope today's earthquake/tsunami doesn't affect the next episode. Must be QB's revenge. :angry:

It is DEFINITELY AFFECTING the Tokyo Broadcast of PMMM Ep.10 Yesterday it was broadcast only to Osaka region and I was hoping to see it on TV tonight but even now every tv station is still reporting the quake non-stop... :boohoo: Perhaps it will be broadcast on a later day... And I also failed to get PMMM manga vol.2 today because of the quake :boohoo:

View Original PostXard wrote:ep 10 aired

and then Madoka was 10/10 series

I haven't been this moved and amazed by episode of a show I've followed live in a whole year.

In fact some 2chan chaps claimed it must be one of the best 5 (or 3, whatever) anime in the last decade. Exaggeration perhaps but I do feel a strong emotional attachment to the characters and the animation which rarely came so strong with other anime. Just look at all the fan-art done since the anime started airing... Have we ever seen so many creative works, from doujin to illustrations to iPhone cover to figurine to food and all the sundry items, for the girls (and qb, fine) ? Honestly I have never seen anything like this since Eva. And although I have not seen Ep.10 yet, just by watching the screencap sequence and the spoiler I already felt tears in my eyes... I can hardly imagine how much hardship HomuHomu went through to help Madoka.... and on this I have to...

...congratulate Xard for his prediction -- HomuHomu in fact turned out to be Madoka's lover !! :lol: I do believe this is as far as you can push yuri in conventional mahou shoujo genre without resorting to hard yuri depicton or symbolism....

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I'm feeling a little Endless Eight after watching that. Definitely an incredible episode. symbv, you're missing out :P

Don't rub salt into my wound :angry: :p I will watch it for sure, by hooks and by crooks :)

And you know some in 2chan are asking why couldn't KyoAni make Endless Eight like PMMM Ep.10 ?? :lol: :lol:

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:
I enjoyed the whole back story progression of Homura from when she was emotion full but sucked at battle, to her cold self that's in the current progression. It was interesting to see the different endings that occurred. Was a bit weird to see Mami go allcrazy on everyone though. Haha, I loved to see her steal military and law enforcement weapons. That's awesome.

I love the idea that Homura started out as a weak girl and that she was never a powerful mahou shoujo to begin with even after she became one. It showed how much she evolved and transformed herself to being stronger and stronger just by her single-minded will to save Madoka from certain death. And you could see how much progress she made.

As for Mami going all crazy... This shows Mami always has a fragility part in her character, not unlike Sayaka. And this gave a very credible explanation of why Homura in the current timeline/world chose not to speak of any hidden truth about QB, because if she did so it would surely cause internecine fights among the mahou shoujo.

To see Homura making bombs manually was a shock though. How much time and effort (including effort to escape attention from authority) would be needed?

And don't forget the fan-service in this T&A-less anime in that sailor-suit witch :lol:

There are so many memorable scenes in this episode, but the one I love most is to use the OP as ending with a new twist of having all 5 of them together at the last cut. And as I mentioned earlier the lyrics of the OP were seen from Homura's point of view. Listen to this as ED gives a further emotional push to our tear gland.

And I would like to share with you the lyrics of Connect here :

kawashita yakusoku wasurenai yo
me wo tojitashikameru
oshiyoseta yami furiharatte susumu yo

I won’t forget the promise we made.
I close my eyes and ascertain it.
Shaking off the darkness that drew close to me, I continue forward.

itsu ni nattara nakushita mirai wo
watashi koko de mata miru koto dekiru no?

Will I one day be able find
the future I’ve lost?

afuredashita fuan no kage wo nando demo saite
kono sekai ayundekou

I’ll shatter the shadow of anxiety no matter how many times it takes,
I’ll continue to walk in this world.

tomedonaku kizamareta toki ha ima hajimaritsuge
kawaranai omoi wo nose
tozasareta tobira akeyou

Time that endlessly passed proclaims a new beginning,
I iron out my unchangeable feelings
and open the closed door.

mezameta kokoro ha hashiridashita mirai wo egaku tame
muzukashii michi de tachidomattemo
sora ha kireina aosa de itsumo mattetekureru
dakara kowakunai
mou nani ga attemo kujikenai

My awoken heart starts to race, in order to sketch the future.
Even if I’m stranded on a difficult road,
the sky will always be waiting for me with its beautiful blue color.
I don’t have anything to fear,
no matter what happens, I will not be defeated.

