The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:08 pm

The books on LOTR turned out to be that way cause it helps the sales of the books(I believe it increased the sales by 1000%), so if the eva movie is unpopular, the marketing should remain relatively clean from the movie's influence. But ADV might be stuborn enough to push the eva characters and marketing even after obvious failure(if it fails) than it would be a true disaster, in my opinion.

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2003, 07:27 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:08 pm

I still think that new American stuff ( like a Saturday morning cartoon) would damage the name and flood stores and the internet with stuff related to it. The plot will obviously be marketed to the general american audiences. I just hope that they also keep the original fans in mind.

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:09 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Caine wrote:I still think that new American stuff ( like a Saturday morning cartoon) would damage the name and flood stores and the internet with stuff related to it. The plot will obviously be marketed to the general american audiences. I just hope that they also keep the original fans in mind.

Yes indeed, like they did with the Lord of the Rings (though they still took out a whole lot... I'm dissapointed Gandalf did not have the ring on in the end, that part I always knew would look specifically cool on film)

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:14 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:09 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Yes indeed, like they did with the Lord of the Rings

I have not seen that with Lord of the Rings. What I have seen is three movies that stayed close to the original, as well as renewed interest in the books. I cant tell you how many people I have seen on campus with a copy of the books in their hand. I did see any where near the number of people interested in the books years ago.

I hope that can happen with Eva, but I always fear the worst.

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:30 GMT

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:09 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Yes indeed, like they did with the Lord of the Rings (though they still took out a whole lot... I'm dissapointed Gandalf did not have the ring on in the end, that part I always knew would look specifically cool on film)

Yes he did. They just didn't point it out.

My main concern is that the Evangelion film could be better compared to LXG rather than LOTR. Mainstream audiences wouldn't aware of the source material; to them, the name would just be forever synonymous with a crappy movie that refuses to slip away for good.

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:35 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:10 pm

tv33 wrote:I have not seen that with Lord of the Rings. What I have seen is three movies that stayed close to the original, as well as renewed interest in the books. I cant tell you how many people I have seen on campus with a copy of the books in their hand. I did see any where near the number of people interested in the books years ago.

I hope that can happen with Eva, but I always fear the worst.

Yes that is true, though the ammount of people that see the movies and not read the books dissapoint me, I liked RotK but it was barely a crumb compared to the book.... uh anyway, there where subtle things put in that only original fans or people that read the books would get, the only example I can remember right now is the song that Strider sang, I beleive in the first movie, about the love story in the Silmarillion.

I get the feeling that if this movie did get big it wouldn't cause all that much back catoulouging to the real thing. Maybe I'm just pessimistic (I'd die if they relesed movie editions of the series... with pictures of the movies on the cover) but series to movie compared to book to movie gives me the feeling that people wouldn't care as much about the previous incarnation.

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:43 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Pepperidge wrote:Yes he did. They just didn't point it out.

Are you sure he was really wearing the ring? Because I looked for it and couldn't see it, but wasn't quite sure, so I asked the other people I saw the movie with and they agreed that he didn't have it. In any case, I'd think I thing like that would atleast shimmer or shine.

Originally posted on: 29-Dec-2003, 01:46 GMT

silentbatosai [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby silentbatosai [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah I think a live action EVA movie would be pretty sweet! But I dont know if theres a girl hot enough to play Rei!

Originally posted on: 30-Dec-2003, 14:16 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 pm

who would play Asuka? she's hotter than Rei.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 00:17 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Caine wrote:who would play Asuka? she's hotter than Rei.

Regardless of the fact that that is not true, generally speaking Asuka's physical features are more common, and thus easier to find.

However, with the vast ammount of technology in the way of camera and cosmetics that we the film industry have at our finger tips, it truly doesn't matter who's hotter, either way they can be made to look that way.

The thing that I'm worried about is the enevitablity that Rei will look like crap in the movie, with some stupid inferior hair color to blue.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 01:34 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Regardless of the fact that that is not true

There is no truth as far as "hotness" goes, since physical attractiveness is entirely subjective. So subjective, in fact, it's one of the things that's helped to shape the differentiation between species -- what the chicks/guys dig becomes one of the driving forces of natural selection, or whatever. [Insert disclaimer for any Creationist forum-goers.] As it goes, I think Yui (in either of her forms) is more attractive than both of them.

The thing that I'm worried about is the enevitablity that Rei will look like crap in the movie, with some stupid inferior hair color to blue.

You mean... like white? She has white hair for most of 26', and I've never heard you complain. Image

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 02:52 GMT

SSJ_SaGE_980 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSJ_SaGE_980 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 pm

this movie sounds like a bad idea........

(trust me I've seen worse)

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 03:19 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Reichu wrote:There is no truth as far as "hotness" goes, since physical attractiveness is entirely subjective. So subjective, in fact, it's one of the things that's helped to shape the differentiation between species -- what the chicks/guys dig becomes one of the driving forces of natural selection, or whatever. [Insert disclaimer for any Creationist forum-goers.] As it goes, I think Yui (in either of her forms) is more attractive than both of them.

Given your advatar this might interest you. (Though it is so far off topic it frightens me)

I saw a special on TLC with John Gleese (The Monty Python guy form those of you who don't know), and it was all about how beauty is not subjective, that it is universal. They did a study with people from all around the world, from ever culture, and told them to put a bunch of faces in order form most to lest attractive, and 98.3% of the time they put it in the exact same order.

According to the special, beauty is based on a mathematical ratio. Its something like 1:1.436 (Though I cant remember the exact number) anyone that fits this ratio of their facial and bodily features is considered beautiful virtually universally.

