Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Animerican_Redeemed
Embryo

Postby Animerican_Redeemed » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 am

@Randomanon:

*Cue the delayed reaction to the awesome Production Note Scans that you put up*
SPOILER: Show

When I first saw the link some days ago, and checked it out, you really, really, REALLY made me happy. I really liked seeing the Elsa Maria and Isabel designs in all their close-up glory, and even a re-scanned Oktavia picture! Admittedly, I'm slightly disappointed by the official art of Walpurgisnacht, probably one of my most favorite designed witches.... specifically this image and that image. I guess that's all in terms of "colored" scans for her, huh? Kinda wish that there was more of an emphasis on the witch design herself, and maybe not even more black-and-whiteness than the Walpurgisnacht fight was in the show.

Really, though, that doesn't make me feel any less than the emotion conveyed in the spoiler-tagged image (couldn't find a smaller version of that, btw). I was actually thinking of asking Veers about scanning in a few more images in via private-messaging, having already requested a close-up of Oktavia, but I never got around to it... and I guess I don't need to! Gotta wonder, though... how did you take pictures of the images? With the quality of some of the scans, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up disassembling the binding altogether!

And speaking of Veers... it's great to see you aboard! I was actually thinking of how I hadn't seen you actually post yet on the thread/board yet some days ago, and was thinking it was something you decided against on or something.

So... you say you've been reading some of the past few pages of the thread, huh? I guess there's no reason to introduce the Kyouko figma to you, right?

I remember in past conversations how you've said that the pieces of merchandise for Madoka really haven't appealed to you or aren't the kinds of things you'd like to have, but it seemed like you'd really want a Kyouko figure if it was cool or something. Later, when I saw Randomanon post this back on page 72, I thought about you, and was thinking of using it to segue into the body of my next ANN message towards you (which hasn't come to fruition quite yet...)... or at the very least, send you a shorter "Quick heads-up"-styled message like I did for the Production Book when that went up for Pre-order. So, is that Kyouko figma up your alley preference-and-buying-wise?

~~~~~~~

Ah, I'm looking forward to the end of the week. Not only will finals be over with, but the rest of the Madoka cast will be announced this Friday... or at least, the rest of the main cast of girls. We should be getting announcements on the roles of the rest of the named cast, right? Like Kyosuke & Hitomi? Madoka's mom and dad? (A voice tells me inside that those latter two ought to go to Wendee Lee and Vic Mignogna/Johnny Yong Bosch, respectively, and another voice tells me "But those choices are so boring") Was thinking of being the one to post this news-worthy item when i first saw it, but.... eh, was beaten again.

Alright, so it won't feel right if I don't end this post without adding something new-ish. So, here's a video I saw several days ago-- a little fan-animation-- that pretty much sums up the entire series through Madoka and other characters rolling themselves down a hill. It's fairly repetitive in terms of animation-- you might want to skip through little segments of it until the next character(s) show up-- and some vocaloid song plays in the background, but I still found it kinda cute, even somewhat endearing, and a little sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJdGrNngH3k&context=C22028ADOEgsToPDskKz3oUOCkwQoHYthpoeBoqq

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 am

Kyoko is out now!
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5915.html#more

...and oh, lot of great kitbashing ideas again with AGE. :lol:

Veers
Embryo

Postby Veers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:16 am

Animerican_Redeemed wrote:So... you say you've been reading some of the past few pages of the thread, huh? I guess there's no reason to introduce the Kyouko figma to you, right? [...] So, is that Kyouko figma up your alley preference-and-buying-wise?
Actually, not really... :( I'm not much of a fan of figmas or nendos; I prefer scaled posed sculpts without joints (and with their clothes on). That's what I'm waiting for.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm

First off very misleading Madoka trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTHwEZK2JA
Now time for:

Madoka’s adventure episode 3: Evil thy name is L.O.V.E.M.U.F.F.I.N.

While walking home from shopping Madoka felt an ominous presence behind her
M: All right who is there?

