Is RahXephon a copy of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Rydis [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rydis [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

No need for a big debate. Answer is "no".

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 07:40 AM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

In both series, the top-ranking leader of the cryptic organization (Bahbem Foundation/SEELE) is revealed to actually be not quite human. Lord Bahbem is a being that can possess bodies and has done so to live for tens of thousands of years. Chairman Keel's body was more robotic than human by the time he died.

Wow just wow......

How long till someone does an Eureka Seven is ripping Evangelion off site?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 08:54 AM

Captain Murphy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Captain Murphy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Quote: Originally Posted by EvaXephon It doesn't matter if RahXephon copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that Evangelion copied Ranma ½. That is not changed if RahXephon copied something else.

Fixed that for you. Yeah, but remember, Ranma 1/2 ripped off the hot/cold changes and the wacky hijinks that comes along with such transformations from Turbo Teen. Image

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 09:46 AM

Rydis [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rydis [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Here is proof your going out of your way to say their similar. Both shows originated in Japan. Now in page to, you put the first word 1 (and not a main character at that) says damn. Then you say the first word Misato says is damn (however this applies to english only you say).

Right there you just similarized two different dialects to make them similar. Since both shows originated in Japan, you can't say that 1 show is similar to the other when the words are changed between languages.

Failed.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 10:15 AM

senseinobaka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby senseinobaka [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Does Rah copy Eva on...

Story...no

Characterization....no(just cuz Ayoto is annoying and wimmpy does not make him Shinji)

Direction....no(albiet it has certain allusions to Anno's style)

Art Style.... no

Now does Rah copy Eva at all....??
yes, like Eva its fullied with allusions to other anime. These allusions dont make a series unoriginal as some have claimed about EVa and you seem to claim about Rah, it just shows that an artist has no qualms about alluding to another that influenced him/her.

Have you sat back and let your mind chew on this idea...."if Rah was a copy of Eva then wouldnt Rah be....good?"

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 11:08 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

I'll show you infidels how it's done:

1. Step one
2. Step two
3. ??????
4. Profit!

...And thus it is conclusively proven that the Pope is an Evangelion rip-off.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 11:14 AM

Shio [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shio [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Image You win all 7 internets, man.

P.S. The basis of your argument, EvaXephon, is grade C Horse crap. You're fired.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 11:20 AM

Lord Timaeus [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lord Timaeus [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

What a horrible waste of bandwidth. With that kind of reasoning, you could basically "prove" Tenchi Muyo ripped off Ranma 1/2. You didn't even bother trying to compare the two stories, or even the cast. If you did, you'd see how completely different the two are.

P.S.: RahXephon is loosely based on James Churchward's writings regarding Mu culture. Evangelion simply gathers certain elements of Christian mythology and calls itself an intellectual anime. Similar? You decide.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 11:52 AM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

In before obligatory Malchiel troll-post.

It's not even close. RahXephon takes influences from at least two previous mecha anime that I can think of, and one of them is Evangelion. The other is Yuusha Raideen, as Prons pointed out, and it owes so much more to Yuusha Raideen than to Evangelion. I just don't understand how anyone can see RahXephon as being a copy of Evangelion, when it has so much in it that is original.

In short: All anime has influences. That doesn't make any given anime a copy of those that influenced it.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 12:33 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Kangaroo Rat wrote:But to all who posted before me, give him some credit at least for his views and website. His thoughts are not unfounded, there's quite a bit of evidence in his favor, if you disagree, but a little more rational about it.

Nope, sorry. He gave up his right to that courtesy when he titled this thread in a flamebaiting manner, and when he failed to realise that this topic has been done to death 1000 times before. This topic fails.

I'm pretty sure he wanted a flamewar, and the things that he's observed have been observed at least 3 times before on this forum in previous threads. The reason I'm laughing is because while you encourage us to take a fair and balanced look at his views, his views are anything but fair and balanced.

