Shinji and Asuka

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Ornette wrote:Anybody can come up with any kind of theory they want. I can say I have a new theory that PenPen is actually Tabris, since he leaves before Kaoru shows up. Will anyone believe it? Probably not, because I can only site this one instance to back up my theory while there are countless others that can be sited that would go against it. I suppose that doesn't mean that it's been truly debunked (or does it?), but nobody's going to believe it unless there's enough evidence that supports it or lack of evidence that goes against it.

Given 2 incongruous theories (say, Asuka on the beach is simply Asuka, and Asuka on the beach is really Asuka, Rei, and Misato), one has a lot of evidence that backs it up, the other just has a slight bit of evidence that backs it up. Which one will you believe?

Now, if you reject the given evidence outright, that's a whole other matter.

Making up blatent theories like the PenPen one is outragiously retarded. I believe both theories on the bases of facts/credability. One is factual, one is theoretical. Asuka was wearing bandages in all the places that the Eva Series and the Lance of Longinous had hurt her while she was still in synch with Unit 02, so therefore she was wearing the bandages and in this case, they would be symbolic of Rei. NGE is full of sybolism and factual information. Look beyond the script and beyond factual answers. There lies new things.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 19:44 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Look beyond the script and beyond factual answers. There lies new things

And those things are more often than not complete and utter bullsh*t.
Examples: Naoko's soul is in Eva 00 and Keel is the Wandering Jew.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 19:46 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Seele08 wrote:And those things are more often than not complete and utter bullsh*t.
Examples: Naoko's soul is in Eva 00 and Keel is the Wandering Jew.

Of course if you make blatent and bullshi$ like of course they will be stupid. Have some sense not to conjure up irrelavent sh%t to make a point.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 19:49 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Well those sh*tty theories are right on par with the Asuka/Rei/Misato wonder-combo chick theory so I posted them.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 19:58 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Seele08 wrote:Well those sh*tty theories are right on par with the Asuka/Rei/Misato wonder-combo chick theory so I posted them.

Still whats your point??? Make yourself clear.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:02 GMT

VSh [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VSh [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Theory doesn%?Dt need any evidential support. A good theory should allow us successfully understand known facts and shouldn%?Dt contradict them. More facts we can understand, the better theory.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:06 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

To stop people arguing past one another (not that I haven't done my fair share of that in the past Image ) I think that Seele08 is trying to say that the 3-in-1 girl on the beach is no more tenable an interpretation as Keel being the Wandering Jew, or Naoko inhabiting EVA-00.

Actually it's easier to discredit the 3-in-1 deal, as we can make reference to all the extra-textual material about how the last scene came about, and how Miyamura Yuuko came up with that final line to replace Anno's script.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

@Seele08: Actually, in NGE, you and I are Angels too... "Messengers of the First Ancestor Race", is basically what the term denotes.

@AsukaxSohryux: If the bandages are meant to form a connection with Rei, you could probably take it this way:
Episode #01: Rei on Street: "Hello Shinji"Episode #01: Rei in Bandages
Rei: It hurts. But I will do anything for Commander Ikari, because I have no will of my own and my existence is doomed to pure suckage, despite really being a space alien and the mother of virtually all life on this planet. I wish I would hurry up and die.
Shinji: Gee, I feel something, but I don't know what, must be my hormones. OMG bl00d!Episode #15:
Shinji: Rei, you'd make a good mom.
Rei: STFU, you're making me blush, and Rei doesn't do such things.Episode #16:
Shinji: Whoa, there's this womanly presence in here that I wasn't really acknowledging before. What's that on my cheek? Holy crap, it's Mom! And she just said, "Sou, yokatta wa ne"!
Later...
Rei: "Sou, yokatta wa ne."
Shinji: Holy fsck! She just said a really common Japanese phrase to me completely by chance, but it really reminds me of Mom! WTF could it mean?!?<insert>#26':
Yui: Well, Son, Mother has secured the future for you. It will suck for a while, but it's better than being a blob of lifeless metabiological energy until the end of time. Mommy has to go on a very long and crappy trip because all of you on Earth will be dead someday, and I owe both of the SoLs a big one anyway. Yui never breaks her promises. Plus they're both kinda dead.
Shinji: Well, that's okay. I'm a big boy now. As long as my bastard dad is in the ocean somewhere, and everyone else comes back, and Misato doesn't try to screw me again, it'll all be good. But I'll miss Ayanami and Kaworu-kun. And you too, Mom.
Yui: You'll be just find. It's time for you to move beyond Mommy. There's a whole world of wimminz out there. Well... if everything goes according to plan, there will.
Shinji: Heh heh heh, I believe it! That inspirational speech you three gave was really awesome! I'll never stick my head into a bucket of water again!
Later on...
Shinji: God dammit! Ayanami! Kaworu-kun! Mother! You all lied to me! They're all dead! I'm going to be alone on this mother-****ing beach with those huge ****ing brainless eyes staring at me and those headless harpy statues everywhere until I die all alone! GODDAMMIT!!!! Help me Asuka! I Need You! I just said the title of this episode! ARGH! :kicks down Asuka's grave marker violently, then goes and lies down on the beach in a total trance:
:splash:
:turn head with big eyes caused by being stared at by GNR for too long:
Shinji: My Holy Mother the Messiah! It's Ayanami, like when she was standing in the middle of the street waiting to be hit by a car! And she's giving me that creepy cold stare again! I hate you, Ayanami!
:Rei vanishes promptly:
Shinji: Figures. I have no expectations anymore... I really wish I had a bucket of water right about now.
:notices somebody else:
Shinji: Grrr! Now that bitch decides to show up! GRRRRRR! ARGHHH! Traitor! Perfidious woman! You betrayed me! You betrayed me and my heart!
:throttle:
:gulp gulp gulp:
:wobble wobble:
:caress:
Shinji: Sweet Adam in an androgynous boy's body! It's just like Mother! ...Mother? ... MOTHER!!!! WAHHHHHH!!!!
:face falls between boobs:
:sob sob sob:
:cold stare:
Asuka: You big baby! YOU MAKE ME WANNA PUKE!
Shinji: You bitch! I'm never going to see my Mother again! STFU!
Asuka You stupid jerk! My mom is DEAD!
Shinji: Oh yeah? Your mom was batsh!t crazy anyway!
Asuka: Why you miserable sunvabitch!
:get into bitchfight and end up making out:
Shinji: Well... Mother is the First Other, but I guess there are plenty of Others. Can you be the Main Course from now on... Asuka?
Asuka: ...
:slap:
Wait... what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. The caress and the bandages go together. They're both things that "introduced" Shinji to Yui and Rei (Yui with her caress, and Rei with her bandages = injuries), who are both his Mother, in a sense. Now that they're both... keeping their distance, Shinji has to move beyond the First Other. This ties into something I said earlier that people actually quoted for a change! w00t!!!

