The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Kagerou wrote:The robotic plates are actually used to keep the Evangelions under control, to do their bidding, its their restraints, but they do hide the fact that they're organic.

That's what Ritsuko might say, but she's really full of nonsense. The plates that cover the Evas actually serve no function to "control" the Evas -- it's nothing but stuff lying on top of their skin. What really controls the Evas is the entry system and the void in their central nervous system it creates. I go more into it here.

The fly wrote:Kate rose is one fo the costume designers for the movie

Look closer, disillusioned padawan. The fact that under "Description" it says "Kate Rose Plug Suit" is a bit of a giveaway that "Kate Rose" is NOT the person who drew the illustration. Look even harder, and you'll see the truth.

And just in case you don't believe that Ben Wootten is the name of the illustrator, look here.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 05:50 GMT

Bowen Samdi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bowen Samdi [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Just a somewhat off topic thought; but do you think Lord of the Rings fans bitched this much when it was announced the books were being made into movies?

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 15:29 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Sachiel13 wrote:Just a somewhat off topic thought; but do you think Lord of the Rings fans bitched this much when it was announced the books were being made into movies?

Yes. They did. Some of them did, atleast.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 15:52 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Sachiel13 wrote:Just a somewhat off topic thought; but do you think Lord of the Rings fans bitched this much when it was announced the books were being made into movies?

If the ones around here are any indication, they're still bitching. (Some of them, anyway.)

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 19:32 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Yes.

We did, and yes we're still bitching.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 21:26 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Oh no, it was made into a movie. They're good movies, the general public likes them, they're not terrible at the story, they don't change the greater picture, and most of all, they're driving people to read the books, which will allow them to see what was taken out and what was changed.

Harmful, no?

But I can see why the 'fans' are complaining, because they're secret obsession is now loved by almost everyone, selfish? Yes, but I don't like sharing my obsessions that much either.

Hmmm...

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 22:20 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm

You can see at http://www.wetadigital.com/ in the Workshop site, under past projects, don't bother clicking on them. All the sites are down except the Evangelion one. Heh.

Does it matter? They're obviously good, just because they're early concept arts are a little disappointing to some doesn't mean they're a bad special effects company.

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 22:23 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Whatever my personal thoughts about those movies are, I have to admit that LOTR-fans were relatively lucky: They got a director with a vision & artistic courage and thus the movies didn't end up sucking major balls. But the question of the week is, is LAEM any director's personal, obsessed project? Nooooo...

Originally posted on: 19-Jan-2004, 22:45 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Kagerou wrote:Oh no, it was made into a movie. They're good movies, the general public likes them, they're not terrible at the story, they don't change the greater picture, and most of all, they're driving people to read the books, which will allow them to see what was taken out and what was changed.

...and didn't change their names....

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 01:11 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Kagerou wrote:Oh no, it was made into a movie. They're good movies, the general public likes them, they're not terrible at the story, they don't change the greater picture, and most of all, they're driving people to read the books, which will allow them to see what was taken out and what was changed.

Harmful, no?

But I can see why the 'fans' are complaining, because they're secret obsession is now loved by almost everyone, selfish? Yes, but I don't like sharing my obsessions that much either.

Hmmm...

Umm... why so quick to assume the worst of people?

Maybe, just maybe, people have serious reasons for not liking the movies? I'd bet money that a lot of them do. For one thing - the Scouring of the Shire was not included, and in my opinion that's one of, if not *the* most important part. Some 'say it'll be in the Extended Edition, but I am stil skeptical that it will be there. Also, the whole thing with Arwen that was never in the book, if they had forgotten about Arwen in the 3rd film, they could have fit in the Scouring of the Shire, or if not that, added in any of the other aspects that where abscent. I understand that you can't fit everything, but that doesn't mean that what they decided to put in is automatically the best possible way. (I love the movie myself, but there's no reason to assume that people that do hate the movies don't have reasons, I myself would have made some different choices.)

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 01:16 GMT

Animexcel [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Animexcel [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

i heard that the whole Shelub(sp?) aka big spider thing was suppose to happen in the two towers, oh well...

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 04:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Animexcel wrote:i heard that the whole Shelub(sp?) aka big spider thing was suppose to happen in the two towers, oh well...

I'm not sure what that has to do with WETA's butt-ugly Evas, but, ja, the Shelob encounter occurred towards the end of book 2. (And speaking of Shelob... :droolImage

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 04:45 GMT

Animexcel [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Animexcel [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm not sure what that has to do with WETA's butt-ugly Evas, but, ja, the Shelob encounter occurred towards the end of book 2. (And speaking of Shelob... :droolImage

It has to do with what was recently talked about on this thread...-o-;....LOTR

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 05:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Animexcel wrote:It has to do with what was recently talked about on this thread...-o-;....LOTR

You mean the sticky thread about LAEM, not this particular one.

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 06:52 GMT

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

saiyajin prince wrote:...and didn't change their names....

Because they were fantasy-type names and the fantasy setting was kept in the movies. In Evangelion the characters had Japanese names and were in a Japanese setting. In the movie they're going to be in an American/Pseudo-American setting and the cast will be a bunch of white guys.

Why would an American white guy be named Shinji Ikari? They wouldn't. Bitch about the root of the name problem instead.

I can't find much anger inside myself, I think I've been desensitised by things like the upcoming Catwoman movie.

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 11:55 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

I can't find much anger inside myself, I think I've been desensitised by things like the upcoming Catwoman movie.

*imagines Halle Berry as Misato* :scared:

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 12:36 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

trivialbeing.net has a scan from the latest Japanese issue of Newtype of a very confusing design painting.

WTF?

There's also a link to a petition.

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 15:15 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

thx3876 wrote:trivialbeing.net has a scan from the latest Japanese issue of Newtype of a very confusing design painting.

WTF?

There's also a link to a petition.
I would even connect that 'thing' to EVA if I weren't told otherwise... I mean, really, what is that?!

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 15:24 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:02 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I would even connect that 'thing' to EVA if I weren't told otherwise... I mean, really, what is that?!

A wild guess... Eva 03 infected by Bardiel? :???: Or a bad hair day?

And that is probably the crappiest petition ever. "HUGE fan base", in America, right? Allow me to laugh. I'm against this movie, but I'm also against this kind of public stupidity (well-executed public stupidity on the other hand can be very effective, but that's rarely seen).

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 16:25 GMT

Animexcel [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Animexcel [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:02 pm

Reichu wrote:You mean the sticky thread about LAEM, not this particular one.

uh, no. Image read above my post, ppl are talking about lotr. that's all.

Originally posted on: 20-Jan-2004, 16:53 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”