What's up with The End of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

RyoTD wrote:It could also simply be the people that Shinji wanted to see again

If that were true, then why would Yui and Kaworu not be present?

And, if Shinji reconciled with his father in Instrumentality (which the end of #26 seems to rather straightforwardly say he did), wouldn't he want to see him again, as well? Shinji's relationship with Gendo is not black and white: The antagonism that is present throughout the series is more than apparent, but, at the same time, it's also clear that Shinji intrinsically wants to love, and be loved, by his father.

The presence of the Bridge Bunnies in the photo is somewhat mysterious, since Shinji didn't seem to know them on anything but a "professional" level. Why would they have "precedence" over the missing individuals?

The "people Shinji wants to see again" idea really doesn't seem to work, as far as I can tell.

Not to overemphasize this one photo -- but I have these nagging suspicions that it an important hint that fits into the grand scheme in an internally consistent, logical manner.

:rubs antihistamines into her grey matter:

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 01:32 GMT

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Reichu wrote:If that were true, then why in the world would Yui and Kaworu not be present?

And, if Shinji reconciled with his father in Instrumentality (which the end of #26 seems to rather straightforwardly say he did), wouldn't he want to see him again, as well? Shinji's relationship with Gendo is not black and white... The antagonism that is present throughout the series is more than apparent, but, at the same time, it's also clear that Shinji intrinsically wants to love, and be loved, by his father.

I'd rephrase what I said, but it's like 04:20 am over here and I'm starting to feel a little tired.

What I meant to say was that I think that...

:thinks:

I gave my theory a thought, and it turned out that it wasn't much different from the "the people in the picture are the ones that will return" one - of course Shinji would want to meet Yui, Kaworu, Rei and Gendo again, but he knows that it's impossible. Therefore, they aren't in the picture. Makes sense? No? Whatever, I'm off to bed.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 02:19 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Gaah! I made (right before I left for work) what I thought at the time was a perfectly reasonable question regarding Reichu's take on Gendo's eventual fate, and she, and everyone else, is like "WTF is he talking about?!" Even after Mr. Tines helpfully cited the old post of his that I was refering to, you all still didn't seem to get it... So, allow me to explain myself:

Mr. Tines droll little remark about the anglerfish made quite an impression on me at the time, since a: I LMAO, and b: I thought it was a sort of quintessential Tines post, in that it was both very esoteric, and yet remarkably apt to the topic at hand, and c: it was the first time I remember anyone suggesting that Gendo's fate was, in fact, to be with Yui forever. It was from that point that my take on the topic started to change, and I started to consider what happens to Gendo in #26' in a new light.

Since Reichu, in the post preceding Tines' in that thread, was arguing that Yui was going to be alone on her long trip out into deep space, I don't see why it would be strange for me to ask if that was the point where her thinking on the subject also changed.

As for my remark about "I know where your going with this", I was just referring to how she was dancing around the subject with comments like "Aren't some people missing?" She has since got to the point with this post.

With regard to this topic, I think it is interesting to bring up this card from the Cardass set:

and to reference this old post by MDWigs.
It should be apparent that the makers of the Card set felt that Gendo's absence fom the pic somehow indicated that he was ineligible for restoration, but I think that Wigs drew the wrong conclusion from that fact, whereas I think that Reichu is on the right track.

PS @Reichu and @Soluzar: I hope this adequately explains what I was talking about; if not you can PM me...

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 03:59 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Mr. Tines droll little remark about the anglerfish made quite an impression on me at the time, since a: I LMAO, and b: I thought it was a sort of quintessential Tines post, in that it was both very esoteric, and yet remarkably apt to the topic at hand, and c: it was the first time I remember anyone suggesting that Gendo's fate was, in fact, to be with Yui forever. It was from that point that my take on the topic started to change, and I started to consider what happens to Gendo in #26' in a new light.

That part, I entirely get, and I see the applicability of it, even though I would assert that such notions are not entirely to be taken seriously. The part that baffled me is how that remark might apply to the other missing people. I suppose you must have been referring to only Gendo.

It should be apparent that the makers of the Card set felt that Gendo's absence fom the pic somehow indicated that he was ineligible for restoration, but I think that Wigs drew the wrong conclusion from that fact, whereas I think that Reichu is on the right track.

I'm more than a little shocked by that statement, and I can only hope that I've misunderstood you in some way. Are you really suggesting that the souls of those who are missing from that photograph have been taken into the core of Shogouki in order to accompany Yui on her cosmic voyage?

SEELE08 wrote:Well what else do you mean by evidence...wasn't eating off Zeruel's face enough...or maybe the events of EoE?