DM:huh you noticed me grr.... well I might as well introduce myself I am Dynoman and I am here to rid this town of your cuteness.

M: So I take it your some part of some evil organization...... So what’s your organization’s name?

DM: Well we used to have a much stupider name but I contracted with Kyubey to change the name, now our name is League Of Villainous Evildoers Maniacally United For Frightening Investments in Naughtiness
M: mmmmhhh hahahahahahahahahahaha your organizations name is love muffin hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

DM: hey stop laughing I’m here to kill you and it is a great name too! So just shut up and prepare to...
M: Madokaaaaaaaaaaaaa kiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Narrator: ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE CRITICAL HIT!!!!!!!!!!!
DM: owww that hurt that’s it, it is time to use the magic powers kyubey gave me I will become a witch.
DM: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhghghgh (and some other random monster nosies)

M: now that’s just offensive to my show this is more offensive then some of the fan art I’ve seen! I’m going to take you out with the new thing I bought at the store!

M: NOW prepare to be defeated by a random gundam reference!
Well that’s one member of (she starts to laugh) love muffin hahahahahahahahah. I won’t let love muffin have its way I’ll stop them!

Narrator: can Madoka stop love muffin, what challenges lie in store for madoka and will the plot actually start to make sense. Tune in next time!
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:First off very misleading Madoka trailer
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
:(
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

^
Hmm well that sucks sorry you can’t see it basically the trailer made it seem like Madoka was a super happy fun times anime and only used footage from the first two episodes and lol whut madoka is 13 I thought she was younger
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

OK, let me at least reply to the most recent posts......

soul.assassin wrote:Kyoko is out now!
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5915.html#more

The significance of this is that ALL the 5 girls from PMMM have their nendroid now. 2ch is getting very excited at the possibilities that are now open for scene creation...

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Kyubey's catch phrase coming in third on internet buzzwords was on a list shown on cable TV:

The gold prize "popopopon" was made (in)famous by its non-stopping use in TV commercial time in the weeks after the Mar11 earthquake. Not sure why but it seems either the sponsor pulled out or there was some kind of censorship to avoid commercials in almost continuous news updates. It got really annoying after a few days.
http://youtu.be/Bsk2ioK0Lrg
^ imagine you have to listen to this same vid hundreds of times every day for weeks... It is good to call for good manner in speech but I just cannot figure why on earth did they not think of broadcasting some other public awareness CM.... It is truly "Clockwork Orange" style of brainwashing.....

The second prize is the nickname for the national women soccer team of Japan which amazingly won this year's Women's World Cup. The 4th prize is a song. The 5th prize is "Operation Yashima", taken from Evangelion, which was picked up by the internet population to name the region-wide campaign to cut electricity usage after the shutdown of the nuclear reactors in the aftermath of the Mar11 tsunami. The 6th prize is the equivalent of "Like" button in Facebook for the social network sites in Japan. The 9th prize, "Buhiru", was explained by me earlier -- as the pig-like call made by the moe-pig (moe-fag in western slang).

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:This pervert Homura comic doujiin was posted on pixiv in Engrish. It's actually more amusing because of it: http://disp.cc/b/295-2ItZ.

This is deadly hilarious stuff. And in the disp.cc website I found a couple more yuri PMMM doujin :) They are in Chinese but I guess I can pick one or two for translation here....

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:A couple really great figma comic strips. The detail on Homura's room is particularly impressive. Even the doujin covers are images from the real ones!

These two are really cool. The top one recreated the scene near the end of Ep.12 pretty well. And the lower one is again lethally hilarious!!! :lol:

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:So I finally completed the scans and re-organized the galleries for the PN and Art Book:
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Production_Note
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi ... a_Art_Book
There were a couple translations updated and two added (the first two at the top of the page).

In the translation of the Production Note I found this:

Upper Right:
Streaming out of the gate
With such a brief scene in the main series,
how were they going to emerge...?
Did it still turn out well, though?
