Is it true that some Japanese fans watched EVA and commited/

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 am

Damnit!!! Was that true, or was it just rumors...

Originally posted on: 04-Sep-2003, 00:31 GMT

Shuboltz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shuboltz [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 am

dammit, that little arguement before made me forgot what i'm about to say Image

---
some people just can't hold the pressure of deep eva's storyline... so they slit their wrist and their blood bursts and pours to the ground. and then finally... they're free of the weight. but others will carry that weight. (wait.. this isn't cowboy bebop isn't it? Image )

Originally posted on: 04-Sep-2003, 07:17 GMT

MonkeyD.Luffy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MonkeyD.Luffy [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:33 am

i know what i wanted to say. that mom kept shoving down our throughts about christianity...now, i am catholic (turning atheist, stupid parents are so poopy...yes i used the word poopy) anyway, so what if your christian? does that make you special? that satan wants you more than some other religion child? i guess satan is coming at us from Japan Image what a stupid witch, i mean seriously, your sons got problems, doesnt mean EVERY kid does. stupid brainwashing religious freaks :twitch: sorry if that offended anyone

Originally posted on: 05-Sep-2003, 02:54 GMT

thelostyears [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thelostyears [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:33 am

MonkeyD.Luffy wrote:i know what i wanted to say. that mom kept shoving down our throughts about christianity...now, i am catholic (turning atheist, stupid parents are so poopy...yes i used the word poopy) anyway, so what if your christian? does that make you special? that satan wants you more than some other religion child? i guess satan is coming at us from Japan Image what a stupid witch, i mean seriously, your sons got problems, doesnt mean EVERY kid does. stupid brainwashing religious freaks :twitch: sorry if that offended anyone

LMAO. I agreed completely.

and that high school sucidals are actually true.

Originally posted on: 07-Sep-2003, 16:50 GMT

rogue_noir [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rogue_noir [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

levon wrote:"Evangelion banned in 85 countries"Image

I'm by far not a religion person at all and it diddn't affect me as much but still the ending made me pretty depressed.

Any examples of countries it's banned in?

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2003, 12:50 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

rogue_noir wrote:Any examples of countries it's banned in?

Examples?:???:

I was joking:shy:

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2003, 12:51 GMT

thelostyears [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thelostyears [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

levon wrote:Examples?:???:

I was joking:shy:

I take that as an insult. It almost scared me to death. I'm like, "NO WAY, SOME PEOPLE NEVER HEARD OF IT ?"

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 01:03 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

thelostyears wrote:I take that as an insult. It almost scared me to death. I'm like, "NO WAY, SOME PEOPLE NEVER HEARD OF IT ?"

Whats an insult? I'm confused here:???:

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 02:40 GMT

Ter'al [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ter'al [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

How do you fail to kill yourself? is it really that hard?

I would find out myself, but its kind of a one time deal, so i think i wont.

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 06:56 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

Now that's going wayyy too far to take that as an insult...

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 09:38 GMT

Galsia [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Galsia [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 am

thelostyears wrote:I read it, and it was quite amusing. I mean, it's quite strange how that christian kid didn't realize if he is in the reality and fantasy.

Perhaps he realised that the Bible is just fantasy.

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 09:46 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 am

Lol....that would be something!

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2003, 16:44 GMT

Washu the Great [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Washu the Great [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

This guy's mom is more of a problem then Eva is. Maybe if she would stop prancing around deming everything evil, she might see that its her kid that has the problem. I mean how stupid is it to blame a show, saying that its evil and caused her kid to try and commit sucide. What if her kid went out and shot someone. Would she say its not his fault, the must gun is evil.... it made him do it. Would the gun had something to do with it? Of course it would, but when it comes down to it, its the person who decides to pull the trigger. Same as in this case. Could Eva had something to do with it, sure, but it was still him who decided to do it. She needs to wake up and find out what the real problem is instead of blaming her problems on things like this. Well, thats my 2cp on this.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 15:32 GMT

CapsuleCorpJX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CapsuleCorpJX [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

The people who wrote on that board should do a little research.
The makers of NGE are not Christian (not one of them), and they used Christian themes because it felt cool and new to the target Japanese audience. They said that if they new it would be released in the U.S., they wouldn't have used the Christian theme.

