Rei was in love with Gendou???

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

UberDirector wrote:Or is it possible that Rei, being an angel, was buddying up to Gendo to complete her goal of initiating 3I all along, and never really gave a rat's *** about him.

I never liked that theory, it lack any evidence, and ignores things that happed in the show.

Well we know thats not true by several things she says during the series. Most importantly in episodes 25, we see her feeling for Gendo. She says something to the effect that she knows Gendo will leave her, and she per pared for that day, but now she fears it.

Edit- Also think about how calm, relaxed and passive Rie is. And what did she do when Shinji talked negatively about Gendo? She smacked him. In the elevator with Asuka she said she would die for him.

As for as I know there is no evidence to back up that Rei was "buddying up to Gendo" just to get Adam. She may have not even known he had it.

Originally posted on: 08-Aug-2003, 17:38 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

I don't think that Rei loved Gendou...Rei took orders from anyone who she needed to listen to, not just Gendou. Some of the evidence that was said happens very early in the series, before realized that she was his doll.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 00:54 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Her feelings defiantly changed at the end. But there are so many examples of her showing affection to Gendo. From the ones I gave in the beginning, to even in latter episodes such as when she was in dummy plug system, and when she saw Gendo she smilied (Thats a lot for Rei Image). And that thing from episodes 25.

She took orders from Ritz and Misato, but never showed any affection towards them. (Obviously not in a romantic way :lolImage

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:05 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

saiyajin prince wrote:I don't think that Rei loved Gendou...Rei took orders from anyone who she needed to listen to, not just Gendou. Some of the evidence that was said happens very early in the series, before realized that she was his doll.

I would think that seeing a smilling image of Gendo before blowing herself up would signify a degree of importance to Rei.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:09 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

When did she smiled?

Oh and also, I think that she was made like that. She was made to feel no emotions so Gendou using her would be no problem, but after actually having someone close to her (Shinji) she began to fear what Gendou had planned for her and releazed that he was just using her...The only time I saw saw acutally smiled was for Shinji when they fought Ramiel, and I almost forgot, his glasses. She always had it close to her but you can the in EoE that she really didn't care anymore and broke it. Also in the DC, when she came back from the hospital after fighting Armisael she almost brought herself to breaking it but couldn't no it just yet. As time went her feelings and admiration for Gendou gradually went away.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:15 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

Yes, but the way you said it made it seem that you beleive that Gendo had no significant importance to Rei and that he's just another person she's following orders for.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:18 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

saiyajin prince wrote:When did she smiled?

The only time I saw saw acutally smiled was for Shinji when they fought Ramiel, and I almost forgot, his glasses.

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/Reismile.jpg

She also smiled when she was talking to Gendo when Shinji is watching from his Eva.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:24 GMT

Shuboltz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shuboltz [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:02 am

well that was rei2 but how about rei3? i don't remember her smiling.

edit:
i think the reason why Rei betrayed gendou in the end is because the Rei that was mostly with her (which is rei2) is gone. she's the third one and she barely know what had has happened to her. she doesn't remember gendou saving her or Shinji. she's a brand new Rei with a brand new attitude.

it's like Rei's love for gendo vanished in think air with unit 00

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 01:27 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

Shuboltz wrote:i think the reason why Rei betrayed gendou in the end is because the Rei that was mostly with her (which is rei2) is gone. she's the third one and she barely know what had has happened to her. she doesn't remember gendou saving her or Shinji. she's a brand new Rei with a brand new attitude.

it's like Rei's love for gendo vanished in think air with unit 00
I agree.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 02:11 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

Shuboltz wrote:it's like Rei's love for gendo vanished in think air with unit 00
Insert half soul theory here: Flashback to EP6. Rei's "I'm bonded to it line." --- Loose fan translation..."That bastard Gendo stuck part of my soul in his giant robot and the other half in this crappy clone. So I can't do anything to him until I get it back." ---- possibility...
.. So when Unit00 and it's core explode, Rei gets the leash of Gendo removed.

tv33 wrote:Also think about how calm, relaxed and passive Rie is. And what did she do when Shinji talked negatively about Gendo? She smacked him.
I feel the urge to slap the hell out of Shinji too. Dosn't mean I like Gendo. Besides... ask the shinto nation about bad mouthing your elders and see how unusual a slap is.

tv33 wrote:In the elevator with Asuka she said she would die for him.
Means absolutely nothing. With all the time Rei spent in the plug system, she had to know about the other Rei's floating a couple of feet away. Dieing is a means to an end for her. She will be right back.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 04:13 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

UberDirector wrote:I feel the urge to slap the hell out of Shinji too. Dosn't mean I like Gendo. Besides... ask the shinto nation about bad mouthing your elders and see how unusual a slap is.

So your telling me the only reason she smacked Shinji was because he was "bad mouthing" an elder? That make a lot of sense..... Image. That whole statement pretty much defies all logic, and reason.

UberDirector wrote:Dieing is a means to an end for her. She will be right back.

How is it a means to an end, if she will be right back? What is this end you speak of? If she will be right back, then what is the end? What means is she trying to accomplish?

