What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:29 pm

^True, but it'll probably be forever until they release it.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 pm

wow. steins;gate must be my favorite series in a really long time. although the episode itself felt mehish/lacking, the credit sequence more than made up for it.
i want rebuild

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Ho ho ho, I think I've found where Anno ripped off Operation Yashima from.

Returning to this, before I forget it altogether. The mystery show in question is ARIEL, a four-episode OVA from 1989-1991. Jesus, the OVA boom era J.C. Staff sure shat out some strange things, like Takegami and Garzey's Wing. ARIEL is not as outright atrocious as those two, but boy is it strange. And by strange I don't mean it's full of bizarre ideas like The Enemy's the Pirates with its living cat computers and power armor baseball. ARIEL has a pretty standard plot with standard genre trappings: Earth is under attack by extremely budget-conscious aliens, and three girls must pilot a sexy female giant robot built by their crazy scientist grandfather to fight off their invasion. ARIEL is strange because it doesn't give a damn about telling a logical story with a beginning, midpoint and ending.

Instead of any kind of sane beginning, the show starts with one of the most brutal exposition dumps ever. Then there's three episodes of MOTW interspersed with the girls' personal issues. Even though the show tries to sell itself as a comedy, there aren't really that many jokes to be had here, and long stretches of story are played entirely straight. Then in the final episode things take a sudden turn to SUPER SCIENCE, and the operation Yashima stuff kicks in:

SPOILER: Show
The engines of the alien mothership give in due to lack of maintenance, and it begins to slowly fall, threatening to flatten Tokyo. In response, the grandfather devises a batshit insane plan to divert its course by turning the volcanoes on Izu islands into lava bukkake cannons. And when that doesn't quite work out, his plan B involves creating a spacetime-warping energy shield over Tokyo. This plan requires all of the electrical power of central Tokyo, and thus we're treated with a very familiar blackout scene. The shield strategy seems to work better at first, but then some shit happens and then the show ends with one of the most hilariously manly asspulls in the history of laughable non-endings.

In summary, the final episode of ARIEL is very reminiscent of Eva's episode 6, as they both focus on tense preparations before a suicidally desperate operation involving jury-rigged mega-hardware. Furthermore, both use a lot of on-screen text and brief location shots like this to illustrate the massive scale of the operation. Xard could probably describe these similarities better since he actually understands film theory and editing and whatnot.

By the way, I miss the days when J.C. Staff used to apologize to their audience. ;_;

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You need to see more, he's the most awesome guy in anime that has his name in the credits.

So, what's your favorite Go Nagai/Dynamic Pro manga? What would you recommend to a beginner? I think I've only read Devilman, Shin Getter Robo and some early chapters of Grendizer.

What is a Riki-Oh?

An outrageously gory martial arts manga about a super-dude who's sent to a dystopian prison controlled by heinous villains. The live-action version is probably more famous in the west. All 12 volumes of the manga have been scanlated, so check it out if you're interested. However, stay the hell away from the two OAVs, since they're cheaply produced and toned down like crazy.

As for The Evil, it's an amazing Swedish book about a young, abused troublemaker in a fascist boarding school for the rich. For some undecipherable reason the book has never been translated into English, but there's a passable film adaptation that has English subtitles.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 pm

So, what's your favorite Go Nagai/Dynamic Pro manga?

I have never read a single manga ever so I wouldn't know.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I remember thinking of Operation Yashima when watching the last ep of Ariel when they went on with lines like:

"It's enough power to supply the entire Kanto area."

"This will release all of that power in a single burst."

But all of the slapstick in the last episode made it hard for me to follow any other connections between the two, especially the ending.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:18 pm

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:Watched the last episode of Steins;Gate. It was somewhat weaker than the last two episodes which were more exciting, but only because it was more of a conclusion than anything else.

8.5/10

Well, we already knew what had to happen, so it was just a matter of watching it play out. Me, I was there for the post-credit sequence. It delivered, in spades.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Gurenn Lagann
I finally got around to watching some more gurren lagan. I watched episodes 2-8. I must say this is a very impressive series so far. The comedy is pretty good, the action is great. I have no complaints about this series save one.
I got very attached to kamida in the short 8 episodes he lived for. He was a great big brother character and very funny. I should of seen his death coming though there were hints in the episode everywhere 1st the episode title was later buddy and then he and yuko realized they liked each other and then kamida received the kiss of death. I’m pretty sad that he is dead I was holding out hope that he would live (I was really hoping they would do what macross frontier did and make it look like he died when he did not but oh well).
Aside from that one tiny complaint this is a great series and I am looking forward to watching more.

