Puella Magi Madoka Magika [2]

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Not a great pic from Otona Anime, but you can more or less make out a few of their top rankings for the year. Madoka is both #1 and has the cover.

So we finally got pics of a karoake room in the new Madoka cafe:
More spoilered here:
SPOILER: Show

Mobage iphone game came out with new holiday themed cards. I particularly liked Homura's.

PSP game has new character pages. Some reason, Kyouko was the only girl who had to share a page with extras...I wonder if that means her role is smaller in the game? This pic is just a smaller sized sample, the full sized ones of all the girls are here: http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_Portable#Characters_and_Seiyuu

The upcoming Madoka exhibit redid its page. Looks a bit empty now but like it's planned for expanding the content. I think some of the merchandising items might be new, since I last looked anyways. http://www.mpsinc.co.jp/madoka-magica-event/goods/index.html

And now:
Other random selection of fig play, cosplay and a Mami gif:

Edited to add: A video of a news report of the Madoka cafe in Taiwan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WW6nT4sPuI

Animerican_Redeemed
Embryo

Postby Animerican_Redeemed » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, it looks like all the Madoka-related news is over and done with on the Crunchy Roll feed! With their Nico Nico-like text-overlay, I tried to bring up some questions about the kind of paper/casing the LE boxset is coming in, but no real luck, as it was pretty much expected. (Though they did say that a couple operators were watching the text feed, so who knows-- maybe it popped out to one of them, and it'll inspire such-and-such-and-such.... eh, still very unlikely. Pooh.)

There didn't seem to be much in the way of really "veteran" talent-- at least, not talent that most people will be able to readily recognize. I can't even remember the names of the people that they announced for Kyouko and Mami. (Ah, wait, never mind-- they've been uploaded to ANN already: Lauren Landa for Kyouko and Carrie Keranen for Mami.) The only one that I'm familiar with-- and it's only because it's one that I've actually heard tossed around as suggestions for Madoka-- is the one that'll be playing Homura-- Cristina Vee! Her past credits include the dub roles of Nanoha herself, Mio of K-ON, and Nagisa of Ika Musume, and Noel of the BlazBlue game series, if you want to know or be reminded. The contest for the Cabanos-signed Madoka poster was also detailed, which involves putting some specific sort of message on Aniplex USA's facebook wall as well as who you want to be receiving the prize. Might enter, might not.... I have until Sunday to do it.

The most compelling bit of news out of this was probably the announcement of a new dub trailer! It was posted onto the main Madoka Magica USA website as the show was going on, into a vimeo video player. (It should be hitting youtube soon, if it hasn't already.) Save for the small & short inclusion of Kyoko, it seemed to be pretty much the exact same as the first Japanese-language trailer that Aniplex USA put out, with the matching bits of dialogue and everything.

Admittedly, I think it's something that you'll only be more acceptant of, or at least be more ready to "evaluate," after seeing the trailer a few times over. The first time I saw it, I think there was some combination of anxiety, slight cringing and just being weirded out... man, it really is hard to separate the original seiyuu from the characters, isn't it? (Never having followed an un-dubbed anime so passionately or for so long before, it was a new experience for me.) Upon playing back through some of the audio, and thinking of the context of the scenes in which the trailer's dialogue is said (not to mention how talk-time is allotted for the characters that aren't Madoka herself)... there is still a lot of potential to be found here, and it is definitely too early to make any major judgments. For example, Sayaka's voice might sound a bit grating in the trailer, but thinking about the context of the scene that she says her dialogue, and thinking back to how the original seiyuu sounded as she playfully talked about making Madoka her wife, it's probably much more appropriate than not.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 am

Thought of something else about the weight of the weapons Homura used:

FN-Minimi M249 LMG: 10kg loaded
Saab Bofors AT-4 anti-tank: 6.7kg
Howa Type-89: 3.5kg
Bazalt RPG-7 anti-tank: 7kg
L16 81mm Mortar: 35kg (!)

Personally, the Minimi is very heavy to carry (and moreso if with a M60 or M240), and it would be hard for a girl much less than half my body weight and about two inches shorter than me.

Must be her magic allowing to lift objects heavier than her normal body weight. But then some of the musical instruments that the members of HTT (of K-On!) are just as heavy as a loaded Stinger MANPADS missile.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:16 am

Madoka wing zero custom :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:26 am

Madoka trailer on vimeo where it doesn't seem to be region locked

http://vimeo.com/33740013

I can safely say that I shan't be listening to the American dub
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 am

View Original PostVeers wrote:Interesting... I can't wait to see/hear the whole "official" script!

