The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Everything in this thread has been related in some faculty to the LAEM (Live Action Eva Movie, pronounced "LAY-EM")

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 02:35 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

If i recall correctly, it's supposed to be a western.

Because I like something better than I like part of Star Wars, I don't like Star Wars.

Nobody here, could be the fan of 2 things unless they liked both equally. That's what I make of your logic.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 02:42 GMT

Zack_theIceMan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zack_theIceMan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

BeyonderZ wrote:Here is a crazy Idea.... how about this movie NEVER GETS MADE... that would be the best thing to happen... what moron really thinks a Live Action Evangelion movie would be in any way shape or form any thing but a vomit bag of dubbie love.

:evil:

Well, I expect it to be fairly good, myself...Guess that makes me a moron, right? Image

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 03:15 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 pm

I hope it does get made. It'll be interesting...

I kinda doubt it'll happen, though.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 03:19 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

BeyonderZ wrote:Here is a crazy Idea.... how about this movie NEVER GETS MADE... that would be the best thing to happen... what moron really thinks a Live Action Evangelion movie would be in any way shape or form any thing but a vomit bag of dubbie love.

:evil:

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but, as it stands, unless a major studio gets involved, I don't think it will ever get out of pre-production, since, even if ADV is making revenue of between $70-150 million a year, I don't think ADV and Gainax together can afford to risk $100 million+ on something which may well flop.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 03:29 GMT

Arsinol [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arsinol [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Great, take an overhyped anime that most people can't understand even with over 20 episodes and make a crappy 2 and half to 3 hour live action movie that couldn't possibly cover every important aspect of the story.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 03:37 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

If a studio did sign on board and did greenlight it, it would be closer to two hours and left open-ended. Three hours would be far too big a risk on a franchise that isn't nearly as well-known nor cherished as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, since one extra hour means one less showing per screen per day. If it bombed, they wouldn't greenlight any more, but, if it was successful, then they'd make a sequel and cover more of the story.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 03:43 GMT

PrinceAshitaka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PrinceAshitaka [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

This thread is 38 pages of whine. It gave me a headache reading everybody say the same thing over and over. If you don't want the Evangelion anime to be ruined by the live action, or you know it wont ruin it you just know it'll suck, or whatever you thinking, then dont ****ing see it. Problem solved.

P.S. I know all you Eva fans are going to anyway lol.

That would be so weird if you all loved it.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 04:52 GMT

eGman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eGman [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm extremely interested... for the visual effects alone. I have quite a bit of faith in Weta Digital. I've been following them long before Lord of the Rings.... I think it was "The Frightners" that first brought Weta to my attention.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 05:04 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

If you actually read the entire thread you'd know that it's actually 38 pages of whining about The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. The point isn't whether we like it, the point (well at least my point) is that it will (if it ever happens) disgrace Anno's creative vision.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 05:14 GMT

Undrave [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Undrave [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Didn't they already published some production sketches in the Japanese Newtype? I'd go see that movie.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 05:27 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Production sketches are just what you come up with at the earliest stages of pre-production. No one's denying that this thing is in pre-production, just the question as to whether or not it will ever actually get into production is far from certain, since no real movie studio is involved. A lot of movies go into pre-production and get sketches drawn and scripts written and even a few props made. Some movies even make it into production but then get cancelled because of unfortunate circumstances, like Terry Gilliam's Man of La Mancha.

I think the primary purpose of the sketches is to show them to studios and try and get them interested.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 05:55 GMT

HardRevingBoi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HardRevingBoi [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Well I was in Best Buy today and saw Eva: Director edition and it on the cover it said "preview of Eva live action movie" or something along that line but since am not a big Eva fan I wasn't going to get it anyway. Could that be a trailer to the movie it self???

Oh yea Eva box set cost $129.99 and Trigun box set for $199.99....crazy huh?

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 06:31 GMT

Kiyone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiyone [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm

What that is is a couple scenes from the demo reel, or maybe the complete demo reel, which Weta did for them, the primary purpose of which, I believe, is to have something to show the studios when they're pitching their film so that the studio execs so that the studio execs will get some idea as to what the big money effects shots will look like.

Or it may be one of those rip-off teaser trailers that just shows a logo and nothing else.

They can't have actual clips from a film which doesn't exist at this point in time.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 06:58 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm

HardRevingBoi wrote:Well I was in Best Buy today and saw Eva: Director edition and it on the cover it said "preview of Eva live action movie" or something along that line but since am not a big Eva fan I wasn't going to get it anyway. Could that be a trailer to the movie it self???

It´s an interview with Weta. They are not even in pre-production (considering there´s no director and producers to approve the script yet), so it´s just a buncha bullshit.

The best part? Let me quote a review by asagiri2040 on the AOD forums:

"It's amusing and somewhat terrifying to see the full conceptual model sheets for some of the outfits and realizing that they're being labeled with names such as Ray and Kate Rose and Susan Whitnell"

RAY.

KATE ROSE.

SUSAN WHITNELL.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 19:53 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:"It's amusing and somewhat terrifying to see the full conceptual model sheets for some of the outfits and realizing that they're being labeled with names such as Ray and Kate Rose and Susan Whitnell"

Hmmm, I wonder whether my Shinji Ikari -> CJ Icarus idea will survive... ^o^

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 22:33 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm

PrinceAshitaka wrote:This thread is 38 pages of whine. It gave me a headache reading everybody say the same thing over and over. If you don't want the Evangelion anime to be ruined by the live action, or you know it wont ruin it you just know it'll suck, or whatever you thinking, then dont ****ing see it. Problem solved.

P.S. I know all you Eva fans are going to anyway lol.

That would be so weird if you all loved it.

Good lord man, if you don't want to read our replies I have a simple answer for you: don't read them! Problem solved. Unlike our personal posts, the Evangelion live action movie would have an affect on general fandom that reaches beyond this single thread. And you obviously did a very half-assed and weak job of reading our replies, since a lot of the discussion was completely about The Lord of the Rings.

Originally posted on: 14-Jan-2004, 23:48 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Good lord man, if you don't want to read our replies I have a simple answer for you: don't read them! Problem solved. Unlike our personal posts, the Evangelion live action movie would have an affect on general fandom that reaches beyond this single thread. And you obviously did a very half-assed and weak job of reading our replies, since a lot of the discussion was completely about The Lord of the Rings.

Hey, two pages were Star Wars. My questions haven't been answered yet.

I really want to see what the names willl be. There are interesting possibilities.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2004, 00:27 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm

My questions haven't been answered yet.

What questions are those?

really want to see what the names willl be. There are interesting possibilities.

I guess that all depends on whether the studio that picks it up decides to "internationalize" or "Americanize" things a bit. Hopefully not the latter at least.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2004, 01:20 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Caine wrote:If i recall correctly, it's supposed to be a western.

Because I like something better than I like part of Star Wars, I don't like Star Wars.

Nobody here, could be the fan of 2 things unless they liked both equally. That's what I make of your logic.

these questions

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2004, 01:58 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”