Is RahXephon a copy of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

EvaXephon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaXephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:41 pm

If you're a fan of either Evangelion or RahXephon, or if you hate one of the abovementioned shows, I'd really like to show you this website.

http://evaxephon.com

Yes, it's my own website, but I'm not just here to plug it, I want it to spark a healthy debate about Evangelion and RahXephon. What I want you to discuss is whether or not RahXephon copied Evangelion.

In my opinion, RahXephon is a very entertaining show, but it is a clone of Evangelion, scene-for-scene, word-for-word, character-for-character. Don't believe me? Seen both shows, and disagree? Then please take a look at my site. I've composed a 17-page gallery of 165 similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon that I think proves that RahXephon copies Evangelion from beginning to end. I only hesitate to use the term 'rip-off' because it's so negative and because I still like RahXephon anyway.

Please take a look at the 'Similarities' section of my website, browse the galleries, and then come back here and tell me what you think. I'm really interested in hearing someone try to tell me that RahXephon is not a complete clone of Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:28 AM

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

No, it isn't.

Happy?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:34 AM

Samurai Drifter [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Samurai Drifter [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Indeed. It is not a copy of Evangelion.

Your 'similarities' are ridiculous. Ayato saying "I guess all is well with the world" and Keel saying "all is right with the world" are two completely different plot points. The situations aren't even REMOTELY similar. I've said "All is right with the world" before too. Does that mean my life is a copy of Evangelion?

"A military vehicle near each main character explodes!" Yeah, they're in a freaking war zone, what do you expect?

You compared screenshots from the first episode of RahXephon with ones from The End of Evangelion. There is no logic in that.

I thought you'd actually have some good points about plot similarities, but you just posted similar screenshots. You could do that from just about any two series. The only similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon are giant robots, and the Evas aren't even really robots. The deeper psychological themes are totally different, but I'm guessing you didn't understand either well enough to pick up on those deeper themes.

Your website is useless.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:35 AM

TougeSil80 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TougeSil80 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Yes it is, and it's a very crappy imitation at that.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:46 AM

GreatNekoKoneko [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GreatNekoKoneko [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

... no, it isn't. but DUAL is. wait, DUAL is better than the two.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 02:57 AM

EvaXephon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaXephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Samurai Drifter wrote:"A military vehicle near each main character explodes!" Yeah, they're in a freaking war zone, what do you expect?

My point was that the exact same events that occur in Evangelion also occur in RahXephon, and in the exact same order.

Samurai Drifter wrote:You compared screenshots from the first episode of RahXephon with ones from The End of Evangelion. There is no logic in that.

The first episodes of RahXephon take elements from EoE. Is that so hard to understand?

Samurai Drifter wrote:I thought you'd actually have some good points about plot similarities, but you just posted similar screenshots.

You obviously only looked at the first page.

Samurai Drifter wrote:You could do that from just about any two series.

But I bet you can't find 165+ major similarities between two series.

Samurai Drifter wrote:The only similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon are giant robots, and the Evas aren't even really robots.

Neither are the Dolems or the Xephon. See? Another similarity.

Samurai Drifter wrote:The deeper psychological themes are totally different

I never denied that. I even openly stated that in another section of the site.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 03:18 AM

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

RahXephon was actually based off the old school Raideen show.But no one's really bothered to asume that Evangelion wasn't the only mech anime created over the last 40 years or so.

Oh, and of course, Hideaki Anno used IDeon as it's main inspiration, but we don't see a site about THAT now do we?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 03:22 AM

Mort [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mort [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Hate to tell that they are different shows and are not copys of each other.
As for your similarities lets look at them.

All Is Well In The World- it is a common phase that is used in many different ways. In Eva the line that you mention and also is in NervÂ's logo is the last line of Pippa's poem.

Eerie Painting- Well to tell the truth I don't see any connection here. You had to use two screen shot to show that both shows use the over use symbol of a cross and have girls in dresses.

Bloody Hands- This is a common seacn is movies and what not. It is used in blood + and Mia Hime to name two.

Recreated Scenes- I need more info if you want to talk about.

Abandoned City- this is a common theme in sci fi and horror movies. I will give that they do start off the same but they both use common themes. But you forget that in RahXephon he starts off in a subway with other people and his friends.

Fighter Planes And Missiles
A Military Vehicle Explodes- I will take these two at once. All I have to say so what. Planes and missile make cool action scenes and the explosion give you a feel that the main charters are in danger.

Knocked To The Ground- They both just had a vehicle exploded by them. They react the same way because that what a real person would do.

Close-Up On Eye, Heartbeat Sound Effect, Long Scream- Anime zoom into eyes and heart beats to add effects. Noir pops to mind. Also the long scream is and over used technique to show extreme distress.

The Dolems And The Angels- the reason they like angels is because many shows and movies play off of Christian symbols. Nothing or anything that proves they are not like all the shows before them that did the same thing.

That my opion on your frist page more to come later.

edit-looked at other pages and could not see how you thinkthat any of these prove the one is the copy of the other.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 03:29 AM

_jwb388_ [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby _jwb388_ [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

I actually laughed out loud to myself about how stupid those similarities are. I got up to page 3 and stoped because all you do is find a picture of something that happens in one scene then find it in a later episode. Do the the same with gundam and you know what? Evangelion coppied off of gundam, omg! That website was a waste of your life.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 03:36 AM

EvaXephon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaXephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

It doesn't matter if Eva copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that RahXephon copied Eva. That is not changed if Eva copied something else.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:19 AM

Talon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Talon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

EvaXephon wrote:It doesn't matter if Eva copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that RahXephon copied Eva. That is not changed if Eva copied something else.