[TN note: really unsure about this part, assistance would be appreciated if possible]

The original Japanese is
門からぞろぞろ出てくる
本編登場シーン短いので
出ようとしているとこで・・・
くらいでもいいかも

My translation would be:
Since the scene where they appeared in the main part is brief
make them just about to come out...
or something like that may be good

Have not checked all the other translation. But will report if I find anything I'd like to comment.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/feature/201112news also shows an annual anime list with Madoka as #1.

It was a vote organized by Biglobe, a portal site, for the biggest anime news in 2011.
The list is:
1. Madoka mega-hit
2. Tiger & Bunny also a hit
3. Tomoko Kawakami, a seiyuu who appeared in Keroro Gunso and Utena, passed away
4. Nana Mizuki had a 2-day live concert in Tokyo Dome
5. Many collaboration projects with anime from convenience stores and family restaurants
6. Miku Hatsune took the stage overseas
7. A satellite crashed into the Radio Kaikan building (a reference to a stunt antic, inspired by Steins;Gate, done just before the shutdown of the old Radio Kaikan building)
8. Anime-related smartphone applications got popular
9. Many acclaimed anime movies this year, including one from Studio Ghibli
10. Anime pilgrimage is still popular. There is now a trend for local towns to tie up with an anime, which uses the local town and countryside as its background (e.g. Hana Iroha, Tamayura)

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:So I have some updates on Urobuchi's book here - http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi ... ning_Story

The feedback on it is fairly positive. It includes contents from multiple drafts, not only the preliminary draft 0. There's some new storyboards that accompany it that we haven't seen before from any other source. There's also an interview of Urobuchi expressing his thought about various scenarios. So the content looks to be interesting.

I see the pictures were taken from the Akiblog site ( http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51309711.html ) Perhaps you may also want to add the color pages as well (you can find them in the Akiblog site).

There is also some brief blogger reviews quoted in the Akiblog site about "The Beginning Story":

『全13話のシナリオページがメインですが、キャラの台詞とともに、演出部分も描かれていますのである意味、ノベルとしても楽しめる内容となってますね。本を読みながら、アニメを見ると・・・破壊力が違いますわ』
Although the main part is the scenario pages of 13 episodes, but since there are also description of the animation part as well as characters' dialogues, the contents can be enjoyed just like reading a novel. If I read this book while watching the anime... the impact will be of a different league.

『今まで物凄い勢いで駆け抜けていった「魔法少女まどか☆マギカ」という作品をより深く感じられる1冊となっています。アニメで自分が思ったこととは違う真意も見えたりしますのでファンの方にはオススメしたい1冊ですね』
This is a book that can get you to feel even more deeply about this work "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" which has come charging with such an enormous momentum. Since it shows the real intentions that may be different from what I thought from watching the anime, this is a book I recommend to fans of the anime.

『シナリオ決定稿から初出の0稿、インタビューなんかも含めて、これはシナリオ版のプロダクションノートと言ってもいいと思います。プロダクションノートを買った人、買ってない人もまどか☆マギカファンなら絶対に買うべき。読んだら納得しますよ!』
From the final draft of the scenario to the very first draft 0, and even the interviews as well, I think this can be called the Production Notes for the scenario. Regardless of whether you have bought the Production Note, as long as you are a PMMM fan you should absolutely buy it. You will know why once you read it!

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Today's bonus: Themed gifs.

Have to quote them because AnSaya yuriyuri is so :heart:
The people who made it will be some good animator if they are not one already.

To further celebrate this AnSaya yuriyuri let me post and translate from http://disp.cc/b/295-2ItZ#295-2Kx0
It is a clever twist based on the Sayaka "My Wife" hugging of Madoka. I think it is a very sweet yuri episode. :) And Madoka is so nice....
Sayaka - I am leaving now...
Kyouko - OK
K - .....
K ** Come to think of it, I wonder how Syaka is like in school.
I really want to know...

K ** What am I doing...
This just made me look like a stalker...
K ** Perhaps I should go...
Um?
