The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Rei is not an albino, atleast I see no reason to think that.

It's true that in the series itself, it is never actualy stated that Rei is an albino. In fact, the blue hair probably has more to do with anime tradition than any "real world" explanation. (Like Misato's purple hair, for instance) Most of us, along with other "official" explainations, have just assumed that Rei is an albino because of the red eyes and, yes, pale complexion.

But in a live action movie you would have to be obvious as to whether she was albino or not. Even if she is portrayed as an all-out albino doesn't mean she can't be attractive. Of course I don't think she should be portrayed as a sexy type of attractive the same as Misato, but a more plain/motherly type of "cute", instead. Plus she's a 14 year old girl and there's enough overly sexualized teenagers in pop culture already.

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 08:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Rei's "brand of perfection" doesn't mean much, since she ripped all/most of her genes from somebody else. But, like I said... Fanboy arguments of this sort = :yawn:.

Rei's skin is actually very light in comparison to the other characters in the series (and, yes, it is lighter than Yui's); Kaworu's probably the only one who has her beat in that department. It's never stated that Rei is an albino, of course, but I personally believe that's the case. Pale skin, unpigmented eyes, pale hair (it's a pale shade of blue that you don't usually see in anime characters) -- pigment-based differences that are the only way she differs physically from her genome provider. Or, in the NGE world, it might just be some sort of weird side effect of creating a Lilim from the biomass of a glowing white uber-entity (note also: Kaworu) -- makes me wonder why all of the Evas ended up with dark skin instead, but whatever.

Let's hope they shoot the whole movie in B&W. That way, the problem of hair color becomes completely moot. Since, you know, what color live-action Rei's hair is is obviously the most critical aspect of getting this adaptation done correctly. ;;p

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 21:35 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Reichu wrote:makes me wonder why all of the Evas ended up with dark skin instead, but whatever.

I have wondered about that before. Perhaps it was a nasty side effect of all the armor they stuck on the Eva's. Seeing as how the unarmored Harpies are as white as I am.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 22:58 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Reichu wrote:Rei's "brand of perfection" doesn't mean much, since she ripped all/most of her genes from somebody else. But, like I said... Fanboy arguments of this sort = :yawn:.

Yeah, 'cause she looks exactly like Yui, right? Though, when you consider it that way, she might as well be a clone of Misato, or Fuyutsuki, since her & Yui have very little in common physically. By the way, I didn't know discussing Rei's physical being and characteristics was a fanboy argument... maybe if I said "Yo, Rei is like so hot, dude" :crush: wait, scratch that, I'm not at all opposed to saying that. As far as Rei's brand of perfection goes, I'm still lost on exactly *how* Rei was created, but whatever happened worked quite outstandingly. Image

I still refuse to beleive Rei is albino. It's not like there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't see any evidence. Seems like too much of a long shot, just a theory to me. Most of the characters have pale skin in some shots, in the AN title bar they're all albino. Plus, her hair isn't like shockingly pale or anything, it goes from quite dark blue, to quite light blue, at different parts of the series. Hair does that kind of thing.. or atleast mine does, too bad it's not blue.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 23:27 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:Yeah, 'cause she looks exactly like Yui, right? Though, when you consider it that way, she might as well be a clone of Misato, or Fuyutsuki, since her & Yui have very little in common physically.

Are you kidding? They have the very similar face, the only difference is that Rei is younger looking, for obvious reasons (And of course has red eyes and blue hair). They even have a similar hair style.

I always thought Yui was a beautiful woman. But in a "I want to rest my head in her lap while she strokes my temples" sort of way...

*Looks at avatar*
Oh God! Forgive me Gendo-sama! I am not worthy!

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 00:29 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

thx3876 wrote:I
But in a live action movie you would have to be obvious as to whether she was albino or not. Even if she is portrayed as an all-out albino doesn't mean she can't be attractive. Of course I don't think she should be portrayed as a sexy type of attractive the same as Misato, but a more plain/motherly type of "cute", instead. Plus she's a 14 year old girl and there's enough overly sexualized teenagers in pop culture already.

