S2 Engine expirement. Pilot?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Soluzar wrote:Must be cool to be a 'trend-setter'. Image

"Cool"? Me? Gah-hah-hah-haaaaah!!!!

I definitely prefer using the -gouki terminology, rather than EVA-XX or anything like that. It just sounds better.

I just sort of flipflop between the two... The abbreviated forms "Zero" and "Sho" I like as well, but I could never get myself to call the other Evas "Ni", "San", "Yon", etc. But I agree, "-gouki" just kind of rolls off the tongue, though you do run into the problem of being not understood by "normal" anime fans when you use it.

my memory still needs further refreshing on some bits.

I just rewatch parts of the series as forum discussion demands. I rarely ever sit down and watch an entire episode anymore!

Well, this is a really silly question, I expect, but the Core is a sealed unit, as far as I am aware. If Shogouki 'took into herself' the S^2 from Zeruel, by consuming it, how would it get into the core? I expect that to go down in forum history as the most boneheaded of questions, but it does seem odd to me. Image

The core seems to have more versatility than its rock-hard exterior might make one think. In #20, the newly-constituted Shinji emerges from the core off-screen, so the core's 'crust' must have some degree of flexibility -- able to function as a 'membrane' (allow things to pass in and out of the interior when needed), and at the same time be able to resist incredible force when it's in trouble (see: Zeruel's bam-bam attack). Another example of this is in #26', when a concavity forms on the core's surface (another faux-vagina, apparently) before merging with the Spear (something I'm guessing Yui wanted to happen, once she got Shinji's 'approval'). The core's flexibility is also demonstrated in #23', when Zero's core actually expands visibly when it starts absorbing Armisael (but this property is limited, as eventually it breaches the threshold and cracks open, bizarre pinkish biomass bubbling out).

Also, #20 is kind of vague about what the hell Shinji's soul is doing, but apparently it entered EVA-01's core from the outside. This isn't quite the same as a physical object passing into it, though.

On a side note, this might be the property allowing the plugs to be inserted into the cores, negating the necessity of requiring a hole to constantly be there (an idea I never liked); the core simply yields to allow part of the plug to enter, and, if the Eva so desires, the plug can be ejected (suggested by the 'plug depth' change when Yui goes bousou in #02). When the plug is not present, the core automatically "reseals".

Considering all of this, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that biomass could enter the core from Sho's body proper. It's sort of beyond me how she manages to reconstruct an S^2 after swallowing its bloody chunks, though. It's a somewhat different phenomenon from her ability to regenerate her right arm from Zeruel's, as she had an arm to begin with and her body "knows" what structure to make. Not so with the S^2, since she was born without one. Maybe she possesses the genetic information for "building" an S^2, but in the engineering process this was intentionally "turned off" and she never grew one. (Sort of like how a male embryo develops into a female if it is missing the part of the Y chromosome that activates the masculinization of a developing embryo -- the "on switch" for maleness.) If so, though, presumably she'd be able to make her own and not need to take in the biomass comprising someone else's. Gah, confusing!

Hmm, s'funny. I could have sworn that one of the earliest threads I read when I came here was about the nature of the Spear. At the time I barely understood a word of it, but I had assumed that some conclusion was reached.

The MAGI hack files in NGE2 allude to the Spear's "failsafe" properties in Instrumentality (very, very vaguely), and we also know that it is a vessel of incredible power (able to breach ATFs and, apparently, facilitate Lilith's regeneration). The true nature of the thing still remains one of the more obnoxious mysteries. The "failsafe" thing is something I would never have guessed in a million years from what we are told in the series itself (unless there are some hidden hints that I'm forgetting; even the "Adam and Lilith are aliens' science projects" tidbit didn't come out of nowhere). Considering how recently this piece of data emerged, we haven't had much time to reevaluate the situation after being thrown back to square one.

So it's just #21, #22, #23, and #24 that have the new scenes in? Hmm, I have the Final Genesis volume with the reworked #24 on it, but not the previous volume. Hmm. I suppose I should buy it. Platinum still aren't up to that point yet, so not much point waiting for that...

Yeppers. The previous volume is worth getting for the diehard NGE fan, if because, for no other reason, the 'mysterious images' in the Rei tank sequence are removed in the Renewal version of #23'. There are a couple of other minor changes that were made, but they're much less noticeable.

Knives wrote:Reichu Image ... I know it's a pain, but it'd be helpful to know exactly what Ritsuko says in this scene in the Japanese. I need to watch the episode again to really remember exactly how she phrases it in the English even. Garh.

I'm assuming you're referring to this line specifically:

Ritsuko "S^2 kikan (S^2 engine/organ) o mizukara (for one's self, personally, consciously) torikonde iru (taking in, ingesting) to iu no? Eva Shogouki ga."

