My Eva journal or something.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Compared to Kira and Fllay, at least Shinji and Asuka have a healthy relationship.

And Kira didn't bang her, she banged Kira: "Take this! And this! And this! Aaaarghhh! Now go out there and fight! Yes! Fight and die, you son of a bitch! Ha ha haa!"

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 21:11 GMT

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Kira was on top....

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 21:21 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 7 NOTES: This was a very cool episode, especially for old-school robot fans like me.

That's funny, the majority opinion in the fan community is that this is the worst episode in the series.

That other bioweapon looks exactly like something out of a classic alien-fighter or Godzilla movie.

Actually, Jet Alone is named after Jet Jaguar, Godzilla's sidekick from Godzilla vs. Megalon. In an early draft of the script for Megalon, Jet Jaguar was going to be named Red Alone, Anno just combined the 2 names.

You should get ahold of ep. 6 soon, it's too important to miss for very long.

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 22:32 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

thewayneiac wrote:That's funny, the majority opinion in the fan community is that this is the worst episode in the series.

Or to put it in a more fanboyish way, it's the least good episode.

Actually, I like this episode. It's got some great character moments, and the whole JA thing isn't too bad.

Aren't we forgetting episode #14?

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 22:40 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

OMF wrote:Or to put it in a more fanboyish way, it's the least good episode.

Actually, I like this episode. It's got some great character moments, and the whole JA thing isn't too bad.

I agree, it's not really bad, it's just the plot doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the series very much.
Aren't we forgetting episode #14?

#14 rules!

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 22:46 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

I think Jet Alone was referred to as a bioweapon, and it certainly moved like it. But then again, it was definately not organic on the inside. Either way, I really, really liked this one. I had never heard of Eva being an homage of sorts to the very old school robot/monster movies, but it's definate that someone at high up at Gainax is a fan of some classic material. These references aren't what I expected from this series, and i'm really enjoying it. I actually thought of Jet Jaguar when I heard Jet Alone, but I wouldn't have made anything of it unless that had been pointed out to me.
You should get ahold of ep. 6 soon, it's too important to miss for very long.

I've already seen it. In fact......
EPISODE 6 NOTES: My first comment is on how weird this Angel looks. If I could venture a guess at this point, i'd guess that the Angels are aliens. But their varied anatomies make it difficult to say that they are all of the same species. Anyway, it was nice to see that Rei is at least somewhat normal acting sometimes. The urgent feel given by the quick scenes was nice; this whole show is extremely well-thought-out and directed. The plot did kinda stretch on me though. The farther I get into it, the more unbelievable some of this stuff gets. But hey, I don't expect it to be realistic at all. Gathering power from all of Japan to fire a (comparatively) small cannon is just unreal. I can see it taking that much power if it had large components, but i'm technically retarded, so i'm probably just making a fool of myself.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed while watch episode 8, I think, is that in the opening, Eva-01 has 12 wings, a characteristic of Satan. This would put Eva-01 (Satan) fighting Angels (angels). Just a thought.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 01:04 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

C_U_P wrote:Gathering power from all of Japan to fire a (comparatively) small cannon is just unreal. I can see it taking that much power if it had large components, but i'm technically retarded, so i'm probably just making a fool of myself.

I've often ponder this one myself. All of Japan is a lot of juice, one wonders how the generators handled a load going from zero to 100% in 0.00001 of a second. Still, we'll have it all thought out fully by the time of the episode #06 section of the commentary project, as by that time, such a system will have already been invented!! Image

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 01:23 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:I've often ponder this one myself. All of Japan is a lot of juice, one wonders how the generators handled a load going from zero to 100% in 0.00001 of a second. Still, we'll have it all thought out fully by the time of the episode #06 section of the commentary project, as by that time, such a system will have already been invented!! Image

I actually went and read that commentary. Intresting stuff there. And props to you for homaging my thread title in yours. Image

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 01:25 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

C_U_P wrote:I actually went and read that commentary. Intresting stuff there. And props to you for homaging my thread title in yours. Image

I owe it all to you C_U_P!
You mean the fan geek commentary right? Thinking of contributing? Join the lunacy!

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 01:47 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

He might want to wait until viewing all of the series, OMF, as the warning on the site says. Many, many spoilers.Image Then again, C_U_P, if you just commented on the episodes you've already seen, and not look at the actual site, you might be fine. Image

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 01:59 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

C_U_P wrote:I actually went and read that commentary. Intresting stuff there. And props to you for homaging my thread title in yours. Image

Between a whole bunch of regulars on this forum, pretty much every major topic about the show has had some level of in-depth discussion devoted to it. The commentary simply allows for a way to archive these theories so that they can all be found easily by anyone who has questions.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 02:12 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

EDIT: Another thing I noticed while watch episode 8, I think, is that in the opening, Eva-01 has 12 wings, a characteristic of Satan. This would put Eva-01 (Satan) fighting Angels (angels). Just a thought.