'Motherly type of cute'? I don't know, I wouldn't want to see a 14 year old girl and say "Woah, she's cute, I wish she was my Mum." Image

Granted, I can agree with you that they should definetly not overly sexualize her... (atleast/especailly in her body movements and that kind of thing) though, since the series is sort of through Shinji's eyes, being the 14 year old guy he is, it'd be kinda weird for the movie concept people to portray Rei as some kind of little cutie, or motherly figure, just a simple good looking 14 year old is what would make sense to me. The target audience for this movie would probably be around 16 or something anyway, I don't think they'd be able to sell the movie to a wide range of adults.

tv33 - You may be right, I don't look at Yui all that much, she's never struck me as someone that looks much like Rei, but I've never been one to have normal perceptions. I probably end up seeing what I want to see... though I still say there's no way Rei is an albino.

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 01:25 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:'Motherly type of cute'? I don't know, I wouldn't want to see a 14 year old girl and say "Woah, she's cute, I wish she was my Mum." Image

I think the point is that to Shinji she emanated a mother like vibe, or warmth (For obvious reasons). As Shinji said in episodes 15

Shinji: Oh, when we were cleaning the room today, when you were wringing
the floor cloth.
You looked like a mother then.

Rei: A mother?

Shinji: Yeah.
Yeah, that was just like a mother's way of wringing.
I bet you'll become a housewife.
(Laugh).

Her mother like vibe also might have to do with her being the mother of humanity as well.

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 01:42 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:I think the point is that to Shinji she emanated a mother like vibe, or warmth (For obvious reasons). As Shinji said in episodes 15

Her mother like vibe also might have to do with her being the mother of humanity as well.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Still, I don't think they should try to give Rei a motherly appeal, mainly because I don't know how they'd actually try and do that, especailly since we don't usually have cleaning time at American schools. I think the 'regular 14 year old girl' is still the right way to go, but I see were the 'motherly cute' thing is coming from atleast. Note that Shinji looks at Rei a lot, and if I remember correctly, that's the only time he comments about how motherly she is. (Or maybe that's just because he talks to her only once every so often.. uhh scratch that)

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 03:52 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:especailly since we don't usually have cleaning time at American schools.

We use to clean our room in elementary school. Image

NakedEYE666 wrote:Note that Shinji looks at Rei a lot, and if I remember correctly, that's the only time he comments about how motherly she is. (Or maybe that's just because he talks to her only once every so often.. uhh scratch that)

He also brings it up in episode 24

Shinji: Ayanami Rei,
It may be correct... that impression.
My mom's ...
Rei and my Mom...
What is my Father doing for these two?

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 04:01 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

:complain: My pain increases as every moment passes between the current time and the last time I watched all of Evangelion... (I'm actually trying to decide if I should get the box set...)

Uhh.... anyway.... uhhh.... there are still all those scenes where Shinji's watching Rei like at the Gym at school, and at the pool in that one episode... and... plenty of times, yeah.

I don't know about you tv33, but I don't think we should convert these pilots into elementary school kids Image

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 04:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

tv33 wrote:I have wondered about that before. Perhaps it was a nasty side effect of all the armor they stuck on the Eva's. Seeing as how the unarmored Harpies are as white as I am.

It's not. In the fuzzy panning shot the Two-Headed Marshmallow Monster (i.e., Shogouki and Lilith joined at the hip), Sho already has dark skin. That's just the way she is. 00, 02, and 03 are, accordingly, also "darkies".

Also, I don't personally believe the harpies necessarily have white skin as part of their "natural" condition. The only part of them you see "unarmored" is their heads after they've undergone their creepy metamorphoses, and that probably doesn't say much about their original states.

Rei doesn't do much for me (personally, she tends to either scare the willies out of me or annoy me, depends on the episode), though I find Yui appealing, in her own way. That calm, reassured, vaguely spaced-out look, that quaint little smile... Yui was a woman who had it all figured out. And now she's an Eva and even more worthy of my pseudo-idolatry. :crush:

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 07:13 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Reichu wrote:(personally, she tends to either scare the willies out of me...

Wait isn't that a good thing? She scares the willies out of you, if she gave you the willies I could understand, but if she gets rid of them... Image

Though some of Rei's scenes are meant to be scary I think. Like when Gendo finds her down in the depths of Nerv in EoE and she gives him that death stare. :scared: (Not to mention all of the mutilated marsh mellow scenes)

I always love the contrast of the strong Rei (both as a pilot and as a God) compared to the broken sad little girl who just wanted a hug, and to know who she was, and why she was here. *sniff*

I am going to need a minute...

