The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

tv33 wrote:I agree with this. I mean, when is the last time you saw a 14 year old American child saving the world with his giant robot?
Thank you for not understanding what EVA is about.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:30 GMT

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm

18 year-old angst is different from 14 year-old angst.

elfwannabe wrote:and also, the stiff that the 14-year-old eva kids do, could not be don be 14-year-olds in an american movies. i cite the above mentioned "boobie" reference. it wouldn't happen. the only part that srcaes me is that most of the 14-year-olds i know today actually DO have boobs that big.

Actually, not even Asuka really has boobs that big. She was quite out or proportion in that shot. (And in quite a few shots in the earlier episodes, for that matter.)

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:31 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

UberDirector wrote:Thank you for not understanding what EVA is about.

I thought it was obvious that was meant to be a lowbrow answer.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:32 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Pepperidge wrote:18 year-old angst is different from 14 year-old angst.

Actually, not even Asuka really has boobs that big. She was quite out or proportion in that shot. (And in quite a few shots in the earlier episodes, for that matter.)
Asuka's hooters expand in direct proportion to their proximity to the tip of Shinji's nose... Image

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:34 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Pepperidge wrote:18 year-old angst is different from 14 year-old angst.
Eighteen year old American angst is different than Fouteen year old American angst... but how different than fourteen year old Japanese angst. The pace of development of children is offset between the two nations. In order the represent the issues of a person who is a child but is about to be an adult, the age must be pushed foreward for the general American viewing public to understand...... After all, how many American fourteen year olds to do see fretting about establishing their place in society?

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 18:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Unless the main cast is converted into another nationality, the characters ARE Japanese (or part-Japanese). Just because a movie is being produced by Americans does not mean that, by default, all of the characters have to think and act like Americans. To think that such has to be the case is to pose rather severe limitations on the integrity of creative works.

If this aspect of the movie is handled properly, the ages will not be dabbled with and Japanese cultural protocal will be presented with due respect.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 19:23 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

If this movie were intended to be a limited release "art" style film, I would agree with you that maintaining the cultural aspects of the original work would be paramount, as the people who would attend such a film are likely to have an understanding of the ways of foreign people. However, as the estimated budget has a great deal of zero's on it, I would suspect that the film is intended for the broad market.... which dare I say, is highly lacking in understanding of foreign cultures. Thus, the film must be americanized to a certain extent if there is any hope of it to make money.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 19:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Dare to be different. If a little hobbit can save the whole of Middle-earth, a depressed 14-year-old Japanese kid and his moth--, er, I mean, "robot" can be elevated to cinematic grandeur, too.

Plus, I'm pretty sure NGE:TM would attract the same amount/type of audience regardless of how old the pilots are. The mainstream movie-goers who will be shelling out the majority of the dough probably wouldn't be paying attention to such small details. They see the "giant robots", the "alien invaders", and the slick pseudo-futuristic environment and say, "Cool". The sort of people who would make a big fuss about the ages aren't the sort who would have a huge impact on sales, methinks.

Originally posted on: 24-Dec-2003, 19:41 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

"Dare to be different. If a little hobbit can save the whole of Middle-earth, a depressed 14-year-old Japanese kid and his moth--, er, I mean, "robot" can be elevated to cinematic grandeur, too. "

I see your point, but I doubt ADV will try something that new. They'll probably just try to add a lot of violance or explosions and more sexual theme with a hot female actor for sell-out method of easy cash(although not too successful anymore cause so many people are doing that now). That's what I think is probably going to happen, but I hope they do try something new and do very well with it(which is the best senario for the fans by keeping the original theme and feel to it), it's just that they probably don't have that much money to risk such project.

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2003, 00:01 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

At this point, they don't have enough money to make anything. 14 year olds are not 18 year olds. there may be similarities when you change the culture, but there are still some differences in mantality, emotions, and the like that are different. But 18 year old Americans is the only way this can really go off without being what we currently expect (worst possible scenario).

Originally posted on: 25-Dec-2003, 01:19 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

UberDirector wrote:Thank you for not understanding what EVA is about.