As I've discussed with you privately, once a course of action has been embarked upon, it is necessary to see it through to the bitter end no matter what. While there's no way to make it a civilised and pleasant act to consume the flesh of a still-living creature, it was quite simply a part of the plan which was inevitable once she chose to become one with the Evangelion.

SEELE08 wrote:Well she becomes god by totally ditching her family without so much as a word, not to mention she takes it upon herself to become god, at least SEELE had a council and wasn't one person. It takes a lot of arrogence to think one is good enough to become a supreme being. Frankly it smacks of Sephiroth and the like.

It is worth reiterating one more time at this point that the word "kami" which I believe is the one employed in this context does not carry precisely the same connotations in the Japanese language as the word "God" in English. I would have to agree with you that it's questionable if Yui could have done more to protect her family from the pain of her loss. In that regard, it seems that she allowed her aims to blind her to the suffering of those around her.

There is a degree of evidence to suggest that her single-minded desire to defeat the plans of SEELE stood above all else, and while I wouldn't call that selfish, I'd certainly not call it the perfect course of action. It's arguable that however much good she managed to do for the species as a whole, she also caused her husband and son a great deal of suffering.

I would regard the fulfilment of the plan of SEELE as an undesirable outcome in the extreme. While they may have been a large organisation with many members, they do not have the right to decide such things for all mankind. In that regard, I would state that by stopping their plan for instrumentality Yui did indeed acomplish something good. However, she did so with an unfortunately large degree of "collateral damage".

It is also guiding principle of most civilised societies that great powers should not be wielded by one single person acting alone, and I think that this is what gives rise to the accusations that Yui is arrogant. She answers to no government, no committee, to no commanding officer, not to anyone. This means that no matter whether you agree with her goals or methods, there are no checks and balances, and no consensus.

Reichu wrote:As for Sephiroth: apples and oranges.

I'd say that as his name alone should show you, there's something in Sephiroth's story which is, in my opinion, undeniably applicable to Yui. There is also plenty which differentiates the two, but I think that to call it an apples-to-oranges comparison is unjustified. It's not entirely off the mark. The intentions may have been different, but the process by which those intentions were to be achieved have much in common.

It would be nice to think that either of you would be willing to see shades of grey in this matter, or to see the opposing point of view. Things aren't ever that clear cut in Evangelion. There are no clear-cut heroes, and no clear-cut villains. There are people doing what they believe in, and that is all. I've heard Wayne's take on SEELE before, and I think that it goes a little too far. In much the same way I think that both SEELE-08 and Reichu go a little to far on the matter of Yui. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 04:57 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Soluzar wrote:It is worth reiterating one more time at this point that the word "kami" which I believe is the one employed in this context does not carry precisely the same connotations in the Japanese language as the word "God" in English.

Quoted for emphasis.

For a working example, if we were discussing Greek myth, then "kami" would be applicable to each nymph, dryad or other genius loci just as much as to the Twelve Olympians.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 05:58 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Soluzar wrote:That part, I entirely get, and I see the applicability of it, even though I would assert that such notions are not entirely to be taken seriously. The part that baffled me is how that remark might apply to the other missing people. I suppose you must have been referring to only Gendo.

That is correct.
I'm more than a little shocked by that statement, and I can only hope that I've misunderstood you in some way. Are you really suggesting that the souls of those who are missing from that photograph have been taken into the core of Shogouki in order to accompany Yui on her cosmic voyage?

I'd rather not be put in the position of defending the notion, since I'm not convinced myself. It is clear to me that Gendo, given that the manner of his demise is completely different from that of the others (i.e. no sploosh, no puddle of LCL), is being singled out from the rest of the cast. I'm strongly leaning towards the idea that he ends up with Yui. As for anyone else, I'm not going to argue a point that I'm not really persuaded of at this time.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 12:30 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:That is correct.I'd rather not be put in the position of defending the notion, since I'm not convinced myself. It is clear to me that Gendo, given that the manner of his demise is completely different from that of the others (i.e. no sploosh, no puddle of LCL), is being singled out from the rest of the cast. I'm strongly leaning towards the idea that he ends up with Yui.

You think? He ends up getting exactly what he wanted? I'd not really believed so myself. You're right when you say that it IS clear he is being singled out, but I had believed that it was Yui's intent to end his existance, not to take him with her. Mind you, it's possible the I have been unduly influence by erroneous analyses in the past.

As for anyone else, I'm not going to argue a point that I'm not really persuaded of at this time.

Good, that's what I wanted to hear. Open-mindedness is one thing, and I stand ready to be convinced, but it would take some pursuasion more than just what we've seen so far. Image

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 12:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Gaah! I made (right before I left for work) what I thought at the time was a perfectly reasonable question regarding Reichu's take on Gendo's eventual fate, and she, and everyone else, is like "WTF is he talking about?!" Even after Mr. Tines helpfully cited the old post of his that I was refering to, you all still didn't seem to get it...

