My Eva journal or something.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:47 pm

C_U_P wrote:Bring it. he'd probably just sit and cry before my "Top ten reasons why you suck" list.

He wouldn't cry. He sit there listening polietly, staring at the floor. Then he'd get up and leave, go home, listen to his SDAT for a few hours, and just add the whole event to the litany of unwarrented insults he daily recieves.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 22:29 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Now, challenge yourselves and come up with 20 reasons why Shinji DOESN'T suck.

Hmm ...

1) He's a damn good Evangelion pilot

2) When motivated he can be courageous

3) He cares about people ... surprisingly

4) He does what he's told

5) He has a moral sense of right and wrong

6) If given enough prodding, he will stick up for himself (amount of prodding varies according to what he's facing)

7) He's neat

8) He's polite

9) He cleans up Misator's apartment

10) Doesn't make friends easily, but those he has are strong ones

11) Does occasionally try to help other people spontaneously

12) Gendo's his father

13) Puts up with a hell of a lot of crap when piloting his Eva

14) KICKS ANGEL ***!!!!

15) Screams good

16) Doesn't smoke, drink, or take drugs

17) Has good taste in music (from what I've heard)

18) Has a sense of humour (although rare)

19) Does have a rebellious streak (yay!)

20) Pilots Eva-01 (who's name, you'll have to forgive me, I keep forgetting), which, let's face it, is the coolist of cool.

Whew! How did I do?

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 22:44 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:47 pm

16) Doesn't smoke, drink, or take drugs

...Yet.

9) He cleans up Misator's apartment

This little typo just spawned one of the most happening mental images of our time. Thank you.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 23:22 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Shinkji is totally on some trippy acid. Heck, everyone in this show is on acid. They're not piloting robots, they're sitting in recliners, stoned. Entry plug? It's the bathtub. Command center? The couch. Angels? Mental images. I mean, they freakin' think the buildings come out of the ground at night. They are burned. out.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 23:44 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 3 notes: I really hope I can get to the point where I can start having interesting theories soon. I'm afraid that reading this may be boring at this point.

It's sort of interesting to see how much you manage to spot, of all the clues that are being thrown around. Throughout the series there are a whole bunch of clues to the "big mysteries" that all add up, and it's really hard for anyone to notice all of them

This was another episode that sets up the basics for the series. There's a lot about how the Evangelion units work. The power is supplied power cords? Sounds kinda iffy to me.They would have to give these cords a LOT of slack, and I can't help but wonder how the cord doesn't tangle in Eva's legs.

My take on this issue is that you don't need to worry about the cables in terms of real-world issues. In fact, you'd be better not to worry about them at all, unless they are explicitly foregrounded. You might justifiably ask me why I believe this. I would answer that the power supply in the battery lasts exactly as long as it is required to last.

Five minutes is the quoted maximum active time for an Evangelion using battery power, but that five minutes seems to stretch out somewhat at times. You will also notice that at those times when dramatic tension requires the Evangelion to be limited in it's capabilities, the cable will conveniently be severed, or be otherwise unavailable.

This is, of course is an artificial limitation, but it does serve to enhance some of the action sequences. Power is not an issue, unless the plot requires it to be. The creators of the show could just as easily have said that the Evangelion contained an internal Narrativium(1) Reactor, which supplied all of its power needs. They chose to employ a limitation of available power as a plot device. It has never been my opinion that there is anything truly reprehensbile about the use of a well-tempered plot device.

The Eva has fingernails? And human-like skin. Hm.

Yes. It does. Glad you noticed. It's worth keeping that in the back of your mind at almost all times. Image

In some ways, I wish they would just flat-out explain the background story here all at once, especially this "Second Impact" stuff.

You already know what the average Joe on the street knows, about Second Impact, but maintain your patience just a little longer, since you will get the chance to find out, before this anime concludes. You certainly wouldn't want any SPOILER WARNING! (highlight to read) : [ Too Bad! Image ] would you? I mean, if you asked directly for spoilers, I'm sure you'd get them, but I don't think it would be fair of us to offer them...

This incident has something to do with the Angels, and it drastically affected earth's environment. Speaking of Angels, this one was a bit too weird for my tastes. It looked a little too freaky/purple.

Purple is good. Aww well, there's enough Angels that you can find one more to your liking by the end. Depending on your definitions of the term, I think it's safe to say that a decent number of those here on the forum found an Angel that they were rather fond of. Yes, you know who you are. Image

I'll shut up now, anyway, but you're keeping your eyes open, which is the one requirement to get anything out of this anime.