Macross Frontier
I watched episodes 19-22 and all I can say to sum up these episodes is that the shit has officially hit the fan. These were all great episodes but argh two times in the same day the same thing happened to me while watching two different series (see spoiler for details).
First today they kill off kamida in gurenn lagan then they freaking kill off Micheal (I should of seen this one coming too seeing as how he received a kiss of death from Klan) man Micheal was one of my favourite characters. But at least he died in a very dramatic way.
I should be finished macross frontier tomorrow so expect the review tomorrow. I am very excited to see how it all ends.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Steins;Gate wrapped up nicely. Love the show, keeping up on the BD release (#004 at the end of this month)! I hope the film is an original story off of this ending where they haven't reached Steins;Gate. That would be a good movie. They do still have the phone microwave, and as long as that's in existence there could be problems. I was pleased with the happy ending but I was left wanting more...

I recently finished a show called True Tears. Now I looked around at reviews and everyone said that it was just another dramatic rip off (of what I don't know). Anyways I read these reviews after the fact and I was shocked. This show moved me in ways that no other show has before. Now I haven't seen that many other anime dramas but this one made me cry like a little kid. Now it has a very special place in my heart. If anyone knows someone who has the Blu-ray of this show I would love to buy it from them. It was released it extremely limited quantities and I can't even find it on Yahoo Auctions. So if anyone has it would be much appreciated. Arigato!
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Watched Kamisama Dolls and Steins Gate.

KD was really good. Quite a few laughs to be had and they managed to set up a good deal of danger for next week. Should be good.

Pretty good ending to Steins Gate. Nothing real spectacular, but it hit all the right notes so I was satisfied.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

I watched the first two episodes of FLAG. I can already tell this series is going to be a slow one but I really don't have a problem with that. Sometimes a change of pace is nice.

Also watched up to episode 9 of Honey and Clover II. Things are getting serious (and it started off more or less serious) So far it's all going well.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Razeil100
Adam

Postby Razeil100 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostSpud wrote:I watched the first two episodes of FLAG. I can already tell this series is going to be a slow one but I really don't have a problem with that. Sometimes a change of pace is nice.

Also watched up to episode 9 of Honey and Clover II. Things are getting serious (and it started off more or less serious) So far it's all going well.
If you want more slow real robots, watch Gasaraki.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am

Finished Steins gate, this ties with madoka as my favorite series of the year so far. Penguindrum looks to be the only anime with the potential to surpass these two and become the years best anime, lets see if it can do it. i wonder what the steins gate movie will be about.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Finished Steins;Gate, and it was not as good as I'd initially expected it to be. It wasn't bad, though. Its strong first cour was offset by a weaker second cour that vamped up the grimdark, but in order to accomplish this & mash all of the right routes into the story, it did some really weird things to the pacing. Everything leading up to the memory-time-jump whatevermatron had spot-on pacing for an action thriller, and it was done so well that I'd forgotten that it was an adaptation of a VN. The segments of the second cour, however, basically undid all of that. It wasn't predictable, and it never lapsed into staleness, but wasn't as good, either. Much like in Shigurui, Hamasaki's direction exemplified solid (and at times, exemplary) form and great editing, but the structure of the story wasn't quite cohesive enough to be as mind-blowingly incredible like its form would suggest.

That aside, it was a very fun ride. If I get the chance, I'd like to rewatch it just to see if my complaints about its pacing in the second half were more due to the wait between episodes rather than the narrative itself. It ended on a high note--perhaps a saccharine one--but it managed to suit the story.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Finished Steins gate, this ties with madoka as my favorite series of the year so far. Penguindrum looks to be the only anime with the potential to surpass these two and become the years best anime, lets see if it can do it.
I think Penguindrum already surpassed both with its most recent episode. I really hope that the akashic records have a fabulous pink-locked shampoo commercial as a librarian.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 pm

View Original PostSpud wrote:Finialy got around to Eva Rebuild 2.22
Not exactly what I was expecting but still great. The angle redesigns worked better then I thought they would and they managed to make Asuka likeable. I wasn't exactly a fan of the original and never brought it up for fear of flame war :whistle:
Rei ... talked a lot more then I expected.