furikaereba nakama ga ite
ki ga tsukeba yasashiku tsutsumareteta

As I look back, I see my friends,
and before I realize it I’m tenderly surrounded by them.

nanimo kamo ga yuganda sekai de
yuiitsu shinjireru koko ga sukui datta

In a world where everything was distorted,
I believed in one thing…that there was salvation.

yorokobi mo kanashimi mo wakeaeba tsuyomaru omoi
kono koe ga todoku no nara
kitto kiseki ha okoseru darou

If we share our happiness and sadness, our emotions will grow stronger.
If my voice can reach you,
I’m sure a miracle will happen.

kawashita yakusoku wasurenai yo
me wo tojitashikameru
oshiyoseta yami furiharatte susumu yo
donna ni ookina kabe ga attemo
koetemiseru kara kitto
ashita shinjite inotte

I won’t forget the promise we made.
I close my eyes and ascertain it.
Shaking off the darkness that drew close to me, I continue forward.
No matter how big the wall is,
I’ll show you I can overcome it.
I believe in the future, I pray for the future.

kowareta sekai de samayotte watashi ha
hikiyoserareru youni tadoritsuita

I wandered within a broken world
and as if being drawn out of it, I finally made it.

mezameta kokoro ha hashiridashita mirai wo egaku tame
muzukashii michi de tachidomattemo
sora ha kireina aosa de itsumo mattetekureru
dakara kowakunai
mou nani ga attemo kujikenai

My awoken heart starts to race, in order to sketch out out the future.
Even if I’m stranded on a difficult road,
the sky will always be waiting for me with its beautiful blue color.
I don’t have anything to fear,
no matter what happens, I will not be defeated.

zutto ashita matte

I’ll always wait for the future.

:asuka_sad: :asuka_sad: :asuka_sad: :asuka_sad:
Last edited by symbv on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:55 am

Episode 10: THE ONE EPISODE TO RULE THEM ALL. Even I admit that Madoka is the show of the season now. Despite Fractale having a great episode this week (confirmed for a 10/10) Madoka blows all the competition away. Superb direction, superb writing, superb EVERYTHING.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Episode 10: THE ONE EPISODE TO RULE THEM ALL.

Truth be told son.

Seriously though, I haven't been that bugged out by an episode since...Eva to be honest.

These last episodes are going to be INSANE.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Do you guys really think an anime is a 10/10 even before you get an ending? :uhh:

I'm pretty skimpy with those myself but seems a bit odd I guess.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm

^ Assuming the ending isn't screwed up. Madoka has certainly done more than enough to become one of the most unforgettable series of all time. It's nearly impossible for SHAFT to fail in the last 2 episodes.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:What Shinbo and all the staff ask us to do is to re-watch Ep.1 and feel it all over again before we watch the last 2 episodes. I think it is a piece of advice that would prove very rewarding, and you have already found one insight in Ep.1 that became clearer after we saw Ep.10.

yeah, I'll probably do that.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:In fact some 2chan chaps claimed it must be one of the best 5 (or 3, whatever) anime in the last decade. Exaggeration perhaps but I do feel a strong emotional attachment to the characters and the animation which rarely came so strong with other anime.

Interesting question. Because I make lists either in all time mode or per decade I only have other 2011 titles to compare it against... but if I did try ranking Madoka along other 2000- titles I'm not sure if I'd rank it in top ten. Excluding AD (and HaC which I haven't yet seen) I don't think I'd yet rank Madoka over anything here which excludes many of my favourites and best shows from last ten years, most notably Haibane Renmei. Then from films we have Oshii's The Sky Crawlers and all... :chinscratch:

Madoka already has pretty good shot at my all time top 20 tv series though (definetly there in top 30) and is probably best SHAFT show ever made, so in any case it's major achievement.

"Best since eva" is hyperbole though.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Just look at all the fan-art done since the anime started airing... Have we ever seen so many creative works, from doujin to illustrations to iPhone cover to figurine to food and all the sundry items, for the girls (and qb, fine) ? Honestly I have never seen anything like this since Eva.

K-ON and definetly Haruhi comes to my mind. Macross Frontier, Gundam SEED and of course Rebuild of Eva as the king too, albeit I'm not sure how fair it is to account them on basis that they're parts of legendary mecha franchises and thus guaranteed to be popular...