S - Madoka will have to be my wife!
Madoka - Argh! :-)
K ** !?
K ** What is that? That Sayaka!!
She never did that to me once..!
[after school]

M - Kyouko-chan!?
K - Yo!
May I borrow you time a bit?
K - Does Sayaka often do to you...
what she did this morning?
M - What she did this morning?
K - T..That you know..! "To be my wife" or something...!
M - Oh.
M - That is a kind of "skinship" I think..
M - I don't think Sayaka-chan does it to everyone....
K - And Sayaka has never..
done that to me...

M - Hee Hee
K - W..Why are you laughing!
M - Kyouko-chan, do you know Kamijou-san?
K - Ah.. sure..
I think he was the one Sayaka loved?
M - Sayaka-chan was totally a "lady" in front of Kamijou-san...
She would never do some practical jokes there like suddenly hugging someone..
K - ?
What do you mean?
M - Hmm.. to put it simply..
M - that's because Sayaka-chan loves Kyouko-chan
so she could not play jokes on you..
K - (spurting tea out)

S - You are back. You went out for something?
K - Yeah, kind of.
K ** (remembering Madoka saying) Perhaps you can try some skinship with Sayaka-chan?
K - Sayaka, you will have to be my wife!!
S - Woah!?
S - What...what...what...what..what..happened to you.. out of the blue..
K - .....
K - What a face she shows...
S - ? ?

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Image
Maybe because of this?
(Madoka+Gundam madness)

More like the other way round. Once the meme of Madoka+Gundam caught on, one store (rumored to be SoftMap) took advantage of this and started to sell Madoka figure and Age Gundam model as a bundled set. Rumor has it that the Gundam Age models are very overstocked so any chance to get rid of them would be much appreciated by the retailers.

BTW this fan creation (taken from your post) is pretty cool. The nickname of the Madoka+Gundam hybrid is MadoTasu (shorthand for Madoka Titus) or Madotus. It even has 魔法戦士 a clear hybrid of Mahou Shoujo 魔法少女 and Kido Senshi 機動戦士 !!

Randomanon wrote:Thanks for the Chiwa Saito interview, symbv. I made a page for it on the wiki and added some pics from AFA11 that I've posted before in this thread. http://wiki.puella-magi.net/AFA11_Interview_Chiwa_Saito

One thing that surprised me is that Chiwa Saito speaks English. I guess this means if you ever write fan letter to her, you can just write it in English :)

Randomanon wrote:Madoka's OP and ED songs made the top 10 list for the year (12/27/2010 thru 12/12/2011). ClariS at #2 and Magia at #8. And if you're wondering about #1, 3 and #4, well that's because it's Nana Mizuki (水樹奈々), "Fate" from Nanoha, who has mainstream fame as a singer.

2011年 アニメ・ゲーム・特撮関連 年間シングルランキング(※一般歌手のタイアップを除く)(2010/12/27付~2011/12/12付迄)

*1 *87,209 SCARLET KNIGHT 水樹奈々
*2 *82,826 コネクト ClariS
*3 *73,609 POP MASTER 水樹奈々
*4 *72,746 純潔パラドックス 水樹奈々
*5 *54,722 マジLOVE1000% ST☆RISH
*6 *54,446 oath sign LiSA
*7 *48,994 secret base 君がくれたもの 本間芽衣子(茅野愛衣),安城鳴子(戸松遥),鶴見知利子(早見沙織)
*8 *48,403 Magia Kalafina
*9 *48,330 READY!! 765PRO ALLSTARS
10 *36,372 My Dearest supercell

To link the CD single with the anime:
1. Dog Days OP
2. Madoka OP
3. Mobile game "idol wo tsukuro" theme song
4. Blood-C ED
5. Uta-no-Prince-sama main theme song
6. Fate/Zero OP
7. Ano Hana ED
8. Madoka ED
9. Idol@Master OP
10. Guilty Crown OP
Last edited by symbv on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

^
Yeah, I kind of figured that they wanted to clear out those AGE gunpla as quickly as possible since the anime kind of bombed(And the titus just got one episode, no surprises there)

I totally missed that Mahou Senshi Madoka Titus part though

:lol:

Veers
Embryo

Postby Veers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Interesting comments about Gen's book. I'd have bought a copy if I knew enough Japanese to read it...