EvaXephon wrote:In my opinion, RahXephon is a very entertaining show, but it is a clone of Evangelion, scene-for-scene, word-for-word, character-for-character. Don't believe me? Seen both shows, and disagree? Then please take a look at my site. I've composed a 17-page gallery of 165 similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon that I think proves that RahXephon copies Evangelion from beginning to end. I only hesitate to use the term 'rip-off' because it's so negative and because I still like RahXephon anyway

You see what I mean? There were other ways to state the case for similarities, but this just makes him look bad.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:13 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

It's been done to death by people much smarter, the only difference is this fool wasted time taking screenshots.

"omg an explosion made him ayato fall down, this has never happeneed in anime/film or irl until eva i must screen cap it!!"

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:15 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Half of the reasons are included due to lack of comprehension and a lot more are stupid crap like this

Shock At Messy Room

This is, admittedly, somewhat of a weak similarity. A character stumbling upon a messy room and being surprised by it can happen in any anime. However, Megumi and Shinji had the same reaction both in stance and in words, and the episodes in which these scenes occurred were relatively close along the Evangelion and RahXephon timelines.

If you wanted credibilty you don't include stuff like that... btw I must tell my mom she's ripping of evangelion for being shocked at my little brothers room.

Cathy McMahon is RahXephon's third clone of Misato. Whereas Haruka had Misato's appearance and Elvy had Misato's necklace and fighting side, Cathy embodies the sexy, flirtatious part of Misato.

(Her similarities to Misato must be the reason that Misato's English voice actress was cast for Cathy's voice.)

Maybe because ADV have a limited cast of voice actors... oh btw eva rips of gunbuster which introduced gainax bounce.

In Evangelion, Gendo and Ritsuko secretly carry out a sexual relationship. In RahXephon, Makoto, the Gendo Clone, and Nanamori, the Ritsuko clone, secretly carry out a sexual relationship.

What next? Eva charcater wears a hat and anotehr rahxephon character wears one?

Tears Of Joy During Reunion

In both series, the main character is sucked into an alternate reality. When he finally returns, the Misato character has a strong emotional reaction and holds the main character close while weeping happily.

Australians are arriving back from Lebannon.. i must go to the airport and tell their love ones who are crying that they're ripping of evangelion.

Two Blushing Kids

In both series, the main character and the feisty redhead are accused of being a couple, and, while blushing deeply, the refute the claim with shouts of "No way!"

Megumi's hair isn't eaxctly red and this is so cliche I don't know what to say.

n both series, the Gendo character talks to his dead loved one, promising to join her soon.

You have two different characters as the Gendo clone across page 10 and 11, be more consistant.

Word-For-Word Copy Of Dialogue From Evangelion

Learn what word for word and identical means.

The Rei Character's History Has Been Deleted

In both series, a woman attempts to discover the history of the Rei character, only to find out that all of the records concerning her have been either deleted or falsified.

Top secret information deleted... NO WAII!!

Throne On A Religious Symbol[/b]

In both series, the commander of the organization with a secret agenda has a giant religious symbol in his office, and puts his 'throne' at the head of the symbol. Gendo, of course, has seated himself at the God Head of the Kabbalah's Sephiroth. The symbol in Lord Bähbem's office may or may not be an actual religious symbol, but he has seated himself at the head of it nonetheless.

Just wow at what I bolded.

Odd Eating Habits

In both series, the Misato character possesses odd tastes in food which surprise or downright disgust those around her.

You would have a stronger case without mentioning anime cliches

False Friendship

In both series, the scientist woman and the Misato character pretend to have a friendship with one another.

False friendships in a work place? Anno's such a visionary.

SEELE/NERV And The Bähbem Foundation/TERRA
Their names are also, obviously, written in all capital letters.

The UN is also in capital letters, obiovusly they came into being after watching Eva.

Giant Angelic Winged Enemy In Space
Defeated By A Long Red Weapon

Evangelion's 15th Angel is defeated by a giant red spear that is thrown into space. RahXephon's clone of the 15th Angel is defeated by a giant red arrow that is shot into space.