Reichu wrote:(though I find Yui appealing, in her own way. That calm, reassured, vaguely spaced-out look, that quaint little smile... Yui was a woman who had it all figured out. And now she's an Eva and even more worthy of my pseudo-idolatry. :crush:

Yui is portrayed as being the only sane person in Eva, though some of the things she did were a bit off a center, like marrying Gendo. I of course see nothing wrong with this but to most it is quite a perplexing choice on Yui's part.

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 07:59 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

tv33 wrote:Yui is portrayed as being the only sane person in Eva, though some of the things she did were a bit off a center, like marrying Gendo. I of course see nothing wrong with this but to most it is quite a perplexing choice on Yui's part.

I don't know about her being the only sane person, I mean Fuyutsuki was almost completely sane, his only strange behavior was not objecting to Gendo's plans (which is comparable to Yui marrying Gendo).

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 20:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:I always love the contrast of the strong Rei (both as a pilot and as a God) compared to the broken sad little girl who just wanted a hug, and to know who she was, and why she was here. *sniff*

Ah, but Rei as pilot and Rei as a "sad little girl" are both fabrications -- part of a false identity, not truly aspects of who she is. Now, questions like "Who is Lilith?" and "Why is Lilith here?" -- those are the sorts of things that interest me. (This is Lilith sans the false Lilim sub-identity. The original Lilith. The TRUE Lilith!! :evilImage Uber-entities shouldn't have to worry about the petty mortal matters Rei occupies herself with for most of the show. Image

Yui is portrayed as being the only sane person in Eva, though some of the things she did were a bit off a center, like marrying Gendo. I of course see nothing wrong with this but to most it is quite a perplexing choice on Yui's part.

And, quite cleverly, the series not once depicts the couple interacting with each other. (Metaphysical scenes in 26 and 26' notwithstanding -- but those don't really count.) So we have pretty much no sense of the dynamics between Yui and Gendou, no sense of what drew them together, and such. I get the sense that Yui felt some sort of pity for her little Gen-chan -- but what about love? No matter... Haven't we discussed all this before? Image

And Fuyutsuki may not be "The One", but, ja, aside from his unspeakable lusts Image, he's pretty level-headed, too. But he's just the grumpy old mentor -- I.M.O., not as cool as the science-geek chick who sacrifices her humanity and freedom to save the future. (Or something like that.) I always get a kick out of Kouzou's sardonic comments, though. "We'll have to draw the map again...!"

On a random note, I've posted more in this thread than anyone else -- 46 times, in fact. I make myself sad. :bawling:

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 14:29 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Reichu wrote:Ah, but Rei as pilot and Rei as a "sad little girl" are both fabrications -- part of a false identity, not truly aspects of who she is.

That was the most important part of Rei's segment in episode 25

Rei: Why do you have a false mind and a false body?

Rei: Not false, for I am I.

Rei said it best

Rei: I am I.
I've become me through the instrumentality of the links
between me and others.

As she said, "Rei" is not a false identity. That became her identity, she became Rei because of her interaction with others, the same way any of us find our identity.

Reichu wrote:Haven't we discussed all this before? Image

I think we have discussed everything in this forum before, but that never stopped us. Image

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 16:00 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Reichu wrote:Ah, but Rei as pilot and Rei as a "sad little girl" are both fabrications -- part of a false identity, not truly aspects of who she is. Now, questions like "Who is Lilith?" and "Why is Lilith here?" -- those are the sorts of things that interest me. (This is Lilith sans the false Lilim sub-identity. The original Lilith. The TRUE Lilith!! :evilImage Uber-entities shouldn't have to worry about the petty mortal matters Rei occupies herself with for most of the show. Image
I'm afraid that your curious antipathy to Rei (to which opinion, don't misunderstand, you are as entitled as the most rabid, drooling Rei-fan is to theirs) occasionally seems to serve as an obstacle to your appreciation of some of what I would consider the more profound points of Evangelion. Anno obviously has borrowed a great many Judeo-Christian concepts, and filtered them through his Eastern sensibilities (not to mention his own Humanistic and Free-thinking philosophy), and the religious-philosophical hash that we see on display in EVA is the result.
One of the Western religious notions that are sliced, diced and thrown into the hash is the idea of a divine entity being born into the world as a human (i.e. Jesus); Rei is EVA's Jesus figure, as is, in a diferent way, Shinji. (The Eastern concept of Duality means that Anno feels no compunction about having more than one Christ figure in his story...) Think about it; Lilith is mutilated and crucified, and Rei is brought into the world through a sort of Immaculate Conception (no father), and so on...and, of course Shinji is crucifed, with stigmata etc, in Ep26'; also, do I need to point out that the last we see of Rei, she is walking on water (OK, standing on the Sea of LCL, but you get what I mean), just like JC...