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 05:18 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:So your telling me the only reason she smacked Shinji was because he was "bad mouthing" an elder? That make a lot of sense..... Image. That whole statement pretty much defies all logic, and reason.
It's perfectly logical once you stop thinking like an American teenager. This came from the nation which has a whole culture of respect based largely on age differences. They have a whole language subset based entirely on how to properly address people older than you. THEY WORSHIP THEIR ANCESTORS. Being rude or offensive about an elder is a grievous mis-step.

How is it a means to an end, if she will be right back? What is this end you speak of? If she will be right back, then what is the end? What means is she trying to accomplish?
This demonstrates an important point in Evangelion that a lot of viewers miss. When Asuka and Rei have their converstaion in the elavator, they are coming from two radically different viewpoints. If Asuka were to die fighting an angel, that would be it. She's dead, kaput... no more. If Rei dies, they just pop her into a new Rei and the day goes on. Death is radically different for the two girls. For Asuka it is an amazingly important driving force to be avoided, for Rei it's just another thing on the to do list for the day. So naturally, when Asuka makes the aformentioned statement to Rei, it is of great significance to her. However to Rei, it is tanteamount to putting gas in the car.... just another thing that needs to be done.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 05:38 GMT

Ikaruga [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikaruga [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

UberDirector wrote:Or is it possible that Rei, being an angel, was buddying up to Gendo to complete her goal of initiating 3I all along, and never really gave a rat's *** about him.

Rei isn't an Angel. She just has the soul of the progenitor of humanity, Lilith.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:02 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ikaruga wrote:Rei isn't an Angel. She just has the soul of the progenitor of humanity, Lilith.
sooo.... Lilith isn't the second angel anymore???

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:04 GMT

Ikaruga [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikaruga [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

She is and isn't. She is according to the "list" of Angels. But then going by that, everything would be an Angel. The other definition of an Angel is (according to the EoE Theatrical Program): "Beings originated from the source of life called Adam.". Lilith didn't originate from Adam, so that means she isn't an Angel.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:07 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

UberDirector wrote:It's perfectly logical once you stop thinking like an American teenager. This came from the nation which has a whole culture of respect based largely on age differences. They have a whole language subset based entirely on how to properly address people older than you. THEY WORSHIP THEIR ANCESTORS. Being rude or offensive about an elder is a grievous mis-step.

You compleatly side stepped the question. So your telling me the only reason she smacked Shinji was because he was "bad mouthing" an elder? Them why did she not smack Asuka, when she back talked to Misato? To assume that is the part that defies all logic, and reason.

UberDirector wrote:This demonstrates an important point in Evangelion that a lot of viewers miss. When Asuka and Rei have their converstaion in the elavator, they are coming from two radically different viewpoints. If Asuka were to die fighting an angel, that would be it. She's dead, kaput... no more. If Rei dies, they just pop her into a new Rei and the day goes on. Death is radically different for the two girls. For Asuka it is an amazingly important driving force to be avoided, for Rei it's just another thing on the to do list for the day. So naturally, when Asuka makes the aformentioned statement to Rei, it is of great significance to her. However to Rei, it is tanteamount to putting gas in the car.... just another thing that needs to be done.

Once again you completely side stepped the question, so I will ask it again. How is it a means to an end, if she will be right back? What is this end you speak of? If she will be right back, then what is the end? What means is she trying to accomplish?

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:11 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

That would also mean that Adam isn't the first angel... which would mean that second impact never happened... which kinda puts a cramp on the Evangelion story line.

Any who... sematics aside... It's pretty plain that Liliths goal was 3I... which she managed to fire up pretty nicely if I may say so.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:12 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:You compleatly side stepped the question. So your telling me the only reason she smacked Shinji was because he was "bad mouthing" an elder?
Primarily, Yes

Them why did she not smack Asuka, when she back talked to Misato?
Please be a little more specific, as I can not recall every scene of EVA from the top of my head
To assume that is the part that defies all logic, and reason.
But assuming it was because she loves Gendo is fine?

UberDirector wrote:... to complete her goal of initiating 3I all along...
It pays to read the whole thread...
If Rei has to snuff it a couple of times, it is no big deal for her. They poppped her into three different bodies in the span of 26 eps., why should she care if it takes four or five to get her job done?

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:21 GMT

tbozfan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tbozfan [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:03 am

What Shinji said about Gendo was rightfully said.
If Asuka or Misato would have bad mothed their parents, Rei would not have given a flying flip.
Rei hit Shinji for bad mouthing
Gendo .

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:22 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

tbozfan wrote:What Shinji said about Gendo was rightfully said.
If Asuka or Misato would have bad mothed their parents, Rei would not have given a flying flip.
Rei hit Shinji for bad mouthing
Gendo .

Thank you!!

It pays to read the whole thread...
If Rei has to snuff it a couple of times, it is no big deal for her. They poppped her into three different bodies in the span of 26 eps., why should she care if it takes four or five to get her job done?

It also pays to remember what you wrote. If the Commander ordered her to kill herself.

Dieing is a means to an end for her. She will be right back.

How is it a means to an end, if she comes right back?

But assuming it was because she loves Gendo is fine?

Its is when there are about 40 other examples.

Originally posted on: 09-Aug-2003, 06:27 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”