---------------
1 : Narrativium(n) - A fictitious substance; The fuel that powers the Plot Device.

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2005, 00:09 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

This little typo just spawned one of the most happening mental images of our time. Thank you.

No problem.

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2005, 20:18 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

C_U_P wrote:Shinkji is totally on some trippy acid. Heck, everyone in this show is on acid. They're not piloting robots, they're sitting in recliners, stoned. Entry plug? It's the bathtub. Command center? The couch. Angels? Mental images. I mean, they freakin' think the buildings come out of the ground at night. They are [b]burned. out.

Sean McCoy, eat your heart out! Image Image Image

(This quote is so going to the commentary.)

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2005, 20:49 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Eva as one long acid trip - I can buy that.

Originally posted on: 29-Apr-2005, 09:52 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

EPISODE 4 NOTES: Kon flab, that was one long pause. Image I was starting to check on if my player was broken. Other than that, this episode was really boring. But these kinds of episodes are neccesary to develop the characters and personality. I'm starting to like Shinji's classmates more than him, but I definately still have to say that Gendo is my fovorite at this point. The only unusual thing I noticed was that the ending song was clearly sung by a different person. Can't wait forthe next episode, because while Gendo reigns, Rei is a close second. Image

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 03:28 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 4 NOTES: Kon flab, that was one long pause. Image I was starting to check on if my player was broken.

You know, I've never found this pause all that long. Everyone else does though.
C_U_P wrote:Other than that, this episode was really boring. But these kinds of episodes are neccesary to develop the characters and personality.

When you're older, you'll appreciate it! Image
C_U_P wrote:but I definately still have to say that Gendo is my fovorite at this point.

Yes C_U_P. Yes. Come to the dark side. Image
C_U_P wrote:Can't wait forthe next episode, because while Gendo reigns, Rei is a close second. Image

You're one for the silent stoic types then.

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 03:55 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 4 NOTES: Kon flab, that was one long pause. Image I was starting to check on if my player was broken. Other than that, this episode was really boring. But these kinds of episodes are neccesary to develop the characters and personality. I'm starting to like Shinji's classmates more than him, but I definately still have to say that Gendo is my fovorite at this point. The only unusual thing I noticed was that the ending song was clearly sung by a different person. Can't wait forthe next episode, because while Gendo reigns, Rei is a close second. Image

The early ones aren't outstanding. Nobody is a big enough Eva fan (I think) to tell you different. In my opinion #05 is a real turning point. There are still a couple of not-so-incredible episodes after #05, but you start to see the real quality of this anime starting with the next episode.

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 04:30 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

EPISODE 5 NOTES: I'm pulling two in one night. This episode was great. I can't help but wonder what Rei and Gendo's relationship is. One two kinds of two people look at each other like that: lovers, and parents/children. I'm hoping it's the latter, i'm willing to bet that Gendo is a little too old for Rei.

But I don't know what to think about Rei at this point. I've been watching Gundam Seed Destiny now, so i'm thinking that she may be a better-controlled (or less "extended") enhanced human. She did have some pills sitting on her chest of drawers, and not even really introverted girls would let a near-stranger into her apartment while she was getting dressed. Her and Gendo remind me of Stellar/Neo from GSD a little.

And i'm really starting to think that the Evas are captured Angels that are controlled by their battle armor. If Angels have anything close to human body structure (which was kinda hinted at in this episode) then the entry plugs would be plugged in right at the top of the spinal column. Not to mention the fact that Sachiel's face was on the front of Eva-01's "true" face in episode 2.

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 05:03 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 5 NOTES: I'm pulling two in one night. This episode was great.

This one and the next one, I really, really like. While I'm most definitely not a Rei fanboy in the sense of "d00d!!!! Rei is so sm0k1n' hawtt!", I do find her to be a fascinating character, and not for the obvious reasons. I suppose in my own small and way, I'm a bit of a Shinji x Rei shipper.

I can't help but wonder what Rei and Gendo's relationship is. One two kinds of two people look at each other like that: lovers, and parents/children. I'm hoping it's the latter, i'm willing to bet that Gendo is a little too old for Rei.

As Reichu would tell you, it's one of my favourite icky/funny notions that Gendo is a father in the mould of "come to Daddy, babe!" to Rei, but to be fair to Ikari-san, nothing in the series really bears out that point of view. It just makes an amusingly icky image, considering some factoids that you'll pick up on soon enough.

In reply to your speculation about the nature of Rei and Gendo's relationship, please allow me to say that your questions will be answered. The answer may not be extremely obvious, but somewhere down the line, your questions are answered, for those with eyes to see, and ears to hear.