PS check out this thread, where I offer a pictorial examination of Rei's role in the story...

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 17:04 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

While we're on the topic of sane people (though, granted it may be a short discussion on an EVA forum), what about Kaji? I'd say he's pretty sane, I mean he knew what he was doing, what was going to happen, he had no regrets, he just lived life. Kinda reminds me of Jim Morrison.... though I could say that about many people.

As far as Rei goes, I don't see how you could say her identity is a false one. Unless, your assumption of what an intendity, person, soul, reality, is different than mine. Rei did indeed say it best, thanks for posting that tv33. (Sometimes the fact that you have all this stuff at your beck & call scares me... wait, did you write down every line Rei says, because that would be so great)

Shin-seiki, Anno actually read the bible right? Lately I've taken to the hobby of reading passages out of The Revelation and then interpreting (well, when applicable, usually when Jesus is saying something) them, though they almost always end up in the messege that overcoming God is the way to salvation. I'd be willing to bet Anno got some inspiration from that (albiet it's a good place for inspiration, far-out concepts man), but if he didn't specifically draw from that, it definetly aligns itself with Evangelion, because in Jesus's speech near the beggining of the Revelation he mentions clearly that those who overcome God will get the same honor and reward as those who followed & lived by his word. Then he continiues to say, though this part could potentially be interpreted differently, he says that those who followed God are weak, and powerless to go against him. Oh and I forgot the earlier part where he says that the people who are willing to die and fight must strengthen themselves (not unlike the Eva-Project after the 2nd Impact, preparing for the coming of God's judgement) and that this will result in a new God.

Okay enough Bible for now....

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 17:36 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:I'm afraid that your curious antipathy to Rei ... occasionally seems to serve as an obstacle to your appreciation of some of what I would consider the more profound points of Evangelion.

On an intellectual level, I dig all of the points people (such as yourself) have made about her. On a personal level, though, her character continues to irritate me. (She's actually one of the things about NGE that drives me to commit the deadly sin of fanfic-writing... but nevermind that... -o-Image All of the things I like about NGE's version of Lilith, Rei pretty much goes and ruins for me (so I go and separate the two in my mind so that I can still hold the white blob in adoration). And all of the things I like about Rei herself, she ruins for me on her own accord. Blah. I'll admit my "curious antipathy" is pret-ty weird, but look at it this way: Rei fanboys boggle me as much as I no doubt boggle them. Image

Some random questions, though... (Mostly to be annoying. Image)

- Why should Armisael give a damn whether Rei "wants to be one with Ikari-kun"?
- If Rei "wants to be one with Ikari-kun", why is Armisael embracing YUI's head? ("Ikari-kun" is in Yui's back, not her head, you silly angel.)
- Isn't YUI the one who was really crucified? I mean, she got bloody holes through her palms; all Shinji suffers from are little dark spots. (Not really fair, in my opinion... Yui-sama's doing all the work, and Shinji gets to be "god". What a croc.)
- If Rei-III's memory was so spotty, how'd she remember all of her enigmatic adoration for Shinji, anyway?

And just to point out another thing, Rei isn't standing on the sea of blood (that's not LCL! didn't we have an argument about this before?) -- she's levitating above it. Look closely at her feet and the little, barely visible shadow (yes, yes, I know the foreground is distracting Image)...

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 17:37 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:(Sometimes the fact that you have all this stuff at your beck & call scares me... wait, did you write down every line Rei says, because that would be so great)

No, Shin-seiki was kind enough to point me in the direction of the Literal Translation Project. I have a good deal of the line of the show memorized, but they are usually slightly off. So when I need a direct quote I find it quite useful. The script is not the same as the show, but it is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 17:47 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm

tv33 wrote:No, Shin-seiki was kind enough to point me in the direction of the Literal Translation Project. I have a good deal of the line of the show memorized, but they are usually slightly off. So when I need a direct quote I find it quite useful. The script is not the same as the show, but it is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Oh, well that's pretty cool to I guess Image

But just so you know, I do intend to write down every thing Rei says (and more) eventually, but right now I'm hung up about whether or not I actually care about director's cut scenes and crappy cover art...

Originally posted on: 01-Jan-2004, 17:53 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”