I don't know what you're trying to say with that, Ub.

As far as looks go - I'd say the pilots 'look' fluctuates from 14 16. In most shots Rei is a dead-on 16 year old. I personally like the age of 14 (me being 15 currently) and sometimes the pilots look clearly like 14 year olds, but a lot of the time they look 16. I do certainly understand the significance of their age, not like I'm saying they are 16.

As for changing the age for the movie, I don't see how one can simply say "if you don't think they should change the show, you don't understand it." As far as I'm concerned, anywhere from 14-18 would be fine, simply because this audience that is going to experience it isn't so simply understood as we'd like. No matter what age they are people would comprehend it differently.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 01:51 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm

elfwannabe wrote:but putting tom in the movie would have ruined the whole effect the ring possessed. if you show a character that is completely unaffected by the ring, you strip the ring of all power. the same thing happened with faramir when he was not tempted by the ring. they had to change that so as to make his character dynamic.

i will agree that the new Rei is too 'pretty' (for lack of a better word). i don't like her. but i think the eva looks really good. the old designs were great, but thay were simplistic in terms of movie standards. more detail has to be put in in order for the images to hold up on a sixty-foot screen. and i think it's good that they're redesigning things; this is now their movie, and just like they did with LotR, they have to reinvision things in order to solidify this project as theirs. although it would benice to see some of the original artists on the design team like how they got Lee and Howe for LotR.

I don't know, personally I think what they did to Faramir was terrible. If demonic voices coming from a little peice of jewlery isn't enough to scare some body, what is? I understand that they don't have the precious time that the book had, they don't have the ability to show us the true world, and I guess what they did was probably the best possible adaption, but I still don't like it. Still, I guess I have to concede here, since you seem to be right.

As far as this being "there movie now," even if this movie does get made it is never their's. They are taking something very precious and toying with it, and for everything they do they will answer to the original fans, mentally atleast, probably not in any substantial way. Taking something doesn't give you ownership of it, especailly since (absolute worst case scenario, I could explain if you'd like) this movie has every chance of completely ruining a whole lot of things. I don't think it would get that far, but it could definetly cause some damage, no matter what happens.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 01:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:05 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:They are taking something very precious and toying with it

Getting awfully fanboyish, aren't we? Image Strictly speaking, they're not toying with anything. You have the original series no matter what. Nothing is being "stolen" here, as they have GAINAX's permission to do this, and from what I understand Anno is at least peripherally involved. NGE is a commercial franchise like any other and GAINAX is free to do what they want with it, whether it be cheesy dating sims, stripping books, or, heaven forbid, the Hollywood Treatment.

Sure, no reason why we can't gripe and grumble about all this. But making this out to be some sort of irreparable scar upon the fabric of the world is going WAY too far. Who cares what people might think about NGE as a result of this movie! It's a bloody anime. If you're worried about the effects of some American rehash on the fan community, stop worrying, take it as it comes, and just continue being the same fan you were before this movie went into production. There are commercial transactions afoot that are worth bawling over, and this isn't one of them.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 02:25 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Reichu wrote:Getting awfully fanboyish, aren't we? Image Strictly speaking, they're not toying with anything. You have the original series no matter what. Nothing is being "stolen" here, as they have GAINAX's permission to do this, and from what I understand Anno is at least peripherally involved. NGE is a commercial franchise like any other and GAINAX is free to do what they want with it, whether it be cheesy dating sims, stripping books, or, heaven forbid, the Hollywood Treatment.

Sure, no reason why we can't gripe and grumble about all this. But making this out to be some sort of irreparable scar upon the fabric of the world is going WAY too far. Who cares what people might think about NGE as a result of this movie! It's a bloody anime. If you're worried about the effects of some American rehash on the fan community, stop worrying, take it as it comes, and just continue being the same fan you were before this movie went into production. There are commercial transactions afoot that are worth bawling over, and this isn't one of them.