GG's original script:
"What are you going to do, Kyoko?"
"What do you think?
Let me put it easily.
All I need to do is defeat her...
Right?"

In my edited subtitles I had the line as:
"What are you going to do, Kyoko?"
"What do you think?
All I gotta do...
...is beat the hell out of her...
right?"

Which I think works great as a dub line. I like it as a dub line, where capturing the spirit and meaning is more important than mapping literal word-to-word translation.

The line is (going off my hearing, not official script)
「要するに、ぶっつぶすちゃいばいいんでしょ?  その子。」
Literally something like:
"In short, if I beat (her) up it would be good, right? That girl."

So, no, their translation is not a literal translation, but it's an appropriate one that matches the animation and pauses in the original line.

I like the GG one best to be honest (although I would use "crush" myself). If they deem it has to become "Simple. I'll just put her dumb, rookie-ass out of commission. Permanently." to get the feel that the spirit is captured, then I would say that it seems to further my own bias that people often talk too roughly and harshly in American cartoons and comics - perhaps the readers/watchers expect that too?

Really I don't think I could really approve it. And I suspect none of the production staff has an inkling of what the dub is compared to the originals. And even if they are told what they mean, I am sure they will just be reassured that the new line is "better oriented towards the American audience" and they know they are in no position to judge that statement. Besides, it may actually be right. Since I am not one of the intended audience I guess it is also better for me not to judge it either.

By the way, Takotsuboya is at it again. This time his sight is on Sayaka...
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5977.html (NSFW obviously)
The discussion in 2ch is mainly about the teaser that seems to suggest that the doujin will be something light-hearted hentai which is quite the opposite of what Takotsuboya is famous for....
To be released in the coming Comiket at the end of this month...

The link above also shows some reactions from 2ch about the English dub voice samples found in http://madokamagicausa.com/ Nobody commented on the quality of translation (which is not surprising) but all commented how similar the English voices of Sayaka, Kyubey, and Mami sounded like the Japanese originals.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby User-iel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Comparing the four different renditions of the dialogue, (Thank you, Veers) it seems to be not so much "matching with the rough quality of American English" as it would be "not understanding the author's intent." It would not be the first project to suffer from this. The more basic issue, also seen in film adaptation screenwriting, is commercial lack of humility. More often than not, a published author creates what the people following him cannot: a story people favor above others. Why would people without ability or proof declare themselves superior, and censor the author? In this case, Kyouko's speech is edging into gangster territory. But originally, she was more warrior-like, in a medieval sense, with only a bit of Yankee flavor, and there is definitely no 'gang set' in her past.

Will they get their minds clear? Or will they embrace dubfail?

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: dubs, my cats have managed to eat through the cord of yet another headset. I heard it but I feel I should listen to it again properly with headphones. I don't think I'm a fair person to judge things however, since I have pretty good relative pitch and I'm very sensitive to things like inflections and word choices. Then again, I've been through the Sailor Moon experience where making major alterations of episode, dialogue, characterization and plotlines were status quo...so I've learned to shrug things off for the most part.

Here's why I'm I don't have too much confidence though in either the knowledge or research being done by the production staff involved. Why you might ask? Very simple thing, getting names right...you'd think.

Here's what happened in the live announcement to announce the VAs...the one they spent days promoting. Homura's now related to Mami! But seriously, the only Madoka-related information they were releasing in that entire announcement were three main character names, and they managed to get one of those wrong. I could understand possibly a minor character, but...Homura?

And it's still aokiume in the trailer. At this point, they won't change it...even though:
1) Madoka's Japan's BD and DVD booklet, handily prints in English:
2) Searching on the English version of Amazon.com.

Well, that's all I have to say on this subject until I hear the dubs again with a headset.

So onto a bit of news and then I'm out for the evening. This is the sample cover for the limited edition of the Key Animation Note Vol. 1, the follow-up to the Production Note, that's going to be sold at Comiket 81. Unlike the PN bulky 500 pages, The Key Animation note will only be 128 pages. A4 paper, in full cover. The general sale cover will be done by animation director Junichiro Taniguchi, but the contents will be the same, focusing on the OP. The bonus that comes with it (doesn't specify if it's limited edition only) listed is 3D postcards. I updated this info on the Production Note page of the wiki. Shaft link: http://www.shaft-web.co.jp/comiket81.html

Edited to add: If you were ever curious about how the western fanbase works with Madoka, here's another example of it here with symbv's recent translations. It's something I've observed. I don't get involved with doujins but it fascinates me how the fanbase, particularly the yuri fans, are so quick to turn around edits much like what we saw with the anthology. So someone posted the doujin with symbv's translations on danbooru. Some others made tweaks and changes. And finally, someone else then edited it.

