NGE2 Classified Information

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:WTF!! So did this just shoot the Duel of the Seeds out of the water or what?
Fer crying out loud, Reichu, I've been going around on other forums, confidently stating that the Spear found embedded in Adam was actually Lilith's, and then you blindside me with this

*raises hand* you're not alone...how ironic that what all the new people from 2006 and onwards are actually right in that it's Adam's Spear stuck in herself.

But it doesn't neccessarily mean that DotS never took place...just that it went a different route than what most people would've envisioned (instead of Spear-vs-Spear, it was probably more with hands and feet ((and teeth?)) until the Spear took action)

Ornette wrote:Based off of the next section (C), it looks like there's a spear for every seed.

Weren't people talking about this a while ago? About how each Seed came with a Spear, a Carrier-Moon, and a Seed-Moon?

You know, this makes a lot of sense to me, for reasons I'm unable to articulate. 2 things immediately comes to mind when I read that; the spear coming to Eva-01 from the moon (uh-oh, god-status alert, must act), and the reason Seele needed the spear to begin with (we don't want to create a god, we just want to be tang). Whether any of that is true or not, I dunno, need to think about it some more.

That's a pretty good explanation...if the Spear act on its own, then it would explain the 'pointing-at-throat' thing.

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 04:49 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:18 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Fer crying out loud, Reichu, I've been going around on other forums, confidently stating that the Spear found embedded in Adam was actually Lilith's, and then you blindside me with this Image Image Image_

Is that intended to be as harsh as it sounds?

EDIT: How's about Ornette's suggestion for a separate Spear-thread? (Relocating discussions seems to often have the effect of killing them, for some reason, but...)

Asking about (D) now.

On an aside, the concept that Lilith's spear is out of the picture seems untenably bizarre, considering things like this...

...which were extraordinarily "WTF?!?" in the first place.

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 05:01 PM

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

If it weren't so clearly the same Spear that Yui summons that Rei threw away, I would have suggested that there might have been a bit of the old gypsy switch going on during the chaos of 3I.

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 05:54 PM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Reichu wrote:Is that intended to be as harsh as it sounds?

[...puts aside voodoo doll labeled "Reichu"] Image
Sorry, it's just that I'm on record saying stuff like this:
shin-seiki wrote:Altho she hasn't posted an 'official' translation of the relevant section yet, Reichu reports that the NGE2 Classified Info states flatly that the Spear of Longinus belongs to Lilith and arrived on earth with her at the time of First Impact. As for the part about Lilith using the Spear to 'take out' Adam, Anno sort of dances around the notion in NGE2, without spelling it out in so many words, but it is by far the most reasonable extrapolation of the evidence that we have to work with:
1: We're told that the Spear is Lilith's and arrived with her.
2: We see in the Test Type OP (and the old version of the Reiquarium scene in #23') that Adam was discovered impaled on the Spear within the White Moon.

And you yourself just published this:
Geektionary wrote:Duel of the Seeds

Unofficial name for the primordial battle between Adam and Lilith (technically speculative). To summarize: Adam arrived on Earth first and was slated to produce a human race to inhabit it ("the true successors from the White Moon"), but, due to sheer bad luck, Lilith's Black Moon collided into the planet in the vicinity of current-day Antarctica. (This resulted in First, or Giant, Impact, and the creation of Luna.) As another Seed of Life, Lilith had a duty to perform, as well -- but, since one planet can only support one form of life, one of the two Seeds had to be neutralized. Wielding the Spear of Longinus, her weapon and energy source, Lilith confronted her counterpart within the White Moon so as to determine, through a duel using the Spears both had been sent with, which of them was more worthy to bring humanity to Earth. Adam was defeated, run through with Lilith's Spear of Longinus and placed into suspended animation -- only to be discovered and reawakened by Lilith's own offspring some four billion years later.

The most blatant hint in the show is the image of Adam being exhumated, wherein the tines of the Spear of Longinus are visible emerging from her back -- i.e., she's skewered on it. A long while back, Shin-seiki forwarded the idea that it was Lilith who did the impaling, the only probable scenario since "Lilith was the only other living being around at the time [and she] had means, motive, and opportunity." This took a while to sink in, though, since people (like Reichu) can be rather dense at times. Things seemed to start falling into place a bit more succinctly once the Spear's ties to Lilith were properly addressed. The NGE2 Classified Information also turned up, the contents of which buttressed and elaborated upon the assembly work we'd already done. I've also speculated that the battle between EVA-02 and EVA-01 in #24 is, in essence, a "replay" of the initial duel: only between "Adam's alter ego" (spoken by Kaworu, #24) and "Lilith's alter ego" (Keel, #25') this time around, with the Black Moon as the stage.

