The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

NeonProdigy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonProdigy [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

tv33 wrote:Well obviously, because there is no way a Western audience would be able to comprehend anything but explosions and car chases, right?

Image It seems that way sometimes. (Is remembering when he tried to get his friend into .Hack. He thought it was boring. *sigh*)

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2004, 21:26 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

If they can make a good conversion of X-Men then they can make a good conversion of evangelion. I don't think Anno will let them make a mockery of it. If they just want big robots fighting big aliens then there are plenty of other anime's they could convert into a film.

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2004, 21:51 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

If they can make a good conversion of X-Men then they can make a good conversion of evangelion.

Uh-oh, X-men is a pretty different brand than Eva. Trust me on this.

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2004, 22:11 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Something like Gundam might be good live action as long as they don't do something completeley stupid like G-Saviour...

G-Saviour is a good example of Live-action gon really really wrong. Its like a scifi original (which I actually like) but the story is stupid and cheesy and the acting sucks (a little worse than scifi)

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2004, 23:02 GMT

Charred Knight [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charred Knight [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Ark wrote:If they can make a good conversion of X-Men then they can make a good conversion of evangelion. I don't think Anno will let them make a mockery of it. If they just want big robots fighting big aliens then there are plenty of other anime's they could convert into a film.

Thats a horrible example, X-men is a comic book meaning that it put the emphasis on action, EVA puts its emphasis on the mental problems of the cast.

Originally posted on: 24-Jun-2004, 02:40 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Ark wrote:If they can make a good conversion of X-Men then they can make a good conversion of evangelion. I don't think Anno will let them make a mockery of it. If they just want big robots fighting big aliens then there are plenty of other anime's they could convert into a film.

I agree with Dr. Nick that this is a pretty darn different situation. And furthermore, as enjoyable as X-Men is, it's pretty wierd compared to the original. Like Rogue... I wouldn't want them to take some lesser character like Hikari and then call her Asuka... or something... ... ... ...

As for Anno letting them make a mockery of it... it's very likely, artists allow that a lot.

Originally posted on: 24-Jun-2004, 02:58 GMT

Lantis745 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lantis745 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

NeonProdigy wrote:Image It seems that way sometimes. (Is remembering when he tried to get his friend into .Hack. He thought it was boring. *sigh*)

It is a slower paced anime with lots and lots of talking. I thought it was boring lots of times yet ive watched it over and over many times Image and loved it.

Originally posted on: 25-Jun-2004, 08:04 GMT

Lantis745 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lantis745 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

You also have to consider a TRUE Evangelion movie would never make it out of production. I dont have to explain your all eva fans here.

Originally posted on: 25-Jun-2004, 08:06 GMT

NeonProdigy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonProdigy [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Lantis745 wrote:It is a slower paced anime with lots and lots of talking. I thought it was boring lots of times yet ive watched it over and over many times Image and loved it.

Yay! *is happy*

Originally posted on: 24-Jun-2004, 21:52 GMT

Vanno [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vanno [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

not sure if anyone posted this site before, but there is a lot of cool news about the live action movie here http://eva.trivialbeing.net

Originally posted on: 25-Jun-2004, 00:38 GMT

Doctor Worm [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Doctor Worm [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Ark wrote:If they can make a good conversion of X-Men.

Hehe, I have a friend who would disagree with you about that. I remember he and my sister (also his girlfriend, odd, the thing of love) were having an arguement one time about the X-Men movies and she was wondering why she didn't like 'em even though he's an X-Men fan (somewhat at least) and he said he hates them, because their's some supposedly real great plots in the comics and they're already through 2 movies and they've been using plots that pale in comparrison with some of the stuff in the comic

The live action evangelion movie is currently undergoing the process of choosing a director. Until this stage has been completed, no casting or final script will be made. According to Anime Tourist, Gainax have approved a short list of directors.

Anyone want to place any "bets" on the possibilites of two directors on this list being Peter Jackson and David Lynch? Heh.

Originally posted on: 27-Jun-2004, 17:15 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

God no! Not Peter Jackson!

Besides, he's already got projects lined up for the next few years.

It's more than likely going to be someone we've never heard of at the director's helm because this isn't exactly an attractive project being a completely bad idea for a movie. I sense this will be a repeat of the Fantastic Four movie all over again.

Originally posted on: 27-Jun-2004, 21:25 GMT

Samurai Drifter [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Samurai Drifter [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

thx3876 wrote:God no! Not Peter Jackson!

...*Ahem*

Why not Peter Jackson?

Originally posted on: 04-Jul-2004, 02:17 GMT

Porkypine [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Porkypine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

In Anime Insider's latest issue, a blurb stated that ADV has narrowed down a "short list" of potential directors. So if you thought the movie had died or was in limbo, ADV is still plugging away at not making this so. They were also quoted as saying "What financial risk? It's Evangelion", or something to that effect. They seem to really want this to happen.

I for one think this movie wouldn't and couldn't work as a live action, and wish that if we see any new Evangelion it is animated (though not bloody likely).
Finally I wish ADV would stop trying to milk the Evangelion cash cow.

Originally posted on: 22-Oct-2004, 19:27 GMT

TheUserName [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheUserName [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

'Narrowed it down to some directors'...!? If they dont go ahead and use Anno then this movie will suck by default. Actually that's somewhat arrogant, as I'm sure there are many a fan out there who would do a great job if giving the chance, but that's not going to happen...

There are sooooooo' many limitations when it comes to live-action transitions from anime, especially one of Eva's proportion. The condensing of the plot and the Eva's themselves are two things which wil stick out like the biggest sore thump in history if not done right. Personally, making a trilogy would be a way around the condensing thing, although this raises more problems in itself.

Originally posted on: 22-Oct-2004, 21:58 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Porkypine wrote:They were also quoted as saying "What financial risk? It's Evangelion", or something to that effect.

That statement alone is enough to make me doubt the sanity of the people behind this effort, as if the concept by itself wasn't enough.

Originally posted on: 22-Oct-2004, 22:18 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Porkypine wrote:In Anime Insider's latest issue, a blurb stated that ADV has narrowed down a "short list" of potential directors.

Yay. Old news.

Originally posted on: 22-Oct-2004, 22:55 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 pm

If this thread turns into another "Why Live-Action Eva Will/Won't Work" thread, I will personally hunt down the offenders and behead them (or worse...). After the hugeass LAEM thread with 1,051 posts, nothing more can be said... at least at this point.

Originally posted on: 23-Oct-2004, 04:45 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Its gonna suck.

Originally posted on: 23-Oct-2004, 16:28 GMT

Porco Rosso [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •