NGE2 Classified Information

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

For that last part, what are you refering to as Gendo's logo? Glasses? The embryo?

Originally posted on: 07.03.2006, 09:54 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Ah, sorry. I was thinking of things as Gendo=Nerv (which is pretty much how it ends up). So something like: Gendo/Nerv = "1/2 Fig Leaf" and Keel/Seele = "7 Eyes of God".

Originally posted on: 07.03.2006, 09:58 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks. That's what I'd orginally thought myself , but then I my mind tended to seperate Gendo the person with his own agenda from Nerv for whatever reason....such a "complicated man".

Originally posted on: 07.03.2006, 10:33 PM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Reichu wrote:I dunno, I think that scenario makes sense to me.

It was more of a general statement. Image But I think things are slowly making sense and coming together.

I'd hate to sound like a heretic, but I think we need to start rethinking how the manga can be used as a source of information. It's true that Sadamoto changes some things around, pertaining to character relationships and the plot, but he also does something that Anno almost refuses to do: he fleshes out the mythos of NGE.

Sadamoto explains what the Adam Project is, how the Lance of Longinus factored into Second Impact, and the nature behind Kaworu's birth (although some of these 'answers' are heavily, if not entirely, similar to fan conclusions based on several vague hints throughout the show).

To Anno, these things are unimportant. What's important for him to express in NGE are the characters and their relationships to each other (I believe that this was stated to be his reasoning behind the TV ending - that he purposely provided more questions than answers to the show's "mysteries" so as to put the spotlight on the characters). As such, I think it's important people realize that the manga functions similarly to the game, in that it provides answers to subjects that Anno won't elaborate on.

(Kaworu would be substituted by Gendo?)

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that Gendo would take Kaworu's place as the Adam-half of GNR.

I'd also like to rescind my idea of Gendo having the same kind of 3I scenario as SEELE. New bits of information and different interpretations of such info (like Yui and Fuyutsuki's conversation by the lake) have opened my eyes to Gendo's plan being different from that of SEELE's.

Originally posted on: 07.07.2006, 08:12 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Blader5489 wrote:Sadamoto explains what the Adam Project is, how the Lance of Longinus factored into Second Impact, and the nature behind Kaworu's birth (although some of these 'answers' are heavily, if not entirely, similar to fan conclusions based on several vague hints throughout the show).

He does? I see a little bit of "exposure" in Stage 72, but that's just restating what we already know. What am I missing?

To Anno, these things are unimportant.

If it didn't matter at all, the level of pedantic detail present in the show's wacky mythos would be even more mysterious than the show itself, I'd think. Seems more like providing definitive answers, at least to a specific set of items, is a rather cruelly intentional move. At the expense of any otaku who take the bait, of course.

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was that Gendo would take Kaworu's place as the Adam-half of GNR.

Unless he's interested in serving the same function that GNK does (during his brief physical manifestation), I'm not sure why you'd say this. Gendo can 'fuse' with Adam, at any rate, but he cannot BE Adam. He's just using Adam as a stepping-stone to reach EVA-01 according to his design. But my brain isn't working right now...

I'd also like to rescind my idea of Gendo having the same kind of 3I scenario as SEELE. New bits of information and different interpretations of such info (like Yui and Fuyutsuki's conversation by the lake) have opened my eyes to Gendo's plan being different from that of SEELE's.

"New bits"?

I don't mean to come across as dismissive, BTW. This is typical "WTF information oversaturation" mode for me. Image

Originally posted on: 07.08.2006, 02:33 PM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Reichu wrote:He does? I see a little bit of "exposure" in Stage 72, but that's just restating what we already know. What am I missing?

Well like I said, a lot of it is similar to fan theories. Image

But the Adam Project has finally been given a purpose, beyond the very few times it's referenced in the series, and Kaworu's birth has finally been cleared up (in typical Eva speak, with phrases like "It seems..." and "Perhaps it occurred...").

If it didn't matter at all, the level of pedantic detail present in the show's wacky mythos would be even more mysterious than the show itself, I'd think. Seems more like providing definitive answers, at least to a specific set of items, is a rather cruelly intentional move. At the expense of any otaku who take the bait, of course.

I'm not saying they didn't matter at all, but that they weren't high on Anno's list of priorities for NGE. The core of the series was always about "the heart of people," which was why he considered both the TV ending and EoE as satisfying conclusions to the series (even though they didn't do much to resolve the show's "mysteries," something that Anno even admitted was deliberate).

Unless he's interested in serving the same function that GNK does (during his brief physical manifestation), I'm not sure why you'd say this. Gendo can 'fuse' with Adam, at any rate, but he cannot BE Adam. He's just using Adam as a stepping-stone to reach EVA-01 according to his design. But my brain isn't working right now...

But wasn't his goal to create a divinity comprised of both Adam and Lilith that he could control (and therefore control Third Impact)? I thought the whole idea for placing Lilith's soul in Rei, and implanting Adam into his own hand, was so that Adam and Lilith would adopt their respective personas (i.e. Rei/Lilith acting subservient to Gendo/Adam). That way, when they merged, Gendo would have dominant control over GNR.

"New bits"?

Eh... new for me, most likely old for the rest of you guys. Image

Originally posted on: 07.08.2006, 09:49 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Blader5489 wrote:Well like I said, a lot of it is similar to fan theories. Image

But the Adam Project has finally been given a purpose, beyond the very few times it's referenced in the series, and Kaworu's birth has finally been cleared up (in typical Eva speak, with phrases like "It seems..." and "Perhaps it occurred...").

Like I said, maybe I missed something, but in terms of Stage 72, I'm not sure what "fan theories" have to do with anything. (Also, where is the Adam Project given a stated purpose?)
Misato: I don?t care. That boy -- the Fifth, what is he really?
Ritsuko: Nagisa Kaworu... His date of birth is the same as Second
Impact.Episode #24, told to Misato by Hyuga.
Probably because, on that day, in that place, he was the
final Angel to be born.#24, Kaworu says, "Adam, the entity who is our mother. Must those who were born from Adam return to Adam..." blah blah blah. "Our" = "Angels", "Angels" includes Kaworu, ergo Kaworu was born from Adam. If Kaworu was born on the day of 2I, from Adam, then ... well, duh.
Misato (shocked): You can?t mean... Are you saying that all the
Angels were born from Adam?See the above.
What did humans do to Adam on that day?Not really explained explicitly ANYwhere. This one is a total bitch.
(Background image of Lancea Longinus)Yeah, we already knew it was involved in 2I.
Ritsuko: Humans tried to return Adam to an egg before the other
Angels awoke. The result was Second Impact.Misato fed this to Shinji in #25'. It's still an extremely cryptic oversimplification either way.
Among the data from your father?s research team that was retrieved just before it happened, I have heard that there were indications of an attempt to use human genes in some way.Pre-OP sequence in #21'.
If that was actually done in secret, if the Angel born at that time took human form, and if the Committee got their hands on it, then according to MAGI everything adds up.Kaworu says that he and Rei are in the same form as the Lilim in #24'. The Committee acquiring Kaworu's egg along with Adam's is never stated in the anime, but it's not really a 'fan theory' either. The idea was publicized at least as early as the EoE theatrical program.

Yeah. So, nothing new. The same sparse, fragmented stuff the anime contains, just gathered up conveniently. But the manga is also leaving a lot of stuff out, like Misato's connection to Kaworu (by way of Daddy). (Sadamoto evidently doesn't want to venture into that terrain; he cut off the "Monoliths of the Lake" scene right before Kaworu would have glanced at Misato. Much more important than you might think.)

But wasn't his goal to create a divinity comprised of both Adam and Lilith that he could control (and therefore control Third Impact)? I thought the whole idea for placing Lilith's soul in Rei, and implanting Adam into his own hand, was so that Adam and Lilith would adopt their respective personas (i.e. Rei/Lilith acting subservient to Gendo/Adam). That way, when they merged, Gendo would have dominant control over GNR.

He was giving Rei instructions on what to do, which went as far as delivering him (and everybody else, apparently) to Yui (EVA-01). "Control over Third Impact" isn't something I think Gendo would be capable of in the way you seem to be suggesting; rather, I imagine he'd be functioning in a similar way as Shinji unwittingly ends up.

Merging with Adam? I'll make the suggestion that it had something to do with Gendo's idea of complementation -- which, I think, involves bringing Lilim and Apostles together and giving everybody "one perfect leaf", so to speak. You get to hold both Fruits and keep your individuality, too! Unfortunately, you need to kill everybody on both sides before you can do that. And also unfortunately, this idea is really hard to explain in the grotesque detail that might be required, and I feel rather lazy rather now, so if I sound absolutely mad, I guess that's okay. Image

And why'd he put Adam in his PALM, too? Well, I guess we can see where else in the show palms might be relevant in such wacky contexts... Also, perhaps relevant, they make a point of drawing attention to the left-hand palm of that Dr. Katsuragi guy -- who is established as Gendo's counterpart on a certain level as-is -- in three different ways. (Although some would say it's all in my head. Bah!)

Eh... new for me, most likely old for the rest of you guys. Image

Well, probably, but you never know. Care to share?

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 12:44 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Reichu wrote:(Although some would say it's all in my head. Bah!)

*raises hand* Hai! Me, myself and I.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 03:11 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:*raises hand* Hai! Me, myself and I.

You weren't a very good sport when I attempted to share the ideas and explorations about Dr. Katsuragi behind closed doors, declaring them worthy of total annihilation before I had barely begun to say my piece. "There's MORE? Hell with that. Drop the N2 Bomb now, and ask no questions." Tsk tsk tsk. Won't do. What became of courtesy?

I hope you're not contemplating any more kamikaze tactics, BTW. I know how much you hate (hate) this one.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 03:29 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Reichu wrote:You weren't a very good sport when I attempted to share the ideas and explorations about Dr. Katsuragi behind closed doors, declaring them worthy of total annihilation before I had barely begun to say my piece.

Just kick up a pre-existing thread and finish what you started, then.

I hope you're not contemplating any more kamikaze tactics, BTW. I know how much you hate (hate) this one.

Absolutely not. It's not like we get a narrator announcing that Kaworu is a clone of some random nobody.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 03:51 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Just kick up a pre-existing thread and finish what you started, then.

Continue one of *those* threads? I would rather drink the soda leaking out of the trash bags at fast food joints!

No. I'm an opportunist, waiting for my opportunity. I tend to just lazily dangle hooks in most of my posts. The time-consuming 'exposition' is much easier to do "in the moment", when the issue at hand has become (however briefly) an actual focal point in conversation. And then, it all flows like urine from a swollen bladder. (But it doesn't necessarily smell quite as rank.)

Absolutely not. It's not like we get a narrator announcing that Kaworu is a clone of some random nobody.

You rather fancy that Narrator Lady.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 09:27 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Reichu wrote:Continue one of *those* threads? I would rather drink the soda leaking out of the trash bags at fast food joints!

I kinda understand. I wouldn't want anyone to bump that original LAEM-thread either... (People: HINT HINT)

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 10:57 AM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Reichu wrote:(Also, where is the Adam Project given a stated purpose?)

In Stage 72, Gendo says that GEHIRN "will also pursue the restoration of the original Adam" and then Fuyutsuki titles that the Adam Project. I don't believe that's ever stated in the anime (though I don't know what that has to do with impaling Lilith with the Spear).

No no, I wasn't referring to Kaworu being born from Adam or 2I being a result of Adam being made into an egg. This next part is what I was referring to by "Kaworu's birth":

Among the data from your father?s research team that was retrieved just before it happened, I have heard that there were indications of an attempt to use human genes in some way.Pre-OP sequence in #21'.
If that was actually done in secret, if the Angel born at that time took human form, and if the Committee got their hands on it, then according to MAGI everything adds up.Kaworu says that he and Rei are in the same form as the Lilim in #24'. The Committee acquiring Kaworu's egg along with Adam's is never stated in the anime, but it's not really a 'fan theory' either. The idea was publicized at least as early as the EoE theatrical program.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't Ritusko saying here that Kaworu was created by as a result of experimenting human genes with Adam? And that those genes are the reason why Kaworu, unlike the other Angels, has a body resembling humans?

He was giving Rei instructions on what to do, which went as far as delivering him (and everybody else, apparently) to Yui (EVA-01). "Control over Third Impact" isn't something I think Gendo would be capable of in the way you seem to be suggesting; rather, I imagine he'd be functioning in a similar way as Shinji unwittingly ends up.

Merging with Adam? I'll make the suggestion that it had something to do with Gendo's idea of complementation -- which, I think, involves bringing Lilim and Apostles together and giving everybody "one perfect leaf", so to speak. You get to hold both Fruits and keep your individuality, too! Unfortunately, you need to kill everybody on both sides before you can do that. And also unfortunately, this idea is really hard to explain in the grotesque detail that might be required, and I feel rather lazy rather now, so if I sound absolutely mad, I guess that's okay. Image

The CI states that Gendo fused with Adam so that he could merge with Rei/Lilith. Then, as this divinity, he would merge with EVA-01 (I'm guessing it'd be something similar to GNR assimilating Yui/ToL in EoE). I don't think he was trying to enter the Ark called Yui. Image

As for "control of Third Impact", the only reason Shinji was in a position to affect everything was because Rei gave him that choice. This is just speculation on my part, but I believe that had she not done that, GNR would've had ultimate control over their event.

Well, probably, but you never know. Care to share?

Well for one, Yui and Fuyutsuki's lake side conversation in 21'. Having only seen the NPC episodes once, I forgot (or maybe never knew in the first place) about Yui wanting to rush her Contact Experiment and merge into EVA-01's core so as to escape assassination by SEELE.

Also Reichu, I keep forgetting to ask you, but whatever became of this? Were you able to extract any further useful/interesting/baffling information from Eva tomo no kai?

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 12:54 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Blader5489 wrote:In Stage 72, Gendo says that GEHIRN "will also pursue the restoration of the original Adam" and then Fuyutsuki titles that the Adam Project. I don't believe that's ever stated in the anime (though I don't know what that has to do with impaling Lilith with the Spear).

I think in episode #14, Fuyutsuki was changing the subject after Gendo says that the Adam Project is not even 2% behind schedule or whatever.

No no, I wasn't referring to Kaworu being born from Adam or 2I being a result of Adam being made into an egg. This next part is what I was referring to by "Kaworu's birth"... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but isn't Ritusko saying here that Kaworu was created by as a result of experimenting human genes with Adam? And that those genes are the reason why Kaworu, unlike the other Angels, has a body resembling humans?

Just stuff in the anime conveniently gathered in one spot, like I said. I was confused by your suggestion that fleshing out things more than the anime did, since none of the information is technically new. But, come to think of it, I suppose there are those who didn't take the "assembly" of the clues in the anime seriously. Even with Sadamoto spelling it out for people, they're still under no obligation to believe it, because the anime itself doesn't spell it out in plain words. Image

Do keep in mind that anything that IS "unique" to the manga is not automatically filling up a gap in the anime. (But you probably know that.) They need to be carefully weighed for their potential validity, like anything else. The manga certainly isn't going to be the salvation of the geeks boggling over the anime.

The CI states that Gendo fused with Adam so that he could merge with Rei/Lilith. Then, as this divinity, he would merge with EVA-01 (I'm guessing it'd be something similar to GNR assimilating Yui/ToL in EoE).

It's ambiguously worded enough that it's not restricted to such a reading. "As this divinity", for example, isn't actually there.

I don't think he was trying to enter the Ark called Yui. Image

Still not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, but here's one for you: Rei comments in #25 that, in the end, Gendo is going to abandon her. Offhand, I can't think of anything that actually contradicts with the implications of this: That is, that Gendo wasn't planning to stick around with Lilith any longer than required. "A means to an end."

The show basically tells us that said 'end' lies with Yui/Eva, and apparently Gendo and Yui have plans of their own. (See: Gendo's babbling at EVA-01's cage in #24.) There is a lot of information one needs to gather into a pile and sort through before a decent picture of Gendo's plan can be reached. (Another way to approach the matter is to consider not just Gendo, but think of him as a 'team' with Yui and Kozo.) Might require a huge fanwank job. Never know until you try.

As for "control of Third Impact", the only reason Shinji was in a position to affect everything was because Rei gave him that choice. This is just speculation on my part, but I believe that had she not done that, GNR would've had ultimate control over their event.

Things are convoluted enough that I'm hesitant to draw any firm conclusions one way or another at the moment. But look at it this way.

Seele put a lot of stock into Shinji "complementing mankind with [his] imperfect ego", and Fuyutsuki says that the fate of humanity is up to Shinji, right after EVA-01 becomes "sorta God". Now, why would they say this if Shinji weren't acting as some kind of crucial ingredient for HIP, and Lilith could just proceed according to her own whims? Why would Shinji's angsty little ego be elevated to such incredible status (check out all of the Shinji-related gobbledygook associated with 3I phenomena), when he's really not a pilot anymore (in the sense that he's not doing any piloting) and Mommy has become a complemented divinity with such incredible power you'd think she could just do whatever she wants? (But we only get to see that when she dismantles everything.) There's something awfully fishy going on.

If it wasn't Shinji, it probably would have been somebody else -- Gendo, or otherwise.

Well for one, Yui and Fuyutsuki's lake side conversation in 21'. Having only seen the NPC episodes once, I forgot (or maybe never knew in the first place) about Yui wanting to rush her Contact Experiment and merge into EVA-01's core so as to escape assassination by SEELE.

Were you reading old threads or something?

Also Reichu, I keep forgetting to ask you, but whatever became of this? Were you able to extract any further useful/interesting/baffling information from Eva tomo no kai?

Random odds and ends ("Anno designed JA? lol"), but NGE2-scale undertakings aren't coming anytime soon. Also, don't put too much stock in the translation of the thing you linked to -- some of it sounds decidedly dodgy. I'd be able to pull off a rather better (and probably complete) one in the present day.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 02:33 PM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Reichu wrote:Do keep in mind that anything that IS "unique" to the manga is not automatically filling up a gap in the anime. (But you probably know that.) They need to be carefully weighed for their potential validity, like anything else. The manga certainly isn't going to be the salvation of the geeks boggling over the anime.

Of course, I'm not going to put all my faith into the manga and the possibility of Sadamoto answering a lot of questions. I just don't think it should be blatantly ignored just because of differences that Sadamoto has made to the characters.

It's ambiguously worded enough that it's not restricted to such a reading. "As this divinity", for example, isn't actually there.

"As this divinity" was just something I wrote as a kind of reflex. When I read that Gendo's aim was to fuse with Adam and then Lilith, I immediately thought of GNR, which (unless I'm wrong) is something of a god/goddess/divinity. Though I wouldn't say it's far off, considering the CI calls it Gendo's "personal vision of divinity."

Still not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, but here's one for you: Rei comments in #25 that, in the end, Gendo is going to abandon her. Offhand, I can't think of anything that actually contradicts with the implications of this: That is, that Gendo wasn't planning to stick around with Lilith any longer than required. "A means to an end."

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Though couldn't Rei's fear be realized had she merged with Gendo into his "personal vision of divinity"? In 25, Rei was afraid that her identity would cease to exist (i.e. Rei adopts her true persona of Lilith, losing her identity as Rei Ayanami) once Gendo was done with her. Wouldn't this have actually happen had she fused with Gendo and then EVA-01?