So, I hope you can understand that I'm in major "AARRGGHHH!!!..." mode right now. I'll have to go back on Madboards and do an Emily Latela-esque "Oh-ho, that's different! Never mind... Image"

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 06:31 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:[...puts aside voodoo doll labeled "Reichu"] Image

Were DatDude and Seele08 selling those?

Sorry, it's just that I'm on record saying stuff like this: "Reichu reports that the NGE2 Classified Info states flatly that the Spear of Longinus belongs to Lilith and arrived on earth with her at the time of First Impact."

Well, that DID turn out to be in the CI after all, no? It's just that a more comprehensive reading -- which wasn't available at the time -- implies that we might be talking about "A" Spear of Longinus rather than "THE" Spear of Longinus", but Japanese by its very nature sucks like this. Or, at least, an adequate understanding of the cues that compensate for such things as the lack of articles and plurals is probably only gained with time and practice.

And you yourself just published this

And it's about to be molested somewhat.

I will say, tho, that this Spear stuff is far too wacky for me to commit to anything right now, including the elimination of DotS from the game board. Starting from square one might be the best approach overall (IMO). "The only thing that's certain is uncertainty."

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 07:05 PM

Jabberwok [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jabberwok [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Reichu wrote:...considering things like this...

Are you meaning to say the Harpies' Heavy-Lances are of the same line as Lilith's "missing" Lance? Perhaps created in a way similar to how Rei-buds may or may not be harvested? Not disagreeing, just want to know if that's where you were going.

20-A. Confidential Information wrote:The First Ancestral Race prepared this as a counter-measure in the event that a Seed of Life (Progenitor Entity) did not follow their own goals.

This both does and does not make sense for me.

What doesn't make much sense is why Adam would be "suspended" in the first place. In what way did she 'not follow their own goals'? I would have expected Lilith, as an interloper, to be the one skewered. Was Adam planning to do something "not in the book", perhaps to her children, in response to Lilith?

What kind of makes sense is why Seele had wanted to destroy the Lance, but not why they were so upset about losing it to Arael. Clearly their plan to use tang as a path to divinity would have angered the Lance, but what would its purpose have been before its destruction? To destroy the Seed that initiated Third Impact before it could leave or form the Tree of Life or something? [I have a pet theory that the intended Units 05-16 (count 12, as in twelve monoliths) were to be Seele's indended god-shells after 3I. The Lance would not have approved. 12... 12.. The 12 Titans perhaps?]

But enough questions. As had been hinted to in the past, this CI entry was quite meaty and very tasty. I again thank you (translators) for your efforts.

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 07:15 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Jabberwok wrote:Are you meaning to say the Harpies' Heavy-Lances are of the same line as Lilith's "missing" Lance? Perhaps created in a way similar to how Rei-buds may or may not be harvested? Not disagreeing, just want to know if that's where you were going.

I had thought that perhaps the manner of the Copies' destruction (exploding into Tang-colored blobs with Rei-sprout-looking things sticking out) was a visual allusion back to the owner of the "Original" (the one that was stuck in the Moon).

What doesn't make much sense is why Adam would be "suspended" in the first place. In what way did she 'not follow their own goals'? I would have expected Lilith, as an interloper, to be the one skewered. Was Adam planning to do something "not in the book", perhaps to her children, in response to Lilith?

Perhaps Seeds "not following their own goals" alludes to two of them ending up on the same world. Ergo, one must get KO'd "for the sake of 'public safety'", because otherwise you have your two lines of humans killing each other. Or something.

Clearly their plan to use tang as a path to divinity would have angered the Lance, but what would its purpose have been before its destruction? To destroy the Seed that initiated Third Impact before it could leave or form the Tree of Life or something?

They say that they can't achieve complementation/Instrumentality via Lilith without the Spear. Hmm.

[I have a pet theory that the intended Units 05-16 (count 12, as in twelve monoliths) were to be Seele's indended god-shells after 3I. The Lance would not have approved. 12... 12.. The 12 Titans perhaps?]

The 12 harpies/12 Seele Dudes observation has come up before... I have some inarticulate thoughts about this (of no particular consequence, since they're inarticulate), but, whatever Seele had planned, I think they just wanted to use the Evas for "opening the Path to Divinity", and then everyone gets fused into one big, happy hivemind. Humanity's "colony" existence is abandoned for a "singular" one.

EDIT: Forgot to paste this into the box...

Mr. Tines wrote:If it weren't so clearly the same Spear that Yui summons that Rei threw away, I would have suggested that there might have been a bit of the old gypsy switch going on during the chaos of 3I.