Also:
The original Japanese is
門からぞろぞろ出てくる
本編登場シーン短いので
出ようとしているとこで・・・
くらいでもいいかも

My translation would be:
Since the scene where they appeared in the main part is brief
make them just about to come out...
or something like that may be good
Sounds better to me. That's how I read "くらいでもいいかも"

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Bloody freaking Omaha.
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/105 ... ca-mami_mo (NSFW ads)

But this? DAYUM.
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/105 ... r-beret-bl

------------
What do we have today?

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5927.html
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5926.html

And from AS:

http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/festival/2011/ ... _press.pdf

:clap:

------------
How appropriate: Fannypack's "Hey Mami" fit just right for her. For laughs. :rofl:
Last edited by soul.assassin on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:26 am

Starting coverage on Madoka's animation award win for the Japan Media Arts Festival win (http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Japan_Media_Arts_Festival_2011).
The reason for the win:

symbv, I added your review translation to the wiki. I also looked through Urobuchi's "The Beginning Story," which I just got today, and made some scans. http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_The_Beginning_Story#Gallery
They include:
- The "hidden" cover which shows Madoka clearly. I tried to scan the cover to show Madoka, but I couldn't capture her properly no matter what setting I used. This is one case where a camera is superior to a scanner...at least the regular one I have.
- Note the first and last pages in Urobuchi book. Such appropriate choice for Urobuchi.
- As noted previously, the character pages are identical to the July NewType except there's a new one for Kyubey, and the ones for Madoka and Homura (who are the front and back anchor to the section) have new text.
- I scanned all the pages with storyboards. Some never seen before. They looked interesting
- I also scanned the 24 pgs of Urobuchi interview.
- I included the TOC as well, in case there's something interesting someone sees...I don't plan on scanning the whole thing which is 290 pages. Interestingly, the book was delayed a few weeks and previously it was suppose to be around 240something. So they added 50 pages...my guess is maybe the character pages and the interview perhaps?

And a little note on the diversity of visitors in the western fanbase. We had a Ukranian visitor recently who gave us Russian lyrics to Kyouko and Sayaka's duet "And I'm Home" - http://wiki.puella-magi.net/And_I%27m_Home#Lyrics

Continuing the mecha theme, now we have animated gifs:

Edited to add:
@AR, I'm glad you like the Production Note coverage. The books are approx 500 pages. I really don't want to scan all of that, much less post it all on the wiki. So my focus was scanning pages that I thought would be interesting for translation and then updating pages that were previously scanned, and adding a few pages that I thought were interesting. The majority of the "eyecandy" pages, I didn't scan. That's something to be enjoyed by someone who purchases it. Even so, there's still somewhere in the neighborhood of 200+ scans on the wiki that's in the Production Note (some are repeated in the Artbook or Guidebook, so I didn't bother to make another scan...if you add everything, it'd be closer to 300.

CalicoCat
Lilith

Postby CalicoCat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 am

More Pervy Homu Figma play:

Do not throw souls!

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 pm

The first is, as Randomanaon said, PMMM winning the anime section of the Japan Media Arts Award this year (more below)

The second is the report that the NewType magazine this month featuring Ultimate Madoka and ribbon Homura is sold out in many places. There is also the update that the next NewType (2012 Feb - to be published on Jan 10 2012) will have two PMMM plastic files attached as well.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Starting coverage on Madoka's animation award win for the Japan Media Arts Festival win (http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Japan_Media_Arts_Festival_2011).