While I'm not really sure how to iu is functioning here, my own feeling is that Ritsuko is basically saying, "Is she purposely [i.e., for her own personal purposes] ingesting the S^2 engine/organ?", although you'll usually see the more vague, "Is she taking the S^2 engine into herself?". I'm no expert (very, very far from it, in fact), but the use of mizukara here instead of the more general jibun ("self")" seems to imply that Ritsuko is questioning not what the Eva is eating (or "assimilating"), but why she is eating it. Sort of the difference between, "Gee, are those bloody chunks hanging from her maw the Angel's S^2?" and "I can see that she's eating his S^2, but is it something that's she doing on a conscious level, with a definite agenda in mind?" Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Image

"Eva Shogouki ga" is really just the subject of Ritsuko's first sentence stated as an afterthought, in a way, which can be done more easily in Japanese (where it is more natural to omit the subject in the first place) than English. I guess an English equivalent might be, "So did he get the job? Your brother, I mean."

w00t w00t! Avians.net is back online! Scroll up and look at the pretty pictures!

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 02:35 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Considering all of this, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that biomass could enter the core from Sho's body proper. It's sort of beyond me how she manages to reconstruct an S^2 after swallowing its bloody chunks, though. It's a somewhat different phenomenon from her ability to regenerate her right arm from Zeruel's, as she had an arm to begin with and her body "knows" what structure to make. Not so with the S^2, since she was born without one. Maybe she possesses the genetic information for "building" an S^2, but in the engineering process this was intentionally "turned off" and she never grew one. (Sort of like how a male embryo develops into a female if it is missing the part of the Y chromosome that activates the masculinization of a developing embryo -- the "on switch" for maleness.) If so, though, presumably she'd be able to make her own and not need to take in the biomass comprising someone else's. Gah, confusing!

This is sort of what I had been suggesting on page 2 of this thread, but with different wording. What I was suggesting, was that if you equate the S^2 to a sort of "heart" ... it's not impossible to believe that Unit-01 has a "heart" organ that could possibly have been "built" (as you put it) upon (or improved upon via her regenerative skill we just witnessed) via the matter which she ingested from Zeruel.

Other than that ... I just got through reviewing the scene and noticed something that might put a dampener on the "Zeruel's S^2 is located in his neck" theory. When Ritsuko says that Unit-01 is taking the S^2 into herself, the Eva is actually positioned over Zeruel's chest. It's then after this statement that 01 leans down to start chomping on Zeruel's face and neck.

I'll try to see if I can get my cheap video player thingy on this computer to work (I'm missing the software) to get some screenshots ... but it might be a while :sigh: .

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 06:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Knives wrote:This is sort of what I had been suggesting on page 2 of this thread, but with different wording. What I was suggesting, was that if you equate the S^2 to a sort of "heart" ... it's not impossible to believe that Unit-01 has a "heart" organ that could possibly have been "built" (as you put it) upon (or improved upon via her regenerative skill we just witnessed) via the matter which she ingested from Zeruel.

The Evas have normal hearts; their innards are pretty much exactly the same as ours.

She eats an S^2, and is later spoken of as having her own S^2. Is there any need to complicate the matter by saying that she has some other organ that is never mentioned or alluded to anywhere in the show that is "upgraded" by means of the S^2?

Other than that ... I just got through reviewing the scene and noticed something that might put a dampener on the "Zeruel's S^2 is located in his neck" theory. When Ritsuko says that Unit-01 is taking the S^2 into herself, the Eva is actually positioned over Zeruel's chest. It's then after this statement that 01 leans down to start chomping on Zeruel's face and neck.

Well, it is just a theory...

I'll try to see if I can get my cheap video player thingy on this computer to work (I'm missing the software) to get some screenshots ... but it might be a while :sigh: .

Don't worry, I have all of the ones you need. But I'll post them later, when my roomie isn't around to tell me to get the hell to sleep...

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 09:00 GMT

TheUserName [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheUserName [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Knives wrote:It's true that some of the Angels don't have apparent cores ... (sorry, as big of a fan as I am, I haven't memorized the names yet, so I'm just going to butcher them with descriptions for now). The DNA strand (halo-type) ... the Virus ... and probably a couple others.

I touched on this in thewayneiac's most recent thread.

TheUserName wrote:Why can't a core, depending on the physical attributes of the Angel's bodily structure, be of different compositions then the red spherical object that where so used to seeing? Angels such as Armisael may well have cores, just not ones that conform to the conventional restraints of the red sphere's that the audience are revealed to.

The way this can work coincides with my earlier theroy on A.T Fields. To cite, maybe a soul is constantly expounding it's A.T Field, if this was so, then it would need something to trap it away until it was actually needed to expand. So we have a core, something that contain's the soul, and thus, the A. T Feild.

