Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

フワフワリン
フワフワル~

Bakemonogatari`s fourth OP is so goddamn catchy.

I also watched a lot of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
I love it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:If it's completely subbed, then chances are it's available on BakaBT, and their pirate economy keeps it seeded.

That place is definitely a good place to find seeded torrents, but it's pretty new (site started mid 2009). What I referred to re:Conan is that it's relatively more difficult finding older titles over the years than it is newer and more popular titles. A year and a half of having a seeded torrent for a show doesn't mean it's going to get recognized as a classic. But it's a start.

Compared to 7 or so years ago when I found a copy of Future Boy Conan online, the only torrent I could find had 2 seeds, took over a week to download, and I only bothered looking for it because it was mentioned offhand somewhere. The show wasn't really talked about all that much if at all.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is fantastic. Second season Zoku and Goku OVA were my favourites overall.

I somehow managed to miss Merri finishing Conan, lolwtf :w00t:

Yeah, it is enviable how brilliant Miyasaki was from the start. Conan is propably my favourite of his male leads too, Porco excluded. It's fun to see certain motifs in Miyazaki's works that have repeated themselves since the start.

The climax was damn awesome :)

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Future Boy Conan isn't exactly the easiest thing to find digital copies of. Until recently (thanks for Live-evil), you only had an 8-9 year old English fansub and unless you knew where to look for stuff like that, it's mostly torrents with no seeds. A lot of older TV series, especially ones from the 70's, are like that.

I recently watched Dezaki's Aim for the Ace film and loved it. I was dismayed when I realized nothing else had been translated. The first tv series (the film was basically was summary of it) has been translated up to ep 21 so far but other titles are still untouched. In particular I wanted to check out the OVA sequels but... :(

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:31 pm

^
Hey Xard, your beloved Factale aired.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^
Hey Xard, your beloved Factale aired.

Huh, I thought NoitaminA block was on night between Friday and Satrday, not Thursday and Friday.

What the fuck.

oh well, there's only 360p version out by now anyway (propably fron FUNimation) so I'll wait.

And while I wait I might as well watch Gall Force: Revolution >

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Fractale and Hourou Musuko

Postby symbv » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Finally the NoitaminA shows started - just finished FRACTALE and HOUROU MUSUKO. Some first impressions:

FRACTALE

An original anime with a lot of hype, not least that it is a "succeed or perish" anime for the director Yamakan, who was famous for the Hare Hare Yukai dance in Haruhi and got fired as director of Lucky Stars after a few episodes.

Consistently high quality animation. Clean and bright color with a lot of outdoor scenes dominated by green grass, blue sky and sea.

Not sure why the hair color for Phryne was changed to brown. Actually the way she was drawn seems to be a bit changed from the original too. The way it looks in original design makes her look older (like 17? she is supposed to be 16) and perhaps more like a person detached from the usual life (just my opinion). And seiyuu doing Phryne sounds a bit flat -- I checked that the seiyuu is relatively new, not sure if it would help if a more experienced seiyuu took this lead role.

As for story it sticks quite close to the manga. It covers the first 2 installments (until Nessa made her entry). The entry scene of Phryne is very Miyazaki-like. But I think Miyazaki did such scene with a lot more tension. And the fall of Phryne seems to be just for effect - she could actually be killed by letting herself fall over like that onto the cliff (particularly as those who chase her are a bunch of "baka", wonder if she needs to try to act so cool). Also I expect the prayer song to be more melodic :-) And somehow the background music sounds a bit like Miyazaki anime too :-)

The OP started only after 6min and contains almost only fractal effect. I had expected a bit more scenes from the anime... The ED also seems to be cost conscious.

So far it has not yet shown anything about the problem of this fractale world. More should be revealed in the next few episodes. All in all a good show. Will continue to watch. Cannot say it is much of breakthrough but it is entertaining.

HOUROU MUSUKO (Wandering Son)

Adapated from a manga (classified as seinen manga, but the art style is more neutral/shojo-influcenced) about a cross-dressing boy who had just entered junior high.

Really really love the watercolor style in the animation. The character design is soft and warm. While the story takes place at home, classroom, on the street or in a cafe, it has a blissful dream like mood around it. All these seem to give the tricky idea of cross-dressing boy a kind of beneficial support. All the characters are lovely yet look and sound real. I particularly like the scene where an adult is willing to talk a bit about growing up and boy-meets-girl to the boy who has just changed environment and was unease with himself. The self-introduction scene in the classroom was also very well done - make clear for all the key characters as well as their personality and relationship with each other. The cross-dressing was done respectfully and should I say naturally - and made more effective with the monologue from the boy.

