Kaworu's Purpose/Nature...

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Reichu wrote:I have encountered instances where this definition makes absolutely no sense -- for example, inanimate objects like bullets "being born". Evidently, the verb does not just apply to "being born" in a traditional sense -- it probably simply means, in a looser sense, "coming into existence".

Does that rule out decantation? You're not any less "existent" in a jar than you are outside of one... also, the exceptions that you point to might be slang and not really "proper" uses of the word... we need some more Japanese people in here dammit.

Reichu wrote:I linked to the screenshot in one of my posts above.

Ah, the wonders of the "edit" button. It's almost as good as changing history Image

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 18:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Does that rule out decantation? You're not any less "existent" in a jar than you are outside of one...

And you're not really any less "existent" inside a womb than you are outside of one, but we still start counting our age from the day we are born rather than the day we are actually conceived, as if those first nine months didn't really matter. Whatever happened in the Second Annex, we can probably assume that Rei attained true consciousness there for the first time, but "being born" there doesn't rule out that she might have been floating around in a jar (or whatever) beforehand.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 18:12 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

*imagines a shelf full of Tiny Naked Reis in jars*

Gendo: Eeny, meeny, miney... let's decant THIS one.

Ritsuko: Excellent decision-making process.

Gendo: Thanks. On a side note, the spice rack is fine for now, but what will we do when they get bigger?

Ritsuko: Don't worry, I'll take care of it... *dreams of giant blender full of Rei clones* Yes....

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 18:17 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:*imagines a shelf full of Tiny Naked Reis in jars*

Gendo: Eeny, meeny, miney... let's decant THIS one.

Ritsuko: Excellent decision-making process.

Gendo: Thanks. On a side note, the spice rack is fine for now, but what will we do when they get bigger?

Ritsuko: Don't worry, I'll take care of it... *dreams of giant blender full of Rei clones* Yes....

"What's blue and red, and goes a hundred miles an hour?..."

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 18:52 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Hmmm... a little late...

@Reichu

Yes, the Adam resides only within you makes things a little more complicated. But anyways, they could retrieve his soul after he was killed, as they do with Rei, right?

And yes, I also have a doubt about the DP's compatibility. It could be different from pilot to resident soul compatibility as GEndou once said to put Rei's DP info also on EVA-02.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 08:15 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:But anyways, they could retrieve his soul after he was killed, as they do with Rei, right?

I don't believe Seele could have retrieved it from Nerv at that point. And Kaworu / Adam is obviously present as a part of Giant Nude Rei during the instrumentality.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 21:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

And SEELE was literally working on the harpies up to the last possible minute... But I honestly don't think Adam's soul is in any of them. Maybe the various NERV branches building the biznatches made a list of their least favorite female employees and picked one out of a hat...

"Congratulations, Ms. Maleev! You get to be the test subject for EVA-07!"
"But, err, I'm just one of the grunt operators on the sidelines... What's with the big news all of a sudden?"
"Just shut up and put on this wet suit."

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 21:45 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm not sure how is it that they retrieve SOL souls, I don't think there's nothing definitive about it.

But the females inside cores, where all for the sake of compatibility with the pilots. I'm not sure if the dummy plug is the same thing, sometimes I think Gainax made a mistake with that Gendou line, because every other evidence would say that Rei's dummy on Eva-02 would be useless.

If, in the end, a DP has to have a compatible personal pattern, similar to the pilots one, with the resident soul, then the only soul that would work on the DP's would be Kaworu's one... or at least, if Kaworu is derived from someone else like Rei, then the soul of that deriver would also work.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 23:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:But the females inside cores, where all for the sake of compatibility with the pilots.

Makes me wonder, though -- why just mothers and not fathers? (Rei nonwithstanding.) On the A^10 nerve, which is supposedly important for synchronization, the D&R TP says "it is also said to play an important role in affection between parent and child, and between lovers." PARENT and child. That includes daddies. Yet, to our knowledge, they've only used mother's souls for the Evas (along with Lilith's -- who by all indications is also female).