It was very interesting.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 03:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:12 pm

tv33: Yeah, I think I remember you mentioning that before... Without knowing more about that particular study, I'm not exactly going to consider it an absolute truth or anything. (I also happen to be one of those unusual people for whom personality and other abstract factors count more than physical qualities as far as who I find attractive goes.) And besides, from what you say it only judged attractiveness based on face alone -- and perhaps it goes without saying that the neck and up is only part of the equation when considering who's "hot" and who's not.

Also, that special probably didn't take into consideration that all species find different types of things "sexy". From that perspective, yes, beauty IS completely subjective.

And for the record, NakedEye, the LotR movies have actually stimulated my interest in reading the original books. So there. Image

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 03:41 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Reichu wrote:And besides, from what you say it only judged attractiveness based on face alone -- and perhaps it goes without saying that the neck and up is only part of the equation when considering who's "hot" and who's not.

The ratio of 1:1.436 (Or close to that) worked on all parts of the body. Like the legs, and the torso. Apparently a good number of flowers and such also follow a numerical ratio of their own.

If you are interested , it was part of a multi-part special called "The Human Face" Amazon has it. They also show it from time to time on TLC.

Edit- Damn it looks like the ratio was closer to 1:1.6 but you get the idea...

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 03:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I might have to check that out sometime... But, since I'm so cheap, I'll probably just try for the library.

At any rate, interesting as that is, I doubt mathematical ratios mean a whole lot in eternal fanboy debates like the Rei vs. Asuka stuff. Speaking of which... :yawn:

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 04:06 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Reichu wrote:There is no truth as far as "hotness" goes, since physical attractiveness is entirely subjective. So subjective, in fact, it's one of the things that's helped to shape the differentiation between species -- what the chicks/guys dig becomes one of the driving forces of natural selection, or whatever. [Insert disclaimer for any Creationist forum-goers.] As it goes, I think Yui (in either of her forms) is more attractive than both of them.
[b]

I'm never one to acknowledge all universal possibilities. My reality, being the only one I can truly experience, is my reality and in the aforementioned reality, Rei is hotest. Without conviction, we're all just a bunch of Shinjis.

You mean... like white? She has white hair for most of 26', and I've never heard you complain. Image

So now you're stalking me and taking note of everything I complain about? Image Rei's hair is blue. - See avatar for details.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 04:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:I'm never one to acknowledge all universal possibilities. My reality, being the only one I can truly experience, is my reality and in the aforementioned reality, Rei is hotest. Without conviction, we're all just a bunch of Shinjis.

There's a difference between having conviction and presenting your opinion in such a manner as to incite an age-old fanboy debate that no one is ever going to win (not to mention it's damn stale besides). Also, I certainly don't hope you find cartoon girls attractive at the expense of the real deal.

NakedEye's Theoretical Girlfriend: Tell me how beautiful you think I am.
NakedEye, in Theory: You're alright, I guess... But I prefer blue hair, red eyes, and ink outlines.
>SLAP!!!<

Rei's hair is blue. - See avatar for details.

Regardless, as I've pointed out, Rei is still a stylized albino. If she is expected to be played by a real person, she should look like a real albino. I.e., white hair, not blue. Blue hair would look silly and take away from what little credibility the live-action movie currently has. And, just to be fair, I don't really hope for Misato to have purple-tinted hair, either.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 04:45 GMT

OMEGA_WEAPON [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OMEGA_WEAPON [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Reichu wrote:Regardless, as I've pointed out, Rei is still a stylized albino. If she is expected to be played by a real person, she should look like a real albino. I.e., white hair, not blue. Blue hair would look silly and take away from what little credibility the live-action movie currently has. And, just to be fair, I don't really hope for Misato to have purple-tinted hair, either.

Nor I.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 09:38 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Rei is not an albino, atleast I see no reason to think that. Granted I'm not very knowledgable about specifically how to tell if someone is albino, but her skin isn't pale. It's not much lighter than Shinji's or Misato's. It's just light skin, I've had that same skin tone at times. Her hair isn't white, it's not like they couldn't have given her white hair if they wanted to, she wouldn't be the first ever anime character to have white hair. She was given red eyes to give her a more powerful stare. I'd say any similarities that may exist between her and an albino man or woman are coincidental.

[quote]NakedEye's Theoretical Girlfriend: Tell me how beautiful you think I am.
NakedEye, in Theory: You're alright, I guess... But I prefer blue hair, red eyes, and ink outlines.
>SLAP!!!

Hahaha Image That won't be happening. My theoretical Girlfriend will know exactly how beautiful I think she is, there are indeed different forms of beauty seperate from Rei's brand of perfection. As you already know, but I'm going to tell you anyway, I can never touch Rei, nor look into her eyes (well, mutually). Though Rei does provide me with some important insight into what I like.

As for the fanboy debate thing.... I don't think I'm going to start any arguments, but even if I do, I doubt it would last that long, there's ever so little you can say in something like that. When it comes to things like politics, religion, the meaning of life, what to teach the young, these kinds of things I can accept that there are different veiwpoints and such, but when it comes down to something truly important, like how hot Rei is, I won't budge an inch. Anything that occurs as a result of this is acceptable. Image

If Rei's hair (in the movie) is black or white I'll be very dissapointed, because it would look extremely out of place. Well, white hair could potentially work to some extent, but for it to work it would require all other aspects of her to be accurate.

Originally posted on: 31-Dec-2003, 19:09 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”