The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

_Bloodlust_ [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby _Bloodlust_ [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Interesting...

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 00:51 GMT

Mokona76 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mokona76 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

cool imgs

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 00:57 GMT

Chikyuu Senshi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chikyuu Senshi [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Wow! Thanks for the link!

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 00:57 GMT

nodoubt [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nodoubt [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 pm

sweetness

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:20 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Repulsive.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:21 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Kimochi Warui.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:26 GMT

thrice [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thrice [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm not a fan of the character designs, however the overall setting concept is quite interesting and astonishing. It seems asthough this might be a successful film. In the eyes of EVA fans of course.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:42 GMT

Kureboy99 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kureboy99 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:36 pm

wow...very cool...can;t wait Image

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:43 GMT

EVAXIII [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVAXIII [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 pm

I heard about the live action Neon Genesis in my new issue of Anime Insider.ANIME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:44 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Reichu wrote:You mean, you actually WANT to see Shinji and Kaworu get visually defiled by the hand of WETA? You should be feeling awfully lucky they haven't released anything regarding those two yet. ;;p

I just wanna get it over with, all right? Image

Kaworu, I assume isn't going to be in the movie at all. It's supposed to be based on the early series.

It's too much to hope Shinji will be spared, alas. Marketing and fandom may take popularity over placement in the story, but it would seem pretty odd if the remake didn't keep the characters in the same positions.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 01:53 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 pm

-In response to thx and others-

Well, finally somebody realizes that WETA is a freakin' special effects company, they're not doing the casting, the script, the names, the character development or anything besides the visuals and effects.

Have you ever compared early early concept art to the end result? You'd be amazed. Everybody needs to calm down and just wait it out, this movie is most likely going to happen. We aren't going to know the details at the begining, and when we do find out more, there might be things we aren't happy with.

But, if you call yourself a fan, you should at least give this a chance. This isn't going to damage the original series, even if its a total flop, everythings going to be okay. Did the failure of the Final Fantasy movie, ruin the reputation of the series? No.

I'm personally looking forward to this movie taking shape.

And finally, calm down with all the rumors, I highly doubt Hillary Duff, or the actor who plays Harry Potter is going to have any role what so ever in the movie. ADV said the film was going to have an international cast, so everybody just chill.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 02:24 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Kagerou wrote:And finally, calm down with all the rumors, I highly doubt Hillary Duff, or the actor who plays Harry Potter is going to have any role what so ever in the movie. ADV said the film was going to have an international cast, so everybody just chill.

I think "international" was just a delicate way to say "they won't all be Japanese."

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 02:26 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Kagerou wrote:-But, if you call yourself a fan, you should at least give this a chance. This isn't going to damage the original series, even if its a total flop, everythings going to be okay. Did the failure of the Final Fantasy movie, ruin the reputation of the series? No.

While most of your post was very reasonable and level headed, there are a couple of things I'd like to point out - The movie is still just as likely not to happen as it is likely to happen, without a script or studio you've got nothing but ideas. Being a fan has nothing to do with giving the movie a chance, that's an entirely absurd notion. Someone who is passionate about the series possibly wouldn't want to see the movie adapted poorly, or at all (because of the very likely downfalls). Though personally I think it could do some damage, it'd probably have a more noticable and thus worse affect if the movie was very popular, but that's just speculation.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 02:46 GMT

Cool_Vash [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cool_Vash [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 pm

anyone else wondering why Rei and Asuka's pics say "Ray" and "Kate Rose" respectively?

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:13 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks Naked,

I think I went a bit overboard on that part, I was just sick of these people not giving it a chance and just casting it aside. Yes, adaption movies are usually bad, but I'm thinking, if you like Evangelion, I would think you would want this to be good, and be hopeful especially during this period of pretty much no details and facts. I do also have to agree with you about the likely hood that this could still collapse, as supported by one of the people working on the projects comment about how a very large and ambicious project such as this, in its early stages of development can easily flop.

