Did Asuka Love Shinji?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Faust wrote:Is love just a spiritual matter then? What about the physical?

Symbiotic dependence is usually an occurence to cover up certain defects in an individuals life. I guess this would mean that part of love is admitting that you are not complete by yourself...

I don't really understand the physical aspect of love (perhaps because I haven't had many pysically based romances). When two people who love eachother are together then they become something greater than either one could ever acomplish on their own. Perhaps love is just something which exists to create a better functioning race of beings (although I personally find that theory to be ultra depressing).

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:29 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Faust [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:Perhaps love is just something which exists to create a better functioning race of beings (although I personally find that theory to be ultra depressing).

Well, in this case, you do understand the physical aspect of love: the necessary second phase to continue propogation of a race of beings... reproduction. Though whether the race functions better becuase of this... well, thats pretty random.

Unless genetics only favors those who TRULY love each other Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:33 GMT

Lone Signal [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lone Signal [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Eva wrote:From episode 21.Hope everyone here known why this episode was so important but that beside the point
Fuyutsuki state
''It was generally believed that the real object of his overtures to Yui was her talent and support of the organization backing her.According to the rumors,that organization was called SEELE.''
That what he state word for word.

If that is true, I really don't understand why he went through all he did to see her again through instrumentality project.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:33 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Faust wrote:Well, in this case, you do understand the physical aspect of love: the necessary second phase to continue propogation of a race of beings... reproduction. Though whether the race functions better becuase of this... well, thats pretty random.

Unless genetics only favors those who TRULY love each other Image

we have to relate our definition of love to the question at hand were Asuka and Shinji in love- if Love the wish to reproduce then the answer is yes.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:35 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

I don't think love has anything to do with reproduction, that's just something that comes with love. So if you're going to relate love that way with Shinji and Asuka, I'd have to go and say no.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:38 GMT

UberDirector [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby UberDirector [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Lone Signal wrote:If that is true, I really don't understand why he went through all he did to see her again through instrumentality project.

Shhh! You're not supposed to point out that Gendo did it all just for Yui! That might counter some poorly concieved notions.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:39 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Faust [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:we have to relate our definition of love to the question at hand were Asuka and Shinji in love- if Love the wish to reproduce then the answer is yes.

Well, I was just saying what that might mean according to the one possibility you brought up.

The interesting thing here is: Do we really know if love is the mechanism for reproduction, or are genetics and such just mathmetical (a man made system, and a limited one at that) justifications for why love exists in the first place?

Were Romeo and Juliet in love?

Also, with Gendo, was he truly in love with Yui, or was he just obsessively fulfilling a selfish desire?

Whole bunch of different directions in that post Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:41 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Faust wrote:or was he just obsessively fulfilling a selfish desire?

Hehe, nice way to put it. I've thought about that portion of love before as well. That's like a whole new discussion in itself.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:44 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Gendo got with Yui for the wrong reason in my eyes but they did seem to be in love considing that Gendo was crushed after Eva took Yui into herself.So i guess that they were in love but got together for the wrong reason.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:47 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Eva wrote:Gendo got with Yui for the wrong reason in my eyes but they did seem to be in love considing that Gendo was crushed after Eva took Yui into herself.So i guess that they were in love but got together for the wrong reason.

how can anything resulting in love be wrong?

(sorry, just the romantic poet in me speaking)

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:57 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

GandalfsStudent wrote:how can anything resulting in love be wrong?

Socially speaking, there are lots of "wrong" reasons...

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 07:59 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

KT Kore wrote:Socially speaking, there are lots of "wrong" reasons...

I'm not speaking in a social sense, I'm speaking in an ultimatly futile romantic sense.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:02 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Faust [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

KT Kore wrote:Socially speaking, there are lots of "wrong" reasons...

Haha!

"Their love would cause the genocide of hundreds of worlds... but it would keep them... together!"

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:03 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Faust wrote:Haha!

"Their love would cause the genocide of hundreds of worlds... but it would keep them... together!"

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:05 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

DufFuS101 wrote:I'm not too sure about those two, as you don't see much of Gendo and Yui as a couple, and Misato/Kaji also had it's own problems. But whatever.

Gendo's love for Yui is a sick love. Misato/Kaji is also too messed up. Couple-wise, i think there's zero.

But Yui loved Shinji and Misato's dad loved Misato.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:11 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Hmmm... did Yui love Gendo?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:14 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

KT Kore wrote:I figured you guys would know I don't type like that normally, so I figured that it'd click in your head that I was being sarcastic. Image

I got it the first time.

I'm personally of the opinion that sarcasm (and just overall humor) is better when it makes you unsure if the person is serious or not.

There's one guy in a gaming forum that always talks trash on SNK, but he's actually a SNK supporter. It's actually pretty funny, because he's always "on character", and newbies constantly gets into fights with him.

Faust wrote:Hmmm... did Yui love Gendo?

I think so. But Gendo's "love" for her was a blind, depraved love. He didn't care about anything. Pretty much an obsession. Gendo was an arse, like a guy that loves his wife, but beats her up because he's jealous or something. Gendo would "beat up" the whole world.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:19 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

So if Gendo kill Yui's boyfriend and they get to together and fall in love that fine(Just a example)Murder fine if it love.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:20 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

No one is taking into account Yui's feelings for Gendo. It is never told how Gendo and Yui got together but in her conversations with Fuytski Yui makes it quite clear that she loves Gendo. People really treat Gendo as an inhuman villian which really isn't fair to his character. He is a man who doesn't know how to deal with people- and when he finally finds someone to share his life with she disapears (and since he knows she isn't dead he can't let go). So Gendo spends the rest of his life seeking happiness in his ruthless way (which is again because he doesn't understand people).

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:31 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Orin_Quon wrote:I think so. But Gendo's "love" for her was a blind, depraved love. He didn't care about anything. Pretty much an obsession. Gendo was an arse, like a guy that loves his wife, but beats her up because he's jealous or something. Gendo would "beat up" the whole world.

I would take it a step farther and say Gendo might not even really love her... he was too blind to even see that, but...

Why did Yui love him back? Some need to fix him? Given her relationship with Shinji, she seems to be one of the few characters capable of "healthy" adult love, but her relationship with Gendo seems to cast some doubts on this. Did she fail to recognize any of these traits in him? Was she gone too soon?

Her reasons for loving him were never really detailed... sometimes I wonder though.

She must have had reasons, and her reciprocations had to have caused him to develope something, but... this is one area where I almost wish there was more information available.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2003, 20:32 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”