Basically, since every Angel has the ability of an A.T Field, then every Angel must have a core. Of course, this only applies if some of you are willing to accept my theory, which I fathom, not all of you will ^^;;;;

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 13:54 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Reichu wrote:Lilith is clearly stabbed in the chest, not in the abdominal region.

Oh well, nice idea while it lasted. Just chalk it down to fallible memory and the odd senior moment. Image

Invoking multiple stabbings (one obviously not shown in a TV series) to retrieve the hypothesis gets a bit beyond Ockham's razor.

OTOH, the bleeding in this picture emerges from behind her body directly below where the lance pierces her.

On the the 3rd tentacle, I don't expect that there was any deliberate use of Arthurian influences, so whatever might be found along those lines would be pure coincidence (or the Jungian collective unconscious in action).

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 14:09 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:She eats an S^2, and is later spoken of as having her own S^2. Is there any need to complicate the matter by saying that she has some other organ that is never mentioned or alluded to anywhere in the show that is "upgraded" by means of the S^2?

Who says it has to complicate anything. Someone else pointed out the difficulty in explaining how digesting an S^2 gives 01 one of its own. If anything, the "organ" theory simplifies things.

Reichu wrote:The Evas have normal hearts; their innards are pretty much exactly the same as ours.

I understand that ... hence why I put "heart" in quotes that entire time. I was using "heart" for lack of a better word. What I meant by "heart"-type organ was simply something essential and necessary for the Evas/Angels "operation" (for lack of a better word again ... my brain doesn't work in the morning).
>2nd EDIT
Particularly in the Angels (and later Unit-01), being that it's the S^2 which provides energy. It's not totally unfathomable to consider the idea that perhaps the Evas have some similar (but not the same) "organ" (given their biological natures and close relation to that of the Angels) that does this to some extent as well (i.e. the power from the umbilical cable could be transfered through this "organ" thus providing the Eva with energy [since, for whatever reason, not being an S^2 means it cannot sustain itself, but needs that outside source]).

This again, was basically what I had been suggesting. And again, this isn't coming from nowhere. It's coming from what we know about the show, and given the nature of the beings we're talking about.
>End 2nd EDIT

Mr. Tines wrote:OTOH, the bleeding in this picture emerges from behind her body directly below where the lance pierces her.

I noticed this too ... but was afraid to bring it up since everyone seemed to love the idea of ... bleeding ... from .. you know .. down there Image .

>EDIT
But ... looking again ... unless the wounds from the LoL remained in Lilith's back (unseen by the audience) ... the image in EoE as posted by Reichu would suggest their (gross) theory of Lilith being on her period 24/7 for all eternity.
>End EDIT

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 17:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:Invoking multiple stabbings (one obviously not shown in a TV series) to retrieve the hypothesis gets a bit beyond Ockham's razor.

Eh? I'm having trouble deciphering this one. :blush:

OTOH, the bleeding in this picture emerges from behind her body directly below where the lance pierces her.

And it's not possible that the bleeding would look the same if indeed it came from you-know-where? I'll look at manga vol. 5 when I get back to the dorm, since I believe Sadamoto shows us Lilith when she is initially skewered. I guess it would make sense if it came from the Spear wounds, but I figured the grosser alternative made its own kind of sense...

And Knives... Find some evidence in the show for this "organ" idea of yours and maybe I'll consider it. As far as I can tell, it's 100% speculation.

EVA-01's ability to assimilate Zeruel's Super-Solenoid isn't so farfetched considering what she does with his left arm. (Although it did take the old geezers by surprise.) Considering that the point about Yui-sama obtaining the Super Solenoid (or, alternatively, Fruit of Life) is reiterated many, many times, just accept that she has an S^2 and not some unmentioned "vital organ"!

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 22:06 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Tines Invoking multiple stabbings (one obviously not shown in a TV series) to retrieve the hypothesis gets a bit beyond Ockham's razor.
Eh? I'm having trouble deciphering this one. :blush:
He's saying his theory doesn't really play out.
That theory being what was mentioned ... Lilith's bleeding from the wounds. In particular, I believe he was suggesting (in particular) that the theory that she was impaled once (i.e. multiple stabbings not shown) in the stomach was rather unreasonable, given Ockham's Razor.

Reichu wrote:And Knives... Find some evidence in the show for this "organ" idea of yours and maybe I'll consider it. As far as I can tell, it's 100% speculation.

I don't need someone in the show to point out "Hey, Shinji has a penis" to know that he has one (though ... it is sort of pointed out in episode ... 8 is it?).
I know this to be true by the sheer nature of Shinji being a boy.