But I don't know what to think about Rei at this point. I've been watching Gundam Seed Destiny now, so i'm thinking that she may be a better-controlled (or less "extended") enhanced human.

Never seen Seed: Destiny, so I'm not aware what makes you think along these lines, but it's an interesting notion. I'm not, in the interests of fairness, going to be able to say what I think of it.

She did have some pills sitting on her chest of drawers, and not even really introverted girls would let a near-stranger into her apartment while she was getting dressed. Her and Gendo remind me of Stellar/Neo from GSD a little.

And i'm really starting to think that the Evas are captured Angels that are controlled by their battle armor.

I'm positively aching to answer this. Really I am. I'm not an evil spoilering person, though, so I'll just say: Interesting. Not a single damn thing I can say other than that without giving away plot details, and that is not fair. So I'll shut up for now. Image

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 07:24 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

C_U_P wrote:I'm starting to like Shinji's classmates more than him, but I definately still have to say that Gendo is my fovorite at this point.

That's natural, Touji is a far more interesting character than Shinji IMO.

Gendo....I liked him up until episode 17/18....GENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUP wrote:But I don't know what to think about Rei at this point. I've been watching Gundam Seed Destiny now, so i'm thinking that she may be a better-controlled (or less "extended") enhanced human. She did have some pills sitting on her chest of drawers, and not even really introverted girls would let a near-stranger into her apartment while she was getting dressed. Her and Gendo remind me of Stellar/Neo from GSD a little.

Hmmm, interesting theory, not sure if enough information was ever provided on Rei to prove that wrong though. (Let's not discuss it here though, don't wanna spoil CUP) ((Though I havn't seen past episode 10 of Eva in a while...or EoE for that matter))

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 20:50 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

You're a genius C_U_P. This is awesome. You will understand why when you finish the series.

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 13:26 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

OMF wrote:You're a genius C_U_P. This is awesome. You will understand why when you finish the series.

Seconded - you are spotting a lot of things that become quite obvious in retrospect (when the payoff comes), but are just passed over without any particular remark at the time.

C_U_P wrote:I'm starting to like Shinji's classmates more than him, but I definately still have to say that Gendo is my fovorite at this point.

This - at least the first part - is quite the usual reaction. Shinji's feet of clay are not glossed over in ep#4; especially when we see his behaviour when Misato is debriefing him. Gendo, by contrast, is more an ominous presence in the background.

And Rei - yes, Rei is an interesting case. We can revisit the issue of whether she let Shinji in when it comes to ep#17.

Originally posted on: 07-May-2005, 19:53 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm writing these comments based on in depth second viewings of the episodes. I've actually seen the series up to episode 10 or so, and I don't have a copy of episode 6 to rewatch now, so i'll move on to 7 and do 6 later.

EPISODE 7 NOTES: This was a very cool episode, especially for old-school robot fans like me. That other bioweapon looks exactly like something out of a classic alien-fighter or Godzilla movie. I loved the animation on it as well. Very nice, very fluid. There really isn't much to comment on here though. Tihs was pretty straightforward, even the ending with Gendo falied to suprise me. I think that Gendo's sababtoge was just because he didn't want the U.N. to have any other choice but to fund NERV and the Evas to stop the Angels. The only think I can really draw from this thatw asn't already obvious is that maybe Gendo doesn't trust Misato as much as (that blond woman whose character is completely forgettable and name I keep forgetting).

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 19:52 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

C_U_P wrote:That other bioweapon

Jet Alone a bioweapon? Image Well, if the arms truly ARE made from spaghetti, then maybe...

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 08:18 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 7 NOTES: This was a very cool episode, especially for old-school robot fans like me.

Yes, a very straight bit of intrigue and action - and a focus for while on the adults. Sandwiched as it is between the Shinji/Rei interactions of the previous episodes, and Asuka's tumultuous introduction, the series takes a pause for breath and look at the bigger picture.

I am looking forward to the ep6 notes

C_U_P wrote:The only think I can really draw from this thatw asn't already obvious is that maybe Gendo doesn't trust Misato as much as (that blond woman whose character is completely forgettable and name I keep forgetting).

Yes, he does place more trust in Akagi Ritsuko-hakase. There have been a few very subtle hints as to why that might be.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 08:43 GMT

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Shinji is so going to sue you for this!

Yep

Shinji - I was never a badass like Kira Yamato and while he banged a girl I had to let my fingers do the um...

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 08:51 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”