The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:14 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:This thread has been brought back from the grave. Keep it on topic and flame free or it goes.

Is this permission to flame as much as we want?

((It would appear that some of us are))

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hear that they're making a new Neon Genesis Evangelion movie."
"Yay, we love Evangelion! It's my precious!"
"But it's different precious."
*cough cough*
"It be different?"
"Not going to be set in Japan. And they changed all the names."
"It can still be good precious."
"Cruel Hollywood change Tokyo-3 to New City. And Asuka is called Kate Rose, I mean what the f*** are they thinking?"
*cough cough*
"Yeah but the story, the story will still be good, and the special effects made by those fat guys at WETA who made us look so good in The Lord of the Rings, imagine what they'll make the Evas look like!"
"It's all digital CGI filth. Those stupid f***ing designs by those pricks at WETA workshop. [Warlocks have to? War looks up to?] do nothing with my precious little [virgin?], [with?] new city [who could have made by?] Simcity 2000. And those Evangelions are just plain f***ing ugly."
*cough cough*
"But they're so cool and vicious-looking! And look at that image of Unit 02 looking over the horizon, so beautiful it captures the anime so well, NERV headquarters looks really cool."
"Yes, but they can't be trusted, precious... noo... those [mindmongers?] at ADV will cheat Anno out of all of his royalties, and the movie will open with so many stupid brainless f***ing teenagers all talking about it. Evangelion is for smart, sophisticated people, and teenage boys with sexual problems, not stupid, mentally handicapped bloodthirsty teenage jocks!"
"So what? It will be a good movie!"
"They're going to cut out the masturbation scene, precious."
*cough cough*
"NOOOOO! Kill them! Kill them all!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW. Do i want to follow that link?

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2004, 00:18 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

That was what WETA really said or was done by fans!?

That link doesn't work

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2004, 00:46 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Goddammit, these boards keep screwing up what I'm trying to do.

Okay, you'll need to click on the link, highlight the <br> in the address bar, delete it, highlight one of the two %20s in a row, delete THAT, and press enter. That should work.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2004, 01:01 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

So this thread mysteriously vanished until the admins decided to merge the Live Action Concept Art thread into it? Me confused.

Sharp-kun already posted a link to the Gollum/Smeagol, further down on the first page of threads (at the moment, anyway). Kochi-kochi.

I think it's fairly evident that it is a fan creation. Image But thanks for the transcription, Funky Chicken. (Are you a relative of Crazy Penguin, by chance? Image) I'll listen to it again later and see if I can pick out anything additional.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2004, 01:35 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Reichu wrote:But thanks for the transcription, Funky Chicken. (Are you a relative of Crazy Penguin, by chance?)

No, but I am a close friend of Glorious Nukes. He doesn't go here. In fact, he doesn't go on the Internet much at all... and he hasn't made any music videos either... hey, just what the hell does he do anyway? He borrows my Babylon 5 DVDs and occasionally brings me something from Carl's Jr... I need to ream that bastard a new one when he wakes up.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2004, 20:13 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

originaly posted by jvgklan

If the live action EVA was geared towards an american audience like the Final Fantasy movie, then i say that it just might bomb in the box office. i believe someone wrote in this thread that Eva was every Japanese and focused on wanting to belong and accepted, while americans tend to want to be independent. I think that the Japanese aspect of the film may be more appealing to the hardcore EVA fans......i think thats what happened to Hinal Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It was made for an American audience.....

I disagree on your point about the Final Fantasy movie. The only thing that hurt the FF movie was the moniker "Final Fantasy". General audiences don't want to see a movie based on a video game (which it actualy wasn't) and fans of the video games where disappointed that it didn't have the look or feel of the video games. If it had just been released as "The Spirits Within", it would have been a lot more succesful because it is a pretty good movie.

originaly posted by zep

Evangelion live action will be made by Japanese or for americans??

That's the million dollar question. My guess would be that they would try to make it have international appeal.

originaly posted by zep

Its something really importat i think because i don't think to the fans of eva in Japan will accept a bad movie and maybe they will respect more of the important aspects of eva...

