Is Evangelion Flawed?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Well, that much is obvious. Image

ROFL, why the whole carebear theme lol.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 01:36 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Ornette wrote:Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure I read all the posts during those few days of utter nonsense.

You didn't miss a thing. The implications of that one, criminally misunderstood scene are beyond belief. The scene has a very lucid meaning once you figure it out, and things unfold into very unexpected directions from there. If you blow the scene off, though, you can struggle through the rest of the series "perfectly fine"; you'll just have no clue what the hell is going on. The fewer story elements, clues, and thematic details you blow off, the more sense the series will make. Makes sense to me.

But Aaron has never cared about stuff like those supposed "peripheral plot elements"*. He's had a pathological habit of flipping off at least 4/5 of a series that he supposedly "loves". It's like that quote from "Dogma": "You don't celebrate your religion. You mourn it." Well, replace "religion" with "geekdom", and there you have it.

I have no idea why he, and others, get such a bug up their lower digestive tracts over absolutely silly things like this. Honestly. My sense of humor may be twisted, but some people REALLY have no shame. Or a sense of priority/perspective, for that matter!

I suppose I can let myself love this series as absolutely much as I do because I see eye-to-eye with Anno on... gee, offhand I really can't think of any particular place where we don't. It just sort of turned out that way. Routine psychotherapy appointments (great opportunities for introspection and reflection, BTW) between Summer 2000 and Winter 2006. Rachel grows and discovers herself as a person. Randomly goes back and watches parts of NGE for forum debate purposes. Something that I hadn't really thought much about before -- just talking heads up until then -- clicks.

"Holy crap. I know exactly what you mean!!!"

Plus, being both an artist and a storyteller myself -- another convergent trait, I guess -- I've been forced to roll my eyes at the vast majority of the criticism, since most people make it clear that they have no idea how this sort of creative process works. You build a vision of the fictional universe in your head, and the story that is actually presented to an audience can be as selective about the details it actually reveals as it likes. Anno obviously wasn't targeting his story at those who wanted something quick and easy. NGE has a mind-boggling amount of replay value, and I really admire it for that. (That's one of the things that has kept me here all these years.) This anime really needs to be chewed before it can be fully processed.**

If you don't like the way it tastes, spit it out and find something else to eat, because NGE isn't for you. I cannot understand how so many people can possibly consider themselves "fans" when they clearly demonstrate that they have no respect for the creative team or the storytelling. The fandom is completely, devastatingly superficial. Fine. At least acknowledge that you are a surface-level fan and let the hard-core geeks do their thing, because you have no right to sour what should be a fun Internet retreat for "Eva" discussion and debate with your rotten personalities and opinions. Yes, there are opinions, and then there are rancid, stinking ones; and the difference is all in the presentation.

Those responsible for causing and feeding this travesty and every similar outbreak (and you know damn well who you are) who try to justify their outrageous behavior are not much different from homophobes who insist on attending Gay Pride marches. Honestly, what joy do you get from this? Grow the hell up.

The reactions that NGE provokes tell us a hell of a lot more about the people reacting than the quality or character of the show itself. It's rather impressive that way.

* As it goes, the fact that THEY have all been chronically dismissed by fans is yet another "self-imposed dam to understanding". <insert>

** Gee, why is Asari-san's statement popping into my head again? How interesting that Eva Monkey is the one hosting this, too. <insert>

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 02:23 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Hold on guys, let me turn down the Oprah show. Oh! That ain't Oprah, that's Y'ALL!

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 02:51 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Reichu wrote:** Gee, why is Asari-san's statement popping into my head again? How interesting that Eva Monkey is the one hosting this, too.
That's not ironic Rachel. Irony is the opposite of what is expected. Asari speaks of not getting consumed in every minor detail to the point where you don't enjoy the core of the show. This is something similar to what I have said in the past, but my belief that obsession over minute details is counter-productive has had no bearing whatsoever on what I have said in recent discussion. Unless I'm missing the point.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 02:53 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Well, I've thrown in my two cents. If people lack priority enough to actually find this kind of "discussion" important -- by all means, let the flame wars continue. Image I won't interfere with something this absolutely valuable to "Evangelion" geekdom as a whole. </sardonicism>

:withdraws into the shadows of her laboratory/dungeon:

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 02:55 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Reichu wrote:If people lack priority enough to actually find this kind of "discussion" important -- by all means, let the flame wars continue.
So, you're saying that people are arguing because they aren't paying your theories enough attention?

I think my brain just did a 360. Image

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 02:59 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

I don't know whose new avatar to praise first: Monkey's or Nick's. Image

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mine is hawter.

:ogles Misato's dad for fifteen minutes:

If I were Misato, I'd have an Elektra Complex, too.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:07 GMT

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Reichu wrote:Mine is hawter.

No, MY avatar is hotter.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:08 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

I've got you both beat, my avatar is teh hawtest of teh hawt.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:12 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

I think the concept of Cognitive Dissonance is being demostrated in my mind at the juxtaposition of J.J.Walker and "hot". Image

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:12 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Actually, who am I kidding. StuffMan has the Yui-sama avatar right now. Even though she looks kind of dodgy in that particular image, we should all know by now that Yui-sama is the Ultimate Sex Symbol. She is everything I seek in a woman...

And Misato's dad is pretty hawt, too. Hopefully he'll emerge from the sea after 3I and All Will Be Right With the World. If Yui-sama doesn't take me with her, I'll be waiting for him. With a gun.

"Akira! I am your first fangirl ever! Hurry! Make love to me!"
"......."
"If you don't give me the Nookie, I'll take it by force!!! In fact, I'd prefer it that way!"
"God, no! I've already cheated on Sayaka twice!"
"Don't worry. No other NGE geeks know that you did. Even after Instrumentality, the Cognitive Dissonance caused by the concept of your character actually being significant has led to rejection of the possibility that you have been unfaithful at all. Your secret is safe with me."
"Oh, well, fair enough. Better than being molested by Misato when she shows up. And it's not like the second one REALLY counts, anyway. ...does it?"
"Nahh. You don't have any illegitimate children, either."
"Heh heh, right, right. Of course not. Never. Not me."
:rip:

Levity bombs are fun.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:15 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

I personally think that 64-year old grouchy cyborgs are the ultimate sex symbol.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 04:18 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

J.J Evans > All mentioned in this thread.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 07:32 GMT

Zubon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zubon [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Seele08 wrote:I personally think that 64-year old grouchy cyborgs are the ultimate sex symbol.

What about grouchy 64 year olds that have man-made add-ons like colostomy bags and breathing apparatus? Sexy~?

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 20:58 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Zubon wrote:What about grouchy 64 year olds that have man-made add-ons like colostomy bags and breathing apparatus? Sexy~?

Gah no, only cyborgs! Blech...no I need to run to bathroom!

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 10:06 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Judging from the fanbase, it's proably safe to say that Evangelion is a tortured and dissonant work on some level.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 19:20 GMT

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Seele08 wrote:I've got you both beat, my avatar is teh hawtest of teh hawt.

Really? I'd turn gay for Reno, myself.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 08:51 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Reno's hawt but he's no grumpy cyborg. And Keel's not the only hawt grumpy old cyborg either!

There's Ziggy!
Despite his looks Ziggy is more than twice as old as Keel.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 08:58 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

RyoTD wrote:Really? I'd turn gay for Reno, myself.
I've already turned gay for Reno.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2006, 21:34 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”