Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 pm

I finally started Berserk on Friday. Got to
SPOILER: Show
Casca not recognizing Guts
, which is 105 chapters in, if you include the unnumbered chapters before 1 and skip chapter 83 because lol noncanon nao. This series is amazing, and I usually hate grimdark series for trying too hard to be edgy, but this is legitimately great. Of course, now I'm crying too much to continue and need a break, but I'm too depressed and angry to do much else.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Berserk nearly gets excessively grimdark at one point but for the most part it toes the line quite well. I basically never stop taking it seriously, which is good for a series as violent as that.

I finished jojo part 6: stone ocean a few weeks ago. very dynamic bunch of characters (annasui is an odd love interest but he and his stand make every fight they're a part of more interesting) and a female jojo at last, on top of being the most bizarre part yet. most of the cast was either angry or confused most of the time as a result of said bizarreness. I didn't like jotaro in part 6 artstyle but his comeback was hype and gave a sense of added weight to the finale.

not sure about pucci as dio's legacy. he was an interesting and infuriating villain whose ultimate goal makes less sense the more you learn about it, but his flashbacks with dio hardly seem in character with the former. as a standalone villain gaypriest is brilliant, as the final ripple left by dio I'm not so sure. regardless of that the final battle was rank with desperation and had some incredibly fluid panels. I'd rank it second only to part 3's DIO in terms of finales, but it eclipses even that one in its bittersweet finality.

this fucking panel ;__;7

All the grim, weird shit that went down in this part leads me to believe Araki was going through some anno-during-eva type shit while making it. Maybe. I should also note that Jolyne is very top-tier. I like the way Araki draws women almost as much as the way he draws men.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:57 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I finally started Berserk on Friday. Got to
, which is 105 chapters in, if you include the unnumbered chapters before 1 and skip chapter 83 because lol noncanon nao. This series is amazing, and I usually hate grimdark series for trying too hard to be edgy, but this is legitimately great. Of course, now I'm crying too much to continue and need a break, but I'm too depressed and angry to do much else.

One of us, one of us :D

As for chapter 83, it's in a sort of ambiguous state because it does fit very well with what we already know, but it's officially confirmed yet because the author doesn't want to limit the scope of his work by defining the endpoint of it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:02 pm

After a year and change of SSD bugging me to read it, I started Marmalade Boy. Seems like a pretty general Love Triangle/Love Rival story so far, but I'm only through Vol. 1.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:54 pm

About damn time you started! :fistshake:

Do post your thoughts in here as you get through it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:59 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I finally started Berserk on Friday. Got to

Yeah, when I initially picked up Berserk, I was legitmately surprised despite how dark and violent it could be, it was still a genuinely entertaining and interesting series because of it. Gut's character development being all across the board is also pretty good.

OT: Tried picking up UQ Holder! again after dropping it, if only because I was a huge sucker (and still am) for Negima. Huge mistake, the series somehow got worse over time instead of better. Its like the author realized at some point that everyone wanted a real Negima follow up and is trying to make up for it...and failing miserably, because the cast everyone cares about is deeeeeeeaaaad! Bah. Dropped it again.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:27 pm

T-REX NA KANOJO
The premise to this one is: what if dinos evolved alongside humans and adapted human-like features?

MC is our human character and the female lead is a tsundere T-rex girl who is freaking adorable, there really isn't much to say about this series because its mostly just a gag manga but i enjoy it, check it out.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:09 am

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:Tried picking up UQ Holder! again after dropping it
The series somehow got worse over time instead of better.

You make it as far as the zombies? Lordy, that was awful.
Well, with the start of chapter 83 or so, UQ Holder! has managed to become a little engaging again…

It’s currently going through a training arc; MC is powering up before some tournament or some other crap nobody really cares about, but wait a minute- what’s this? The story is exploring Negima veteran Evangeline a little more? There’s a romance brewing?

We know the characters can’t die, but can they have their hearts broken?

Intrigue! That’s more like it.

Fuuka was mildly enjoyable fluff to start with, but since the death of a certain character occurred- it’s become a good underdog story about a band chasing a dream.

The songs the band play are shared with the reader in the perfect possible way: not at all.
No lyrics or sheet music is ever displayed, it’s all in the imagination. They’re as good/bad as the story dictates. Perhaps this is a familiar trope used in musical comics? I wouldn’t know. Either way, it works.

It’s been a good read so far, and with chapter 71 finished- I’m still hooked and eager to see where the story takes The Fallen Moon.

Sara rocks a USA flag bikini very nicely.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:
The songs the band play are shared with the reader in the perfect possible way: not at all.
No lyrics or sheet music is ever displayed,

I think Beck was this way. Other than maybe sharing song titles, and commenting once in a while what skills the invidual band members had, it was pretty sparse.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:33 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:You make it as far as the zombies? Lordy, that was awful.
Well, with the start of chapter 83 or so, UQ Holder! has managed to become a little engaging again…

It’s currently going through a training arc; MC is powering up before some tournament or some other crap nobody really cares about, but wait a minute- what’s this? The story is exploring Negima veteran Evangeline a little more? There’s a romance brewing?

We know the characters can’t die, but can they have their hearts broken?

Intrigue! That’s more like it.