There hasn't been a succesful live-action anime adaption ever made to my knowledge. And I don't think one has ever been attempted on this scale before in either the US or Japan.

Originally posted on: 31-Jan-2004, 16:48 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm

thx3876 wrote:There hasn't been a succesful live-action anime adaption ever made to my knowledge. And I don't think one has ever been attempted on this scale before in either the US or Japan.

There was a Japanese LA version of GTO which was quite sucessful (I personally perfer it to the anime).

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 00:16 GMT

hikki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hikki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Yep, I feel the same way about GTO... I think it still holding the highest TV show rating in Japan (and that's amazing considering it aired in 1997 and things like the NHK Red/White festival usually pulls a 40% rating.. and the New Years Eve K-1 show pulled a monstorous 45% rating during the Sapp Akebono fight).

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 00:24 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

There was a Japanese LA version of GTO which was quite sucessful

A live action GTO... Yeah, I could see that working. It wouldn't require any complicated SFX since it's about everyday streetracing. I'll have to check that out.

The few anime and video game movie adaptions I have seen are horrible. La Blue Girl & Parasite Eve come to mind from Japan and Mortal Kombat & Super Mario Bros from the US.

I don't think that LAEM will turn out as bad as any of those no matter who directs it.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 01:18 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

I would love to see that, what;s the tittle?

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 03:07 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

thx3876 wrote:Mortal Kombat & Super Mario Bros from the US.

Those were based on video games, not anime, although I think there were animes based on those games as well.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 05:45 GMT

cybrX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cybrX [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

there was a movie on mario bros, and 2 movies on mortal kombat. I believe there was alos a animated version of mortal kombat made in the U.S.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 07:03 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

thx3876 wrote:The few anime and video game movie adaptions I have seen are horrible. La Blue Girl & Parasite Eve come to mind from Japan and Mortal Kombat & Super Mario Bros from the US.

Parasite Eve is a weird one... The Japanese movie is actually an adaptation of the original NOVEL, whereas SquareSoft's video game is a sequel to the novel. No connection between the movie and video game.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 13:42 GMT

elfwannabe [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby elfwannabe [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:16 pm

so, back to eva. i think one of the biggest issues is the actors they choose. considering the name changes, it would appear to be a predominatly "white" cast. this also affects the setting of the movie as well as the overall tone, because wahite characters aren't going to be dealing wiht the issues of the Japanese youth. although i think they made a good decision in aging the characters slightly to allow more flexibility with what they can do in the movie, grahically speaking.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 21:44 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

elfwannabe wrote:so, back to eva. i think one of the biggest issues is the actors they choose. considering the name changes, it would appear to be a predominatly "white" cast. this also affects the setting of the movie as well as the overall tone, because wahite characters aren't going to be dealing wiht the issues of the Japanese youth. although i think they made a good decision in aging the characters slightly to allow more flexibility with what they can do in the movie, grahically speaking.

Well personally I don't think the nationallity of the characters has half the affect that age does. Changing the ages is a terrible way to go. As far as "graphics" go... I don't know the laws. But as important nudity is to the story of Evangelion, I don't think it'd be worth it to age the characters just for that.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 22:40 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

The ages of the characters are extremely important to their individual psychologies. It would be pretty easy to slap a bikini on Rei, but changing Shinji's age to 18 would require an almost complete rewrite of his character for it to be believable.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2004, 23:15 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

The live action drama of GTO is called "GTO", saiyajin. It´s a tv series plus one movie, IIRC.

Reichu wrote:So this thread mysteriously vanished until the admins decided to merge the Live Action Concept Art thread into it? Me confused.

It was closed because a certain regular here started calling names and acting like a baby.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2004, 02:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:It was closed because a certain regular here started calling names and acting like a baby.

:emulates Spock's raised eyebrow and holds for several seconds:

Little caustic there, aren't you, O.Q.? Not that that's any different than usual...

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2004, 02:49 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

It wasn't me! It wasn't me!

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2004, 03:43 GMT

zep [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zep [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790

I don't know if somebody see this pictures but here it are... Image!

i can't find the other thread so i post in a new thread Image

Originally posted on: 03-Feb-2004, 23:06 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”