Using a ranged attack to hit something out of reach.... if it wasn't for Anno we wouldn't have bow and arrows!

Excitement Over The First Production Model

Cathy from RahXephon and Asuka from Evangelion are both very proud to be the first to pilot the first mass-produced model of their respective giant robots.

Should they have been dismayed?

Twin Enemies

Both series have an enemy show up that is composed of two twin selves that function together.

I'm sure Ultraman/Mazinger Z and nearly every super robot show had something like that

Recreated Waking-Up Scene

In both series, the red-head wakes up the main character in a process that involves flinging the bed sheets off of him.

Damn thats happened to me but without a red head Image

Absolute Barrier / Absolute Field

In both series, the only thing stopping the main organization from defeating their enemy is a special barrier with 'Absolute' in its title. TERRA can't reach Tokyo Jupiter because of the Absolute Barrier, and NERV can't hurt the Angels unless their Absolute Terror Fields are neutralized.

Mazinger Z HQ had a barrier.

Running Away By Train

In both series, at one point, the main characters reject their organization and run away via train.

Spirited Away ripped off Eva!

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:36 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

omg i read more of the site....

THEY BOTH HAVE A PROFESSOR!!!

Ripoff of Indiana Jones imo.

Robot Shields Someone From Debris With Hand

In both series, the main robot shields someone from falling debris using its hand within the early episodes.

What a ripoff from Macross

Enemy That Turns Up

Both anime possess an enemy that moves while in a flat, horizontal position, and then turns upwards to fight in an upright, vertical position.

They are just copying how the Macross fights.

Energy Beam Slices A Fighter Plane

In the first episode of both anime, the enemy uses an energy beam attack to slice through a fighter plane.

Only happened in Macross 50 thousand times

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:45 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I'll show you infidels how it's done:

1. Step one
2. Step two
3. ??????
4. Profit!

...And thus it is conclusively proven that the Pope is an Evangelion rip-off.

This is why I don't mind threads such as these, you just have to wait for some good to come out of them. Image

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 01:49 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

SEELE/NERV And The Bähbem Foundation/TERRA
Their names are also, obviously, written in all capital letters.

Monster fail. Seele and Nerv are not acronyms.

It's unfair how RahXephon gets all the attention. Where are all the Eva/Gunbuster or Eva/Gasaraki comparison pages? Image

By the way: Zone of the Enders OMG WTF BBQ?!?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:04 PM

Talon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Talon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Van.. stop it >.< You might hurt the poor guy.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:06 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Is there a professor in ZOE Dr Nick?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:09 PM

Krueger [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Krueger [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm so bookmarking this thread.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:11 PM

Tidusauron12 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tidusauron12 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Samurai Drifter wrote:Indeed. It is not a copy of Evangelion.

Your 'similarities' are ridiculous. Ayato saying "I guess all is well with the world" and Keel saying "all is right with the world" are two completely different plot points. The situations aren't even REMOTELY similar. I've said "All is right with the world" before too. Does that mean my life is a copy of Evangelion?

"A military vehicle near each main character explodes!" Yeah, they're in a freaking war zone, what do you expect?

You compared screenshots from the first episode of RahXephon with ones from The End of Evangelion. There is no logic in that.

I thought you'd actually have some good points about plot similarities, but you just posted similar screenshots. You could do that from just about any two series. The only similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon are giant robots, and the Evas aren't even really robots. The deeper psychological themes are totally different, but I'm guessing you didn't understand either well enough to pick up on those deeper themes.

Your website is useless.

You didn't have to be an *** about it.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:14 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Tidusauron12 wrote:You didn't have to be an *** about it.

Are you missing the collossal amount of flamebait and trolling of Rah fans in the first post? To me, that means that it's quite justified to be an *** about it.

Van wrote:[Lots of things which are true]

I hereby appoint Van as the winner of this thread.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:15 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”