Odd you should say that; just remembered a comment made by the JSSDF commander in EoE.

Anyway, it's fun to read your comments C_U_P.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 10:06 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Van wrote:Kira was on top....

Indeed, like an animal caught in a hunter's trap. I found it rather surprising that he didn't try to flee by biting off his own arms.

This is the main difference between Evangelion and Gundam SEED: there are nine harpies in NGE, but only one in SEED.

On topic: Eh... Keep up the good work, C_U_P! But stay the hell away from the commentary pages till you've seen the entire show - spoilers are EVERYWHERE!

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 13:18 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:Indeed, like an animal caught in a hunter's trap. I found it rather surprising that he didn't try to flee by biting off his own arms.

This is the main difference between Evangelion and Gundam SEED: there are nine harpies in NGE, but only one in SEED.

On topic: Eh... Keep up the good work, C_U_P! But stay the hell away from the commentary pages till you've seen the entire show - spoilers are EVERYWHERE!

Flay. I hate her so much. I kinda wish she were in Eva though, she's every bit as emotionally messed up as Shinji. :P

On topic: There wasn't anything too spoilerish. It wasn't anything I did already know from hearing rabid fanboys elsewhere.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 17:01 GMT

MavsWorld [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MavsWorld [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Fllay reminds me of a sadistic evil Asuka, though I liked her she was a great character.

Originally posted on: 17-May-2005, 08:32 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

C_U_P wrote:I think Jet Alone was referred to as a bioweapon, and it certainly moved like it. But then again, it was definately not organic on the inside. Either way, I really, really liked this one. I had never heard of Eva being an homage of sorts to the very old school robot/monster movies, but it's definate that someone at high up at Gainax is a fan of some classic material. These references aren't what I expected from this series, and i'm really enjoying it. I actually thought of Jet Jaguar when I heard Jet Alone, but I wouldn't have made anything of it unless that had been pointed out to me.

A lot of Gainax anime is rife with references to the classic mecha works of old, not least of which, their very own Top o nerae[i]. It's my view that Evangelion is to the mecha genre what [I]Twin Peaks is to the mystery/drama, or what 2001: A Space Odyssey is to science fiction, or what the Goon Show is to radio comedy. In other words, it may not qualify as the best example of the genre - and surely Evangelion does not come even close to being the finest mecha anime - but what it does do is make you think differently about the genre.
My first comment is on how weird this Angel looks. If I could venture a guess at this point, i'd guess that the Angels are aliens. But their varied anatomies make it difficult to say that they are all of the same species.

Answers are provided, of a sort. This is one of the grey areas, I'd say. The answer that you are looking for is sort of given, but not given at the same time.

Anyway, it was nice to see that Rei is at least somewhat normal acting sometimes.

Yes, I always think it's nice when Rei has a patch of normal behaviour.
Gathering power from all of Japan to fire a (comparatively) small cannon is just unreal. I can see it taking that much power if it had large components, but i'm technically retarded, so i'm probably just making a fool of myself.

Yeah, it's not the most believable thing ever, I did raise an eyebrow at it once upon a time.

Another thing I noticed while watch episode 8, I think, is that in the opening, Eva-01 has 12 wings, a characteristic of Satan. This would put Eva-01 (Satan) fighting Angels (angels). Just a thought.

If you ever work out what the deal is with the wings, do let me know. They seem to have a significance that I'm still missing out on, even now.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 22:51 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Indeed, like an animal caught in a hunter's trap. I found it rather surprising that he didn't try to flee by biting off his own arms.

Yes, she truely seems worse then the harps.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 23:26 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Oi, no Fllay bashing, she's a great character.

And she's beautiful. Image

Originally posted on: 17-May-2005, 00:33 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:51 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:Oi, no Fllay bashing, she's a great character.

And she's beautiful. Image

@_@ Does her head really do that thing that I can see her doing in the animated gif? What on Earth is she? Or possibly, not on Earth...

Originally posted on: 17-May-2005, 00:39 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Soluzar wrote:Image Does her head really do that thing that I can see her doing in the animated gif? What on Earth is she? Or possibly, not on Earth...

No, she doesn't mutate and eat Kira's head. But she might as well have. This is Gundam, they are normal humans. What am I saying? Flay's normal physically, but Kira is a B1G L33TERzSz UlT1MAT3 C0~0RD1NA0R 0F D0OM! And possibly a newtype too, I can't remember if he ever does the forehead flash or not. Think of Seed and Eva together makes me want a crossover. Aren't they going to be together in SRW Alpha 3?
*check list*
Yeah, they are. Time to learn Japanese and get ripped off buying an import copy. Can't wait to see how that turns out. :P

EDIT: Flay sucks. Marin rules.

Originally posted on: 17-May-2005, 01:49 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”