"Old gypsy switch"? Image

The "summoning" thing is another problem... How DO you explain all this?
Yui takes in Shinji and blasts open a path to the surface, straight through the Nerv pyramid.The cross of light reforms into two wings; Yui levitates out; the surroundings are whipped into a furor by (presumably) the deployment of her ATF.She pops off her pylons; the two wings split into four.On the Moon, an ATF blur begins to 'affect' the Spear. It starts pulling out slowly, and finally, when the blur hits the peak of intensity, it whisks out and zooms back to Earth.The non-bident end comes directly to Yui's throat (she's already bent backwards with it exposed, as if in anticipation?); the environs immediately settle down.Seele are all happy, and they start the proceedings.
And later on, it fuses with her only AFTER mysterious things have happened to result in Yui finally getting the actual Fruit of Life (courtesy of Kaworu-Adam and big hands, if the sequence of events means anything...) and thus, in theory, actualizing the 'godhood' Seele didn't want her to have. And then, even later, after she's sprouted 12 wings, Yui "hacks up" the Spear (which magically reappears "out of nowhere", accompanied by a spray of red) and apparently makes it work for HER.

Also, Lilith, before falling apart, was allowed to become immensely huge, S2-powered, and 12-winged, and wiped organic life off the face of the planet. And the Spear just stands by in ToL form and gets eaten by Lilith's forehead. "Oh, okay, whatever. It's all good."

So, uh, what's going on, again?

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 07:43 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Ornette wrote:I think there still could have been some Duel or altercation of some kind. It just seems that Lilith got the KO using Adam's spear instead of hers.

I can see it all now; it's just like in shows like Dragonball and Yu Yu Hakusho:

Lilith crashes onto Earth and goes looking for Adam. When she arrives in what eventually becomes Antarctica, Adam's spear realizes that Lilith is breaking the rules by just being there and goes after her. With The Spear close behind her, Lilith runs straight at Adam and ducks!

Yep, that must be what happened.

Seriously, it looks like Lilith's Spear is probably out of the picture. If the Spear in the show is Lilith's, then where is Adam's?

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 10:10 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:Seriously, it looks like Lilith's Spear is probably out of the picture. If the Spear in the show is Lilith's, then where is Adam's?

I'm confused. Don't you mean the other way around...?

My take on the bit in (D) should be right, all context considered.

As things stand, far more mysteries have been generated than supposed "answers", particularly with regard to this Spear stuff. The CI is hardly the end-all be-all that people have hoped for, and there is tons of stuff in the show that it doesn't lay a finger on. (At least, not in any obvious way.) I'm probably just tired and cranky, but it's times like these that I feel my geek-faith in the show's solvability factor die a little.

Two more entries of mind-rapeage to go. :sigh:

Originally posted on: 06.20.2006, 11:07 PM

ElDusto [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ElDusto [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

So, Lillith lost her SoL when the Black Moon impacted Earth; and Lillith impaled Adam with Adam's SoL. That's the way I'm interpreting that.
I'm thinking the Spear joined with Yui to stop Lillith from going any farther with 3I cause maybe it knew and approved of Yui's intentions?

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 12:57 AM

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Reichu wrote:"Old gypsy switch"? Image

Substitution via prestidigitation e.g. the subject gives the worker an object, and the worker then switches it with a prepared object of the same type e.g. a normal egg subtituted by an egg full of blood.

Reichu wrote:Also, Lilith, before falling apart, was allowed to become immensely huge, S2-powered, and 12-winged, and wiped organic life off the face of the planet

The countermeasure may simply take time to activate, if it has to draw from some other local resources, perhaps. After all, the end result was the neutralisation of Lilith and the conditions for life to return.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 02:16 AM

kaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaos [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm

For something that has a will of its own, the Spear sure seems be manipulated a lot.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 12:05 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

thewayneiac wrote:Seriously, it looks like Lilith's Spear is probably out of the picture. If the Spear in the show is Lilith's, then where is Adam's?

Reichu wrote:I'm confused. Don't you mean the other way around...?

No, that was aimed at anyone who still hopes that it is somehow Lilith's Spear after all.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 01:23 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Am I alone in thinking that pretty much nothing makes sense right now? Well, I mean, some of it makes perfect sense, whereas other parts seem to be going contra the cues in the actual show and turning everything into even more of an incomprehensible mess than it already was. Trusting that the CI is all "straight from the horse's mouth", I feel like most of what I've been doing is fan-wankage after all.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 06:05 PM

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Reichu wrote:Am I alone in thinking that pretty much nothing makes sense right now?

