Shinji is gay?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

CyberNinja5 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CyberNinja5 [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I don't think they have sex, no. I always interpreted Kaworu's extreme openness and over-friendliness more as a way to contrast him from the extreme closedness and unfriendliness of the other three Children.

Yeah I don't really think Shinji had sex with him but he did love Kaworu because he was the only person he knew for sure loved him and thats all Shinji wanted was affection the entire show. He just wanted to be loved and noticed thats why he piloted Eva because people respected him and thats why he liked Asuka because she always pushed him and he liked Kaworu because he truly wanted to be Shinji's friend before even knowing him. Plus Kaworu was an angel and I don't really think he really knew his sexuality or even know what that is.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 03:02 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm

CyberNinja5 wrote:Yeah I don't really think Shinji had sex with him but he did love Kaworu because he was the only person he knew for sure loved him and thats all Shinji wanted was affection the entire show. He just wanted to be loved and noticed thats why he piloted Eva because people respected him and thats why he liked Asuka because she always pushed him and he liked Kaworu because he truly wanted to be Shinji's friend before even knowing him. Plus Kaworu was an angel and I don't really think he really knew his sexuality or even know what that is.

Yeah that's why I don't like Shinji. He's too much of a...eh....what's the word I'm looking for...bitch. Yeah, I'll go with bitch.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 03:36 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm

thewayneiac wrote:If he's not "fresh out of the tank", then he was raised in a cellar somewhere like Rei.

I'm not sure where you're getting this "tank" from... Tanks don't have very much significance as far as Kaworu's origins are concerned.

Also, Kaworu doesn't seem to demonstrate any lack of understanding about human nature and living; he has that in abundance, and he can read Shinji like an open book. But...

I look at Kaworu's innocence in this scene that same way I look at Rei's in Ep. 5; she has so little human experience that she has no idea of the effect that her nudity might be having upon Shinji. Thus she dresses quite casually. Similarly, Kaworu has no idea what "sleeping together with" Shinji would mean to most people. I don't think for a minute that he was coming on to Shinji in this scene.

...these are somewhat more "culture-specific" things. Apparently the FAR were slightly less hung-up about such matters. What's wrong with those Lilim, eh?

Off-hand, I'm guessing that Kaworu was being more or less isolated to shady places like Seele and Third Branch. There's no real way to know -- but he certainly wasn't finding many kindred spirits. Did Kaworu wake up every morning and mutter, "...I'm still alive?"

(That might have been ironic. I'm not sure.)

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 03:37 GMT

Batous Eye [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Batous Eye [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:However the juxtaposition in Instrumentality of "What do you wish for?" and the background image labelled as "a woman's chest" in the storyboards is also accompanied by the Shinjiquarium, and that places a whole new spin on that wish. Image

This is a fantastic find. Thank you for posting it! Image

I am going to get into this particular theme at a later time in a different thread about EoE in general. But for now I can say there is implication in EoE in which Shinji's fantasy is to: Kill Asuka, and become eternally joined with Rei.

The Jpeg does indeed depict a Shinji clone with breasts. This could be interpreted in 2 ways: 1. Shinji secretly desires to be a girl. (more to the "he's gay" theme) 2. Shinji wants to become Rei, or in other words, join with her and become a hybrid entity (as above).

Number 2 is supported by the erotic unity scene in the LCL ocean in EoE.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 14:21 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Batous Eye wrote:This is a fantastic find. Thank you for posting it! Image

I am going to get into this particular theme at a later time in a different thread about EoE in general. But for now I can say there is implication in EoE in which Shinji's fantasy is to: Kill Asuka, and become eternally joined with Rei.

The Jpeg does indeed depict a Shinji clone with breasts. This could be interpreted in 2 ways: 1. Shinji secretly desires to be a girl. (more to the "he's gay" theme) 2. Shinji wants to become Rei, or in other words, join with her and become a hybrid entity (as above).

Number 2 is supported by the erotic unity scene in the LCL ocean in EoE.
Shinji:
Ayanami... where are we?

Rei:
This is the sea of LCL... The primordial soup of life.
A world without AT Fields... without your own shape.
An ambiguous world where it is impossible to tell where you end and other people start.
A fragile world where you exist everywhere, and thus exist nowhere.

Shinji:
Have I died?

Rei:
No, everything has just been joined into one.
This is the world you have been hoping for... your world.

Shinji (releasing Misato's cross from his left hand):
But... this isn't right. I don't think this is right.[/u]If this is what Shinji really wanted, he sure changed his mind rather abruptly...

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 14:58 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

He does that quite a bit, though. He doesn't know what he wants, which is why instrumentality goes through so many odd phases.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 15:09 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Batous Eye wrote:This is a fantastic find. Thank you for posting it! Image

That's not a new discovery by any means. The brief clip actually shows the Rei-tachi morphing into Shinji.

Batous Eye wrote:there is implication in EoE in which Shinji's fantasy is to: [b]Kill Asuka, and become eternally joined with Rei.

This reminds me of one interpretation which would have it that the conclusion implies that Adam (Shinji) must kill Lilith (Asuka, the active independent woman) so that Eve (Rei, the submissive woman) can be reborn, and thereby humankind re-started.