Spoilered for length. I think it's fair to say people are paying attention to your translations, symbv, and they seem to care even if we never see a comment about it in this thread.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Randomanon on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animerican_Redeemed
Embryo

Postby Animerican_Redeemed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:36 am

@Randomanon: Oh, I didn't catch that stupid Mami Tomoe and Homura Tomoe flub... hah! Hopefully-- or, even most likely-- that was the fault of whoever did the Crunchyroll typesetting, someone who probably hasn't followed Madoka or was in a deadline rush or something. Doubt something so exceedingly egregious will happen with naming conventions of characters in the dub or subtitles.

I did catch the "aokiume" thing too, upon seeing the trailer my 4th time or something like that. Yeah, that's quite the bummer. I know that you've addressed Aniplex USA/Madoka Magica USA on facebook about it.... well, I doubt this'll have much of a different effect, but maybe you could email Aniplex USA? The public email address is [email protected] , and it wouldn't hurt. Maybe you can even provide the image you've shown as "evidence" just how silly this all is. There is also the possibility of contacting Hideki Goto, the current head of Aniplex of America, about the issue. According to one poster in the Aniplex Solicitations thread that veers referred to(?), back on ANN, you can get a more "prompt reply" out of him, but so far I think his only email address is on LinkedIn, and I don't want to upgrade to a $25/month membership just to see it.... so, I'll try to send the poster a message and see if he could provide the email.

@symbv, concerning the Japanese reactions to dub: Hah, that's kinda funny; I think there are a lot of tonal similarities between the voices as well (though it's definitely not the easiest thing to listen to all the same, considering how we've known the original seiyuu as the characters for all of the past year). Have a few translations you'd care to provide on some of the comments regarding the reaction to the dub?

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 am

Thanks for the info, A_R. I emailed my request. I posted pics of a half dozen Madoka purchases with examples of Ume Aoki credit attributions to let them know it's from a fan who buys things.

But in a practical assessment, I don't think they'll change it now that they probably spent money publishing posters and other things, but it was worth a shot. I can say I tried. It's not the first time I've made a request for fixing an error but you know, it's always an uphill battle for fans. It's pretty rare to see something change.

On dubs: As I mentioned, I am a terrible person to assess dubs. This is why I have stayed with subs, because I greatly prefer Japanese seiyuu who are extremely talented and schooled in their profession. I'm also personally biased towards female Asian voices because of how I grew up.

So I'll focus on the positive:
1) I think it's really great that they kept the names the same, so we don't have "Puella Magi Mary Magica."
2) I've also heard much worse dubs. I think it's too early to assess either the quality of the voice or dialogue changes at this point. Keep in mind sometimes the dialogue is changed less for accuracy and more to fit with the mouth movements of the characters.
3) I like the voice actor for Madoka's father.

I also think the seiyuu for Madoka were exceptional and extremely well cast, so they're a difficult act to follow. I've always been impressed by Chiwa Saito and Homura was I'd say the best performance I've seen from her. I thought Emiri Katou's Kyubey was really amazing, also another best performance. Kaori Mizuhashi and KitaEri were spot-on as Mami and Sayaka. And I was definitely one of those who bought into Ai Nonaka's Kyouko, her voice having the power to soften the dialogue and making her character more charming.

Some really great Madoka figures of all kinds at a recent festival. Here's a few examples. More in this gallery here - http://imgur.com/a/3U0CT#0 and by sifting through this set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlbox/sets/72157628465912553/.

ImageImage

Bonus. Not as creative as the Sayaka ones, but this one is in color:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:49 am

I don't know if the Go-qualia (Japanese electronica band) album Puella Magi has been mentioned already...

http://vimeo.com/33401864
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Some new info on the movies from Cut's interview with Shinbo.
ImageImageImage

More pics of figs here in this gallery http://imgur.com/a/FmEcr#0. Here's a few samples:

ImageImageImage

Animerican_Redeemed
Embryo

Postby Animerican_Redeemed » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 pm

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Thanks for the info, A_R. I emailed my request. I posted pics of a half dozen Madoka purchases with examples of Ume Aoki credit attributions to let them know it's from a fan who buys things.

