The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 am

I'm pretty sure LotR was mentioned as often as if not more than Star Wars...

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 12:20 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Being that every opinion that falls into the three possible categories has been shared, I am not going to provide one of my own here. At this point, it's likely (and probably hopeful) that no one really cares what I think, so instead I'll just post THIS LINK (assuming you all haven't already dropped by there) in the event that anyone is mildly curious. (For those of you who have not yet visited, [or have just not taken a good gander] you may find things to discuss other than Star Wars and why sequels suck and why ADV is a bunch of cornball jerkoffs... maybe.)

Hexon, thanks for the link. For making me laugh far too much, sir, you have been .sig'ed

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 13:32 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 am

Actually, Lord of the Rings was mentioned more often than Evangelion, but almost every istance had to do with the adaptation or the actual production.

And I do hope anyone who visits that site feels compelled to share their opinions on the various topics. While none of that is new subject matter, the forum has been quite dead for a while, and new faces citing relatively new viewpoints on old things is still a fun thing to indulge in... for me, anyway.

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 22:31 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 am

I hereby officially apologize to anyone who reads reads any of the pointless crap I posted in this thread. Jebus, what was I thinking? Someone please disintegrate this thread. Image

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 21:06 GMT

Pixel Pimp [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pixel Pimp [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

It's been, what, over a year of pre-production? Whose and how much money has been thrown into this?

Since the annoucement I've always been torn as to whther I want to see a live-action version of Eva. The only good thing is that Weta is handling it, so if it does happen I have faith Richard Taylor and co. will treat the material with respect, although there is still some lingering fear that becuse it is a modern, Japanese piece of work they will see fit to make more changes than they should. Looking at the ceoncept art they got the NERV and Tokyo 3 aspects nailed, but the Evas look too much like a Spawn / Alien thing. And of course I can't think of any western cast that can pull this off well enough to come close to the drawn characters, which is pretty ironic but somehting I'll live with.

I understand that the movie will focus on the first part of the series, which is the 'easy' part to tell. In other words it's basically going to be one big sci-fi action flick, which doesn't sit well with me at all simply because that is not Eva's story. The way I see it these guys just want to take a big franchise, cool designs, great premise and make a lot of money out of a kick-*** action movie.

If these guys can successfuly adapt the full Eva story into maybe 2 films (which I honestly doubt) they deserve all the awards in the world. But bottomline is the Eva story is just not for the mass western audience, which means more likely than not it will not be told, which ultimately is the saddest thing.

Whatever happens, the movie (and this is if it gets made at all) can be a somewhat intelligent trip of escapism, but Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Misato will always and ever be the real characters that carry the love, hope, tragedy and message that is Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 01:47 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Pixel Pimp wrote:Since the annoucement I've always been torn as to whther I want to see a live-action version of Eva. The only good thing is that Weta is handling it, so if it does happen I have faith Richard Taylor and co. will treat the material with respect, although there is still some lingering fear that becuse it is a modern, Japanese piece of work they will see fit to make more changes than they should. Looking at the ceoncept art they got the NERV and Tokyo 3 aspects nailed, but the Evas look too much like a Spawn / Alien thing. And of course I can't think of any western cast that can pull this off well enough to come close to the drawn characters, which is pretty ironic but somehting I'll live with.

When I read your post I did a minor double take, because his name is my name. Now, may I ask: What in the name of the almighty Anno compelled you to bump this thread? What did I do to you? What did we all do to deserve this... Image

Oh well, I guess this monster is doomed to live another 12 months. At least. Image

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 01:53 GMT

longinus [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby longinus [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Sweet mother of God - 74 pages for one thread!

As much as they might desecrate the series and everything that made it so good, they're still pretty clever bastards when you think about it. Every single person here will go see it at least once (even if you mate says 'it's SHITE do not go see it at any cost' you're still gonna go see it). There's no way they wont make their money back.