I'm not sure if I'm thinking that, more along the lines of a (selective) reassessment. I can forsee discussions along the lines of "What does it mean now that we know <stuff>".

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 06:09 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Ornette wrote:I'm not sure if I'm thinking that, more along the lines of a (selective) reassessment. I can forsee discussions along the lines of "What does it mean now that we know ".

It's still hard to say what we actually "know". One has to do a 'reading' of this stuff -- and the show, most importantly -- rather carefully, given the various layers of misconceptions/contradictions, half-truths, cipher, etc. Assuming this is a puzzle that can be solved (and I don't know if it can be), we are being dealt an awful lot of pieces that don't seem to fit anywhere.

But, yeah. I just had a huge tower of work knocked down in one fell swoop (just when things seemed like they were starting to make sense), so I'm feeling slightly bitter and nearly inclined to retire every other theory of mine that second-tier canon alludes against, just for consistency's sake. Thus we would behead, in addition to everything else, the Armisael epiphany and the "EVA-01 = surrogate daughter" stuff (at least), while increasing the demand for Reichu voodoo dolls at the same time.

I pray I don't end up turning to the Dark Side and becoming one of THEM.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 06:25 PM

Jabberwok [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jabberwok [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Reichu wrote:Am I alone in thinking that pretty much nothing makes sense right now? Well, I mean, some of it makes perfect sense, whereas other parts seem to be going contra to the cues in the actual show and turning everything into even more of an incomprehensible mess than it already was.
Assuming this is a puzzle that can be solved (and I don't know if it can be), we are being dealt an awful lot of pieces that don't seem to fit anywhere.

Ornette wrote:I'm not sure if I'm thinking that, more along the lines of a (selective) reassessment.

I can recall my first time doing a full watch through of Eva after reading some classic threads on these boards. And when I say "full watch through" I mean a 10+ hour, back-to-back blitz on some weekend.

As opposed to my previous rewatchings, I found myself reading between the lines, lines I hadn't realized exsisted, and incorporating much of what I had read into a more complete understanding of the material. I'm sure others have had similar experiences, especially in early re-viewings.

When NGE2:CI is all said and done, and the discussion on the remaining entries has tappered, I plan on re-reading the meat of this thread, and then sitting down to waste the bulk of a Saturday.

Will I be able to synthesize all that I have read here, and form a new, more complete understanding? I can only hope.

If not... Well, then by that time, I should have a grip of Eureka Seven downloads waiting for me. The following Sunday will at least be entertaining.

Originally posted on: 06.21.2006, 06:51 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Hold onto that optimism...

Did a Japanese search for 'kami e no michi' (non-Eva sites) to find out what it actually refers to. I was wrong about the SToL thing. It's apparently a concept in one of the "Four Spiritual Laws" of Christianity, and refers to Jesus Christ in the sense of him being the 'Way to God'.

(Source)
Wasn't too hard to find the English version.

He Is the Only Way to God
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me'" (John 14:6).

This diagram illustrates that God has bridged the gulf which separates us from Him by sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross in our place to pay the penalty for our sins.

(Source)
Well, at the very least, that big cross explains this:

...and wonkiness like Lilith and Yui getting crucified for everybody's sins. And the Eva Series "crucifying" themselves. ...I guess.

"The Way to God" doesn't sound nearly as cool as some of the alternatives, though. Maybe it's just me.

Originally posted on: 06.22.2006, 02:51 PM

Blader5489 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blader5489 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Seeing your post reminds me of a little tidbit I caught on the Web a while back. There was (is?) a Christian legend that stated that the wood the True Cross (the cross Jesus was crucified on) was made from was derived from the Tree of Knowledge. This interpretation was held by several Christians, including Martin Luther, who believed that the cross represented the Tree of Knowledge while Jesus represented the Tree of Life.

Source

As I see it, this connects to Evangelion in two ways: 1) The cross and the one crucified on it being used to unite Man with God, and 2) Both the Fruit of Life and Fruit of Knowledge required to become godlike. In other words, one needs to obtain both fruits in order to become the link between Mankind and God.

I know a lot of that is already established information, but I thought it'd make a nice corollary for the post above.

Also, out of curiosity (and probably my own forgetfulness), where has the term "kami e no michi" come up?

Originally posted on: 06.22.2006, 06:04 PM

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Blader5489 wrote:Also, out of curiosity (and probably my own forgetfulness), where has the term "kami e no michi" come up?

Gendou mentioned it in the very scene that Reichu has screencapped above, saying that Instrumentality was the path to God. That's the only one I can remember off-hand.

Originally posted on: 06.22.2006, 07:17 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”