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:20 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

VSh wrote:Theory doesn%?Dt need any evidential support. A good theory should allow us successfully understand known facts and shouldn%?Dt contradict them. More facts we can understand, the better theory.

I agree. Understanding a theory also means you need to have an open mind. Maybe I am to open minded. Anyways, any theory is worth a look at through factual/perceptions/symbolism etc. Its quite entertaining how redundent some people can be. Image. If I pissed anyone off GOOD, no im kidding. I dont want to make any enemies here, just stating my opinions.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:22 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

For the record, PenPen leaves after Kaworu arrives.

Also, bandages and patched eyes are Tokyo 3's most commonly sustained injuries.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:47 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Its quite entertaining how redundent some people can be. . If I pissed anyone off GOOD, no im kidding. I dont want to make any enemies here, just stating my opinions.

If you don't want to make enemies don't be so hostile because someone doesn't agree with your viewpoint.

Originally posted on: 27-Jan-2006, 08:49 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

AsukaxSohryux wrote:Nothing can be truly debunked. Especially theoretical ideas, goes against the rules of philosophy. There is still slight evidence out there about the combo of all 3 into Asuka, meaning it hasnt been debunked.

No evidence whatsoever for that. Plenty of evidence that contradicts it. It has been most thoroughly and utterly debunked. I'm sorry to say that you simply lack a grasp of the analytical process. You can't just say any old thing and call it a theory.

VSh wrote:Theory doesn%?Dt need any evidential support. A good theory should allow us successfully understand known facts and shouldn%?Dt contradict them. More facts we can understand, the better theory.

Well what do you call those "known facts"? That's right, evidential support. The above theory has no known facts to support it, and several which go against it. Unless a theory can be shown to be more likely to be true than untrue, it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:00 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I have trouble beleiving baseless theories or theories with very weak support, I've has some training in Biology at my university and it has lead to me having a rather skeptic and scientific mode of thinking. I tend to go with the most elegant solution rather than the most "fun" solution or "open-minded" solution. In short I'm a cranky scientific bitch.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:07 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Seele08 wrote:I have trouble beleiving baseless theories or theories with very weak support, I've has some training in Biology at my university and it has lead to me having a rather skeptic and scientific mode of thinking. I tend to go with the most elegant solution rather than the most "fun" solution or "open-minded" solution. In short I'm a cranky scientific bitch.

I understand, its all about personality I guess. I guess I couldnt been a litle less hostile towards you, and for that I apologize.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:10 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

@Seele08

So - what's your take on the topic of this thread? Not just on the 3-in-1 digression, but what the state of play between Second and Third was.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:10 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Asuka and Shinji are too messed up to be together...I would say Asuka was better for Shinji than Rei. Asuka is bold where Shinji is a coward, Asuka makes no apologies and that's all Shinji does, they might have at some point have had crushes in tandem, but a long-lasting relationship (without some massive therapy for both of them) is out of the question.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

This thread needs to acknowledge Reichu's particular brand of levity a little more fiercely. It's going bad places again. (The thread, that is. My levity NEVER goes anywhere bad. NEVAR!!11)

http://animenation.net/forums/showp...8&postcount=718

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:17 GMT

VSh [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VSh [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Seele08 wrote:I tend to go with the most elegant solution rather than the most "fun" solution or "open-minded" solution.

The most elegant solution is usually open-minded.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:20 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Reichu wrote:This thread needs to acknowledge Reichu's particular brand of levity a little more fiercely.

I was with you most of the way, but I can of course make no comment. Image

Reichu wrote:My levity NEVER goes anywhere bad. NEVAR!!11

No, simply places that are rather twisted.

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:23 GMT

VSh [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VSh [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Soluzar wrote:Well what do you call those "known facts"? That's right, evidential support. The above theory has no known facts to support it, and several which go against it. Unless a theory can be shown to be more likely to be true than untrue, it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

In search of support you cannot move forward from simple phenomenology.

"The above theory", probably, has some problems. But my original idea has huge "support" in fact that they are alone in the shore. Where are all other people?

Originally posted on: 26-Jan-2006, 21:30 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”