But in a practical assessment, I don't think they'll change it now that they probably spent money publishing posters and other things, but it was worth a shot. I can say I tried. It's not the first time I've made a request for fixing an error but you know, it's always an uphill battle for fans. It's pretty rare to see something change.

Huh... well, Aniplex just shot that done effectively. Here's what Madoka Magica USA's facebook page said. They definitely won't do it any other way besides "aokiume," now...

"There has been some questions regarding the correct spelling of the Character Designer for Madoka Magica. To Clarify, the Confirmed English Spelling from Japan is "aokiume". Again this was confirmed from Japan from the character designer herself."

Another poster said that it's apparently this way with Aoki Ume's homepage as well. So... eh. :shrug: It's something that I'm fine with accepting, but I know you might feel differently.... Well, on the bright side, the aforementioned poster just "added a redirect on Wikipedia to Aoki Ume for 'aokiume' and a notice that her name is romanized as such," so people will have lesser difficulty identifying her in at least some corners of the internet.

Randomanon wrote:On dubs: As I mentioned, I am a terrible person to assess dubs. This is why I have stayed with subs, because I greatly prefer Japanese seiyuu who are extremely talented and schooled in their profession. I'm also personally biased towards female Asian voices because of how I grew up.

So I'll focus on the positive:
1) I think it's really great that they kept the names the same, so we don't have "Puella Magi Mary Magica."

.... Oh, wow. Did the Sailor Moon localization really scar you that much, enough so that you thought there was a real possibility that any of the names would be changed around? Come now, no one outside of 4kids and DiC does name changes like that anymore, not unless they're wanting to retrofit a series for the purposes of more American-styled comedy (like Funimation's dub of Shin-Chan). :hahaha: Or is this more of a sardonic back-handed complement of yours?

Randomanon wrote:2) I've also heard much worse dubs. I think it's too early to assess either the quality of the voice or dialogue changes at this point. Keep in mind sometimes the dialogue is changed less for accuracy and more to fit with the mouth movements of the characters.

Yeah, it's definitely too early to give any real assessments to the dub. Among other reasons, there are only about 80 seconds of a trailer to go by, there might not have been any sound mixing or post-recording effects applied to the voices yet, and the anime footage that's present in the trailer really doesn't cover the more dramatic territory the series is known for, the sort that could really give the actors the chance to shine.

I'm sure it'll, at the very least, all be fine in the end. The studio recording the dub is BangZoom! Entertainment, which has produced several dubs that I've really enjoyed, and in general has among the best track-records in the industry. It also helps, in my opinion anyway, that the voice director for Madoka Magica had also headed up the direction of the dub for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya and the newer dub of 5 Cm Per Second.

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 am

Tri4 update! The audio commentary scripts for ep 8 and 9 are up. Script ass files here - http://tri4.net/subs/scripts/madomagi/commentary/
The videos here - http://tri4.net/subs/scripts/madomagi/commentary/tempraw/

You either download those videos or use your own BD version episodes. Then select the audio commentary .ass file and change both your audio and sub tracks to view and hear it. Google for your video player and .ass file should tell you how to do it.

If you ever wanted those bonus extras, I believe these are available for international export with the Madoka Magica manga. http://www.mangaoh.co.jp/topic/topic_group.php?i_id=333. A fan pic of it (minus the nendroids):

Here's an ongoing 4koma parodies series translated: http://danbooru.donmai.us/pool/show/2988

Also, fan edit of the translated Witch/Stay Night (doujin) cards here - http://imgur.com/a/PNj4I#0. Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?n9f8scfn7bcqf4k
Sample:

@AR, I'm actually pleased with this outcome, it's better than I expected. The main thing is that the people in charge of the English release are in fact in communication with Japan's Magica Quartet and that Aniplex USA responded to fans in a timely basis. Both of those facts are much more important than the outcome itself. I can't say I'm surprised either on the decision because of Ume Aoki's character--she's very easy going and probably amused anyone even cares about how her name's spelled. I bet if they said "we're going with 'Ume Aoki', is this fine," she'd have said yes to that too. I don't think Ume Aoki minds either that her fans brought it up. She's such a nice person I'm sure she knows we do because we care. Oh and her page and twitter does indeed have aokiume. But, you know it's pretty common to see people use nicknames for things like that. Eri Kitamura uses Kitaeri for her twitter, her StarChild artist page directs to "kitaeri," and she and others often uses that nickname too. Urobuchi is the notorious "Butch Gen." Up until now, Ume Aoki has used aokiume only for her Apricot+ doujins and either 蒼樹うめ or Ume Aoki for everything else. In address to or about her, it's Ume or Aoki with either sensei or san honorifics.