There are certain things one can know without them being spelled out specifically. You don't need evidence from the show to support it. It's in the very nature of a thing (i.e. it's in the very nature of Shinji being a boy, that it necessarily follows that he must have a penis).
>EDIT
To put it in other words, I can say without speculating, but with complete certainty, that given the fact that Shinji is a boy, it must necessarily follow that he has a penis.
>End EDIT

[Sorry ... Image This was the first example to come to mind, and the only one I can come up with at the moment]

Given this ... I will further express, via these means and "evidence" in the show to support what I've been suggesting.

The Evas use umbilical cables to transfer energy to them, yes? Yes.
^Evidence from the show^ (we know this to be true)

Now ... on to the "nature of a thing"...
[Excuse this poor explanation - a technician or electrician would be able to better explain it than I ... all I can merely do is use laymen's terms.]

"I"
It is the nature of things that use energy to have some sort of "transference" of that energy.
For instance - when you plug in your computer, electricity is transfered from the wall outlet, to the computer ... but before it becomes usable energy, it goes through a little transfer in the AC adapter (... I don't think this is the right term for what I'm thinking of, but I'll just go with it). It's not like you could just put the plug into any part of the computer and make it function. The electricity has to be "managed" so to speak.
For this reason, and for the fact that we know energy is being transfered into the Eva from the umbilical cable, it is highly likely that there must be some sort of "mechanism/organ" in the body of the Evas that utilizes this energy (a conduit of sorts), because it is the very nature of bodies that such a transference take place.

"II"
Given that we know in Angels, this power source to be the S^2 (a self-sustaining energy source) and given the similar nature and design (genetic or otherwise) of the Evas, it is highly likely to be the case that the "mechanism/organ" the Evas must have (given section "I"), that this "mechanism/organ" be a sort of quasi-S^2, non-functioning S^2 ... or perhaps even, rather than "super" solenoid, simply a "solenoid."
>2nd EDIT
That is to say ... one which is not self-sustaining.
>End 2nd EDIT

"III" [added after having the brilliant thought to check the defintion of "solenoid" ... I'm such a genius Image ]
solenoid:
a coil of wire usually in cylindrical form that when carrying a current acts like a magnet so that a movable core is drawn into the coil when a current flows and that is used especially as a switch or control for a mechanical device (as a valve)

[I'll point out, I've had and put forth this theory long before looking up "solenoid" ... and now, having done so, it seems only to support what I've been saying Image Thank goodness .. eheh]

I don't really have much else to say other than that.
I think it's rather clear given I, II and III.
But that's not to suggest you have no room for disagreement. There's always room for disagreement ... it's like Jello Pudding.
I'm just saying it all fits into place extremely well.

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 00:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Why would the Evas automatically have an organ that processes the electricity from the umbilical cable? Keep in mind that in their original state, Evas are not meant to have things plugged into the back of them, nor have long cylindrical objects jammed into their thoracic cavities. They are both artificial add-ons that Nerv have imposed.

The only "cyborgized" part of the Evas are the length of vertebrae that has been replaced (from base of skull to mid-back) and the various thingies related to that. All of these technological alterations involve the central nervous system in some way. Since the concentric outlet is on the Evas' backs, perhaps the electricity they receive is routed through the nervous system and somehow reaches body cells from there? Granted, that's blatantly n00bish speculation. (I really need to do some research on these biological matters.) At any rate, my assumption always was (perhaps incorrectly) that the Evas are "fed" pure energy (in the form of electricity) to more directly acheive what we do by digesting food and producing ATP. The exact matter of how the energy from the cable (or the "internal battery" for that matter, which I suspect is somewhere in that bulky armor on their shoulders) gets to the cells would be dealt with by the associated technological implants. (There remains the question of how a battery attached to the shoulder pylons powers the Eva, though, considering the pylons aren't really that integrated with the Eva herself.)

Anyway, just some alternatives I thought I'd mention.

Just checked the manga. Not like it's authoritative or anything, but Sadamoto depicts Lilith as bleeding prior to the skewering:

He rearranges the events from #14 and #15, obviously. The skewering happens later in the same volume:

One odd thing I thought I'd mention is that Sadamoto depicts Lilith with some dark blood dribbling out from under the mask. This detail is actually taken from the sketches from the panning shot from #15 (posted earlier):

And you can see it more clearly here:

The blood was omitted in the actual episode, though it seems to imply that, originally, they intended for the LCL oozing out of gawd-knows-where to be something apart from "normal" blood. Later on, though, they seemed to make the decision that Lilith's blood is -all- LCL, as indicated when the Spear is pulled out of her in #22':

Something to consider, anyway. I personally think that there are much more interesting and profound thematic connections to be made if Lilith is bleeding from her womb as opposed to from Spear wounds.