This is a pretty significant win and seems more appropriate than the SF award. Many important anime have won this award since it started in 1997: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Medi ... ion_awards
Examples include 1997's Princess Mononoke, 2001's Spirited Away and the Millennium Actress, 2006's the Girl who Leapt through Time and 2009's Summer War
As the comments from the judges said, it is also only the second TV anime series to win this award, after last year's Tatami Galaxy.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:The reason for the win:

I think the judges really stated most of the key points why PMMM should win - at the end it is how it observed and asked questions about desire, miracles, terror/fear, and emotion that spoke to the human heart. And it also highlights the fact that it is an original and how groundbreaking for the genre it is in -- even though I know many here are particularly sensitive to the word "deconstruction" but saying that the anime "skillfully [set] critical traps that shook the very foundations of the genre, leaving viewers unsure about the premises upon which tihs otherwise common theme of the 'magical girl' is based" and "revolutionary energy that always strives to change things" is really close to saying much the same thing (or in my word "redefining" and "reinterpreting" the Mahou Shoujo genre). It also, perhaps unsurprisingly, stated that the award is also about hoping it can serve as a positive force for the anime industry (a "catalyst").

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:symbv, I added your review translation to the wiki. I also looked through Urobuchi's "The Beginning Story," which I just got today, and made some scans. http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_The_Beginning_Story#Gallery

Thanks!! I have a few comments regarding the scans in the wiki...

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:- I also scanned the 24 pgs of Urobuchi interview.

Actually it is an interview to both Shinbo and Urobuchi, since both of them gave answers for most questions (the TOC also said the same).
And it seems the interview has more than 24 pages? The first scan http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:The_Be ... I_0001.jpg is p.264 and it looks the interview is already in the middle. TOC put the start of interview at p.261.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:- I included the TOC as well, in case there's something interesting someone sees...

The pic http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:The_Be ... ry_TOC.jpg seems to be uploaded upside down...

Besides the final draft of all the 12 episodes, there are also p.173 zero draft and its observations; p.223 From scenario to storyboard; p.229 regarding Mahou Shoujo; and p.261 Shinbo and Urobuchi interview.

You want some PMMM curtains? Seems official merchandise and it carries a few varieties including design using individual character. For details check: http://www.curtain-damashii.com/madoka/

now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks, symbv for those corrections. I updated with the first missing pages of the interview and updated with Shinbo. It was scanned, I had forgotten to link the first page. P. 261 by the way is only the section title, and the interview starts on 262. The TOC, I fixed as well. I have a funny story about that because I was doing a presentation today for work and found in the middle of it, one of my graph slides was upside down. Now I think I know how that happened! It's a little embarrassing but kind of expected when someone works on a presentation at the same time as scanning something (and eating, petting a cat, visiting different sites and emailing). Fortunately, my boss is an understanding guy and he thinks little lapses like upside down graphs are funny.

So far I have not posted anything on the final draft or zero draft and observations which is the first 200+ pages of the book. I have posted all the p. 223 scenario and storyboard, the few pages that weren't in NewType on p. 229 Mahou shoujo characters and all the p. 261 interview pages. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to look through it. Soon as I got the book and had a minute, I starting scanning. I thought I should before I lost motivation and it ended up happening many weeks later...like with the Production Note.

I've been adding new info on the Japan Media Arts Festival Madoka award win, bit by bit. http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Japan_Media_Arts_Festival_2011 There's links to various newspapers and other media write-ups. The most interesting I think is the JMA video here - http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19152776. The Madoka part starts at 58 mins. There's a compilation of different scenes from Madoka, then Iwakami stands up to speak after that.

Here's ANN's write-up on the GSC cafe opening in Tawain - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-12-15/good-smile-cafe-to-open-branch-in-taiwan-on-sunday

On Amazon's annual list for general manga, I was surprised to see all three volumes of hanokage's Madoka Magica manga (the one that retells the anime) placed in 8, 10, and 13. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_pack_3/?docId=3077107166&ie=UTF8&plgroup

Here's a relationship chart that you see on 2ch from time to time that got translated here - http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/1055166/. It's very funny.