Yeah, but it completely lost me when the "revelation" that the main character also has Asuna's powers as well. There's only so much special you can pack into a snowflake, so my willing suspension of disbelief was completely shattered. I'd rather have the genuine article in this case then what we currently have, because him and the rest of the cast are horribly dull otherwise.

That also means Asuna probably won't appear again in Holder, which is a disappointment for me.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Rather than spawn a "What LN...?" thread, I'll say it here.

I just read the first chapter of Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de aru. All I can say is "The weather forecast for today is earthquakes, and heavy falls of stardust."

Looks like it's going to be a wild ride.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I've been hearing about this new manga that just got released in the latest issue of Comic Bunch:
http://www.comicbunch.com/comicinfo/futagonoteikoku/
Any idea how I can read it?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Finished vol. 5 of Kodansha's Vinland Saga 2x release version, equivalent to finishing vol. 10. I know what happens next though since I found the scans after going through vols 1-2.

Also finished Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood. My last exposure to Jojo was the '90s OAV and I can't remember too much of it except The World stopping time. But now I am slightly more interested in checking out the recent TV series. To see the poses in action.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:09 am

Powered through all of Prison School that is currently scanned and translated.

This manga is brilliant in the worst kind of way.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 am

The new Yotsuba is hilarious, as usual.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 pm

I've got back into one of my old favorites. . . finally caught up to volume 16.

Blade Of The Immortal:
I really appreciate that the whole thing is so ingloriously raw and visceral. True, it's got quite a few anachronisms that did not exist in the real Edo period in Japan. But those are forgivable, given the amount of emotional weight given to the harsh realities of the Edo period.

While it dabbles in anachronisms for fight scenes and discussions of bigger topics, when it comes to life in Feudal Japan, things are played grimly horrifyingly straight.

The reality of life in the Edo period Japan was that if you weren't a samurai, Merchant, or a government official, your life would be uncomfortable, nasty, brutal, and short. People's movements were under constant watch and documentation by their government, peasants were treated little better than pack animals, women were sold into government sanctioned sexual slavery when their husbands and fathers couldn't pay their taxes, the Shogunate kept the emperors bloodline alive purely for political reasons, and the Samurai were just as bad as the criminals and rebels they put down.

When faced with all those harsh realities, becoming Assassin's and Bandits for hire seems like the better option.

characters  SPOILER: Show
I really enjoy how the story goes out of its way to develop the characters beyond just Manji and Rin.

Makie the Geisha Assasin. Rescued from a brothel, with a story equal parts violent and tragic.

Hyakurin, a former wife of a Samurai who was recruited as an agent of the Shogunate after murdering her husband for killing their terminally ill son. Who is forced to bear her rapists child after refusing to betray her allies.

Taito, a man who is guilty of so much death. Part of the same group of outlaws that murdered Rin's mother, but follows a strict code of honor he refuses to deviate from. Even at the risk of his own life.

Pretty much everyone even the bad guys and girls, government and outlaw alike get development. Most of them aren't really bad people on the inside. But the grim reality of life in Tokugawa's Japan doesn't give them many options. Merciful people can't survive under the thumb of the Shogunate.

Manji himself is my favorite character. Sarcastic, no-nonsense, but at the same time he's been around since the Shogunate was created, he's become equal parts wise and apathetic. Forced into an unfair existence. He tried and failed to do the right thing, and ended up rewarded with the inability to die. He barely sees himself as being contained by human morality, Rin is the only one whom he genuinely seems to care for. Though he knows he'll never be able to genuinely connect with her due to his condition. He's basically the best of Wolverine and Conan with a Samurai coating.

I''S:
The basic setup is an average Schlub finally works up the nerve to talk to a girl he likes. Problem is, right before he does, she poses for a Swimsuit spread in a magazine to try and get publicity for her career as a model and an actress. Now every horny teenage boy in his high school is queuing up to hit on her. How does he prove his feelings are honest when the girl of his dreams is shooting down everyone who comes her way? Made even more complicated by a childhood friend returning from America, and several other students trying to get photos of the love of his life naked.

Fun romantic comedy. . . but it strikes me as more of an excuse to draw girls in sexy outfits than as a desire to do anything substantial with the basic rom com setu;.

I bought this Manga purely because the art seemed more realistic than your average Shonen, and it definitely is. though it falls short of the Standards set by other Shonen and Seinen.

Katsura always draws excellent Cheesecake. But the story is your typical love triangle romance soap opera anime.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I didn't even know the knights of sidonia manga ended in september.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:I didn't even know the knights of sidonia manga ended in september.

That's good to know. Maybe if we get a third season it will wrap things up and stay faithful to the source material.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:37 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's good to know. Maybe if we get a third season it will wrap things up and stay faithful to the source material.

ahah you don't want to leave nihei in charge of the script or any writing:D I heard the ending is a bit shit but I still have to go through it, it wouldn't be surprising though after everything I read from him. He doesn't care. But the scenery porn and the game-y action he pulls, I'll buy it all.
Wonder how the anime will end since the manga ending implies a sequel. Sort of.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:39 am

View Original Postunz wrote:I didn't even know the knights of sidonia manga ended in september.

I didn't either as I'm reading the English Dark Horse tanks. Good to know the end is in sight though. Easily one of my favourite comics of the past few years and tops Nihei's Blame! and BIOMEGA.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Anime and Manga”