So, how accurate are my fills? :D

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Oh and I have one complaint about episode 17 you can’t make it seem like something is going to happen then just wimp out of it
for the whole episode I thought that Ranka’s adoptive older brother was going to die (the episode title was goodbye big brother for crying out loud) then boom he lives.
But besides that one little complaint they were all well handled episodes and were very good.

it's not called wimping out, it's called dedicating episode to trolling the fanbase and old school fans in particular. :lol:

Caught up with Dantalian and to my surprise eps 8 and 9 were rather to my liking. Sacred Seven episode 11 was great and the maid army is finally getting shit done in major way. Sunrise is going all out with action here and they can't stop Ruri-tied-to-table fetishism at all so it was very likeable second final episode :D

Still need to see Kamisama Dolls and Croisee. The final eps for the swason are at hand soon ;____;

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:So, how accurate are my fills? :D

Uh...huh. I envisioned literally the exact opposite.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:32 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Returning to this, before I forget it altogether. The mystery show in question is ARIEL, a four-episode OVA from 1989-1991.
For some reason I missed your post. Ariel was a great little flick, but I remember treating it more like 'cheaped-out Gunbuster on drugs meets Dirty Pair'. I rather liked the giant robot wearing the leotard.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Uh...huh. I envisioned literally the exact opposite.

I've got impression somewhere that Spud belonged to Rei legion so Rebuild "making her more likeable" didn't make much sense to me... and it's not like Asuka has ever had problems about being noisy so I'm not sure what would make the amount of stuff she says in film above the expected. Rei, on the other hand, is notably more talkative in Rebuild incarnation

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:56 am

I just finished macross frontier so here is my review

Plot/characters: Overall macross frontier had a really good plot. There were twist and turns that I never saw coming (although some of the decisions they made I did not particularly like, grrrrr episodes 17 and 20). There is quite a bit of political intrigue in this series which is all ways nice if handled properly (which it was). The love triangle in this show was well handled for the most part (maybe I’ll get some closure in the movies). Now moving on to my thoughts on characters: Altohime= badass pilot with daddy issues, Ranka= cute little sister type character, Sherly= megabitch in the beginning and great character development, Luca= kid who likes big boobs, Michael= badass sniper, Brera= fangirl’s dream, Leon= a mega douche with a master plan (there are way more characters but I won’t get in to them).

Animation: Over all this is a very good looking show. Normally I’m not a fan of c.g. mecha units but after the first three episodes I got used to them and enjoyed the look of them. The vajra also looked very good to me after the first few episodes, also on the note of the vajra they were a very interesting enemy (although the whole hive mind thing in regards to bug enemies is a little cliché). Majority of the mecha battles in this series were all quite good.

Sound: All characters are voiced very well save for one (good thing he was a bit character). The shows music is all pretty good (but if you hate j-pop it will definitely get on your nerves).

Judgement: Overall this was a great series that left me wanting more. The plot will surprise and maybe even shock you if you don’t spoil it. Also this show has some great character development and most characters get good development. So in conclusion this is a great mecha show which I highly recommend (but don’t watch if you hate j-pop as there is an insert song every episode some episodes even have three!). Oh and this show definitely has cheesy moments but that cheese is cheese that tastes good!!!!!!!!!

Score 9.5/10
Where to next?: I’m going to watch macross zero in the near future but I really would like to watch the frontier movies (so long as they are not god damn recap movies) so I’ll be searching the internet to find them.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 am

Where to next?

MERGE 1!

MERGE 2!

GO! AQUARIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for Genesis of Aquarion, it's the best anime ever! :cool: :sly:

Anyway, I watched the first episode of Madoka such and such......... I'm disturbed now. :scared:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Watched No 6, Blood-C, and Usagi Drop.

No 6 was a pretty bland final, not to mention rushed. It should have been at least two episodes long. Though I suppose it's blandness fits perfectly with the rest of the show.

Over all I'd say this show was a disappointment. Way to much feet dragging combined with a too short runtime really brought this show to it's knees. Just another victim of the current anime climate.

Blood-C was great in the beginning this week. With a cool fight against a interesting and disturbingly cute monster, however as soon as the monster was gone Saya went full moron again and remained that way until the end of the episode when some old friends came for a visit. It would appear the idiot ball is going to remain firmly glued to Saya's hand up until the very last second.

Usagi Drop had a great final episode. Very sentimental without being sappy. This show turned out to be one of the best I've seen in a long, long time. I can't think of a single thing wrong with, other then it being over. Kind of hoping for more.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Old Stickies”