More mecha:

Bonus: This dizzying Sayaka gif. It's a bit hypnotic.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:46 am

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Here's ANN's write-up on the GSC cafe opening in Tawain - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-12-15/good-smile-cafe-to-open-branch-in-taiwan-on-sunday

Finally we know its location - K-mall is right in front of Taipei train station. That would be convenient.

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Here's a relationship chart that you see on 2ch from time to time that got translated here - http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/1055166/. It's very funny.

That is some interesting take on the relationships, particularly on the shipping territory (Mado/Homu/Mami triangle has its popularity but not quite the mainstream, and there is no AnSaya shipping!). And is it Accelerator (of Index) next to Hitomi. Does it mean Seiko Yoshida (Hitomi) and Nobuhiko Okamoto (Accelerator) are a RL couple?

View Original PostRandomanon wrote:Bonus: This dizzying Sayaka gif. It's a bit hypnotic.

Again I can only say how I keep being pleasantly shocked and impressed by the craftsmen among the Sayaka fans (who I would think also did those animated gif's of AnSaya yuri...)
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Randomanon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Randomanon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 am

Yes, it's the same person who does the Sayaka gifs. Not to make too many generalizations, but I've noticed on 2ch there's at least a few fervent and creatively talented Sayaka fans (and of course, Shinbo!). Mami has the most fans and probably gets the most solo hand-drawn work. Kyouko gets the most fanfic type of stories (and seiyuu love, as we've learned...I guess it's that shounen hero thing). There is probably more art of Madoka that gets posted than any other girl on the main Madoka thread (though her character thread is quite stagnant) and Homura has the most diversity in pics and opinions...as to be expected of a girl who can be anything from meek and moe to ultra perverted by the fanbase.

Speaking of 2ch, here's some info on the thread count.

You can see even after the anime ended, Madoka threads are quite a bit busier than K-ON, which is the 2nd most active anime. To give some perspective, after Madoka, the highest thread count of an anime in the history of 2ch was Haruhi during the airing of the first season at 464 threads (14 eps., April-July 2006). Over three months, that's an avg. ~155 threads/month. And yet, if you look at Madoka, even at only the post-airing period, the thread average is higher than that. As for your typical airing anime...well, they're wayy behind that.

Original source data in spoiler:
けいおん&マギカ (マギカ増加数)
(各月1日0時スレ数)
 3月 2009・ 455
 4月 2159・ 836   381
 5月 2288・1157   321
 6月 2451・1342   185
 7月 2540・1496   154
 8月 2635・1654   158
 9月 2712・1824   170
10月 2792・2015   191
11月 2875・2174   159
12月 2998・2338   164

@symbv Re: the pic, if you see the comments, that's a version from February 12, 2011, although I have seen various flavors of it float around even up to now. That's why the KyouSaya isn't there like you might expect. And I think it's a Kamijou Kamijou joke rather than a VA one. You see crossovers with Toumu and Madoka on the "Kamijou" thing like this one http://danbooru.donmai.us/pool/show/4686. Typical doujin, he shows up and fixes everything, because he's overpowered etc.

Ah, I saw this doujin on the girls overindulging on New Years festivities got posted with translations too! http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/1054466/ Another amusing one, including if you read the first comment posted.

Animerican_Redeemed
Embryo

Postby Animerican_Redeemed » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 am

Randomanon already posted about bit of the initial announcement regarding how Aniplex will announce the rest of the dub cast via Crunchyroll, at 5:30 P.M. PST... well, it seems that there'll be a little more than that.

