Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:37 pm

New series title idea: Madoka Magica: Angelic Days
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Seen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

View Original Postgorgeousshutin wrote:So happy for the PMMM fans for having a new series to look forward to.

Now, if the since resurrected Ikuhara could do something similar for the stunning, too-long-in-slumber Utena franchise . . .

The story ended for Utena. In a wonderful fashon. I wouldn't want it to come back, especially since Tomoko Kawakami's untimely death. I don't want anyone else voicing her.

The only thing I think it could use in the future is a Blu-Ray release.

As for a new Madoka show, why not do a series of OVAs to flesh out the characters and their backstories? I want to see Mami and Kyoko's past together animated.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 am

Trailer for the third movie (camera-rip)
http://youtu.be/e8L2jpGe-yk

Also news about the box office of the second movie over the opening week

While the first movie was ranked 7th in box office (and the only movie with <50 screens in the top 10 list), the second movie was ranked FIRST in box office this week ( http://www.kogyotsushin.com/archives/extra/ )

Over the last weekend, its box office was 172 million Yen with 43 screens. (the equivalent revenue for the first movie was 139 million Yen). It broke two records in Japanese cinema history
- The first movie from a midnight anime to take No.1 in the box office ranking
- The first movie with <50 screens to take No.1 in the box office ranking
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 am

That's pretty amazing. You mean it even beat K-ON?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am

Wow, I didn't know Madoka was that big in Japan.

Song of the movie opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO3dVtj7M1o

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:That's pretty amazing. You mean it even beat K-ON?

Finally, looks like we have a combo-breaker. :rofl:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:That's pretty amazing. You mean it even beat K-ON?

K-On was shown on 137 screens so it did not make it into the ranking of "box office of movie on 50 screens or less" (Madoka is being shown on 43 screens). And K-On never made it to No.1 in Box Office Chart.

For information, the box office for the opening weekend is as follows:

K-On (137 scr) 316 million Yen
Madoka I (43 scr) 139 million Yen
Madoka II (43 scr) 170 million Yen
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 pm

It's pretty interesting II outsold I - since when does that happen...maybe there is there number of people skipping on I because they presume there's no new content on it

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:It's pretty interesting II outsold I - since when does that happen...maybe there is there number of people skipping on I because they presume there's no new content on it

Because II has a lot more new scenes than I (even though all the animation are newly made for both I and II). Also II has the climax including the most popular episodes like ep.10 and ep.12.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Because II has a lot more new scenes than I (even though all the animation are newly made for both I and II). Also II has the climax including the most popular episodes like ep.10 and ep.12.

Well that explains it (I thought new stuff was only coming in third film). Usually sequels pretty much never - even if they're blockbusters - beat the earlier films in sales because usually those who go to see sequel have also seen the earlier film and of course some people who saw the first film didn't like it all that much which means they don't go to see second etc.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Usually sequels pretty much never - even if they're blockbusters - beat the earlier films in sales because usually those who go to see sequel have also seen the earlier film and of course some people who saw the first film didn't like it all that much which means they don't go to see second etc.

True, but for a movie that is a re-enactment of the TV series (though with newly made animation and sound tracks) it is possible that a later film can beat an earlier film if fans know already that their favorite part is coming in a later film.

But of course the new scenes are also an important factor too.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Well, I browsed around Yaraon when I came across this, like almost crashing into a tree:

話題の“社会現象アニメ”『まどか☆マギカ』とAKB48の共通点www
http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw404987

WTF? And then ran the translator over and the article at Nico said that Madoka has become a cultural/social phenomenon in a very short time, as much as Eva before, and yeah... AKB. :lol:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:04 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Well, I browsed around Yaraon when I came across this, like almost crashing into a tree:

WTF? And then ran the translator over and the article at Nico said that Madoka has become a cultural/social phenomenon in a very short time, as much as Eva before, and yeah... AKB. :lol:

The most important thing to know about from that article is the claim that Akimoto, the producer of AKB48, is equivalent to QB in Madoka :-)
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Arkanis
Embryo

Postby Arkanis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Another explanation could be that people who watched Madoka I in the second week were positively surprised (or hooked again) and watched Madoka II in the first week.

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Well, I browsed around Yaraon when I came across this, like almost crashing into a tree:

I dont get the whole post
I need to check AKB

but yeah Evangelion is the third impact of animation (all time)
madoka is just the fourth

Who will be the fifth ? (rebuild ? lol)

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Well, this show was really cool. It had a lot of great things, some of which however weren't used too well. Well for stuff I liked :

Art: Character designs are cute and cool, kyuubey looks great (I love the alien cat look of him), and the witches look amazing and are probably my favorite designs in this show. The backgrounds look splendid as well, especially the witch domain/world areas. Everything was so colorful and unique, I loved it.

