The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:20 pm

tv33 wrote:But I agree, Nerv (As well as Toyko-3) looked very real, and practical. It was a nice change that made it different from most animes with secret agencies. And added very nicely to the atmosphere of the show.

Well, Tokyo-3 wasn't altogether practical. I mean, they were counting on the area right above the Geofront eventually being a place where the Evas and Angels would duke it out, which is why the city is capable of going into "battle formation". But wouldn't it just have been easier/safer to have all of the big buildings further away where they wouldn't HAVE to be withdrawn underground? I would have thought that'd be the more logical choice...

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 00:01 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:20 pm

thx3876 wrote:I've heard this before. Yes, I think George Lucas borrowed a bit from the Western genre. But calling it a Western is a bit far-fetched.

7. Let's get over it.

I don't understand how you deduced that from any of my prior statements. But no, That's not what I mean.

I think it's in an interview with him

7 But it's so fun

when you said that because I liked EU I'm not a Star Wars fan.

I hope those aren't the names that they end up using

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 00:25 GMT

cybrX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cybrX [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:25 pm

I have seen the 27 sketches and must say this, what the hell is gainax thinking allowing these retards to make this film!!!!!!!
The city sucks, why the hell do they try to make everything so futuristic?? And who the hell is ''ray''? and kate rose?
That looks nothing like Rei and Asuka, they cant just make **** up, they must stay true to the tv series, they made them look like american bimboes with huge asses. Where did those retarded asses come from? Cos i sure as hell dont think any Japanese anime character would have that ***! No way would i now allow these halfwits do this film after seeing these americanised sketches. Th is suppoesed to be an EVANGELION film, not some ****ing star ship troopers cg work. I dont like it at all, personally i wont buy it if any of those are in the film, and i am an evangelion fan, but i have my limits, the only thing that i think would make this film great if they allowed the Japanese to work on it, they are essential, otherwise it just wont have that original appealling style.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 00:47 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:26 pm

cybrX wrote:Th is suppoesed to be an EVANGELION film, not some ****ing star ship troopers cg work.

I seriously hope you're refering to the modern film of "Starship Troopers" not Heinlein's Orginal novel. Actually, now that I think about it Evangelion will recieve pretty much the same treatment as Starship Troopers did (i,e. the writers paying no respect to the original work and transforming a complex story into a mindless action film).

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 01:02 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

when you said that because I liked EU I'm not a Star Wars fan.

Sorry if I implied that. Yes, arguing is quite a hoot, though. Image

I don't soppose any Shinji (or whatever he's going to be called) designs have surfaced yet, huh? I guess they don't want to kill us all at once.

So Joan Jett is playing Misato, huh? Image I'll have to admit my faith in LAEM dropped a big notch with that design painting. I'm still hoping, though.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 01:06 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

I think the Tokyo-3 designs look more futuristic because it is likely and probably smart of them to move the timeline of the story up a decade or so. This would keep any of the backstory evevnts from running into present time.

I don't think the Rei/Ray & Asuka/Kate Rose (stupid names btw)designs look bad per say, but I agree they look much too old.

Huge asses?

*thanks GandalfsWhisper for throwing props to Robert Anson Heinlein*

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 01:22 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

thx3876 wrote:I don't soppose any Shinji (or whatever he's going to be called) designs have surfaced yet, huh? I guess they don't want to kill us all at once.

C.J. Icarus, don't you remember that great theory?

i still say that most EU is better ten Episode 1&2,

I have yet to encounter any EU worse than Episode 1.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 01:36 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

C.J. Icarus, don't you remember that great theory?

That one was you, huh? I don't know. Isn't that greek or something? My guess would be Shawn or something if they're gonna keep giving them all these totaly white-bread Americanized names like Ray & Kate.

I have yet to encounter any EU worse than Episode 1.

And I have yet to encounter any EU better than The Phantom Menace. And Attack Of The Clones is one of my all-time favorate movies alongside End of Evangelion and the 1976 remake of King Kong.

Chewie Lives! Whichever one of those Trekkie EU authors it was that killed Chewie needs to die.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:01 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

thx3876 wrote:That one was you, huh? I don't know. Isn't that greek or something? My guess would be Shawn or something if they're gonna keep giving them all these totaly white-bread Americanized names like Ray & Kate.

And I have yet to encounter any EU better than The Phantom Menace. And Attack Of The Clones is one of my all-time favorate movies alongside End of Evangelion and the 1976 remake of King Kong.