I will go back to my recorded show to chew over the dialogues. I really love this anime. Perhaps I will check out the manga to see how it was done in manga.

Can't say I like the songs used in OP/ED - perhaps a song with a softer tempo is better as OP? Anyway don't really hate it either.

Will continue to watch....

Watching NoitaminA reminds me of how much more powerful to have a major TV channel (it is by TBS) running an anime show to attract sponsors. Both shows have at least 3 times as many commercials as the usual midnight anime !! (which means 2 breaks are needed instead of 1) And the sponsors are mostly not from the usual anime-related business.
Last edited by symbv on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Today I started watching and got up to episode 9 in Brain Powerd. The best way to describe it is sorting through the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Nice action scenes
-Neat antibody designs (what the grand chers and brain powerds are referred to as; really liked Edgar's grand cher)
-Originality
-Likable characters (Jonathan makes a good evil ace pilot)
-Good story thus far

Cons:
-Bad music
-Very little is explained, but I imagine that'll take time
-Pacing could be better

Overall it is pretty good, I look forward to seeing the rest.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Just watched Hourou Musuko too. It was as good as I expected. I really love the art and the voice actors. The only complaint I had at the begining was the fact that they didn't start at the first chapter, but in the 30 something. Then I realised it's better that way, the best part of the manga starts there, and it has more characters. Like Sarashina, who's one of the best.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

View Original PostNatsuka_Chie wrote:Just watched Hourou Musuko too. It was as good as I expected. I really love the art and the voice actors. The only complaint I had at the begining was the fact that they didn't start at the first chapter, but in the 30 something. Then I realised it's better that way, the best part of the manga starts there, and it has more characters. Like Sarashina, who's one of the best.

Yeah, I was surprised that the story started from junior high, whereas in the manga the story was supposed to start with them at 5th grade (and at 10). The classroom scene basically brought out all the key characters and clearly showed their personality. The story in this episode already got very interesting (Saori made a big impact, but we have not seen Yoshino got into act yet!) and it will get more so -- Now I wonder where will they end the anime as manga has 11 vol.

Wonder how you watched the show (assuming you are not living in Japan)? It was aired in Japan about 3 hours ago... Guess upload in the net age is pretty quick these days....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Wonder how you watched the show (assuming you are not living in Japan)? It was aired in Japan about 3 hours ago... Guess upload in the net age is pretty quick these days....

Speedsubs usually hit the web inside hour or two after airing, sometimes in even lesser time. With Hourou Musuko and Fractale's there's practically no delay as they're rips from streams like Crunchyroll.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Watched the first episode of Hourou Musuko already. Brilliant. If the quality is consistent this anime season will be even more awesome than the earlier one. Kimi ni Todoke 2's first episode was also magnificent (and heartbreaking).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:-Bad music

By dissing the only thing Brain Powerd ever gets complimented for TDSA once again reveals the fact he's a real visionary of these barren wastelands of anime reviews

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I am afraid I do not follow you, Xard....
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:47 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I am afraid I do not follow you, Xard....

He's saying you're the cream of the crop.
SPOILER: Show
Not.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

If I wasn't a visionary in some barren wastelands why did he call me such?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:why did he call me such?
Because sarcasm.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:50 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Because sarcasm.

:rofl:
Voluntary Illusion.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Sarcasm only really works when you put an emoticon or something to indicate it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 pm

That is all.

(I must admit TDSA is kinda hot there in oh-god-I-should-not-think-like-this way...)

While I'm saving NoitaminA for tomorrow I finally got around watching first ep of Todoke S2

It made me wax poetic like great kinky Kinsley himself. Or maybe this is long lost Bansho haiku or more modern stuff, I dunno

SPARKLES AND BUBBLES

ON MY SCREEN

IN MY HEART

IT'S FINALLY BACK

Pin is still freakin' hilarious btw

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:30 pm

(I must admit TDSA is kinda hot there in oh-god-I-should-not-think-like-this way...)

Once more I'm not following what you're trying to say....

And besides, what else is wrong with Brain Powerd aside from what I mentioned?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”