LMAO! Are you being serious? Hey, even if RaXephon DID copy Eva... why make a friggin website about it? Kinda a waste of time but to each his own.

Yeah those similarities are ridiculous. I learned how to match pictures in kindergarten. The storylines are nowhere near the same or have the same meaning (which you said yourself). So.. I honestly don't see the point of this. Not one bit... something must be wrong with me.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:45 AM

Panko Z [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Panko Z [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

honestly, i did find your stuff interesting and fun. but some things really seemed to be reaching too far and appear very common in many anime and not necessarily the mecha genre. example on page 3:

enemy unharmed by attacks - the whole point of the show is that the mech is the main weapon against the enemies, if they could be beaten by normal weapons why bother with the mech? it's a pretty common scenario

i wouldn't call it a clone but would say that Rax probably got some inspiration from Eva. either way i have no problems with it and did enjoy Rax a little more.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:51 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Those similarities are so sillyImage

Is Evangelion a copy of Ideon?

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:54 AM

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Levon wrote:Those similarities are so sillyImage

Is Evangelion a copy of Ideon?

Ya dude. =0!!!

The similarities between Rahxephon and Evangelion are superficial. This arguement has been done to death, and it gets stupider every time.

No anime is 100% original, take some time to digest that, and then move on with your life.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:57 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

I can play this game as well:

There are many surface-level NGE references in RahXephon, that's for sure, but it's insanity to call Rah a "scene-for-scene, word-for-word, character-for-character copy" of NGE. I mean, holy cow, Evangelion's ending has more to do with My-Hime than with Rah!

The Dolem 'Allegretto' has a very angelic look, complete with angel wings and a halo.

And how many of NGE's angels had "angel wings and halos"? Image

EvaXephon wrote:It doesn't matter if RahXephon copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that Evangelion copied Ranma ½. That is not changed if RahXephon copied something else.

Fixed that for you.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:58 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:Ya dude. =0!!!

The similarities between Rahxephon and Evangelion are superficial. This arguement has been done to death, and it gets stupider every time.

No anime is 100% original, take some time to digest that, and then move on with your life.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:09 AM

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

EvaXephon wrote:It doesn't matter if Eva copied another anime. That's irrelevant. The issue here is that RahXephon copied Eva. That is not changed if Eva copied something else.

No, that doesn't follow logically. What if they both copied the same things? Then you'd see all the same similarities, but RahXephon wouldn't have copied Eva at all. You're not interested in finding information, you're interested in RahXephon bashing.

Dr. Nick - that Ranma 1/2 note wins the internet, as far as I'm concerned. Image

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:10 AM

CrossboneGundam [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CrossboneGundam [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

EvaXephon wrote:If you're a fan of either Evangelion or RahXephon, or if you hate one of the abovementioned shows, I'd really like to show you this website.

http://evaxephon.com

Yes, it's my own website, but I'm not just here to plug it, I want it to spark a healthy debate about Evangelion and RahXephon. What I want you to discuss is whether or not RahXephon copied Evangelion.

In my opinion, RahXephon is a very entertaining show, but it is a clone of Evangelion, scene-for-scene, word-for-word, character-for-character. Don't believe me? Seen both shows, and disagree? Then please take a look at my site. I've composed a 17-page gallery of 165 similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon that I think proves that RahXephon copies Evangelion from beginning to end. I only hesitate to use the term 'rip-off' because it's so negative and because I still like RahXephon anyway.

Please take a look at the 'Similarities' section of my website, browse the galleries, and then come back here and tell me what you think. I'm really interested in hearing someone try to tell me that RahXephon is not a complete clone of Evangelion.

So, tell me, what part of Evangelion was it that Shinji was living a seemingly ordinary life in a false world with his mother who's really leader of an alien invasion? And when was he inadvertently torn from this existence by a phantom persona of Eva 01, who is not his mother in any way?

Ohhh, wait, I sure can remember that part where it turned out Shinji and Misato were actually lovers in the past, and the part where Shinji declared his love for her and actually made a move on her, wow! Gosh, you're right!

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:54 AM

FullMetal Haruko [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetal Haruko [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

CrossboneGundam wrote:So, tell me, what part of Evangelion was it that Shinji was living a seemingly ordinary life in a false world with his mother who's really leader of an alien invasion? And when was he inadvertently torn from this existence by a phantom persona of Eva 01, who is not his mother in any way?

Ohhh, wait, I sure can remember that part where it turned out Shinji and Misato were actually lovers in the past, and the part where Shinji declared his love for her and actually made a move on her, wow! Gosh, you're right!

This Post Wins.

"EvaXephon is a website dedicated to making a comprehensive gallery of every similarity between Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon."

You Fail. You made a Site to point out Similaties in Random Screencaps of Two Completely Different Series.

Saying that Raphexon copied Evangelion becasue of the way the characters fell from an Explosion? I...God I dont know what to say. My Flaming skills only go so far.

Im suprised you didn't point out they Both have the Letter "A" In the Title.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 07:13 AM

Krueger [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Krueger [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

RahXephon has better sources than Evangelion like Raideen and Megazone 23. Evangelion is far from original.

-Edit-
LMAO! After going through the site, 98% of those similarites aren't even about content. It's mostly superficial. Get a life man.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 07:36 AM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”