Re: the dubs. Yes, most of what I write you can take completely at face value but as you sensed, there was a bit of "damned with faint praise" coming through on the issue of dubs because for the reasons I explained previously, I am not the biggest fan of dubs. Certainly you could say much of that is due to when I use to listen to dubs for my favorite anime like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Gundam, etc. they all underwent significant changes including name changes. But in this case, it had nothing to do with that and more a nod to in-joking among mahou shoujo fans where dubbed name changes is not a thing of the past. Pretty Cure in particular in notorious for "Natalie" and "Hannah" instead of "Nagisa" and "Honoka." And that was done by Toei directly (not 4kids, they dropped the ball on licensing) in 2009. It was only a cable broadcast too, not network where the change might be more understandable. Supposedly this will continue in the future, with reports that the Yes! season will also have name changes for their dubs.

On the other hand (note: even though this may seem contradictory to other things I've posted, I'm not being sarcastic here), even if I'm not the biggest personal fan of it, I completely support dubs. I believe accessibility is really important and bringing more fans into anime is a good thing. My view comes from being a fan who loves anime and would like others to have the opportunity to see it and perhaps discover the same love for themselves. I do not think anime (in general or the ones I like specifically) is for everyone, or even a majority, but it can be a worthwhile experience for that minority who do discover and love it. Even if they're introduced to it as some "hacked" job of it, it's better in my opinion than not being introduced to it all. The fans who really love it will go out and look for more, and in the process, discover the original sources and come to like it even more. This is what I went through personally with anime, and why I'm "nitpicky" on authenticity but also completely embracing ways of making new fans. This I believe benefits all fans in a practical sense as well, by increasing funding. Anime is not a terribly lucrative industry, and I'm sure many good ideas have never come into fruition, or not properly so, because of lack of financial support. Luckily for Madoka Magica fans, that won't be an issue (at least in Japan).

I see dubs is a necessary part of making an anime accessible. I would also say if there had to be changes like that of names or some censorship of scenes like Mami's death, it would totally, 100%, be worth it, if it got Madoka Magica a network broadcast spot or A-list voice actors like you see for major blockbusters from Studio Ghibli. Of course that's not the case and it's being treated as a typical seinen license. But I have thought for some time now that Madoka had cross-over "blockbuster" potential and if anyone actually treated that way in licensing, it could do very well. I say that as someone who took a younger cousin to the Harry Potter movies which had darkness, deaths (might I point out, a much higher body count than Madoka) and many enraptured children (as well as adults) in the audience. Well maybe if the anime does well in sales and gets good ratings in a cable airing, perhaps if the movies do well, there might be a shot there someday in the future? Who's to say. For me personally, it would be a wonderful thing to be able to take my little cousin to a packed audience viewing of a "Madoka Magica" movie and if she loved it, be able to introduce her to more and answer her questions. It's something of a fantasy of mine because my experience growing up was no one I was close to knew anything about anime and most people looked down on it.

By the way, that's my response to people who think recap-type movies is a waste of time: 1) it can bring in more money and interest to support the funding of sequels 2) it makes the work more accessible to a wider audience. A lot more people are willing to sit down for a 2hr movie than watch 12 episodes.

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby User-iel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Randomanon - I like your reasoning, as that is an experience I've had. There was an occasion this summer, during which I was able to introduce someone to NME 1.11. This was after they balked at investing some time with the series, so for some people it is very much a question of format.

In regards to the continuing issue of dub quality, maybe the problem is only one of marginalization to begin with. Perhaps there shouldn't be 'Anime' distributors or 'Japanese entertainment' license holders at all. That time was over, at least 25 years ago. If the largest players in entertainment simply had each a department for the localization and sales of imported content, there might be very few instances of runaway attitude and low quality casting / editing. If I'm seeing it right, what currently happens is driven by the 'small world', or ghetto geometry that has evolved. Open that up, and the same sorts of localization quality should be available on any occasion, not only if one is fortunate enough to work at Studio Ghibli.

