Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GVman » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:50 pm

I wish Bandai or someone would release Ideon over here in all of its glory. Maybe all in one big DVD box set, with a limited edition version that comes with a red afro wig.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:08 am

That'd be wonderful. Just don't expect it to ever happen. ^_^ There's wishful thinking, then there's really wishful thinking. ;)
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 am

Ideon certainly wasn't obscure in Japan. Not necessarily "well known", but not obscure. As for America, I'm guessing it was only hardcore Tomino fans who were aware of it. It wasn't even subbed until a few years ago.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am

If Ideon only destroyed the Bff Clansmen asnd the humans, why it is held all over the internet as the ultimate universe destroying robot?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

GAP wrote:If Ideon only destroyed the Bff Clansmen asnd the humans, why it is held all over the internet as the ultimate universe destroying robot?

You might as well ask where did all those silly Evangelion misconceptions originate.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm

GAP wrote:why it is held all over the internet as the ultimate universe destroying robot?
Because its power is maximum?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:06 am

GAP wrote:If Ideon only destroyed the Bff Clansmen asnd the humans, why it is held all over the internet as the ultimate universe destroying robot?

Mostly because fanboys went out of control in versus threads discussing it at places like Animenation back before it was fansubbed and before they had even seen it. ^_^ That went so out of control that it became most well known for that, when 99% of the people saying that had never even seen it. Never underestimate the ability of fanboys going out of control on something they've never seen! :)

Although there is Gundam - Ideon crossover manga out there that does state that the universe was destroyed, so you never know... the ending of Be Invoked is rather ambigious although I'd lean on the side of it not being destroyed considering we see Saturn, with its rings that were partially destroyed in one of the latter episodes.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

I'm watching Ideon at last, with around 4 episodes and the movie left.

I'll be blunt -- I don't think this show has aged particularly well. The animation is bad, which would be okay if it managed to accomplish successful visual storytelling in spite, but it's hard to characterize what's on screen as much more than a mess. "What the hell is going on, and why?" The storyboarding and direction just seem fundamentally flawed. The dramatic pacing is all but nonexistent, in both the short- (establishing scenes, creating tension, etc.) and long-term (the show puts even less effort into a character relationship than Shinji/Kaworu -- despite at times having more episodes to work with! -- and then expects us to care when the Kaworu analogue dies). The episode format is mindnumbingly formulaic and monotonous, basically amounting to: Solo Ship people stand around and talk, Buff Clan people stand around and talk, then Buff Clan attack Solo Ship and Ideon (...again) for the rest of the episode. The dialogue and characterization are pretty terrible overall. Some of this is certainly an artifact of the very "raw" translation*; the show would play much better and more smoothly with a more natural-sounding script, though I doubt that would solve all of Ideon's woes.

With better direction, characterization, world-building, and pacing, this had the potential to be quite great. I wouldn't object to a remake. I've been told that Be Invoked is a "masterpiece", but we'll see.

* Note that I'm not dissing Quiddity et al.'s efforts in the slightest. In fact, I well remember when my translation skill set was similarly impeded by a tendency toward literalism and difficulty rephrasing idiomatic expressions to sound natural. One almost inevitably goes through it in the process of learning and improving. Though I do wonder why #shin-getter didn't have someone smooth over the translations for fluency -- was there no one to do it, or did they actually think the scripts were fine as is?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:21 pm

I watched the two films, and couldn't imagine sitting through the uncut series; but yes, Be Invoked was the more interesting part, though the animation remained... quaint... right to the end.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm

I watched the series and then the movies as they were being subbed, and quite enjoyed the "rinse, lather, repeat" formula, OTOH, I can't say that it has much rewatch appeal.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I watched the series and then the movies as they were being subbed, and quite enjoyed the "rinse, lather, repeat" formula

It probably works better with a break between episodes, but I'm doing five or so per sitting, so the monotony really sticks out. I think instead of doing the same thing every episode -- with mild variations -- the show would have been better served by having fewer skirmishes, of greater variety and higher stakes.

The Buff Clan are laughably video game-ish in their ability to throw endless streams of mecha -- which, of course, gradually transition into more difficult-to-defeat models like all proper mecha-mooks should -- at the ragtag band of heroes. The show feels like a shmup half the time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:55 pm

I watched the whole thing back in October-November, it was all worth it just to see Be Invoked. You can tell Anno took big inspiration from it for EoE. The series got repetitive but the movie is one of my fav Anime films now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:52 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The show feels like a shmup half the time.

LOL, sounds like I could like it a lot!

:D

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:16 pm

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:LOL, sounds like I could like it a lot!
If you've seen the first ten episodes or so of Gundam 0079, then it's on that sort of level all the way through.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:* Note that I'm not dissing Quiddity et al.'s efforts in the slightest. In fact, I well remember when my translation skill set was similarly impeded by a tendency toward literalism and difficulty rephrasing idiomatic expressions to sound natural. One almost inevitably goes through it in the process of learning and improving. Though I do wonder why #shin-getter didn't have someone smooth over the translations for fluency -- was there no one to do it, or did they actually think the scripts were fine as is?

Translation-wise, for the series, there was no one else to do it. I was all they had and that I was even able to do it in the first place was because I had all the scripts to the episodes. I went ahead with it knowing that there was literally no one else to do it and it wouldn't have been fansubbed otherwise. I can't recall anyone editing my scripts, which really should have been done, although its been so long (almost 10 years now I think?) that I could be forgetting things. I know the translation/scripts have gotten much criticism on the web over the years! :lol:

That said, for the movies we did have a second translator who went over things after I did and I think both translation-wise and fluency-wise they turned out a lot better.

As for your overall comments on the series (did you ever see the movies?), I think it being a product of its time really shows. The need to have a battle in every single episode makes it very formulaic at times, particularly in the first half of the series. Tomino's a great idea man, but I think his execution can be off at times and its a similar complaint one can have about many of his shows, in particular his 70's and 80's shows. I think by the 90's and after one could get away with non-action episodes like Eva and other shows were able to.

Nonetheless, I think things really pick up in the second half and the Be Invoked movie makes it all worth it.

Return to “Anime and Manga”