I think I got too hung up on the "anglerfish" part to think about what came immediately prior. Image

As for my remark about "I know where your going with this", I was just referring to how she was dancing around the subject with comments like "Aren't some people missing?"

That's not "dancing". This is dancing.

Soluzar wrote:Are you really suggesting that the souls of those who are missing from that photograph have been taken into the core of Shogouki in order to accompany Yui on her cosmic voyage?

Well... this might account for some otherwise rather unaccountable things...

Gendo's case permits a somewhat more straightforward treatment than the other two. Once I do some more NGE2 sloggin' -- since that ought to be my Top Priority, and all Image -- I'll attempt to crank out a little something regarding this fan favorite:

Open-mindedness is one thing, and I stand ready to be convinced, but it would take some pursuasion more than just what we've seen so far.

Natürlich.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 16:12 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

I always thought of that scene as Gendo's version of the stuff that happens to Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato in the show's finale -- surrounded by imagined versions (this is the me that exists in your mind) of those who are important to him (I'm not sure quite what the criteria are, but Gendo gets a different set than the others did) and interrogated by them and himself to reveal to himself his true feelings. It seemed right that since Gendo wasn't included in the show's version, and the show ended with his motives still largely ambiguous, that Gendo himself should receive the same treatment (albiet modified) for the movie.
Clearly, his ultimate fate represents something deeper, but the format of the scene does seem to evoke the show's version of complementation more than that of the movie.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 16:57 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

@Reichu & Shin-seiki:

Just one or two points it might be helpful to address. Although Gendo, Yui, Fuyutsuki, and Kaworu are all missing from the picture, only Gendo is singled out as inelligible for return. So apparently if we strictly interpret the card there would be no reason why the others who are absent could not return. Of course, as this game is only third level canonicity we can discount anything that contradicts the anime. For instance, if "Everyone is restored except for Gendo" means that Yui is restored, then the game is wrong. So my point is, does it work to use the card to to support the part of your theory that says that Gendo doesn't return, when it undermines the part that says the other absent characters also do not return? You might be better off proceeding from the picture the way it is presented in the anime and discount the game version altogether.

Also, I find it sort of amusing that you have come around to Magi's point of view from his infamous "Gendo's Smile" thread over on Monkey's forum. His whole point was that Gendo got his wish, and his punishment consisted only of the grisly method of his assumption.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2006, 08:18 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm really not sure. When Shekinah falls apart, there is no blood-letting, just like when Rei's arm dropped off. (Although the latter managed to lose her limb as if all but the bone were neatly sliced through.) But the disintegration of Shekinah is preceded by that enigmatic "invisible chainsaw to the jugular". Well, the only way it's ever going to make any sense is by firmly establishing the context, I would imagine.

Old stock answer #113: Considering that GNR starts disintegrating before Shinji finally rejects instrumentality once and for all, I think it was something that was supposed to happen: all souls have been sucked into the Black Moon, so there's no longer any need for the cosmic vacuum cleaner. Therefore -> crumble.

As for space travel, yeah, I think Yui might have taken Gendo with her. But I can't think of any sane reason why she would have taken Kozo with her as well. When you go on a romantic trip to get your marriage back on track, you sure as hell don't want some horny third wheel tagging along. That simply screams "divorce".

In other words, I'm with Ryo in this photograph issue (even though he's a Swede):
RyoTD wrote:I gave my theory a thought, and it turned out that it wasn't much different from the "the people in the picture are the ones that will return" one - of course Shinji would want to meet Yui, Kaworu, Rei and Gendo again, but he knows that it's impossible. Therefore, they aren't in the picture.

(fgsfds)

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2006, 08:26 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

thewayneiac wrote:@Reichu & Shin-seiki:

Just one or two points it might be helpful to address. Although Gendo, Yui, Fuyutsuki, and Kaworu are all missing from the picture, only Gendo is singled out as inelligible for return. So apparently if we strictly interpret the card there would be no reason why the others who are absent could not return. Of course, as this game is only third level canonicity we can discount anything that contradicts the anime. For instance, if "Everyone is restored except for Gendo" means that Yui is restored, then the game is wrong. So my point is, does it work to use the card to to support the part of your theory that says that Gendo doesn't return, when it undermines the part that says the other absent characters also do not return? You might be better off proceeding from the picture the way it is presented in the anime and discount the game version altogether.

Wise words on the matter of methodology. It does seem that the game cannot, in this instance, be used to support the theory in anything but the most peripheral of ways.