Thanks so much for flagging the Audio Commentary again, it's not just fun, it goes along with the thrust of your idea. It is a middle-level approach to making fandom open to people sooner and on good terms. Very worthwhile.

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:56 pm

First, the big news. Mami's witch form of "Candeloro" was revealed in the PSP game - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... n-new-role

Scans:
ImageImageImage

@Useriel, it seems that licensing right now from Japan to other countries is a very ad hoc and inconsistent process. There are many ways it can be improved but probably the lack of financial incentive is one of the biggest reason why it doesn't seem to be taken that seriously.

I had a chance to look over the commentaries. There were a few interesting things.
Ep. 8
- Chief Animation Director, Taniguchi talked a little about his work which is making sure the anime is consistent throughout. He said there were around 10 people responsible for creating the designs and animation and 1-2 on corrections. He said for facial expressions, Hitomi was the most difficult (something about eyelashes) and interestingly, Homura was the easiest, "a cool character has a lot of outside influence in regards to how to draw facial expressions." I interpreted as it was easy to figure out because the circumstances were clear on when and why Homura would show an expression and what kind of expression. They also had fun drawing "cool" facial expressions like "gloomy" eyes, her hair was an "intense drawing." Kyouko was easy as a straight-forward character, with a direct connections between her feelings and facial expressions.
- Chiwa Saito in explained that the "Incubator" was incorporated with the design on his back, which represents the egg. And of course, that's the hatch that "processes" used up grief seeds

Ep. 9
- Emiri Kato talked through the process and really, it seemed she was completely hoodwinked on her role as Kyubey. First, they told her she had this cute mascot character. Early on, she even saw Kyubey with his mouth opening and closing, and said her lines matching up to this. For the broadcast though, they got rid of that so Kyubey didn't move his mouth...and didn't warn her ahead of time! They also tell her what Kyubey would really be like and she discovered as she was reading lines for ep. 3 that something was...quite different!
-It seems the seiyuu were very knowledgeable and fascinated with Kyubey. Aoi Yuki would use it for her emails, "Make a contract with me and go shopping!" She went on a "QB tour" in Akihabara which immediately Chiwa Saito and Emiri Kato jumped on and said "why didn't you invite me??"
-All of them said there was great interest not only by fans, but even many within the industry, where many people would come up and talk to them and ask them questions about Madoka Magica.

Bonus:

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

Postby classified-zerogoki » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 pm

For some reason, I like dub!Sayaka's voice.
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I don't know if the Go-qualia (Japanese electronica band) album Puella Magi has been mentioned already...

http://vimeo.com/33401864

However, there's also a track from Submerse some months ago (and I still have it).

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 am

So the Secret Project is revealed http://mm.my-gg.com/. And symbv was right, it's a game! We made a page on it: http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_Online

It's regionally restricted, some places can't access it. But if you can, it's browser-based, no download, only requires Active-X, supports 3 major browsers, and free for basic play though objects require purchase. You create a character and can add up to five characters or join with others in multi-playing, to go after witches. There's an event to go after Walpurgis.

Translation:
In a separate time axis
from the one where Madoka became an extra-dimensional entity.
There, five magical girls still fought against the witches.

They still try to defeat every witch and familiar of this world,
as well as Walpurgisnacht.
Yes, in this time axis,
In order to defeat the witches, the five have become one.

Despair and prayer.
Reality and parallel reality.
Trust and betrayal.
A moment and an eternity.

Your will, and the determination of the five magical girls
will become one
in order to fulfill the wishes of all time.

In this time axis' world, will Mami be saved?
Will it end without Madoka's disappearance?

Come forth, with the world-saving wish in your heart,
Embark on a journey, hand in hand with the five magical girls.

If you can't see access the page, the gallery on the wiki has all the screenshots of the pages.
ANN has a write-up: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-12-21/madoka-magica-online-browser-game-set-for-next-spring

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby User-iel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Are there early reviews of the game's content? Perhaps the most relevant issue, is this focused on 'level grinding' of some sort, is mostly narrative, or concerns itself with the strategy and combat genres?

Wouldn't the most faithful gameplay come from an unprecedented 30 to 50 relationship and emotional player stats, all updated by game events? One slip of the tongue during class might take away just a few too many points, and when the time comes to console your teammate during battle, that needed dialogue item - isn't available. Or your aim with a magical power is a little more random. Basically, wouldn't it be best if Kyubey was a part of the design team?

Return to “Anime and Manga”