Damn straight I'm a fanboy Image If I was the only person in the world who liked Evangelion, people would think I'm weird but they wouldn't get up about my affection for the series, so I won't hide my feelings about itall.

It's not like I'm saying this is the revelation, or anything like that, make that clear. If I gave a different impression, sorry, that wasn't my intention. Here's a taste of the worst case sceario that I don't think will ever happen - searching "Google" will result in nothing but Live Action EVA fansites. Real Evangelion merchandise will have to be imported from Japan because the Evangelion live action movie got a stroke of luck and became a major hot topic for kids and adults alike. I get 20 emails a day from my (hypothetical) Rei site, people telling me that I'm a *******, and that Rei isn't some small breasted cartoon character. The only age group this movie fails to impress is... my age group, in which I get ridiculed for that Nerv shirt that used to get a thumbs up here and there.

Not that I think that would ever actually happen, but it is possible. For me, it's fun to critisize crap like that, especailly since things like that do happen, never to the calibur as I've decribed above, but all signs point to the fact that things similar to that would occur. Fearing and talking about this kind of stuff will soften the blow if it ever did actually truly happen.

As for ownership, I've never given a damn about legal copyrights. Evangelion is just like any other of my favorite art (stories, music, what have you), in other words, untouchable. I get really pissed when people start screwing up things that don't need any improvement. But they are definetly toying, legal copyrights don't include any "non-toying" clauses that I know of. They're just toying with legal consent. Image

Happy holidays Image

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 02:56 GMT

Caine [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Caine [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Worst case scenario: an american cartoon series, card game, tons of merchandise, ruin of the name, the TV show being on 24/7 and as horrible as possible.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 03:38 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:I don't know what you're trying to say with that, Ub.
I'm saying that a fourteen year old saveing the world in a giant robot, is not, was not, and never will be what Eva is about. That portion of Eva is almost completely and totaly irrelevant and serves mostly as plot filler. If that's what the movie is going to be about, I would rather it not happen.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 05:09 GMT

Ter'al [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ter'al [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm saying that a fourteen year old saveing the world in a giant robot, is not, was not, and never will be what Eva is about. That portion of Eva is almost completely and totaly irrelevant and serves mostly as plot filler. If that's what the movie is going to be about, I would rather it not happen

Ding ding, best post in this thread.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 06:25 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

UberDirector wrote:I'm saying that a fourteen year old saveing the world in a giant robot, is not, was not, and never will be what Eva is about. That portion of Eva is almost completely and totaly irrelevant and serves mostly as plot filler. If that's what the movie is going to be about, I would rather it not happen.

If we're going to get into what is irrelevant to the messege of Evangelion, we might aswell eliminate the whole series. The plot in it's entirety is irrelevant to the messege about life. The 14 year old boy saving the earth is just a peice of the plot that makes up the engine in which the messege is conveyed. I wouldn't write off such a big part of Evangelion, it has its purpose.

I don't know about you, but unless this film is made with the original fans in mind, I'd preffer it not to happen, no matter what the plot is.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2003, 17:29 GMT

Radio_Free_Mars [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Radio_Free_Mars [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I don't think it would get that far, but it could definetly cause some damage, no matter what happens.

k, I know this wont help anything, but think about the movie like this. You read the Tolken books, you like them. You go see the movie you hate it. Do you now hate the books a little. Yah right! No this movie no matter how bad, wont hurt the Eva series in any way. I mean if people see it and say it sucks, then they go see the DVD collection of the anime and think oh that must suck too, I doubt they like anime to begin with, and if they did Im sure they already know/ have a friend who knows, that the series is nothing like said movie.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2003, 23:14 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:08 pm

The discrepancy here is with words, by damage I don't mean that I'll like the series any less. But it's possible that search engines could get plagued by Live Action related websites, and at the very least real world Evangelion discussions will probably be diverted back to the live action movie. It's kinda hard now adays to find a copy of The Lord of the Rings that doesn't have pictures from the movies on it. (Maybe not all *that* hard, but every book store is hoarded with the movie editions of the books)

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2003, 04:43 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”