Also, I find it sort of amusing that you have come around to Magi's point of view from his infamous "Gendo's Smile" thread over on Monkey's forum. His whole point was that Gendo got his wish, and his punishment consisted only of the grisly method of his assumption.

I still don't see how that would consitute sufficient punishment, for all that Gendo did. It's not like Sho/Yui is unaware of his misdeeds, to say nothing of his infidelity.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2006, 08:51 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

LuigiHann wrote:I always thought of that scene as Gendo's version of the stuff that happens to Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Misato in the show's finale -- surrounded by imagined versions (this is the me that exists in your mind) of those who are important to him (I'm not sure quite what the criteria are, but Gendo gets a different set than the others did) and interrogated by them and himself to reveal to himself his true feelings. It seemed right that since Gendo wasn't included in the show's version, and the show ended with his motives still largely ambiguous, that Gendo himself should receive the same treatment (albiet modified) for the movie.
Clearly, his ultimate fate represents something deeper, but the format of the scene does seem to evoke the show's version of complementation more than that of the movie.

Tsk, tsk... As a rule of thumb, one should only go for the "it's only his imagination" type explanation as a last resort. We've found that almost all of NGE "works' best if you take what you're seeing onscreen at face value. Gendo is shown talking with Yui, Kaworu, and Rei, because they are, in fact, really there.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2006, 08:55 GMT

Mr. sickVisionz [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. sickVisionz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

I think you guys are looking a bit hard @ that picture. To me, that picture is nothing more than all the "good" characters that worked for NERV while Shinji was there. And by good I mean people who were either nice or mostly nice to Shinji.

Yui didn't didn't work @ NERV while Shinji was there so thats why she isn't there. Gendo definately doesn't fit my definition of "good" so he's not there. Kwarou didn't work for NERV so how he's ruled out. Fuyutsuki was a friend of Gendo, and never really had much interaction with Shinji.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one... sometimes it isn't. In this case I think it is.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 22:00 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

I didn't mean to say that he imagined it, just that it mirrors other scenes. I used "imagined" to refer to the people speaking to him (perhaps incorrectly) to suggest that they aren't physically there, and I didn't mean to imply that they weren't as "real" as anything else that occurs around 3I. I'm not even trying to speculate on what happens, just noting the apparent reference.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 22:04 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Yui's last line in 26':
(EVA-01 and the Lance of Longinus float in space)

Even after 5 billion years, when the Earth, the Moon, and even the Sun have disappeared, it will still exist as long as even one person still lives. It will be very lonely, but as long as that one person still lives...

Seems to make me think that she is by herself

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:Yui didn't didn't work @ NERV while Shinji was there so thats why she isn't there. Gendo definately doesn't fit my definition of "good" so he's not there. Kwarou didn't work for NERV so how he's ruled out.

Although it wasn't called Nerv at the time, Shinji was present for Yui's CE.
Kaworu was the 5th Child, he was at sync tests, he was a pilot.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 22:09 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one... sometimes it isn't. In this case I think it is.

I love you. I'm already having like five people's babies or I'd offer to have yours. Image

I agree with Ornette, Yui is alone and going to drift as a monument to mankind. From her lines she seems to hint at nothing about ever populating anything- she wouldn't be lonely if she did. IT also makes more sense in a poetic justice way for her to kill Gendo upon his being "re-united" with her. After the way he treated their child (not that she was much better) and the way he handled NERV and the monster he became I"d think she'd hardly want him around her anymore.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 22:18 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Well, she doesn't say anything about simply floating in space for eternity. At some point (given that eternity is a REALLY REALLY LONG TIME), she'll eventually land on some stellar body. I suppose if she chooses so, she could power back up and avoid them (at least the dangerous ones, like a blackhole or a star, poof no more Yui). But seeing as how she is a bridge entity (both SoLs) and she has the lance... why not populate another suitable planet?

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 22:28 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Another point I just thought of:

Gendo's failure to go "splat" is often sited as evidence that his fate was different than that of the other characters. Well, Fuyutsuki does go splat. Shouldn't this be seen as proof that he shared the other characters' fate? If his fate mirrored Gendo's, shouldn't Eva Unit-01 have come for him as well, and presumably assumed him in a less violent fashion as he wasn't near as big a bastard as Gendo? Hmmm... Reichu, you're not by any chance going to turn OMF on us and say that in Fuyutsuki's case he was seeing the real Yui, are you? Image

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 23:23 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Hmmm... Reichu, you're not by any chance going to turn OMF on us and say that in Fuyutsuki's case he was seeing the real Yui, are you? Image

Ecks. Dee.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2006, 23:25 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”