Rei, Lilith, and Quantum Mechanics

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

zharth [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zharth [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Quantum Mechanics? In Evangelion? Man, you guys are awesome!

Originally posted on: 22-Oct-2003, 03:18 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Perhaps quantum mechanics is in Evangelion Image

However Gendou's floorplan is not a picture of a bubble chamber.
Particles in a chamber exhibit random spirals that continue till the particle is lost.
Now the floor plan has in the center many separate circles, not of a particle that spirals. There are no spirals occuring at all.

Also all the lines converge on the circle. Thus contradicting with the basis of Quantum theory of pure randomness of particles.

I'm not saying the picture isn't significant. Just that it isn't a picture of quantum particles.

Also I've noticed that There are Circles that all seem to start where Gendou sits. However that's an optical illusion. Instead they at a too sharp an angle for us to see clearly.

However the edge towards us we can see that they are parallel circles.

<sidenote> notice what looks like Japanese characters on one of the symetrical circles on the outside.

P.s. I don't think Quantum theory explains Rei's soul. It never applies.

Originally posted on: 16-Feb-2004, 19:23 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Shinshieki just showed me this great pic to further illustrate that this isn't a picture of a bubble chamber.

Those are separate circles even each line is separately numbered.
Particles don't travel in single circles.
They travel in complete randomness.
Those are simply single circles lying on top of each other.
Those aren't Quantum particles at all.

Quantum particles don't make a full circle and come to a stop.

Originally posted on: 16-Feb-2004, 21:06 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jinpun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I came across a scan from Vol 7 of the NGE Manga that give the clearest view yet of the diagram on the floor of Gendou's office. Here is a side-by-side comparison of that image and one of the bubble chamber images I dug up off of Google:

Needless to say, this makes me even more confident in my theory that the image on the floor is a representation of sub-atomic collisions in a bubble chamber...

Whats your take on what the numbers in the manga picture mean?

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 05:14 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Reichu wrote:Don't say I didn't warn ya...

::maniacal laughter::

Teh link is br0xx0rs!

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 12:00 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Jinpun wrote:Whats your take on what the numbers in the manga picture mean?

Well, if that diagram was reproduced from a textbook, or something of that sort, then the numbers may simply be references to some descriptive index of what kind of particles the different tracks represent.

Perhaps we can prevail upon Reichu to check and see whether this image on the floor in Gendou's office shows up in any of her 'Groundwork of Evangelion' volumes, and if so, is there any indication in the notes as to just what the hell that thing actually is.

I can't swear absolutely that it is a bubble chamber image, but it looks more like one than anything else I can come up with... I will stick with that interpretation of that image until such time as someone offers convincing proof that it is something else (by which I mean, tell me what it is, not just what it isn't...)

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 13:53 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

What about an Astral Chart?

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 14:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Teh link is br0xx0rs!

Fixed.

Shin-seiki wrote:Perhaps we can prevail upon Reichu to check and see whether this image on the floor in Gendou's office shows up in any of her 'Groundwork of Evangelion' volumes, and if so, is there any indication in the notes as to just what the hell that thing actually is.

I'll look around and see if it shows up in any of my art books. Problem is, the notes in Groundwork mostly just tell the animators processing the rough drawings what and what not to do rather than offering any useful tidbits for NGE nerds. But it's worth checking, anyway.

Another possibility is to see if the scripts say anything about Gendou's office. If someone can figure out during which episodes and scenes we see the whole office, I can go take a quick lookie.

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 14:53 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

OK, now that I know what the hell everyone is talking about... I don't think that's blood, since it's either being grabbed by a hand at the end, or it has something attached to it... it looks maybe like a placenta or something... definitely too solid to be blood.

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 19:17 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Well, if that diagram was reproduced from a textbook, or something of that sort, then the numbers may simply be references to some descriptive index of what kind of particles the different tracks represent.-shin seiki-

If you say those number is an index of what kind of particles the different tracks represent then you'll say that each particle goes in a complete circle then comes to a stop. That itself is a disproof.