Seele put a lot of stock into Shinji "complementing mankind with [his] imperfect ego", and Fuyutsuki says that the fate of humanity is up to Shinji, right after EVA-01 becomes "sorta God". Now, why would they say this if Shinji weren't acting as some kind of crucial ingredient for HIP, and Lilith could just proceed according to her own whims? Why would Shinji's angsty little ego be elevated to such incredible status (check out all of the Shinji-related gobbledygook associated with 3I phenomena), when he's really not a pilot anymore (in the sense that he's not doing any piloting) and Mommy has become a complemented divinity with such incredible power you'd think she could just do whatever she wants? (But we only get to see that when she dismantles everything.) There's something awfully fishy going on.

I guess SEELE had to put all their faith into Shinji because he was just in that position. I don't think that's why they wanted (which is probably why they created the Dummy System in the first place, and ordered the JSSDF to kill the pilots while retrieving the Evas), just something they had to go with.

I also don't think Lilith could've "proceeded by her own whims." I mean, she could, but she wanted to give control over everything to Shinji. If Lilith's soul hadn't been incarnated as Rei, and raised to be closely tied with the Ikari family (i.e. the relationships she forms with Gendo and Shinji throughout the course of the series), then my guess is that Lilith would've simply initiated 3I of her own volition.

Were you reading old threads or something?

More or less. Why, has that theory been rendered obsolete since then?

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 05:35 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Blader5489 wrote:More or less. Why, has that theory been rendered obsolete since then?

I'm not sure if it has or not, but I rather hope not, since I do think that theory had a trace of elegance to it. It was discussed extensively at one point, but I can't recall what consensus arose.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 08:36 PM

Oath5 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Oath5 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

I always thought Rei intentionally ( with the help of a metaphysical Kaworu) poked and prodded Shinji towards the decision to reject Instrumentality....their dialouge is often very..." Wait! Think about this!" in nature...and even in the television episode versions- Rei is used as a " topic" changer and points out the problems in everyone, I remember her appearing behind Asuka and confiming she was just like Shinji, whom Asuka was currently berating truthfully about his overall character- thus initiating a Instrumentality " Asuka in the hot seat" scene.

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 08:51 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Blader5489 wrote:Of course, I'm not going to put all my faith into the manga and the possibility of Sadamoto answering a lot of questions. I just don't think it should be blatantly ignored just because of differences that Sadamoto has made to the characters.

It can be rejected because of changes that he's made to the mythos, though...

"As this divinity" was just something I wrote as a kind of reflex. When I read that Gendo's aim was to fuse with Adam and then Lilith, I immediately thought of GNR, which (unless I'm wrong) is something of a god/goddess/divinity. Though I wouldn't say it's far off, considering the CI calls it Gendo's "personal vision of divinity."

Remember that it is just a translation, and one of the earlier CI entries (i.e., in the worst need of tweakage). FYI, "divinity" is just how I chose to render kami at that time. The entry can, still, be taken multiple ways. It's "accomodating" enough that it is compatible with my own working theory, as well.

They do it on purpose, you know. Image

On an aside, seeing translations I worked on cited in one-on-one geek-combat against my own ideas in ways I'd never anticipated feels incredibly weird. Image "Hey, I didn't use that wording so you could do that!" But seriously, some revisions do need to be made. I better get movin'...

More or less. Why, has that theory been rendered obsolete since then?

Naw, none of the discussion or findings since Dr. Nick and I had our illegitimate lovetheory (at least, I think that's how it went) have thrown it out of orbit. Knock on wood.

I wonder how much of this tennis match is so completely incomprehensible that not only do most of the readers have no clue what we're talking about, neither of us really know what the hell is going on, either. Image I don't think *I* really do. (I actually haven't had a clue ever since I stopped knowing everything sometime in February.)

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 10:50 PM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Reichu wrote:"Hey, I didn't use that wording so you could do that!"

Somehow, I know that if Anno were reading all this, he'd say exactly the same thing. Image

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 11:12 PM

NAveryW [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Blader5489 wrote:Somehow, I know that if Anno were reading all this, he'd say exactly the same thing. Image

If Anno were to go to Eva message boards in his spare time, he'd probably die of laughter from most of what he read. Image

Originally posted on: 07.09.2006, 11:59 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”