At the moment, I forget what I was going to do with these on this thread (I'm tired as hell), but since you wanted screenshots from #19, Knives, here are some that might be useful for what we were discussing earlier:

http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_01.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_02.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_03.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_04.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_05.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_06.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_07.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sna...19_food!_08.jpg

And, just for comparison's sake, some key panels from Sadamoto's version:

http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sca...3_bite-neck.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sca...op_straddle.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sca...ottom_kinky.jpg
http://www.evamonkey.com/reichu/sca...,_goku'.jpg

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 03:26 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Why would the Evas automatically have an organ that processes the electricity from the umbilical cable? Keep in mind that in their original state, Evas are not meant to have things plugged into the back of them, nor have long cylindrical objects jammed into their thoracic cavities. They are both artificial add-ons that Nerv have imposed.

You're sort of putting words in my mouth ... but I don't fault you for it.
Allow me to further explain:
"Why would the Evas automatically have an organ that processes the electricity from the umbilical cable?"
I didn't say this was the case. I said given that they do have this umbilical cable providing them with energy/electricity, there must be something in the body which converts/utilizes that energy.

A "for instance": a pacemaker is a similar device ... I don't know the exact workings of the pacemaker, but what I know is this — it provides the body with what it needs to keep going (in this case, keeps the heart functioning).
What's my point? Simply because the pacemaker is artificial, does not mean the heart is artificial.

Reichu wrote:The only "cyborgized" part of the Evas are the length of vertebrae that has been replaced (from base of skull to mid-back) and the various thingies related to that. All of these technological alterations involve the central nervous system in some way. Since the concentric outlet is on the Evas' backs, perhaps the electricity they receive is routed through the nervous system and somehow reaches body cells from there? Granted, that's blatantly n00bish speculation. (I really need to do some research on these biological matters.)

It would seem to me that any amount of electricity thrown into the central nervous system without management would leave the Evas a twitching mass of flesh and armor just waiting to be thwomped on.
Beyond that, I would suggest, if anything at all, that all this work on the central nervous system would suggest is an integration of the pilot's controls into the Eva — this would appear to follow from the point you've made more than anything else.

Reichu wrote:Something to consider, anyway. I personally think that there are much more interesting and profound thematic connections to be made if Lilith is bleeding from her womb as opposed to from Spear wounds.

I am beginning to agree with you on this point ... however gross it may be.

>EDIT
I'll address the screenshots later ... other things to attend to now ... :sigh:
Thanks for providing them though Image .
>End EDIT

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 06:27 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Reichu wrote:Eh? I'm having trouble deciphering this one. :blush:

Longer form:

I could have tried to rescue the Grail Queen hypothesis by saying that Lilith was stabbed in the womb at some point, which was not shown on camera, before being pinned as shown. That just makes up data (or at best, makes an untestable conjecture), so on grounds of economy of thought, the hypothesis should be rejected.

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 07:20 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Ok ... in regards to a semi-related matter ... Unit-01 eating Zeruel.

Here's what I wanted to point out:

[I've highlighted the key points with high-tech Paintbrush programming Image ]

Image "I"
Here, Yui's seen pulling on part of Zeruel's face before pummeling part of it.

Image "II"
After taking care of his eye blasts (by smashing his face), we see Yui hunched over Zeruel's chest having herself a grand ol' feast.

It's here that Ritsuko begins talking about Unit-01 taking the S^2 into herself.

Image "III"
After this is when we see her hunch down toward Zeruel's face and neck region and take the first bite from this section:

All I'm suggesting is this clearly shows the S^2 she gains, clearly isn't from the neck, as previously put forth, but instead from the chest region ... the area around the core.

Image "I + II"
It's hard to see from the pictures ... it's easier to see in the show.
To compare ... if you place the images one over the other, you get something like this (in regards to the position of things):

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 11:49 GMT

TheUserName [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

The Nervous System is the body's information gatherer, storage center and control system. Its overall function is to collect information about the external conditions in relation to the body's internal state, to analyze this information, and to initiate appropriate responses to satisfy certain needs (Maintain Homeostasis). The most powerful of these needs is survival. The nerves do not form one single system, but several which are interrelated. Some of these are physically separate, others are different in function only. The brain and spinal cord make up the Central Nervous System (CNS). The Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) is responsible for the body functions which are Not under conscious control - like the heartbeat or the digestive system. The smooth operation of the Peripheral Nervous System is achieved by dividing it into Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Systems. These are opposing actions and check on each other to provide a balance. The nervous system uses electrical impulses, which travel along the length of the cells (Neurons). The cell processes information from the sensory nerves and initiates an action within milliseconds. These impulses can travel at up to 250 miles per hour, while other Systems such as the Endocrine System may take many hours to respond with hormones.

