He is, my good fellow, comparing a literary classic to a poo

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:So uhh, what is Fitzgerald and what's Meyer
The f/z translation is much better than the monogataris, I just flubbed the analogy. Wasn't comparing the quality of the works, just the translation.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:He is, my good fellow, comparing a literary classic to a poo

Of course I could tell that, I just found myself confused which was which and if it was about quality of translation or quality of prose itself.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:The f/z translation is much better than the monogataris, I just flubbed the analogy. Wasn't comparing the quality of the works, just the translation.

Right. I tend away from fan translations of LNs ever since I first got to compare fan translations of Haa Roo Hee and the official book releases. While both were good in terms of accuracy (at least I couldn't notice any divergence points) the prose in professional translation was so much better it wasn't even funny.

Of course quality of fan translations vary wildly and F/Z was eminently readable but whether due to woodenness of Butch Gen's own writing or the ever present annoying literacy of fan translations I didn't find F/Z translations on baka compelling read either.

Which is not to say there isn't much worse fan translations out there, of course.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:23 am

Can you read moon?

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Started reading Yotsuba. Stopped reading Yotsuba after four chapters. It wasn't enjoyable for me.

I'm gonna take tha bait and tell you that you are a bad person for not enjoying yotsuba

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 am

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Can you read moon?

To a limited capability (as in throw me enough kanji salad and I'll have to take a look at dictionary while reading), yes. Haven't read Haruhi in Japanese though so my accuracy comment was based on (at least first volumes) translating every part same in terms of meaning. Chances of two translations of same text being off esp. when one is by paid pro are pretty slim.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

View Original PostXard wrote:To a limited capability (as in throw me enough kanji salad and I'll have to take a look at dictionary while reading), yes. Haven't read Haruhi in Japanese though so my accuracy comment was based on (at least first volumes) translating every part same in terms of meaning. Chances of two translations of same text being off esp. when one is by paid pro are pretty slim.
Cool. I have the raws of Kino no Tabi downloaded, I hope to reach a point where I can start to make sense of it, but I've heard the writing is pretty dry.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:14 am

Naruto Chapter 640
Remember the last time when Naruto fights were more ninja-like, and story was less cliche/predictable? Me neither.....Kishi, what are you doing....? :facepalm:
I don't know why i'm still reading this..... ;__;

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:07 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Naruto Chapter 640
Remember the last time when Naruto fights were more ninja-like, and story was less cliche/predictable? Me neither.....Kishi, what are you doing....? :facepalm:

Me neither. I still enjoy it though.

Now Reading: latest Zetman

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Reading Kangoku Gakuen, this shit is freakin' hilarious and awesome, I hope it gets licensed over here and adapted into a show, it's too good.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:19 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Naruto Chapter 640

Naruto is pissing me to no fucking end lately. I can't give it up cause I have been invested in this manga for a long time, but goddammit, can someone tell me that last chapters have been a tiny amount coherent? It's Kishi legit trolling us in the most annoying way. Nothing makes sense, the panels are freaking inexplicable, I find myself browsing the pages wondering 'this shit can't possibly go on for much longer' and it always does.

Urgh, basically.

p.s Tobi was so much better than Obito Rin Pussy Wagon we've been handed the last months. I'm not even looking forward to seeing my favorite character in the series, Shikamaru, anymore and that's saying a lot.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:23 pm

^ 'tis the burden we must bear for being drawn in so early on -_-;

NR: Naruto 641

...the insanity continues

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:41 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:^ 'tis the burden we must bear for being drawn in so early on -_-;

NR: Naruto 641

...the insanity continues

Funny thing, didn't Kishi said not so long ago that he was planning to finish it ~soon~? So, he either decided to stretch it for the lulz and for the monnies or, monnies-editors forced him to continue at which point, he's like fuckitimmatrollyou then. Whatever happend, is not good for the audience, though.

I see people are rejoicing for the "precious" NaruSaku bromance back btw, but I think it's obvious that Sasuke is gonna go cray cray on Konoha after Rin-obsessed-lame villain is outta the picture.

Oh boy, how I long for the Jiraya/Asuma days; I am telling you, a bad thing the wise guys bit the dust, it all went downhill from there.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:43 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:
Oh boy, how I long for the Jiraya/Asuma days; I am telling you, a bad thing the wise guys bit the dust, it all went downhill from there.

:sniffle: Ahhhhh... what is this salty discharge coming from my eyes?!?!?!

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Oh boy, how I long for the Jiraya/Asuma days; I am telling you, a bad thing the wise guys bit the dust, it all went downhill from there.

Yeah.
Also, i've dropped One piece completely. (Well, i did that 2 months ago, but only now i mention this)

Basically the reasons were that it became too predictable, it's long, cliche, boring, shonen. Plus, i just can't read/watch things that are for younger people anymore.

Sayonara One piece. :salute:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 am

There should be somewhere a hotline for weekly damaged Naruto readers.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:There should be somewhere a hotline for weekly damaged Naruto readers.

If by damaged you mean lactating with rage, then yes. Hell, Naruto is not even my favorite manga (nowhere compared to Kenshin for example, or better yet Monster) but it pisses me off that it was truly good, and then suddenly derail, derail, derail.
I obviously get that the quality of smth, be it whatever work of fiction that is long running, is by default gonna be downgrading at some point, but end it with dignity.

Bleach seems to be following that route too, but thankfully I jumped the ship a long time ago and from the small reactions that I stumble off online, a lot of readers are just anticipating the end so they can get it over with.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Bleach seems to be following that route too

Honestly Bleach has been great this past year, best it's ever consistently been in my experience (not that that says a lot, it being Bleach and all). Kubo kicked it up a notch with this final arc and for the most part isn't holding anything back. We've gotten Aizen shenanigans, characters dying, actual answers being given, and not a lot of time spent on useless chapters.

Actually, the best part of Bleach these past few months has been the same as SnK: Going back to old chapters and finding tiny details that at the time we skipped over but in retrospect have been hinting at the events of the current arc all along. I know common opinion is that Kubo makes it up as he goes, and maybe some of it he does, but a lot of the stuff that's been found is too specific to not have been planned out. Best example would be

SPOILER: Show
In a recent chapter it was revealed that Old Man Zangetsu was actually Ichigo's quincy power, not his shinigami power. Now, that sounds like an asspull of the greatest magnitude until people went back and found all these pages from previous chapters that in reality didn't add up, people just never picked up on it. This could just be people grasping for straws, though, which would have been a possibility until two chapters later when the first page in the chapter was a collage of all the scenes that /a/ had found.

Pic Related

On the left is the collage /a/ made after the reveal. On the right is the page from the chapter two weeks later.

Me? I love this shit. I love pouring over stuff and finding all the tiny little hints that were staring me in the face and going "OMG IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!" I love having my mind blown like that, and Bleach has been doing it in spades. It might not be Shakespeare but damned if it isn't entertaining.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

@CJD? Hum, is that so? Guess I should check it out myself then, instead of relying to crazy Ichiruki fans that complain about the lack of romance and how the story blows so much. Actually, that should have been my cue that the story might actually be doing okay now.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:48 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:

Yeah, Bleach is definitely the best out of the big three. (It's the only shonen that i follow currently) And i HOPE that it doesn't go the same route as Naruto and One piece. :pray:

Return to “Anime and Manga”