And when you take into account the rest of the world who's never heard of/seen eva the anime but hear about the super-awesome-incredible special effects and fully-mad robot fights.... there's a blockbuster already.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 05:31 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Whatever happens, the movie (and this is if it gets made at all) can be a somewhat intelligent trip of escapism, but Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Misato will always and ever be the real characters that carry the love, hope, tragedy and message that is Evangelion.

Here's hoping the compulsive act of Westernizing doesn't have the same effect on the way this is accepted as the act of converting Pagan holidays into Christian ones.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 06:41 GMT

MavsWorld [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MavsWorld [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Here's hoping the compulsive act of Westernizing doesn't have the same effect on the way this is accepted as the act of converting Pagan holidays into Christian ones.

NO!!!!!

from the art I saw it looks really cool but I don't think it will ever be able to compare to the anime whatsoever, so I am going to try not to judge it by the anime and just enjoy it as a film. Bets on them making every relationship larger than it is or getting rid of them.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 11:02 GMT

Kangaroo Rat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kangaroo Rat [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Quick question, and if it appears somewhere else in this thread, please forgive me. But I draw the line at 50 pages...

Anyways, have any LA movies been made based on an Anime? I mean, if there have been some others that have been done and done well, there very well might be hope. But then, this IS Evangelion, which means it will need to step up the kickassness level and the director will need a 200% synch ratio with the story.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 13:11 GMT

SeannyB [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeannyB [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

^^ see -- http://animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=311 (2001)
and http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=703 (2003)

dunno about current stuff.

Originally posted on: 11-Jan-2005, 14:36 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

longinus wrote:As much as they might desecrate the series and everything that made it so good, they're still pretty clever bastards when you think about it. Every single person here will go see it at least once (even if you mate says 'it's SHITE do not go see it at any cost' you're still gonna go see it). There's no way they wont make their money back.

Uhh... you'd need a heckuva lot more people than just the people who've seen the series already for the proposed production to make its money back. But, considering that no one seems to be ponying up the money for it to actually get made, it's all moot.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2005, 21:31 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

longinus wrote:As much as they might desecrate the series and everything that made it so good, they're still pretty clever bastards when you think about it. Every single person here will go see it at least once (even if you mate says 'it's SHITE do not go see it at any cost' you're still gonna go see it). There's no way they wont make their money back.

And when you take into account the rest of the world who's never heard of/seen eva the anime but hear about the super-awesome-incredible special effects and fully-mad robot fights.... there's a blockbuster already.
Final Fantasy is a far more well known and popular franchise than Eva, and we all know how well "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" did. Even if they only spent $40 million making it, (which isn't big budget by today's standards) they still wouldn't have made money on that movie.

To be successful and make money, Eva Live Action has to do for anime adaptations what "The Matrix" did for film noir or kung-fu. The Matrix started out as a crazy idea and it just worked really well, so well that the film's budget more than doubled. It wasn't a hit at first, but it went from cult hit to insanely popular by the time the Reloaded roled around.

Eva does have the benefit of having some familiarity already, but that won't necessarily help. Films need to be impressive. Garfield was well known, it did terrible. Dungeons and Dragons is well known, it did terrible. Street Fighter is well known.... I can't remember how well it did, but it was still terrible. See where I'm going with this?

Product familiarity is not necessarily what is going to sell people on a movie. It has to grab people, and it has to be good, otherwise people will hear how bad it is and stop going to see it after the first or second week.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2005, 23:55 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:To be successful and make money, Eva Live Action has to do for anime adaptations what "The Matrix" did for film noir or kung-fu. The Matrix started out as a crazy idea and it just worked really well, so well that the film's budget more than doubled. It wasn't a hit at first, but it went from cult hit to insanely popular by the time the Reloaded roled around.