The central nervous system already operates by passing tiny electrical impulse currents through the body, the system then operates in such a way that it will tend to the needs to the body accordingly.

The fact that the Eva's in question, are such a huge operating entity, it wouldn't suprise me to think that they need 'more' electrical impulses' passed through there body then a normal human would, to cater for it's immense size (thus, the umbilical cable). Secondly, the fact that such a system relays information back to itself using these impulses, one could summarise (in Eva terms) that the electrical current is somehow linked to the pilot's synchronisation with the Eva. I'd imagine that this works so that instead of the system informing the Eva to what it needs, it uses the pilot instead. Thus, creating a sensory perception so that the pilot feels what otherwise the Eva would only feel.

To go even further with this (and I may be spreading things a little to thickly here) one might also think that the regenaritive process of the Eva (first seen in Ep. 2) is initiated by this system. To cite:

Its overall function is to collect information about the external conditions in relation to the body's internal state, to analyze this information, and to initiate appropriate responses to satisfy certain needs[/u](Maintain Homeostasis).

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 13:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Knives wrote:Here, Yui's seen pulling on part of Zeruel's face before pummeling part of it.

Well, just to nitpick, she pummels it just as she crawls on top of him -- he was about to give her another eye-blast, but having his face smashed in seems to eliminate whatever fighting spirit he had left. Image THEN she pulls on it, narrows her eyes, teeth closeup, and digs in.

And yes, you're correct about the whole "eating from the core" bit. Though a few things seem to be a bit odd...

A) In the manga, Yui is focusing on the head/neck and seeming to ignore the core completely. (This could just be Sadamoto being weird.)
B) In the show, Yui seems to show initial interest in the head/neck, but we only see her eating it last. (I.e., why don't they show her lasciviously eyeing his core instead?)
C) Considering how hard the crust of a core is, how was Yui able to just "dig in" using her teeth alone? Did it suddenly become soft and squishy just to facilitate her feeding frenzy? Image

EDIT:
Knives wrote:You're sort of putting words in my mouth ... but I don't fault you for it.

Well, so long as we're separate individuals and not part of some huge mind orgy, misunderstandings happen. Image

I didn't say this was the case. I said given that they do have this umbilical cable providing them with energy/electricity, there must be something in the body which converts/utilizes that energy.

Well, okay... So considering it plugs into their back, where do you propose it goes from there?

It would seem to me that any amount of electricity thrown into the central nervous system without management would leave the Evas a twitching mass of flesh and armor just waiting to be thwomped on.

Image Well, remember, electricity seems to work differently in the NGE universe as convenience demands. For example, the electric current in the LCL doesn't electrocute the pilot. Image

Beyond that, I would suggest, if anything at all, that all this work on the central nervous system would suggest is an integration of the pilot's controls into the Eva — this would appear to follow from the point you've made more than anything else.

Well, like I said, the theory needs some work. But, about what you just said, if you have a moment, can you take a look at part 8 of the episode #01 commentary (see: link in sig)? There's a bit of Blatant Speculation (TM) on the matter there, and no one in our group has really bothered commenting on it...

I am beginning to agree with you on this point ... however gross it may be.

Oh, p'shaw, if you're a woman it's not that gross. If nothing else, we get to laugh at Lilith for having it so much worse than we do. But anyway, the whole thing does have some purpose. LCL is compared to primordial soup, primordial soup is where carbon-based life first developed, and LCL is shown coming out of Lilith's womb -- hence reinforcing the idea that we were "born" from her, however indirectly. Lilith's neverending period is also an interesting counterpoint to vague insinuations in Rei's monologue (#14) that Rei herself does not menstruate.

But I do wonder, was Lilith engineered to be constantly bleeding LCL, or only sometimes? While EVA-01 was growing out of her, apparently Lilith was not bleeding, but that was probably because she had an Eva coming out of her womb instead... One thing worth thinking about is that she seems to suffer no ill effects from bleeding 24/7, but producing an Eva eroded away her limbs. It's been considered that Nerv is actually MAKING her bleed, possibly through the assistance of the various tubes going into the back of her head, and that she wouldn't be doing this normally -- but, then, that seems to put a damper on the "womb --> LCL --> life" idea.

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 13:56 GMT

TheUserName [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Well, like I said, the theory needs some work. But, about what you just said, if you have a moment, can you take a look at part 8 of the episode #01 commentary (see: link in sig)? There's a bit of Blatant Speculation (TM) on the matter there, and no one in our group has really bothered commenting on it...

