Eva's Cockpits

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Ehhh, I'm sure scripts and production illos will eventually tell us everything...

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 09:56 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Anyone wanna tell me why Kaworu is crying in that scene?

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 10:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Kaworu isn't crying. Ve's just hungry for some Tabris Treats!

Er... wait. What are you referring to, MC?

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 10:38 GMT

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Er... wait. What are you referring to, MC?

Page one, post #14. The scanslation's from the manga that EM posted, I guess.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 12:54 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Ah, forgive me. I am currently operating along the parameters that Aaron's posts are only going to... you know... and thus...

Well, I am impressed. This gives me something new to think about. Image

StuffMan wrote:I might as well pop in and add my usual "continuity error" suggestion.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 12:58 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Ornette wrote:Hmm, doesn't seem to be a continuity error to me.
Stuffman is joking.

Reichu wrote:Ah, forgive me. I am currently operating along the parameters that Aaron's posts are only going to... you know... and thus...
Hey, let's have none of that.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 14:27 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:Anyone wanna tell me why Kaworu is crying in that scene?

Same reason Rei was in 23? Most likely...
He's fighting in Eva-02 , along with Rei since Asuka got the boot.
(I'm only NOW seeing the English translated version of volume 9 out in bookstores now...thouh they've been around for a while.)
BMK cries. Image
Oh, and I'm going with the balls answer for the cockpit question, I guess. Unless someone sways me. >.>

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 15:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The Eva Monkey wrote:Hey, let's have none of that.

Reply to my correspondences, and then I will be at liberty to stop. Till then, I must look out for Reichu's psychic well-being. Image

Magami wrote:Same reason Rei was in 23? Most likely...

But Kaworu doesn't have Rei's personal problems.

Then again, Sadamoto's Kaworu is the True Kaworu's Evil Doppelganger.

He's fighting in Eva-02 , along with Rei since Asuka got the boot.

Reichu proposes that Kaworu be officially referred to as "ve" until the Apocalypse arrives.

But, at this point, Reichu is also going to expect that she will not be taken seriously by most people about such things until that day.

Oh, and I'm going with the balls answer for the cockpit question, I guess. Unless someone sways me. >.>

:glance:
Shinji (MONO) "That's really weird... albeit not very surprising... Oh dear, this is going to be very embarrassing when it goes on the air, since I'm the only one who gets to see this. I have a sinking feeling that Anno had dealt me a very unfair hand of dramatic irony. Oh, wait... Dramatic irony saturates this episode like squeeing fangirls saturing a yaoi convention. Nevermind."
You may now return to your previously scheduled thread. PLEASE. If you don't, Chuthulhu is going to come and give you a great, big hug. And you wouldn't want that.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 17:16 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Ornette wrote:Hmm, doesn't seem to be a continuity error to me. The simplest explanation would seem to be that different pilots (regardless of what eva they are actually in) have different configurations. Tines has already pointed out this consistency with his screenshots. As to why? I'm not really sure.

Indeed, each pilot does seem to keep his or her cockpit layout no matter where they're at, but I can't help but wonder if that in itself is an error on the artists' part...I somehow can't shake the feeling that they got the order from on high for those episodes to, for instance, "draw Shinji in the cockpit" or something like that when he was sitting in Eva-00, and simply drew him "in the cockpit" in the same manner as they did for when he's in Eva-01. The same would go for the other pilots being switched around, and their cockpit equipment somehow following them in the process.

I readily admit that I might be incorrect, and that the "mobile cockpit" might well have been intentional, but until something concrete shows up I remain skeptical.

The Eva Monkey wrote:Stuffman is joking.

Hee hee, thanks for your noble efforts to bail me out, o fluffy one, but I'm afraid this is one hole I've dug myself into willingly, heh heh. I await the rainbow-colored beam from your belly which will soon be headed my way as means of punishment. Image

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 17:46 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shadowwriterx [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

oh and what is that makes the pilot feel pain in the cockpit when the Eva is struck by something?.........that's been bugging the heck out of me

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 17:56 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Reply to my correspondences, and then I will be at liberty to stop.
In case you didn't pick up on it, my primary method of dealing with problems is through strategic avoidance. I can let it go if you can.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 18:15 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

shadowwriterx wrote:oh and what is that makes the pilot feel pain in the cockpit when the Eva is struck by something?.........that's been bugging the heck out of me

That's what being synchronized, and the all important synch ratio is about - the pilots are in effect wired into the nervous system of the Eva and feel as she feels.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 18:46 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Indeed, each pilot does seem to keep his or her cockpit layout no matter where they're at, but I can't help but wonder if that in itself is an error on the artists' part...I somehow can't shake the feeling that they got the order from on high for those episodes to, for instance, "draw Shinji in the cockpit" or something like that when he was sitting in Eva-00, and simply drew him "in the cockpit" in the same manner as they did for when he's in Eva-01. The same would go for the other pilots being switched around, and their cockpit equipment somehow following them in the process.

I readily admit that I might be incorrect, and that the "mobile cockpit" might well have been intentional, but until something concrete shows up I remain skeptical.

Good point tho, those could have just been recycled cells (the Eva switcheroo bit).