Also, I wouldn't dismiss the "load the data into EVA-02" business so quickly. Dummy plugs AREN'T the same as pilots.

Originally posted on: 27-Mar-2004, 23:18 GMT

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Parents and LOVERS? Heheh, Gendo should've just piloted EVA-01 himself, he'd get the job done.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 02:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Crazy Penguin wrote:Parents and LOVERS? Heheh, Gendo should've just piloted EVA-01 himself, he'd get the job done.

But for the lover of an Eva's soul to be able to pilot, the entry system would have to be... Oh dear, one of Misato's comments in "ReDeath" is giving me bad thoughts.

Fuyutsuki: Ikari, are you sure you want to go through with this?
Gendou: Damn straight. My A^10 Nerve is just as good as Shinji's. ... By the way, Fuyutsuki, were you peeping when I was putting my plugsuit on?
Fuyutsuki: Of course not... Where did you get that idea?
Gendou: Oh, nothing... Just a nagging suspicion.

Ritsuko: For Ikari-shirei to be able to pilot EVA-01, we have to use a different entry system. And it's located... here. (points to EVA-01's pelvic region on bio-signs chart)
Misato: Ouch. That's gotta hurt.
Ritsuko: Not really. There's plenty of room in there.
Misato: Yeah, but still...
Maya: According to these specs, the entry plug cannot be constructed out of the usual high-tech alloys.
Ritsuko: Indeed. Our research indicates that plant-derived fibers work best... preferably unbleached cotton.
Misato: Well, that rules out Tampax and Kotex...

Okay, I'll stop. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 03:48 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

A common factor between all the three pilots and their resident souls can be found. All of the pilots once where the same as the people who ended up on the core of the specified evas. I mean, Shinji once was the same as his mother, the same with Asuka, and Rei once was the same as the one in the core... That's, as I think, the reason for mommies and not daddies on the cores.

As for the A^10 nerve, I don't think the program says it all about synchro, but just something that can be important. I mean, Rei has no parental or lover bond to herself.... might that be the reason why she has the lowest synchro rate?

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 21:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

AchtungAffen wrote:A common factor between all the three pilots and their resident souls can be found. All of the pilots once where the same as the people who ended up on the core of the specified evas. I mean, Shinji once was the same as his mother, the same with Asuka, and Rei once was the same as the one in the core... That's, as I think, the reason for mommies and not daddies on the cores.

This doesn't make much sense to me... You are never "the same" as your mother. In most species, the mother puts a considerably higher investment into her offspring than the father, but that doesn't change the fact that fundamentally we are as much our mother as we are our father.

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2004, 23:31 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Well, if you don't like the "being one", you could also say the "flesh from the flesh" factor. Wich means that the pilots are compatible with the resident souls because they are flesh from the flesh that once held those resident souls. but be it flesh from flesh or being one, the common factor lies on some sort of similarity that arises between mothers and childrens, but not fathers and childrens, and with people who synchs with themselves, like the Rei case. Its some kind of fleshly determination.

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 01:48 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The "flesh from flesh" idea doesn't really work with Rei, though. Her bodies were independently generated -- one Rei didn't generate another.

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 06:37 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Oh? Prove it.

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 12:30 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

It does work because all Reis where made from the same flesh. All Reis were made from the salvaged Yui remains, and that makes her compatible with Yui as resident soul. And that's another evidence why the factor is a fleshly determination, and not a soul determination, because there is no relation between Yui's and Lillith's soul.

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 18:19 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:46 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:All Reis were made from the salvaged Yui remains

Unproven.

Originally posted on: 30-Mar-2004, 08:46 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:46 pm

The RCB says Reis body was made from the salvaged remains of Yui. Didn't specify, and even if it specifies, because the clones are in fact clones, they must have been made of the same material or they wouldn't be clones.

Ahh, I know, your mistrust for cannon materials, right?

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 21:02 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Achtung, Fuzzy's policy is that if it's not explicitly stated in the series or by Anno himself, it's not canon. Don't waste your energy by trying to argue with him.

Originally posted on: 29-Mar-2004, 22:02 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”