As for their critisim of anime being polytheistic, well what the hell do you expect from a country thats over 90% shinto or buddhist?

The teen that attempted suicide didn't do it because of the religious themes of the movie, but its because he's introverted and depressed.

The entire evangelion series is very dark, and amplifies the emotions of loneliness and hopelessness, to such an extent that some people would attempt suicide.

But anyway, religion has nothing to do with it. It just provides a cool backdrop story and symbols.

tv33 wrote:That wack job can be found here, along with some other funny ones Image

http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Evangelion.htm

Edit- The one about the kid is the second on down.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 18:55 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

Washu the Great wrote:This guy's mom is more of a problem then Eva is. Maybe if she would stop prancing around deming everything evil, she might see that its her kid that has the problem. I mean how stupid is it to blame a show, saying that its evil and caused her kid to try and commit sucide. What if her kid went out and shot someone. Would she say its not his fault, the must gun is evil.... it made him do it. Would the gun had something to do with it? Of course it would, but when it comes down to it, its the person who decides to pull the trigger. Same as in this case. Could Eva had something to do with it, sure, but it was still him who decided to do it. She needs to wake up and find out what the real problem is instead of blaming her problems on things like this. Well, thats my 2cp on this.

It's because they don't know and don't want to know about anything that's different and strange to them.

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 00:04 GMT

thelostyears [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thelostyears [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 am

My friend told me a few weeks ago. When he finished watching the end of eva. He was depressed for 4 weeks until he was back to himself again. It was scary. 4 weeks is a long time.

At the end, he realized it was only an anime.

Originally posted on: 18-Sep-2003, 23:48 GMT

ChaoticSerenity [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ChaoticSerenity [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:37 am

Y'know, I find it ironic that everyone sees Evangelion as one downward spiral...to me, yes, the series in general is dark and painful, but the ending is perfect. It's about the main hero discovering that the key to happiness and a good life lies within. (In the anime ending, anyway.) And I find that fitting, because to me, it's his father's anger, bitterness, and general unhappiness that drove him to become the man he was.

Even the movie isn't that depressing. It's about the cleansing of humanity. God wipes clean the slate of humanity and starts again with Shinji and Asuka as the new age Adam and Eve. What's more, it allows characters whose emotions were left repressed and unexplained to finally honestly show everything that they were, to express freely what they were holding in all along.

So I'm sorry if everyone was bothered by this, but...I guess I just see it differently. :-/

Edit: After reading that article, I must declare that woman a fool in my opinion. As a person of the Christian faith myself, I find that absolutely ridiculous. I consider myself no saint, but surely an anime isn't going to corrupt me. If a person's beliefs and faiths are given a good foundation and, in turn, involve into something strong and just, then something as simple as a possibly blasphemous anime shouldn't drive you to question God's plan. This woman is just covering the real fault at hand - that she has not raised her son to be honest and strong in the foundation of who he is spiritually.

-Pitten

Originally posted on: 19-Sep-2003, 03:48 GMT

YukiEiri [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby YukiEiri [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

Sane people do not kill anyone because of a TV show.This is almost identical to the times some idiots jumped off buildings because their D&D characters could do it...

The whole "Dungeons and Dragons is evil" craze got started there.

Take anything, anything at all, and somebody can gripe that it's "satanic".

That crossroads site claims that POKEMON is satanic, for cryin out loud, because of the ghost characters...
Pokemon may actually cause somebody to wanna shoot something, but it's not because "Satan uses cute pocket monsters to twist the minds of good people".

What a HUGE load of crap.

Originally posted on: 19-Sep-2003, 06:20 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

ChaoticSerenity wrote:Even the movie isn't that depressing. It's about the cleansing of humanity. God wipes clean the slate of humanity and starts again with Shinji and Asuka as the new age Adam and Eve.

I hate to nitpick however, all humanity can and will return to existance, listen to the lines towards the end of EoE or check some of the forums older posts.

Originally posted on: 19-Sep-2003, 06:42 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

^ Exactly. And god has no role in the plot of Eva (execpt being mentioned couple of times in a rather philosophical sense). The show has godlike beings and superficial religious imagery, but there's no religious message or anything like that in it. It's just good scince fiction.

Originally posted on: 19-Sep-2003, 09:33 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”