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 19:01 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

shadowwriterx wrote:oh and what is that makes the pilot feel pain in the cockpit when the Eva is struck by something?.........that's been bugging the heck out of me

How do you suppose the pilots make the Evas move in the first place? There is absolutely no way it would ever work if you didn't just have neurological output, but input as well. Pain is a critical aspect of the senses; without pain, you have no concept of whether or not you are doing something that is damaging, or will damage, your body.

Also think about anaesthetics (in the sense that they're used to prevent you from feeling pain) and when parts of your body go numb (which prevent anything but vague sensation): Isn't it hard to talk if your mouth has been shot up with novocaine or walk when your leg has "fallen asleep"?

Hopefully that makes some degree of sense.

Regarding the cockpit stuff, resolving the Eva/pilot stuff is a long-term goal. I'm not going to make any assumptions until I've processed all of the data.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 19:05 GMT

shadowwriterx [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shadowwriterx [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

thanks...It confused me when I didn't see any trace of any attachments that aided in that

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 19:10 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Reichu wrote:Reichu proposes that Kaworu be officially referred to as "ve" until the Apocalypse arrives.

Sorry, but "This Kaworu is my HEART"
He embodies a perfect Evangelion children/bishounen for me.
In "serious" discussion sessons(which I tend to stay away for now because they seem to go horrible if no conclusion is fully reached, and there's also the fact that I haven't watched the series fully for some time and can't for now, too muc else to watch.), I wouldn't mind using ve, as well as when talking about GNK.
But let maintain some of my slight fangirlisms, if you would..(which have spread out to so many more male pilots as of late, hence they seem a bit faint currently. >.<)

Only thing ironic about this post is that I was refering to BKM (or EMK) orginally, for which I really don't care.
I'll be open to the fact that maybe he'll retain some of his anime Kaworu-ness in future manga installments, and cease being such a....."Cow'roo". Image

On an unrelated side note, I'm loving all of this Eva-centred icons. ^^;

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

(1) The pilots wear an interface headset (<-- the official name). In the case of Rei and Shinji, anyway, they actually look like this:

http://www.evageeks.org/images...pilots_crop.jpg

I have a better picture in one of my books, but that will have to do for now. The so-called "clips" are held in place by the... whatever you'd call it that wraps around the back of the head and is hidden beneath the hair.

(2) The plugsuit plays some function in synchronization. Not sure how exactly that works yet. Still researching.

(3) The LCL itself, when electrified, transmits nerve impulses from pilot to Eva, and, I'm guessing, vice versa. The entry plug interfaces in some way with the Eva's central nervous system -- it is accomodated through a part of the spine that has been "cybernetically violated" (more or less) and replaced with artificial vertebrae that would allow for that sort of thing.

The nerve impulses probably go out through the top. The bottom of the plug goes into the Eva's core to link the pilot up with the native soul. But sometimes they either can't get in, or they get kicked out.

@Magami: Don't worry about it. That's what the disclaimers are for.

On an aside, though, am I the only one who thinks EMK looks kind of like Haruhara Haruko? Image

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:08 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Interesting. Several thought come to mind.

Going by the most obvious difference, it could be that Shinji's sex somehow requires certain ajustments to the cockpit in some way. By the Reichu interpretation of the Evas being female, perhaps extra neurological engineering is required to "accommidate" Shinji's interface. This doesn't seem very likely.

I would then have said "service", but something else has come to mind.

It would appear to be the case that the cockpit configuration is adjustable. Not only do we see the same plugs in different configurations in episode #14, "It smells like Ikari-kun", we also see that Rei's plug is in this "seatbelt" mode in episode #22.

The first time Shinji is placed into the entry plug, and for every outing thereafter, this seatbelt mode is also in place.

ImageImage

It would seem likely that this "seatbelt" mode is for added stability, hence its use both in Rei's firing of the particle cannon and of course in Shinji's very first outing in the plug. So why does Shinji have it permanantly on?

Consider this. The ever insecure, meticulous, obedient Shinji always wears his seatbelt while piloting his Evangelion. A simple matter of protocol? Then why would the others go without?

It would seem that pilot synchronisation is a tricky business, and it's likely that pilot comfort is a factor. The haughty Asuka would likely feel better without a seatbelt, and thus goes without. Perhaps the same goes for Rei. Shinji on the other hand, probably wouldn't either feel right or safe without his seatbelt securing him. The pilot's mental state is a consideration for synchronisation. Why else have one in the dummy bodies?

There is another possible thematic reason for this, apart from Shinji's insecurity. Of all the pilots, he is the most "restrained" within the Eva. This could be another subtle indication of how Shinji has in a sense become bound to the role of an Eva Pilot. A thralldom requireing coercion, rather than a role accepted more freely in the cases of Asuka and Rei.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:11 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

^Good points

@Reichu(2) Perhaps as well as protecting the pilots from the "plug elements", they sort of act like a cell's cytoplasm(which let's things such as water and waste in and out simultaneously ) and actually allow easier tranmission of the LCL nerve impulses from the Eva.
Besides for visual appeal, why would Nerv take the time to change Asuka into her plugsuit when she wasn't even going to pilot, let alone hide in the Eva for her life, under limited time, in EoE?
Suit's important.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:15 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

There is in fact more evidence to support this "seatbelt worry" interpretation. More shortly. But will it be enough for SEELE08?

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:18 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”