View Original Postsymbv wrote:...congratulate Xard for his prediction -- HomuHomu in fact turned out to be Madoka's lover !! :lol: I do believe this is as far as you can push yuri in conventional mahou shoujo genre without resorting to hard yuri depicton or symbolism....

Well, I'm waiting on your opinion after episode has ended. While I'd LOVE to be right and more yuri in Madoka the better I can't say I got any impression of it going beyond deep friendship.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:And don't forget the fan-service in this T&A-less anime in that sailor-suit witch :lol:

That part nearly made me laugh out loud as the single moment hilarious moment in ep (no the golf bat part was not hilarious). Bombing the evil monster vajayjays, oh god :lol:

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Do you guys really think an anime is a 10/10 even before you get an ending? :uhh:

I usually have score/evaluation in my mind for shows I watch, mainly so I don't have to process it all by time I finish the title on MAL. For example out of recent shows Strike Witches is right now 7, Hourou Musuko 8 and Star Driver 9. Madoka was for a while really close to "10 limit", then dropped/became more firmly 9 and now jumped.

Of course it can come crashing down (like Occult Academy fumbled down from good start to shit) but I don't see that happening.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:15 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:K-ON and definetly Haruhi comes to my mind. Macross Frontier, Gundam SEED and of course Rebuild of Eva as the king too, albeit I'm not sure how fair it is to account them on basis that they're parts of legendary mecha franchises and thus guaranteed to be popular...

K-On and Haruhi were extremely popular but still I do not think the sheer intensity of fans' urge to create something anything everything to celebrate the characters (or to curse QB) is like those shown in PMMM....

View Original PostXard wrote: Well, I'm waiting on your opinion after episode has ended. While I'd LOVE to be right and more yuri in Madoka the better I can't say I got any impression of it going beyond deep friendship.

As I said, this is as far as it can go... Homu x Mado outdid every other mahou shoujo anime in churning the yuri undercurrent. If Nanoha x Fate could gave rise to such explosive yuri fan creation, what will happen to Homu x Mado ? Their relationship went so much deeper (and lasting so many more life times) than Nanoha and Fate... Just simply deep friendship would not push Homura to go as far and as selflessly single-minded as she had done -- my interpretation anyway (shared by more than a few in 2chan) :tongue:

And as expected every anime show tonight has been cancelled including PMMM broadcast in Tokyo... :crybaby: There is only a tweet in PMMM official website about the cancellation but no mention of re-broadast!!! :crybaby:
Last edited by symbv on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

Postby Noriko is my wife » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I like the observation that she used to be Hanekawa before she became Senjougahara.

I hope there's a happy end for her so she can go back to wearing those braids and glasses.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I usually have score/evaluation in my mind for shows I watch, mainly so I don't have to process it all by time I finish the title on MAL. For example out of recent shows Strike Witches is right now 7, Hourou Musuko 8 and Star Driver 9. Madoka was for a while really close to "10 limit", then dropped/became more firmly 9 and now jumped.

Of course it can come crashing down (like Occult Academy fumbled down from good start to shit) but I don't see that happening.

Well, I specifically meant a 10 because I think like almost everyone else I know what I'm gonna rate a series already several episodes before it ends (although there are exceptions, I'm looking at you Katanagatari), but a 10 is like absolutely the top of the top and perfect. Even a brilliant series could fuck up the ending and not deserve a perfect score :tongue:

Also, only thing I didn't like from ep 10 was that fucking QUALITY face girl showing up again. screw you guys, that isn't "Hidamari Sketch" style ;__;

Ugh, stupid army couldn't come at a worse time. I won't be watching episode 12 for a while because of it >.<

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Did anybody already figure out who that "future" madoka is/supposed to portray?

My personal interpretation is that "mature madoka" is a personification of her (pure) soul, giving madoka the power to save other people.
So in the end, it´ll always be the same with Madoka turning into a witch and Homura going back in time unless something important/otherwordly (QB´s race?) happens.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm

^ I think this is the biggest unresolved mystery we have so far and this should be relevant to Madoka's fate as of her becoming Mahou Shoujo and her destiny.... that said I really don't have a clue of what that image implies...

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Ugh, stupid army couldn't come at a worse time. I won't be watching episode 12 for a while because of it >.<

So we won't be hearing from you for some time from end of March? You could not bring a device like laptop or iPad to the army?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Anime and Manga”