Music: Great, I like Kajura's singing so this was a big plus for me. Kalafina's Magia being the ED was great. The ost sounded mystic and tense in the action/MS/witch scenes.

Story: Now, I liked the story although there are a few things I had problems with.
First the pros: -Sympathetic characters, I felt invested in their story for the most part however I only liked Mami, Kyouko, and Kyuubey (I'll get to my thoughts bout the rest after). I liked the dark twist on the story, mostly as when I think of the magical girl genre I think of an overbearingly super happy, bright atmosphere. However even though I liked the darker tone, well i'll get to that in cons. Kyuubey was great,
SPOILER: Show
I loved his coldness, detached personality as it contrasted greatly with the emotional cast.

The story took the turns I expected, however that does not mean bad as I think it just means that things happened in logical succession. The atmosphere of MM is pretty good, the character design contrasts between the magical girls/humans and the witches really set it in, along with the human world and witch's domains.
Cons: The story is dark, and I like it to an extent but it became nearly overbearing, in a way that also felt forced which actually made me wince a few times. I really couldn't bring myself to like Madoka or Sayaka, because I found Madoka pretty boring ( I like my eccentricities, some may call Mami boring but i found her to be more interesting than Madoka because of her presence early on as how distant she was until Madoka made the promise). I did like Madoka though in late spoilers
the other timelines, as she's almost like a completely different person where she has that confident bearing that the Madoka we all know well just doesn't have.

Sayaka, is a mix bag for me,
I did feel some sympathy for her but she just kept screwing up, which may mean that I actually like her more than I imagine that I do since i'm invested enough into her character to get angry at her when she's screwing herself over.

I'm pretty indifferent towards Homura, I don't really like or dislike her she's just kinda there. I can see why people would be drawn to her surely but I myself am just not a fan of her.
The ending question, something that was bugging me
Why didn't Madoka wish for the Universe to have an ulimited supply of "energy" so there would be no need for MS and no witches as the by-products thus saving all MS around the world and the future? I know she wouldn't be able to help those in the past but still tehy're gone and she's only saving so many more people and creating a perfect universe energy wise. Also she would be able to nullify her contract with her wish and live her life as a normal girl. She had the power to change the universe with her wish in the show so I don't see why this is possible.

Ah yes, two more things, 1 for Kyouko
her characterization was inconsistent, as were her motives when she confided to Sayaka and then before her death. Also how she's presented initially clashes a bit too much with how she is later on although one could say it's because of her relationship with Sayaka I just find it too much of a stretch and felt it was almost if not a rewriting of her character.
and finally 2, LOL Entropy.
I liked the show, it had its problems but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Despite its overbearing grittiness it had some warmth to it and some charm to it by its whole presentation.

The End~

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 pm

View Original PostJune wrote: I like Kajura's singing so this was a big plus for me.

I was going to comment on this last time you said this but now I can't help myself anymore :lol:

Kajiura does NOT sing personally in any of her projects (as far as I know). She works with consistent-but-somewhat-revolving-vocalist-combos like Kalafina and FictionJunction.

She's the mastermind, composer, arranger, producer etc. behind all the material but unlike certain other luminary she doesn't moonlight under a psedonym as a singer :P

Also as above indicates you're loving singing of number of people because Kalafina eg. is typically three member vocal group. I think they're actually pretty easy to recognize after listening them for a while.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Ohhhh Damnnn, I feel like a dumb dumb. Lol, I thought she did sing in her projects, like in Xenosaga 3's OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPWTEtuv74
but looks like I was wrong D:
Thanks Xard for setting me straight, I was almost gonna live spreading this misinformation for the rest my life :O

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Ohhhh Damnnn, I feel like a dumb dumb. Lol, I thought she did sing in her projects, like in Xenosaga 3's OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPWTEtuv74
but looks like I was wrong D:
Thanks Xard for setting me straight, I was almost gonna live spreading this misinformation for the rest my life :O

Here's good example of "Kajiura project" in music video form because you actually get couple of cuts of Kajiura in it (playing the keyboard) as well as the individual girls doing their lines. You can also see Kajiura does no singing in here.

Of course since I've not gone through all credits of all stuff Kajiura has done I can't say for sure she has never ever sung but as a rule she uses carefully chosen set of vocalists to record her material - and said vocalists tend to also form the core members of her two "bands" (Kalafina & FJ)

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Hm, well I guess I played the fool. At least I can say I like her compositions.
While we are on the Madoka thread though, dos anyone know when the third film is going to be released? I'm guessing Spring.

Also if anyone knows when the Steins;Gate movie is coming out i'd be happy to know.

Return to “Anime and Manga”