Official Evangelion Live Action Series Thread Cont. 2

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

I think these are the folks doing his suits: http://www.limebarbcosplay.com/index.html

Shinji wrote:here are no stickmen. The version of the trailer is being produced and that is what you are all waiting for.
No, we're waiting for all sorts of things. You're the one that keeps telling us we're waiting for the trailer. We've repeatedly told you that the trailer is irrelevant. I mean, you do realize that a movie trailer is made AFTER filming is complete, right? You know that?

In the case of stickmen, all I'm saying is that of course you'd have tried to animate a simple model realistically PRIOR to paying several hundred dollars for a very complex and stylistic model you don't even know whether you'll be able to use. Where are the results of those animation tests?

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 00:28 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji_Ikari [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

Ok I see what you mean. We are still working on them.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 00:37 GMT

Haro! [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haro! [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

Sigh at this point I'd be satisfied if he'd atleast be able to make his own Eva AMV....

sailornyanko wrote:So how are you going to make the Eva capsule? Obviously you can't CGI the whole seat and controls.

I'm also curious how you're going to make the plug suits. You're gonna have to visit kinky rubber stores and order "special" suits.
I'd pay Shinji for the suit if he got you to wear it.. kinky rubber Image

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 00:48 GMT

sailornyanko [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sailornyanko [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

Hahaha, I could pull off as a credible Asuka.. at least physically. I'd just need to have longer hair and paint it red. But for the rest physically I do look a heck a lot like her. 21 years old and I still have the body of a 14 year old. Hahaha.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 00:52 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Shinji_Ikari wrote:Ok I see what you mean. We are still working on them.
So you haven't personally animated a simple walking figure in whatever CG program you're going to use? Not yet? Is this just another "trust me, I'll figure it out" thing?

Have your hands actually touched a keyboard and mouse on this project for anything other than putting up the (fake) website? Have you done anything? If so, what?

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 00:59 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ok you know what? ill just show you a half assed piece of our earlier works.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 01:09 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

You mean like we've been asking you to do for... counting the other threads... 40-45 pages now? IMAGINE THAT! Light finally dawns on Marblehead!

Now! While the light of comprehension is still shining, think - if you post something, make sure it meets the criteria we've repeatedly requested. otherwise, it'll be one more useless pile of data.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 01:11 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Yep, its just a piece of data again. Unfishished.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 01:14 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Agh! Just when I thought you had an epiphany... I knew there had to be an excuse.

Did we ever ASK for finished product? No. We asked for tests. Proof Of Concept Tests. Proof that you can do all of the technical tasks that will be required in the finished product. We aren't asking for the finished product, just for a demonstration of all the concepts that will be required. You know, all of the things that you would have to prove to yourself and others before anyone put a single dime into this project, yourself included.

I could ask you a hundred relevant questions, but thus far you haven't even been able to understand what I've been asking, much less been willing to answer me directly. So I'll go back to my earlier question:

Have your hands touched a keyboard and mouse on this project for anything other than putting up a (fake) website? If so, FOR WHAT?! *

* If self-gratification over your casting choice for Misato was involved, please do NOT answer this question. Forget I asked.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 01:25 GMT

Rain [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rain [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

Shinji_Ikari wrote:Yep, its just a piece of data again. Unfishished.
Hey, can I (we) see it? I don't care if it's unfinished... at least it's something, right?

And no, I don't wanna see more pics of you or whoever, I wanna see results to maybe prove that you are even capable of comprehending everything that has been asked of you for the past... like, 40 pages of posts.

That'd be appreciated.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 01:57 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji_Ikari [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

These two people include me, and my brother,. Its unfinished because the audio has been stripped. Enjoy the bad graphic animations. uhg...
Sorry wait a few minutes for it to upload its a big file - 29.4mb
Big for slow connections.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:13 GMT

Rain [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rain [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

@Shinji_Ikari

I don't see any bad graphic animations? Uhm, the word 'unfinished' means that you've started something but haven't finished/completed it right? If you've started, that means there has to be SOMETHING, not nothing. So where is this piece of unfinished "data"? o.o

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:24 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

Proof of Concept don't gotta be pretty; it just has to work. You should see some of the software prototypes I've built.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:26 GMT

master terrence [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby master terrence [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

your going to hook me up with a free ticket right...

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:28 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

A free ticket to what? 13 minutes left.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:30 GMT

master terrence [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby master terrence [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

free ticket for the movie... or somethnig like that, maybe a bootleg DVD or soemthnig Image

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:39 GMT

Shinji_Ikari [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Its ready click here to download.
http://www.trailblazermissions.com/p...chen Video.avi

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 02:47 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Yes! SEE? Was that so hard? Finally, we have some idea of your level of technical expertise! Bloody HELL, man. Why did this take so long? This is WORLDS better than that sad little smudge effect you did earlier.

Constructive Feedback I Can Now Give You:

1) Your effects have no depth in your world. When you cough out the little fireball, the efect appears IN FRONT of your hand, rather than behind it. If you can't place that effect behind your hand, you will not be able to effectively do a mixed CG / live action scene. That is important to know. But at least you have a start, and you know what to work on.

2) Your effects aren't part of your world in any other way, either. The light from the fireballs does light up nearby objects (your hands, wrists, and face, for example) nor do they create shadows for the objects in the room. The flittering leaves/butterflies thing didn't appear to interact with the real world at all - they didn't land on the table, nor did they appear to be affected by air currents. When the lamp got scorched, the laser didn't make anything glow (even thought the light was scattered enough for us to see the beam), and the smoke didn't affect the atmosphere in the shot. Your hands reflect on the table finish, but none of the effects do. Stuff like that.

3) Not a big deal, but the flitting leaves thing looked like it was at a better resolution than the film itself. Your effects / CG stuff has to match the live action, or it won't work. Just a note. I could tell you more if I saw a full resolution shot.

I'd like to see the same thing with sound, if you can find that version. I could give you feedback on your audio work. I'm willing to bet you haven't worked the sound into the room space, either. It can be done, but if you did the sound the same way you did the image effects, you might not have thought about it.

Still - successful tests of many concepts. Kudos!

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 03:18 GMT

Chikyuu Senshi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chikyuu Senshi [ANF] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

Shinji_Ikari wrote:Its ready click here to download.
http://www.trailblazermissions.com/p...chen Video.avi
.....It looks like you filmed it on a cheap digital camera. I hope if you're making a whole movie, you can format it better.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 03:29 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from one of my all-time favorite films, Big Trouble In Little China. If you haven't seen it, you should. Not only is it a great film, but it shows what you can do with a very, very small budget.

In this clip, Egg Shen is demonstrating some Chinese Sorcery:

Notice that the blue light from the sparks is lighting up the surrounding objects. It's not PERFECT, though - the extra light is coming from behind the camera and to the left, but that misses the cup of Egg's right palm (frame left), which is in shadow. If the continuity editor had picked up on it, they'd have reflected some of the blue light from a mirror on the right into his palm to make up for it. Then it would've matched the flickering from the main light being shone in his face.

Still - the effect is a PART of the scene, rather than just a superimposed drawing. You'll need this level of ability to place actors on a virtual stage, or else you won't be able to get your lighting right, their positions and shadows right - none of it. They'll be superimposed on a graphic, rather than part of a CG scene.

Do yourself another favor and rent the movie Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow. The movie is fun, but watch the extra features on the disc, specifically the Making of Sky Captain stuff and his original short concept film. He did exactly what you're trying to do now, so you'll have to master the same techniques he used to do his short film. Make a note of them.

Originally posted on: 09-May-2006, 03:50 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”