Chewie Lives! Whichever one of those Trekkie EU authors it was that killed Chewie needs to die.

not me, but I liked the idea. what's wrong with Blacks or latinos?

Atttack was okay, but i must quote my somethingeth cousin so many times removed "...Episode 2 was almost Star Wars."
I'm hoping that this is going to be the opposite of Matrix. Matrix went excellent, decent, horrible. so far after the classic trilogy Star wars is horrible, decent.

Chewie never should've died. I see why they did it, but only Lucas should be allowed to do something like that to Star Wars. Some of the new stuff is quite interesting. I like Vergere's mind games. Traitor is worth reading, Thrawn is worth reading, Rebel Dream, Rebel... Dawn i think, are worth reading, not much else stands out.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:10 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

thx3876 wrote:That one was you, huh? I don't know. Isn't that greek or something? My guess would be Shawn or something if they're gonna keep giving them all these totaly white-bread Americanized names like Ray & Kate.

Icarus is the son of Daedalus a great engineer who was imprisoned in a huge tower on an island for some reason. Daedelus created wax wings so that he and his son could escape. He warned his son not to fly to close to the sun because his wings would melt, but the boy didn't heed his father and flew too high which melted the wings, he fell to earth and drowned.

(On a semi-related topic: Iron Maiden has a song called "The Flight of Icarus" about the myth)

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:11 GMT

funnylookingdog [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby funnylookingdog [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

There's some amazing looking production designs for the Evangelion movie at Aint It Cool News. I must say those designs are looking very good, but there is one thing that I'm really not digging. Look really closely at the names on the designs of Asuka and Rei. Not Cool. And who the hell is that other person? Sure it may be a small detail in the big picture of things, but it doesn't feel right to me. Follow the link, check it out, and post your comments.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:12 GMT

goddessofanime [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goddessofanime [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

I can't wait to see this...just for all the people who love this series to say, 'They f**ked up'

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:15 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm

GandalfsWhisper wrote:Icarus is the son of Daedalus a great engineer who was imprisoned in a huge tower on an island for some reason.

Daedalus was imprisoned on the island after he built an inescapable labyrinth to house the kings Minotaur son. Because he built it, he was the only one who knew its secrets, and was imprisoned because the king feared he would give its secrets away.

The Minotaur was given a periodic tribute of youths and maidens as food until he was killed by Theseus, after his girlfriend was chosen to be the sacrifice. He found he way out by a string he left at the entrance that he unwound as he went, and then followed it back to the entrance.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:19 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:29 pm

What I hate most is that the character designs look nothing like the actual characters. Apart from already changing their names, they had to go make the characters more Americanized and might I add ugly as hell....just look at Misato!

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:22 GMT

helba [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby helba [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:29 pm

wow

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:25 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:30 pm

tv33 wrote:Daedalus was imprisoned on the island after he built an inescapable labyrinth to house the kings Minotaur son. Because he built it, he was the only one who knew its secrets, and was imprisoned because the king feared he would give its secrets away.

Good. I was hoping someone would post the reason (because I wanted to know).

Thanks tv33.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 02:25 GMT

funnylookingdog [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby funnylookingdog [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Oh my thread in movies got deleted and my post moved. I should have known there would already be a thread in series specific. Anyway I have just found out from the AICN talk back that aparently Kate Rose could just be the costume designer for Asuka's plug suit. I checked her IMDB entry and it doesn't list Evangelion, but it's still early in production. Perhaps that means that "Ray" and "Susan" aren't aren't character names but designers from Weta. It's something to hope for anyway.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 03:20 GMT

kamidake90 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kamidake90 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

Well there is some good that will come out of this, all of the Eva fans out there will now understand a Gundam fan's distress when referring to Wing.

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 04:08 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

kamidake90 wrote:Well there is some good that will come out of this, all of the Eva fans out there will now understand a Gundam fan's distress when referring to Wing.

I would think a more accurate comparison would be "how gundam fans feel about G-Savior"

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 04:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm

funnylookingdog wrote:Perhaps that means that "Ray" and "Susan" aren't aren't character names but designers from Weta. It's something to hope for anyway.

Um... no. Those pictures have the character designers' names right on them, and they're not "Ray", "Susan", or "Kate".

How surprising that there are more complaints about the Lilim than the Evas. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Jan-2004, 04:36 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”