Perhaps we can prevail upon Reichu to check and see whether this image on the floor in Gendou's office shows up in any of her 'Groundwork of Evangelion' volumes, and if so, is there any indication in the notes as to just what the hell that thing actually is. -shin seiki-

I have all the books and the ones for the movies. Yet I've not seen that anywhere.

I can't swear absolutely that it is a bubble chamber image, but it looks more like one than anything else I can come up with... I will stick with that interpretation of that image until such time as someone offers convincing proof that it is something else (by which I mean, tell me what it is, not just what it isn't...) -shin seiki-

the burden of proof is upon the one who creates a theory. All others must do is disprove your theory.

I will now give you another theory that has not been disproved.

Anyone can make a theory with no proof.
ex.
Those are lines with numbers labeling each one.

That theory would be on equal standing as yours, if you have no proof.

^_^

Originally posted on: 20-Feb-2004, 08:33 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jinpun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Well, if that diagram was reproduced from a textbook, or something of that sort, then the numbers may simply be references to some descriptive index of what kind of particles the different tracks represent.

Could be, but I find it hard to believe that Anno would leave anything in that wasnt necessary...and if they are just simpy for reference couldn't they have been simpy removed?

Also this is a great thread, I appreciate all of your evident hardwork which has been shown throughout the thread

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 21:36 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Here's my theory:

The animators were told to draw a bubble chamber. Not being quantum physicists, they drew circles instead of spirals. Presto, all problems with Shin's theory are solved Image

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 22:12 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I'm waiting for Someone to finally agree with FuzzyChicken. Image

So, can you clarify Fuzzy chicken, how a child got a hold of an Etch-A-Sketch and drew that on Gendou's floor?

Originally posted on: 19-Feb-2004, 22:39 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

WTF? I never said anything about children with etch-a-sketches...

Originally posted on: 20-Feb-2004, 07:03 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

RahOtaku wrote:I'm waiting for Someone to finally agree with FuzzyChicken. Image

I know I'm going to get hit by a very large asteroid because of saying this, but in this case I agree with Fuzzy Chickens. There, I said it, and didn't hurt a bit. But why is it so dark outsi

Originally posted on: 29-Feb-2004, 19:42 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Don't worry, you're not the first.

Originally posted on: 29-Feb-2004, 22:48 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:What about an Astral Chart?

What is an astral chart, by the way?

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 18:15 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

I was digging thru the scans of Evangelion Newtype collection (german version) that I recently downloaded off BitTorrent, when I came across this:

(Here is the full page)

(For purpose of comparison, check out the pic of the European CERN supercollider here)

Now, I only had one year of German, and I've forgotten most of what little I learned, but I can at least pick up on the idea that there was a huge, 15km Cyclotron ("gigantische Zyklotron") at Hakone; and this got me thinking...

A bit of Googling of search terms such as "subatomic" and "particle accelerator" produced some very interesting results; for example, I found this:

which bears a considerable resemblance to this image from Ep16:

Even more interestingly, I found this image of a high-energy atomic collision produced by such a device:

(here is the source page for that image)

If you compare that to the image of the diagram on the floor of Gendou's office on page 17 of Vol 7 of the Manga, I think it's likely that we now know what that diagram is supposed to represent...

(Here are two more images of high-energy collisions that I dug up on Google:
http://www.research.ku.edu/explore/v2n2/mass1.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/18000...174_data300.jpg

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 15:34 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

For the German impaired, this is my best effort at a translation of that picture. (At lest the main paragraph.)

"To the left is a sketch out for the first time, of the situation that Neo-Tokyo 3 represents. The current region between Hiratsuka and Oiso is devoured and becomes part of the sea. In this area, the international airport was erected - see card below. The north of Neo-Tokyo 3 lies exactly on Ashinoko Lake, but in the Auto explosion of Eva-00 in episode 23, Ashinoko (Lake) runs over and the city becomes a casualty.

Below is a coarse presentation of Neo-Tokyo 3 and its environment. "

That's my best stab at it.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 16:21 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:there was a huge, 15km Cyclotron ("gigantische Zyklotron")

Ah, isn't German wonderful? If only the rest of the page was that easy to translate...

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 07:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”