The main thing I fear is about the publicization of this, thats the death of projects such as these, but maybe we'll be lucky. Theres even a chance that it bombs with the general public but hits it home with the fan, I'm sure it would still be a financial disaster, but at least the fan are happy, eh?

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:14 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Kagerou wrote:-In response to thx and others-

Well, finally somebody realizes that WETA is a freakin' special effects company

Working directly with ADV, like every SFX company does.

So much so that ADV exposed their work to the Eva fans in a mass-production DVD.

Kagerou wrote:they're not doing the casting, the script, the names, the character development or anything besides the visuals and effects.

ADV is responsible for the script that Weta took the changed names from. The script has the names and character development. Depending on who the writer is, it could even have some notes on casting.

Kagerou wrote:Have you ever compared early early concept art to the end result?

Yes, every day. It´s part of my work. And guess what? We use the names in the script to label the characters.

Kagerou wrote:You'd be amazed.

No, i wouldn´t.

Kagerou wrote:Everybody needs to calm down and just wait it out, this movie is most likely going to happen.

I hope not.

Kagerou wrote:We aren't going to know the details at the begining, and when we do find out more, there might be things we aren't happy with.

We´re already unhappy.

Kagerou wrote:But, if you call yourself a fan, you should at least give this a chance. This isn't going to damage the original series, even if its a total flop, everythings going to be okay. Did the failure of the Final Fantasy movie, ruin the reputation of the series? No.

And who are you to say how a fan should act?

A lot of times, a "spin-off" can and will mess how a series/manga/book is perceived.

Some people saw Spirits Within without prior knowledge and are not going to bother with the games.

The people that saw the Street Fighter movie will never get ten feet close to the games or animes.

The "trend" over LOTR was enough to make old fans avoid discussing about it.

People that met Batman with the movies think The Joker killed Wayne´s parents.

And so on and on.

Kagerou wrote:I'm personally looking forward to this movie taking shape.

Good for you.

Kagerou wrote:And finally, calm down with all the rumors, I highly doubt Hillary Duff, or the actor who plays Harry Potter is going to have any role what so ever in the movie. ADV said the film was going to have an international cast, so everybody just chill.

International like every damn action movie.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:23 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm so glad we have a thread like this in all the forums on this site I goto, it makes me so I'm never far away from one. Image

Some Theories on the naming:

Illustrators (Pen)Name
WETA Trickery
Characters Renamed

We won't know for sure for probably some while, so just wait it out, don't jump to rumors or conclusions just yet.

Also, don't make a big fus about how the characters look in those images, WETA is the special effects company after all, they're not doing the casting, scripting or anything. I'm guessing they're probably just using this for the plugsuit designs.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:33 GMT

Chrono [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chrono [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm

all the character designs suck!

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:54 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Oh, how I joy having a thread ripped piece by piece apart and responded to in a not very polite matter-of-fact tone. Sorry for just posting my opinions, and I'm sorry that my comments don't go along with your expertise.

I was pointing out that WETA was the special effects company, which means they're doing the special effects. Yes, they work with ADV, yes that get information, scripts, things from ADV, but what I was trying to get across was that they aren't ADV.

Also, a lot changes from early pre-production to the end result, of course these aren't the final designs, so I was trying to calm everyone down who was complaining about them. These most likely won't be what you will see in the show, if you do see a show.

I apologise that you aren't going to be surprised by comparing early concept art to the final form, but hopefully others without your experience would, and will.

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:54 GMT

Kagerou [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kagerou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 pm

This is a live-action movie, the special effects company is going to be making the actors so don't be mad, the focus point of those is suppose to be the plugsuits. The artist who drew that could of not known anything about how the characters are going to be at that time, just needed to put somebody in the suit, and had a tad of an idea what the characters looked like from seeing the originals.

I give you permission to complain when we get the castings Image

Originally posted on: 18-Jan-2004, 03:58 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”