I did. One post back. Am I on your ignore list or something??? Image

Anway, the source of electrical energy provided to the Eva via the umbilical cable may well be the stimulus behind the functionality of how the pilot synchronizes with the Eva. To cite from the source I provided in my previous thread, a persons electrical impulses (in this case the Eva's) are used to pass on information through the central nervous system, and reports back what the Eva needs or needs to do, response wise. Now naturally this is the very reason why the pilot must synch with the Eva, to know what the Eva feels and take the neccasary actions accordingly.

So, the way in which a pilot synch's with the Eva, in a techical aspect of things (ignoring the bond), is that the pilot receives the Eva's feeling through the electrical impulses being carried in it's nervous system.

As for the actual control's in the entry plug of the Eva, there probaly powered by the transmition of the Eva's impulses through the pilots. Kind of like an electrical chain, the passing on of the energy current so to speak.

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 15:57 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

TheUserName wrote:I did. One post back. Am I on your ignore list or something??? Image

Heh, why would I put you on my ignore list? I was referring specifically to that really long write-up on the entry plug system and how it works that is in the episode #01 commentary. No one has ever responded specifically to that.

Anway, the source of electrical energy provided to the Eva via the umbilical cable may well be the stimulus behind the functionality of how the pilot synchronizes with the Eva.

When they run out of power, they stop moving (save for a few special instances). Is it really so farfetched to think that the electricity the Evas receive is used to provide energy to their body (muscle cells and such)? Granted, some electricity is utilized in the entry plug, but from what I recall that is used to modify the molecular composition of the LCL.

The key to how the pilot synchronizes with the Eva is through the A^10 nerve. The odd thing is, the pilot's brain needs to synchronize with the Eva's resident SOUL -- hardly a neurological component -- yet it puts them "in charge" of the Eva's central nervous system, allowing them to send signals out to the Eva and receiving signals back. Based on how our nervous systems work, as you posted, one would assume that electricity plays some part in this, but I think that this is a matter considered separately from how the Evas use raw energy to move.

EDIT: Considering the idea that the external power (or "internal", from the battery, which I doubt is truly "internal" at all) gives power to all of the body cells, this would naturally include the nervous system and the electric impulses it uses to communicate. Why didn't I just say that in the first place? Image

As for the actual control's in the entry plug of the Eva, there probaly powered by the transmition of the Eva's impulses through the pilots. Kind of like an electrical chain, the passing on of the energy current so to speak.

Have you considered Shin-seiki's idea (posted in part A of the episode #02 commentary), out of curiosity?

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 16:33 GMT

TheUserName [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Heh, why would I put you on my ignore list? I was referring specifically to that really long write-up on the entry plug system and how it works that is in the episode #01 commentary. No one has ever responded specifically to that.

Sorry, I'm just used to being quoted Image

When they run out of power, they stop moving (save for a few special instances). Is it really so farfetched to think that the electricity the Evas receive is used to provide energy to their body (muscle cells and such)?

I think a good proportion of the electrical charge could well be accounted for this, yes, although not all. As you mentioned, electrical charge is needed for the molecular conversion of LCL, etc.

The key to how the pilot synchronizes with the Eva is through the A^10 nerve. The odd thing is, the pilot's brain needs to synchronize with the Eva's resident SOUL -- hardly a neurological component -- yet it puts them "in charge" of the Eva's central nervous system, allowing them to send signals out to the Eva and receiving signals back. Based on how our nervous systems work, as you posted, one would assume that electricity plays some part in this, but I think that this is a matter considered separately from how the Evas use raw energy to move.

How dont we know that the A^10 nerve(s) aren't somehow connected to the proceeding's of the Eva's electrical feed? They may well be powered by it when the Eva actually is deployed? It's just specualtion I know, but you've gotta start somewhere...

EDIT: Considering the idea that the external power (or "internal", from the battery, which I doubt is truly "internal" at all) gives power to all of the body cells, this would naturally include the nervous system and the electric impulses it uses to communicate. Why didn't I just say that in the first place? Image

I very much suport this. The umbilical cable's many uses, in my opinion, is to provide the correct balance of electrical impulses within the Eva, so that it can succesfully support the functions of the pilot's synchronization.

Umbilical Cable > electricity > Eva's nervous system > relayed back to the pilot for synch. Naturally of course we cant discount the involvement of the A^10 nerve cells in such a scenario.

Have you considered Shin-seiki's idea (posted in part A of the episode #02 commentary), out of curiosity?

I'll check it out Image

Originally posted on: 26-Oct-2004, 19:09 GMT

BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Easier than cutting an Eva open and sticking it in later?

It was in a line at some point. I'll dig it up tomorow.

Actually that does make some sense. First, if the DID salvage the S^2 from one of the dead angels, then why didn't they stick it one the already finished and ready to go Unit-03? Second, Wasn't it one said that the S^2 in Unit-03 was made in Germany before it was shiped to Nevada?