Just to add to the fun, don't forget that Asuka's final words in Complementation (in the melange of voices after the metaphorical replay of the kitchen scene from 23') are "If I have to be with you, I'd rather die!"

Batous Eye wrote:Number 2 is supported by the erotic unity scene in the LCL ocean in EoE.

Don't forget that Complementation opens with Asuka in similar pose to the one Rei takes at the end, though. And the intercourse taking place is spiritual, not sexual.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 15:40 GMT

Batous Eye [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Batous Eye [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:This reminds me of one interpretation which would have it that the conclusion implies that Adam (Shinji) must kill Lilith (Asuka, the active independent woman) so that Eve (Rei, the submissive woman) can be reborn, and thereby humankind re-started.

I must say I wholly disagree. And before you reply, you might want to take a look at this:
http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=189302

Mr. Tines wrote:Don't forget that Complementation opens with Asuka in similar pose to the one Rei takes at the end, though. And the intercourse taking place is spiritual, not sexual.

I was using the phrase "erotic unity" in the literary sense.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 16:10 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Shinji's words at the end of episode #24 cannot be easily dismissed. He clarly states that he loved Kaworu. Once could go on about the differences between romantic and platonic love, but before we do, a further look at the actual Japanese dialouge would be in order.

Originally posted on: 21-Mar-2006, 22:37 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm going to say that this wasn't exactly the scene:

"Kaworu, I want to bear your children!"
"Dude, you're not a chick."
"So?"

When Shinji says he loves Kaworu, that's like me saying I love my mother (not that I do). It's, to use your own word, platonic. Regardless of what the original dialogue states, I really dislike the idea of having subtle homosexual tendencies in someone who pretty clearly is heterosexual.

Originally posted on: 22-Mar-2006, 00:29 GMT

Insidious Roden [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Insidious Roden [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

I fail to see any tangible evidence to support Shinji or Kaworu's homosexuality. I feel that their relationship is very platonic (I'll follow the trend and use this word) in nature. I've always kind of felt that Kaworu was only showing affection for Shinji in order to manipulate him. To Kaworu I feel, Shinji was a mall means to accomplishing a much larger goal- specifically reaching Central Dogma and reuiniting with Lilith. This would make Kaworu an ordinary Angel albeit an extremley cunning one.So in short Kaworu's feelings toward Shinji were not feelings of love at all. I'm not that analytical when it comes to Evangelion, so if anything I said is directly disputed in the anime please feel free to let me know.

Originally posted on: 22-Mar-2006, 21:31 GMT

DatFatPat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatFatPat [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

I havent seen EOE.

What "incident" happened in EOE that everyone is talking about?

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2006, 05:47 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

DatFatPat wrote:I havent seen EOE.

What "incident" happened in EOE that everyone is talking about?

Shinji 'spanks the monkey' in Asuka's hospital room as she's lying there half naked and unconsious.

Originally posted on: 23-Mar-2006, 10:22 GMT

rebelxangel [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rebelxangel [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

shinjis just a little disturbed boy... yeah, he might be gay, but in the movie didn't he jack off while while watching Asuka after he tore off her shirt? at least thats wut i think...?

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 08:41 GMT

DatFatPat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatFatPat [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

did it actually showed him choking the chicken or did it just mentioned that he did?

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 01:09 GMT

Colossus [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Colossus [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Why do so many deny the existance of other forms of love that are not derived from sexuality?

I can imagine you know of the unwritten rule in stone that forbids anything like that.Ill leave it vague on purpose.

There is no doubt..that Shinji can be a bit dull,and passive.Because he lets people push him around,he said it many times that`s how he copes with things.It does not mean that he wants to be a girl,or in a same sex relationship.

Shin-seki wrote:Shinji 'spanks the monkey' in Asuka's hospital room as she's lying there half naked and unconsious.

Shinji hesitates for a moment,he then locks the hosptial door,then does the deed.Insecruity,another thing that could be confused for a more..feminite person.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 01:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

DatFatPat wrote:did it actually showed him choking the chicken or did it just mentioned that he did?

You tell me.

Asuka does make reference to Shinji's masturbatory tendencies later, though -- once she finds out that he's been keeping his libido to himself all this time. Oh, boy, what a mistake on his part! How dare he use her as a side dish and not the main course! Image

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 04:51 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Eww, that's a lot more detail than the DVD seems to show... I guess I should thank Manga for their bad transfer keeping me from having to see that @_@

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 05:08 GMT

Shinji_eva_2007 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji_eva_2007 [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

OMFG Shinji is in no way gay ..... not not not not gay

this isnt about Shinji but i belive it should clear some things up....

tabris (kawrou) is neither gay nor a homaphrodite he dosnt really have a gender. but he is the angel of free will so he is using is ability to communicate to minipulate people to his will . and also he is experimenting human life. of course Shinji( being the emosexual he is) falls right into kwarou when he sais he loves him. because thats all Shinji wants, to love himself and be loved back. and now that somebody loves him he wont let the chance pass. he , being weak socially because of his hedgehog's dilema is the quickest to fall into this friendship and when he is in it he is MUCH happier and since he isnt usually happy he wants it to stay this was. and that is ALSO y he cries when he 1. finds out kawrou is his enemy and 2. sees kawrou in End of Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 06:02 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm

LOL Emosexual.
So true.

Originally posted on: 24-Mar-2006, 12:45 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”