I hated the first one, thought the second one was pretty boring, third one mildly entertaining. I hate the way people talk about how philosophically deep it was. I didn't see anything deep about it. So what if it questioned whether the reality we live in is real. That isn't something relevant to the lives of most people. Its not a moral or emotional issue that you can discuss at any length because it can't go any further than the proposition of "What if this isn't reality". What else can you say after that? Its no deeper than suggesting the possibility that dogs are really superior alien beings. At least EVA looks at issues that most people can relate to.

The EVA movie will be successful IMO if they can somehow modify the story so it can be successfully implanted into three movies. They also have to make the personal struggles of the characters believable and a prime part of the story. My fear is that they'll just take the theme of kids piloting robots, call it evangelion and leave everything else out. The emotional aspect is 50% or more of EVA.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2005, 00:16 GMT

TsunamiShijo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TsunamiShijo [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

[QUOTE=Orin_Quon]Official word from ADV: the cast will be "international".

GTO is a 10 bucks movie, with no effects, no message, no religion, no drama, no "international cast", in the same country that the anime was made.

I guess GTO = Eva in your head, right?QUOTE]

BY the way THERE WAS NO RELIGOUS CONCEPTS IN EVA WHY DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN ASKED THE ASISSTANT DIRECTOR IS QUOTED AS SAYING THE ONLY REASON FOR RELIGOUS SYMBOLISM IN EVA IS BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT LOOKED COOL. And by the way, GTO IS A DRAMA, HOW CAN A DRAMA HAVE NO DRAMA!?!? And another thing, maybe you should watch GTO more carefully and study like you do with Eva (obviously) and realize that the whole story is based on a message. YOU LOSE!

Assistant Director Kazuya Tsurumaki
There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get
distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 07:20 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

BY the way THERE WAS NO RELIGOUS CONCEPTS IN EVA WHY DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN ASKED THE ASISSTANT DIRECTOR IS QUOTED AS SAYING THE ONLY REASON FOR RELIGOUS SYMBOLISM IN EVA IS BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT LOOKED COOL.

Nicotine is not addictive.

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 21:05 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

What the members of Gainax mean is that there is no religious truth to it. They don't mean that its all just thrown in there to look cool. The judeo/christian imagery is a vehicle for the plot and so forth, it could have been greek mythology, and it might have worked just as well.

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 21:12 GMT

TsunamiShijo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ah so i guess the exact words of the asisstant director are just a conpiracy so that people wont get mad at them, I see. Like MagicianCamille said, EVA fans will say anything to keep living in their make believe world that EVA is the best anime ever made.

Hexon did you even read the quote by Tsurumaki?

The judeo/christian imagery is a vehicle for the plot and so forth, it could have been greek mythology, and it might have worked just as well.
Thus was the point Of Tsurumaki's statement, it was only there to look cool, it had no [/u] christian[/u] meaning[/u]

What is it that EVA fans just will not understand?

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 21:21 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 am

This has nothing to do with the topic, just another way for someone to think Eva fans live in their own little world, who over-analyze, blah blah blah. This sterotyping of Eva fans is really starting to get to me, and I wish it wouldn't invade threads such as this. Regulars on these boards know about that quote, the religous images part were just their to look cool for Japanese fans, as Christainity is rare in Japan. Also, NGE was originaly "supposed" otaku-type show, attracting hard-core anime fans, so Gainax probably didn't consider how forgein countries would respond. (if even license it) The only symbols to be interpetated are the mother/sexual elements, most are not that hard. But let people think what they want, and it won't annoy you as much, hopefully. You know there are no Christain meaning, we no there isn't, but some still think there is even today(not that ADV helps it.) Oh well. Image

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 22:19 GMT

TsunamiShijo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

And i agree that most EVA fans do understand that point but some just dont get it. I have nothign against EVA fans as a whole, just against the hardcore ones who say that all other anine sucks compared to EVA blah blah blah. I watched EVA, I liked it for a while, but i found better things and moved on. So in no way am I trying to offend anyone and i'm sorry if I did I was only trying to make my point about some peoples obsessions on the religous aspect of EVA. Image

Originally posted on: 21-Jan-2005, 22:39 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”