Just a thought...

Originally posted on: 27-Oct-2004, 05:20 GMT

Rabid Monkey [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid Monkey [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:39 am

Knives wrote:It would seem to me that any amount of electricity thrown into the central nervous system without management would leave the Evas a twitching mass of flesh and armor just waiting to be thwomped on.

There is management. The infusion of high electric current's are controlled through the spinal cord which processes the power like that of a human's would.

The spinal cord in question connects a large part of the peripheral nervous system to the brain. Information (nerve impulses) reaching the spinal cord through sensory neurons are transmitted up into the brain. Signals arising in the motor areas of the brain travel back down the cord and leave in the motor neurons.

Now naturally, the Eva's dont have need of a brain, as all of their emotional and operational function's outside of there technical confines are controlled through the core. However replace the brain in this equation with the entry-plug and it's plain to see the need for the high infusion of such a current.

The entry plug needs sufficent enough power to support and maintain all of it's necassary operation's, to ensure that the piliot's life, aswell as their ability to pilot are all at their highest working potential. At least in theory.

On a side note, there is an artificial spinal construction implemented in the base of Eva 01's skull and down past the bottom of the shoulder blades. Iv'e always been under the impression that this was built to effectively conduct the current into the entry-plug system for power, instead of relying completely on the natural selection of Eva 01's spinal cord.

Originally posted on: 03-Nov-2004, 12:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:39 am

Out of curiosity, if the power from the cable or batteries just goes towards nerve impulses and entry plug functioning, what powers the Eva's actual body cells?

Also, saying that the Evas "don't need a brain" seems somewhat akin to arguing that humans, in NGE, don't "need" one either, considering that they seem to be able to think and do the usual human things as disembodied red dots with no bodies at all... But I digress. I do think that the Evas' brains serve a purpose, but the Evas, due to the core, simply aren't dependent on them in the way that we are. Even so, I have a hard time imagining an Eva, even a 'berserk' one, running around and beating the crap out of things if her head's been cut off.

On your last note, Anon, here's what was already written in the commentary. As I've said, though, I never DID get any feedback on any of it...

Reichu: :shiver: Entry plugs... The entry plug system is very interesting and unique, in a rather icky way. The Evas are living creatures, so they obviously didn't start out being able to house this long, cylindrical object in their upper body. The entry system is, in fact, the most basic (and intrusive) of the "modifications" made to them.

felineki: According to Sore o nasumono: Neon Genesis Evangelion Concept Design Works (by Ikuto Yamashita and Seiji Kio), a portion of the Eva's upper spinal column is composed of implanted "artificial bone." [Image] The light bone-colored plates you see exposed in Sho's upper back here correspond with a sketch included in the book illustrating the artificial spine section. According to the sketch, this section runs from the base of the skull all the way to past the bottom of the shoulder blades! This section of spine is also partially exposed, whereas the rest of the body still has skin. It seems possible that during the "creation" process of an Evangelion, the portion of spine that is to be replaced is simply ripped out and the artificial section shoved in and left exposed.

Reichu: Well, "ripped out" seems a bit harsh... It's done neatly enough that they probably did some kind of precision surgery. Not to mention the phony part would have to be properly articulated with the remaining genuine spine. But there are actually muscles that attach to one's vertebrae; how the hell did they deal with that?

felineki: The artificial section of spine does seem to be composed of "vertebrae" parts and have some degree of flexibility. The strangest feature would have to be the plug hole, which would seem to go completely through the spinal column. The entry plug is inserted at an approximately 45 degree angle (if some of the more accurate Evangelion models are any indication), which would bring the leading edge of the plug into or near the solar plexus region of the Eva, coming into contact with, or possibly even penetrating into, the core. (More evidence of the plug's proximity to the core appears in later episodes.)

Reichu: Additionally, I would guess that there is an interior part to the entry system that actually receives the plug. Otherwise, they'd be sticking it straight into the Eva's thoracic cavity, which could potentially be rather messy...

felineki: The top (or back) of the plug settles flush with the artificial spine at around the base of the neck. The plug likely interfaces with the equivalent of the spinal cord in this region, theoretically allowing control of most of the muscles of the Eva's body.

Reichu: Not to mention the complete mutilation of the Eva's spine is certainly the fundamental means by which Nerv keeps them under control. If your brain is severed from your central nervous system, have a fun time moving the rest of your body. (Would that make the Evas glorified quadriplegics?) But as we saw back around 274, there are ways around this. ;;>

Also notice how the artificial vertebrae are mechanically integrated with the outer armor (the top and bottom entry plug lid, and such)... Speaking of which, is it just me, or is it the plug cap that pushes Shogouki's head forward when it rises?

Originally posted on: 03-Nov-2004, 16:46 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”