According to the facebook page, there'll also be "an exclusive interview with [Maodka's voice actress Christine Marie Cabanos] and Director Alex Von David, and a Giveaway of [an] Autographed Madoka Magica poster." And about 9 hours ago from this time of writing, there's apparently "going to be one more treat for you Madoka fans tomorrow." Wonder what it'll be... a dub clip, maybe? I'd think that could easily backfire on them, though, but I wouldn't mind, personally.... if not a dub clip, though, what else? Well... thanks to the concerns ushered in through some ANN board members, I'm (needlessly?) worried that the Madoka LE set will come in uber-flimsy packaging, so it's be awesome if they took a question like that over the stream. If I'm not mistaken, Crunchy Roll is kinda like Nico Nico in that the text responses of viewers may crawl across the screen, so that might be a decent venue to bring such concerns.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/live

Well, I don't know when these changes were made, but it looks like the character descriptions on the official Madoka Magica USA page-- or at least, the quotes of some of the characters-- have been changed. I assume that they're from the new dub script? They definitely sound more natural than the original place-holder quotes, spoken aloud in English:

Sayaka's quotation was properly adjusted for the context... instead of saying something about doing something to "him" (it was a line that I believe had to do a discussion about Homura over a meal in the second or third episode), now it's "If she steps outta line or tries anything funny, I'll punch her lights out!"

I think Kyouko's altered quoted line the most interesting (maybe the best? maybe the worst?), and is something that I actually look forward to seeing spoken in the dub script (if that's where we'll be hearing it). Originally, it was something along the lines of "So all we have to do is to crush it, then, right?", but now it's "Simple. I'll just put her dumb, rookie-ass out of commission. Permanently." :hahaha: Thinking myself as a good fan of the character, I don't mind it; it adds some real liveliness and personality to the English script (though I probably will be more concerned if this is how the line will be translated in the subtitles for the Japanese voice-overs....). But maybe some of you take more issue with it than I do? About the same as I do? Why, would it even be a "good" subtitle translation for the Japanese audio?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 am

^
^ That doujin one page manga is SUPER-GOOD !!! And very timely given the coming new year celebration time! And the translation is very well done.

I did not read the comments.. so it was done back in Feb? Wonder if there is any update after the series ended....
So it is taking on another level of non-majority shipping of BL Kamijou and Accelerator in Index and inserting it into the PMMM relations chart... Hmm.... Not sure it works for me...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Dirty Mick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 am

Mami, put your milkshakes away. :wife:

Veers
Embryo

Postby Veers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Interesting... I can't wait to see/hear the whole "official" script!
I think Kyouko's altered quoted line the most interesting (maybe the best? maybe the worst?), and is something that I actually look forward to seeing spoken in the dub script (if that's where we'll be hearing it). Originally, it was something along the lines of "So all we have to do is to crush it, then, right?"

GG's original script:
"What are you going to do, Kyoko?"
"What do you think?
Let me put it easily.
All I need to do is defeat her...
Right?"

In my edited subtitles I had the line as:
"What are you going to do, Kyoko?"
"What do you think?
All I gotta do...
...is beat the hell out of her...
right?"

but now it's "Simple. I'll just put her dumb, rookie-ass out of commission. Permanently."
Which I think works great as a dub line. I like it as a dub line, where capturing the spirit and meaning is more important than mapping literal word-to-word translation.

I don't mind it; it adds some real liveliness and personality to the English script (though I probably will be more concerned if this is how the line will be translated in the subtitles for the Japanese voice-overs....). But maybe some of you take more issue with it than I do? About the same as I do? Why, would it even be a "good" subtitle translation for the Japanese audio?
The line is (going off my hearing, not official script)
「要するに、ぶっつぶすちゃいばいいんでしょ?  その子。」
Literally something like:
"In short, if I beat (her) up it would be good, right? That girl."

So, no, their translation is not a literal translation, but it's an appropriate one that matches the animation and pauses in the original line.

When listening to the Japanese, especially for someone like me who isn't fluent but can understand enough to pick out certain words, conjugations, and character-specific speech mannerisms, a more literal subtitle is fine because as I'm watching I'm also absorbing the other half of it (the audio) at the same time and use the subtitles sorta like training wheels. In an English dub, though, you need to convey everything through only the audio, which is why changes like this are expected and often for the better.

And hey if someone doesn't like it, no one stopping them from re-authoring their own subtitles with whatever wording desired.

Return to “Anime and Manga”